SixersBeat Radio Show Tonight, The Jodie Meeks Special!

Francisco Elson on Feb 18 at 17:48

WHAT ABOUT ME BRIAN? WHAT ABOUT MEEEEEE?

you sound like Sam.

Heh. I hope you have better street clothes than Primoz did. :)

The Greek on Feb 18 at 18:01

Yes my question is what the fuck do I as a die hard sixers fan have to look forward to in the offseason? Another mid teen draft pick? Why not just a straight kick to my nuts?

Is it next years deadline when we could deal away Sammy, Willie, and Kapono? What's there to be happy about with this piece of shit team?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 18:06

Jrue Holiday

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 18:10

not enough

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 18:29

Speights and Thad?

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 18:38

I love Thad but he has been made a bench player by his shitty coach. I like Speights but his lack of defensive awareness is pathetic.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 19:20

I just wrote something

I'm not sure it's Jorans fault that Thad has forgotten how to play basketball is it.

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:07

Just got off a conference call with Stefanski. He said, "We were active and called a lot of teams. We got involved in a couple two-team trade (talk), three-team trades and even a four-. We never got what we thought was value from a trade standpoint."

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:09

Asked what areas he was trying to upgrade, Stefanski said, "We wanted to really balance the roster, if we couldf. We have numerous 4 men. We were looking to get a 2 man --that's an interesting spot for us. Or a 2/3 kind od guy. We looked at the point guard situation. We went across the board after a while."

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:14

Stefanski on Meeks: "We were scrambling at the beginning of the second round to get a pick (for Meeks last June). We like his upside. Obviously, we’ll see, We’ll get to see if all the scouts were right on this guy."

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:18

Asked what he'd say to fans who think getting Meeks isn't enough, Stefanski said, "There was nothing out there that we could’ve gotten back that would’ve helped us on the floor. We were looking for basketball deals that would help us."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:32

No basketball deals help when your coach is Eie Joran do they?

I'd love to see Stefanski try and say with a straight face that this team is just one or two 'pieces' away from contending for a title - i mean sure if those pieces are lebron and chris bosh - but come on ed - no one with a clue believees THIS roster is going to contend for an ECF berth while Brand (and possibly Iguodala) are still capapble of cintributing

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 18:34

I'd love to see Stefanski show some cojones and do another blogger conference call...even with a 7 second delay

Kevin Ollie on Feb 18 at 18:39

If only you had brought me back into town. You know I would have taken you to the promise land...

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 18:58

Stefanski: "Our talent is too good to have this record. the 12-game losing streak really hurt us."

If your talent is too good to have this record, then whose fault is it? And why hasn't that person been fired?

khouse reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 19:22

Same bullshit...different day!

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 21:15

Eddie Jordan's response when Brandon Roy said the exact same thing a few weeks ago :

"That's his opinion"

LOL. I would love to see someone ask EJ about Stefs quote... and see if he gives the same response. He'd be fired

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 19:17

Jordan, when informed the Sixers have to go 21-8 just to reach .500: "Anything can happen. Twenty-one and 8 — is it realistic? You’ve got to really catch fire. I’m not going to count anything out."

Enjoy the show, Brian. Well said.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 19:21

Ask the coach if he knows he's closer to 14th place (2 games) than 8th place (6.5 games) in the east.

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 19:32

I've read this in a few places today and just want to clear it up.

Even if the sixers HAD their second round pick last year, they couldn't have gotten DeJuan Blair or Chase Budinger, both were gone by the time the wolves selected who they selected. The only name I even recognized as playing this year that the sixers could have picked up was AJ Price

From what I understand regarding each of the last 2 years, the chance to move up was available but to do it you needed cash + a #2. They had the cash, but without a pick to throw in they could not make a deal to move up.

If the Sixers lose every game this year they can still have a shot at wall!

TANK TANK TANK!

But we all know the Sixers will go into super winter mode and go like 21 and 8 for the stretch run. SI will write the annual "The Sixers are hot again!" page in their magazine and then we will get blown out in the first round! YEAH!

Mike P. reply to Mike P. on Feb 18 at 20:13

Ha, Iggy asking for Evan Turners twitter.

Could that signal the beginning of tankapalooza? Lets hope!

I'd be shocked if they did it this year. Not after what I saw in that Miami game.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:12

At first I thought you meant tanking.

Then I realized you meant the winter ownage.

Perhaps the miami game was just the beginning of the sixers realizing their true destiny in the tanking hall of fame.

Wall, Turner, Johnson, Cousins, Favors, Monroe, I'd be pretty happy to get any of those guys.

I get the feeling I'm going to have more time this season to focus on researching potential draft picks than in the past.

eddies' heady's on Feb 18 at 20:49

Yeah, Greg Monroe, Greg Monroe!

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 18 at 21:03

Do you know how long it has been since we have had a center that could create with his ability to pass, and actually have just one post move (in addition to an array of post moves), and be able to adequately dribble the ball and use that dribble to create for himself on the drive or with his back to the basket? And knock down free throws at a respectable rate?

Yeah,... it's been that long and Monroe certainly fits the bill. Gosh, I can only hope we get him!

