Same Team, Same Results?

Is Jodie playing today? I think i'm one of the few who thinks he'll be good.

Eddie Jordan's quote on Meeks, "Maybe he'll play if we're up 30." from Kate Fagan on Twitter.

Wondering if the pitifully low interest level in this team has actually dropped lower after yesterday.

The Greek reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:14

Yes Brian, for many yesterday was the actual point of hitting rock bottom. Great point on Sammy versus Duncan, he always gives him trouble blocking his shots without any help.

Magee in response to the other post your saying that if we could have gotten rid of Sammy for a 2nd rounder last year that it would have been a stupid move? LOL next time I go and read one of your long ass fan blogs please pass me whatever you stuffed into that pipe of yours. It would have been Stefanski only good move.

Alright, we're off.

Man, SAS is really, really small here. Parker, Bogans, Hill, Duncan, Bonner.

Jrue in rhythm.

Good start for Jrue and AI9, no one else has hit a shot yet.

Brand finally hit one.

Decent basketball being played now. Pop looks pissed off.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:26

If you're team wanted to contend in the west wouldn't you be pissed off if you ever were behind to this team?

I'm all for raising women's heart disease awareness, but using it to try to sell tickets WITHOUT donating a portion of the proceeds to the cause, is pretty poor form:

"Special "Go Red Diva" ticket package available for $95; includes 2 club box tickets, 2 salads, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 red boas"

JohnEMagee reply to Rick on Feb 19 at 19:27

Actually - that package is pretty poor form - 2 red boas? Sixers PR department might want to hire someone without a penis?

Rick reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 19:30

Ha! Seriously, that really is a lame promotion.

Feed from EB to SD for the dunk. Nice play, Brand had a 15-footer, but didn't settle, good to see.

Jrue is really feeling good, 4/5 from the floor.

The way that Jrue attacked Duncan on the fast break a few plays ago was textbook. I'd like to see Thad go that strong and right at the shot-blocker.

Extending Jrue a little bit here. Unfortunately we have Speights at the five and Thad at the four.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:32

It's becoming clear who is deciding who plays, so just fire the coach and make the GM Be the actual coach

Jesus, Blair is going to eat those two alive. Not to mention neither of them is going to be challenging shots.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:34

There's no reason Speights shouldn't be able to guard Blair - he's got him on height and he's not frail -= he's just useless defensively

Well, this did look like a pretty good quarter until the bench came in.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:35

I wonder how many games you've used that same sentiment in this year.

All of 'em?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:37

But thank god the GM believes the sixers are close right?

That's a shame, going that small up front killed a very good quarter before that.

Down by uno after uno. Had a seven-point lead until Speights was subbed in for Sammy, then Thad for Brand. Ugh.

Wondering how long Jordan's going to stick with that front court.

On the bright side, only 1 turnover by PHI and 0 offensive boards for san antonio.

Wow, this is some sick defense being played right now.

Wide fucking open layups. Lou doing absolutely nothing to even slow down parker off the dribble.

I love how Zumoff was praising Blair after that bucket. Speights just jet him catch and lay it in. That looked like he was playing for Schenley in high school.

Fucking touch foul. God damnit, I hate that shit. Fucking wrap him up if you're going to foul him.

Do you think EJ meant tonight or the entire season when he said "I don't think he's going to be in the rotation"?

Via Kate Fagan:
"Asked if Meeks would get any run tonight, Jordan said: "I think if we’re up 30, he may get in, that’s probably what I’m looking at right now. I don’t think he’s going to be in the rotation, but you never know."

I don't know how you can keep a straight face when you're interviewing that douche.

Jrue back in already, man I hope Willie's injury keeps him out for months.

Speights scores then lets Blair score. That's Eddie Jordan basketball right there.

He also loves it when Lou wildly sprints the ball up the floor off makes.

Anyone see that accidental rebound Thad just grabbed? Look what I found!

bullshit foul right there.

Sammy!

Damnit Lou, that's possibly the first time you've overpassed on a fast break in your life.

Great outlet by Jrue and a nice find by him to Sammy posting in the lane. Kid's just got instincts.

+15 w/ Sammy on the floor now.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 19:57

Real good lineup here too.

any news on willie's injury and how long he will be out?

Forever, I hope.

oh man me too

Dumb pass by Jrue there and too much dribbling.

Bad decision by Jrue.

Jrue followed it up with a nice spin for a banker.

Man, that got ugly fast. 10-2 run by SAS.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:02

Come on, be aware Jrue.

He got the ball w/ 3 seconds left on the SC, and beat the buzzer. That wasn't his fault.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:11

But he had the look and open shot when he first got the ball and the clock was low already then too. He dribbled his way into a ended-up tougher shot that he had to force b/c of the buzzer.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:15

In other words, he got it with more than three I think b/c someone on the staff was calling out around five sec left from the bench and he had it then,... I think. He should have been aware of the clock already being at five and took that open look he had as soon as he caught it.

I think he got it at three, took that one dribble, then put it up. Pulling hairs here. Either way, not his fault, he got it very late in the clock.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:22

But it wasn't placing fault, it was wanting him to be better. Nothing wrong with that.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:04

I will be....just foul him hard after you hear that whistle, Dre.

Nine turnovers in this quarter, I believe Jrue has 3. Man, that was a disappointing finish to the half right there.

Parker was 1/7 in the first half. The 1 being a drive right by Lou for an uncontested layup. Jrue didn't let him in the paint at all and had a hand in his face on all his jumpers.

Good first half for Jrue, a couple bad plays w/ the ball on the offensive end, but overall a very strong half of basketball.

Blair just has an enormous advantage over Speights and Thad, that matchup is going to kill us all game.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:11

Pretty good half by Jrue, not great. I hate turnovers and as a PG they are really important and he had 2 real bad ones. Everything else positive though. The shot at the end wasn't his fault.

At least he's been allowed to play through it so far.

Alright, good start to the third +1 for EB, off a nice feed from AI9 (I think).

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:23

I thought the pass was for Sammy. It looked tricky when it happened.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:27

Come on AI, letting his man leak in the paint. Pinckney afraid to call it like that, skirting around it. heh

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 22:19

You expect Iverson to play defense - now?

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 23:49

It was off the ball.

Come on man, you're responding to a comment based off of live action, but it's two hours later. You're not privy to the context.

Ugh, 10 more FTA for SAS.

Is Sammy in Duncan's head?

Well, that's four on Sammy, so I guess not.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:29

They look like they want to win this game. That's a good sign. Looked like that pretty much all night.

Well..., except for when Lou is in, sorry.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 22:23

So many people look like they want to lose games when they play professional sports for a living

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 23:46

I hope you meant that.

I guess when you have 5,000 people in the stands there is no such thing as home court advantage.

Sammy just got tossed.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:32

Good ball denial Jrue. ugh Dala misses a bunny and now a goaltend. shoot

You know what I'd like to see, a fight. that's what this team needs, IMO.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:34

You know, I usually despise that crap, mainly for the sanctity of the game, but sadly I would like to see it too. I really would.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:33

And if you eject someone, how do you eject Samuel Dalembert? I mean, Sammy?

Sammy was pissed, called him for two bullshit fouls in a row. Then he must've sworn at the ref in creole when they called brand for the offensive foul.

The Greek on Feb 19 at 20:34

Brian, this collection of pussies would never get into a fight.

I'd still like to see it.

The Greek reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:36

Remember when Hedu got in Sammys face last year during the playoffs? Sammy kissed him!

eddies' heady's reply to The Greek on Feb 19 at 20:37

If only Snider would listen to Snyder...

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:39

On the collection of pussies tidbit.

Court_visioN on Feb 19 at 20:37

of course, lou gives up the open three. of course.

8 feet away, he didn't even take a god damned step toward him.

Nice fucking D Lou, just stand there and watch your man drain a three.

The Greek on Feb 19 at 20:39

This team is basically a collection of losers, from the owner right down to Lou Williams.

Thad seriously doesn't give a shit about defensive rebounding. No effort whatsoever. Please stop playing him at the four.

i honestly am starting to HATE lou. the fact that he keeps getting blown by on d over and over and over and then runs up and takes stupid asshole 18-20 footers 5 seconds into the shot clock pisses me off so much. i would have loved it sooo much if he got traded

raro reply to Tyler on Feb 19 at 20:45

Lou has been my least favorite player for a while now. Maybe the fans will start hating him instead of Iguodala and Sammy...

One can only hope

Alvin reply to Tyler on Feb 19 at 21:43

Yeah he may occasionally have good shooting nights like today, but considering the points he gives up and all the dumb (and selfish) plays, he usually does more harm than good.

And he thinks he's bloody great. That annoys me to no end.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:43

SHeesh, a three at the buzzer....really is Thad good for much more than just getting you runouts? And hell he blows a third of them.