Monroe's shooting 64% from the line.

Not disagreeing with you about maybe drafting him, but knocking down FTs doesn't seem like his forte.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:07

But it's not so much his percentage (I didn't even know what it was), but just look at his form and stroke. It's damn near textbook.

On foul shots I'd prefer an 80% guy with horrible form to 64% with text-book form.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:17

But keep in mind we are talking about a 'big' or post player here. 80% usually isn't the norm for 6'10" and 7' guys.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:32

I knew you would go pull something out of the hat :)

Notice I said usually not the norm though.

I watch him a lot, this year and last year, he just isn't polished enough for me. He's a thought but more on the project side to me. He doesn't show me much in the repertoire of offensively. Now defense is another story esp shot blocking.

But as I said below I'm tired of not having a viable post option to not only be a threat but to draw defenses and open things up for everyone else considering the many slashers we have.

Yeah, I don't really know anything about him, the FT%, the Blocks and the low foul rate stood out for me. And the size, obviously.

I'm coming around to Monroe. He's one of the guys I'm going to be keying on from here on out.

I've got every game he's played on tape. To this point I've pretty much only watched when he's on TV. I want to see his tendencies in the post. Right now he's got virtually no right hand, and I worry about his effectiveness when NBA defenses really key on that. Then again, I don't think half of NBA defenders are smart enough to remember when a guy's left handed, and some seem to get away without having an off hand.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 18 at 21:16

yeah, I would like to see what you think after pouring over the tapes. But really, all of these 'kids' have a lot of flaws and weaknesses at that age.

It's just been like pulling teeth having to watch Sammy, Theo, MacCulloch, and Dikembe be so limited skill-wise. The guy is just so smooth with his handle whether using it to drive or to back his man down.

I agree on his lack of right hand but hell that's a lot better than Sam having none. I would just love to have an actual big or five man that could be a viable option on offense for once. It seems it's been an eternity since we really had one.

oh, offensively he'd be worlds ahead of the crop of centers even if you chopped off his right hand. I'm just talking in the context of him being worth the #8 pick (or wherever we pick)

Monroe looks like a guy who is really figuring it out... on an elite college level. Same can be said about Evan Turner. But neither have such superior talent to have been dominant from day one like Wall or even to an extent Rose was.

That does not mean they can't be stars. But it suggests to me they may have to go through a bit of an adjustnent period too when they hit the NBA. And with Monroe its not a sure thing that he breaks through to an impact player like he has been able to in college.

eddies' heady's on Feb 18 at 21:23

LOL! Man, I've got to give Ward and Bodner credit. Y'all sounded like really somber tonight and rightfully so. The draft talk was long (as mentioned), but how much talking can you do about such a sad-sack franchise?

Kudos for gutting it out!

Part of my sounding somber is I'm getting over a cold I've had for the past week+. But the situation didn't help.

Probably going to see more draft talk coming up. Maybe not as much as tonight's show. From a basketball standpoint, the draft is my focus from not 'til the end of June. We'll probably have Givony on in the coming weeks (and again closer to the draft) to get his thoughts on the Sixers and potential draftees as well.

Hell, with Jon's connections I can probably get a decent sized name, but I don't want to commit to anything now.

Sixers get mention at the end of this.

:) That brought a smile to my face.

sfw reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:35

I know that's not easy today. Just think if the Sixers got rid of EJ there'd be smiles around.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that would do more good in terms of fan relations at this point.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 21:37

Me, too. Ira Winderman is a good writer -- covers the Heat.

You can tell he has the pulse of the league. He must have just been here and got a first hand look at EJ's work.

Thank you, brought another smile to the Delaware Valley. When, not if, Jordan is fired, what a day that will be here in the Philadelphia Area. I have a feeling there will be a run for 76er tickets that day!

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 21:28

I asked Brand yesterday if he believes Jordan is the right coach for this team. He was diplomatic: "Um, we’ve still got 29 games left. I think that’s a question to ask then. He has different rotations and different things he’s working on, but I think we’ve got to give him a solid chance after these games. If we make a good run like we know we can, then he is the guy. Absolutely."

As always, thanks for the updates. Also good pointed question to Brand... and even more impressive diplomatic answer. I can see how the man is a movie producer, he knows how to be diplomatic and say the right thing when put on the spot.

Tom Moore reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 22:06

Asked him privately away after the group interview. Know he's not a big Jordan fan, but he wouldn't throw his coach under the bus.

The reverse is not always true.

Decent game for LBJ here.

I just turned the game on and in 30 seconds Mo Williams scored more points against Ty Lawson than Williams scored against Jrue in like 20+ minutes when the Sixers faced the Cavs.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 22:41

I'm totally over Ty by now. Jrue has the potential to be great if he ever gets to play.

I'm all for constructing the team around Iggy and Jrue. You get two long defenders, too bad our GM is bad.

that game was aweeesssoomme. i love those kind of games, two great teams in overtime, especially when you get to see two of the best in the nba right now in melo and lebron go at it. i can't wait for the year when (if) the sixers are in games like that.

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 23:05

Since I'm predicting the #10 pick (or top 3) is greg monroe around at #10 / worth #10?