Court_visioN on Feb 19 at 20:44

brand telling lou you gotta fight your way past these screens man. Lou just sticks to every pick.

They want this. And by they I pretty much mean Jrue, Brand and Iguodala.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:45

Yep, Sammy too if he would have been left out there.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:45

Well damn, Lou actually gave a good pass on a break. Mark that shit down, cause that's rare.

Great D. Get a fucking hoop here damnit.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:46

Dag, EB, that was a weak attempt at that gimmie.

Down three heading to the fourth.

You know if you're going to go small, fuck Thad. I'd rather see Carney at the three and Iguodala at the four at this point. Thad's 2/6, he has 3 turnovers and 1 rebound in 15 minutes.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:59

Funny, I totally agree and thought that at halftime after Thad's unimpressive first half. I want to see more Carney, to evaluate him and see could he offer more than Thad.

The Greek on Feb 19 at 20:49

Enjoy this Brian, an article about a real team.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:50

Sweet Jrue! Lob!

Speights and Thad up front to start the fourth. F me.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:51

I was just thinking when Marreese came in, JSmith is out and Brezec is gone and Elson is injured. Now with Sam out, who else can he put in? With Duncan or Blair in there.

No one. He'd have to ride Brand, on the first night of a b-to-b.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:55

So as long as J is out, he has to get time. Whether good or bad is tbd, but he needs to show something.

Tie ball game. Thad w/ a steal, defensive board and a drive that resulted in free throws. Must be his twin brother out there.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:52

lol....quote of the day!

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 20:54

It pains me to hear the PA guy go Looouuuuuuu after he makes a shot!

Cuz I really am thinking I hope he's copying me saying... eeewwwwwwwww!

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:11

Keep saying Lou, PA guy...LOL

Jrue's going to play 40+, game of the fucking year.

CB reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 20:58

Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Man, I didn't realize how fat no knees is.

Just imagine Wall out there with Jrue rather than Lou.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:01

Lou even though I want you to go, I will still ride your ass to a victory. But we know it's shortlived.

Iguodala is too much man for anyone on the Spurs.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:02

Zum: Andre, YES!.... kisssing that hand for good luck.

You know what, fuck it. Fuck the draft, fuck Jordan, fuck Stefanski. This is fun to watch right now.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:03

It sure is!

Even Lou is trying.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 21:05

He must be trying to impress some girl. I'll take it.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:05

That damn Lou! Block on Mason jr

Holy passing.

38 fast break points. Wow.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:06

See Lou what happens when you actually pass the ball. I'm going to keep ragging you if you keep playing like this.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:08

Effort through the roof from all five. All five I said...

Good point by Zum. Dalembert getting tossed and those bad calls seemed to rally the team.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 21:12

Closest thing to a fight?

They can't miss!

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:09

Yeah Thad, just challenging the shot can throw a guy off that much.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:10

But when they did miss, wasn't it a serious brick? lol

Heh, I have to say it.

Spur down on the floor hurt, Sixers have 4 on 5. Jordan calls a timeout :)

My internet went down, but wow, that was some great basketball. Gotta say Lou was great.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:12

Loooouuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good to see the team like this again, i doubt it will last past this game though but what do i know

eddies' heady's reply to Tyler on Feb 19 at 21:14

None of us know, but it feels good to hope, even if it is only for a day.

JODIE!!!!!

Meeks is a gunner :)

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:15

Ok, AI's not on the floor, EB gets a backdoor dunk. Can we stop saying they haven't been running some of "their" version of the PO? I saw bits and pieces of it when he was out for those 5 or so games.

Uh, the first backdoor play I've seen in a couple months, against SAS's 4th string with a 14 point lead and about two minutes left. I'm not sure that proves anything.

Nah he just caught McDyess sleeping. Did you see any else of it tonight? I didn't and I pay close attention to that every game.

Most of it was done on the break. It's painfully obvious that a good, dominant win needs them to run.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:27

But the variations they run and different versions of it as a whole, aren't just made up of backdoor cuts. The handoffs, the flare screening, the isolation looks it creates, some of the pindowns, a few Triangle principles.

If you're not seeing that, it's because you just don't want to see it.

They ran that 20 percent of the time max and that's just dribble hand-off stuff. It has to be effective to be good. What creates isolations? You can just give the guy the ball and get that. Triangle stuff is not PO by the way, the most they do is run pick and roll off PO. They run it to initiate offense sometimes, but the offense does not really create good shots, the players do after the first couple movements. They don't even look to score when they are running those flare screens and handoffs.

That EB play was not an example of PO. He just went to post and McDyess overplayed and he caught him napping.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:42

"What creates isolations? You can just give the guy the ball and get that."

But it's the mismatches on those isolations the handoffs create.

But, OK coach, we just see if differently then, and nothing wrong with that.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:51

"They don't even look to score when they are running those flare screens and handoffs."

And you know that's when the lack of IQ kicks in, because they are not capitalizing on the look when it presents itself, they are just caught up in 'running it'. They are thinking moreso than reacting.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:31

And it's obvious that I agreed with the last sentence of your statement at my comment at 9:22 also. That's why I wanted some kind of trade, because they are so flawed. Playing that way will get you by through a season, but it never pans out when seeing the playoffs in series format.

Yeah, but this won't be the answer in the playoffs. They honestly need a great Elton Brand to win that way.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:17

Look at the crowd standing up. Shit, I'm going to stand up too!

12-point win. Best effort I've seen from this team all season. 45 minutes for Jrue, I believe.

BTW, Iverson looked plenty happy with his team's effort tonight, which he wasn't really a part of at all. He actually looked ecstatic, smiling and clapping. Gotta love that he's grown up :)

if only he was grown up when he was good..oh well ill take it

Rich reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:23

Positive effort from everyone who played big minutes except Iverson.

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:22

When Lou and Thad run out they look good. But the game is about soooo much more than running out, that AAU shit.

If they could just ever get......."it"........they would be so much more effective, and that's the goal anyway - efficiency, but they don't process that in the mental sense when they are on the court, they try to achieve it in the physical. And that can only make you so good.

Btw, that was the perfect Iguodala game.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 21:28

Jordan took time to take a little of the light off of Lou and put it on Andre in the press conference. He said that he was just solid and praised the assists and turnovers.

I still think he should be fired immediately, but at least he's starting to get that part of it.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 21:34

He sure did play spirited. And that is the most apt word I could come up with to describe his play tonight. Whew.

Statman reply to Brian on Feb 19 at 22:13

Btw, that was the perfect Iguodala game.

You're not kidding. He led the team (or tied for the lead) in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. With zero turnovers. How often do you see that? But he did miss a couple jumpers in the 3rd, so the haters will no doubt still be complaining ...

eddies' heady's on Feb 19 at 21:37

The most indelible moment from tonight's game has to be Lou giving the ball up on the break twice tonight. How rare is that? One he got as assist and the other he got back for an and-one, I think.

He turned one over too, a pass nonetheless though.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Feb 19 at 21:55

Well at least he didn't bring out the Leaning Lou version too much tonight...

JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 22:23

What the hell got into lou tonight - that's an almost resptecable line ;)

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 22:36

what that cliche? about the sun shining on every dogs ass one day or something like that.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Feb 19 at 22:38

And great game or not, Lou is a fkn dog. Too bad the deadline is over.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 19 at 22:51

Blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

broken clock right twice a day

something like that :)

Reading this game thread after the fact you'd think the sixers had no shot in this game :)

It was night and day after Sam got tossed. Didn't think they had a prayer before that.

JohnEMagee on Feb 19 at 22:33

The Spurs have lost eight of their last 10 trips to Philadelphia, dating back to the 1999-2000 season.

See - it was in the bag from the beginning

I know correlation doesn't equal causation . . . . but Green was a DNP tonight because of that shoulder injury. Wonder what happens if the Sixers 'defensive stopper' misses a few more games and his minutes actually go to people who can contribute at least on one end of the floor.

For all of the crowing about Meeks, he got a whopping 1 minute. When Green comes back, he will be a DNP almost every night.

Too early to tell what kind of role Meeks is going to have. He was a last-minute activation after the physicals.

My guess is that he doesn't get a ton of minutes, though. I think Jordan's being forced to play Jrue, not sure he'll get any pressure to play Meeks and he's already stated how much he likes playing his vets.

MG77 reply to Brian on Feb 20 at 0:51

My bet is it is an incredibly minimal one. My guess is he averages around 4-5 minutes a night and has his share of DNP. 11th man/5th guard who is almost a complete nonfactor.

Maybe he gets a bit more time with Green out but can't it will be more than a max of 9-10 minutes/night. Meeks stinks but so does Green.