Measuring Iverson's Impact

deepsixersuede on Feb 23 at 7:27

I lost some respect for D.Lynam for even suggesting he is part of the problem, this just gives the writers another excuse to avoid our coaches issues.

ItAintEZ reply to deepsixersuede on Feb 23 at 8:26

Hmmm...I wonder if she is close with any of the coaches and is just passing along his feelings.

deepsixersuede on Feb 23 at 7:37

" And dare we ask how long were the sixers going to hold back the development of Willie Green and Jrue Holliday," That S. A. Smith had me spitting up my coffee, what an idiot !!!

Here's the splits of games Iverson played in and games Iverson didn't (including individual player statistics):

Statman reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 23 at 10:54

The conclusion I draw from looking at these stats is that Kapono can't play with Iverson ;-)

You could probably cut off that last prepositional phrase and still have it be accurate.

JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 9:33

TYreke Evans is a draw? Does he have local ties?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 9:46

Ok...when determining Iversons attendance impact, if you want to determine the average attendance, and you're eliminating outliers, then you should eliminate the first game back as well shouldn't you?

I did eliminate it from the average, but included it in the number of fans he added. Made sense that way to me.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 9:58

Ok, must be early, didn't read it that way, my bad. Makes total sense.

Funny thing is this isn't even the biggest 'player leaves franchise' story today because of Tomlinson

I agree with you, Brian. I hope that he comes back and plays atleast 1 last game so we can give him thanks for the memories! I would expect that will happen given this has been all about attendance from the beginning!

The Greek on Feb 23 at 10:26

I would love to know how the average NBA attendance stacks up versus the NHL during the last few seasons.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 10:27

I'm betting you could find NHL attendance numbers

JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 10:56

So I'm not sure if you all listen to the Bill Simmons podcast - i do based on who the guest is - and the most recent one is Brians favorite GM from the Rockets

The Wizard?

He was the big winner at the deadline.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 11:09

No, it's not the man who stole Jodie Meeks from the Bucks

The Greek on Feb 23 at 11:03

Yes he was, and that cartoon kicked ass!

The Greek on Feb 23 at 11:52

With no Iverson and maybe no Willie does that mean that we may see Meeks get 15 minutes tonight?

The Greek on Feb 23 at 12:08

Somehow the real deadline winners might be the Wizards, the real one's from Washington. There 3-1 since the trade and there PF/C combo of Blatche and to a lesser degree John's son Javale McGee have been awesome.

Speights has often been compared to Blatche, and now Blatche appears to have turned the corner. Hopefully someday Speights will to but I am losing hope on him.

If the Knicks, Wizards and Kings all wind up being better because of their deadline deals, and win some games, the Sixers may wind up being the big winners. It'd be nice if those three teams could move ahead of us in the standings. That would put us right around the #6 pick, with a better shot at the top 3.

The Greek reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 12:32

I think that Washington will def. pass us, the knicks will try their hardest and I'm sure it will be a photo finish in that race. I don't think that Sacramento has a chance to get by us. Hopefully the pacers can win some games and get by us as well. Oh the life of a Sixers fan, same shit every year.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 12:49

I don't think the knicks got that much better - i mean how many points did they score last night? The only defensive big man they even had is no longer available and McGrady is already bitching about his knees? He's like pedro - he needs twice the amount of rest between games as a normal player to be effective and still has to be limited in use.

Yes the wiz are 3-1 since the deal - whoopy - the sixers won 5 straight before the deadline - the 1 loss the wiz had was against the boshless raptors on the second half of a back to back where they blew a 9 point lead in the 4th allowing the raps to go on a 14 point run.

The 'young guys' on the wiz everyone loves to rave about are the epitome of inconsistent - and they're still starting foye/miller in the back court.

Additionally, Kings, Wiz, Knicks coaches probably much more secure in their futures than Coach Joran. I don't think any of those 3 are in any danger of losing their jobs regardless of how their teams finish.

You can combine the Sixers, Wizards, Nets and Knicks roster and you would still only have a middling playoff team.

That would make a 48 player roster of I-95 crappiness.

Hmmn, combining the Sixers, Knicks, Nets and Wizards:

Starting 5

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Mike Miller?
SF: Iguodala
PF: Brand?
C: Brook Lopez

Ugh.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 17:34

Courtney Lee over Mike Miller maybe?

You'd play brand over lee huh? THems fighting words in knicks land (though a lot of suns fans like him as a 'cheaper' alternative to amare next season)

The Wizard is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

I don't think the wizards will win more games than we will, sorry to burst bubbles. javale mcgee, really?

The Sixers will get our hopes up by losing a bunch over the next 2 weeks.

But mark my words, they have another lottery busting run in them. Made infinitely more painful by the BS we will hear from assorted sh$t-Eds about turning the corner.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 13:06

Well I don't think they have any chance of getting out of the lottery - do you? Low lottery...sure...but I don't seem them getting into the playoffs

Sorry, I mean lottery ods.

As in 10th gives you only a 4% chance at a top 3 pick.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 13:17

Oh, no, I've given up on even a top 5 pick a couple weeks ago...sadly the deadline and facing reality was the only hope to me - and Stefanski seems still delusional.

Shawn reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 13:41

I can see it now... Iggz draining fadeaway 3s at the buzzer to beat teams like the Suns or the Bobcats. get ready for 10 games under 500

JohnEMagee reply to Shawn on Feb 23 at 13:47

Iguodala would never do that - against any team - in his entire career - he is the worst 'clutch' player, like ever.

So I'm told

Shawn reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 13:53

haha, stop baiting brian

JohnEMagee reply to Shawn on Feb 23 at 13:54

Well, I may be baiting people, but it's not Brian

But most of the Iguo-haters post on other boards. Driven away by Brian's rational respect for the man's game.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 22:49

no, i havent been driven away. i blog here all the time. but i have softened my stance on Iguodala. i realize he doesnt have a bad contract. its actually pretty fair.

but dont sit here and joke that the guy is clutch. I dont have stats, numbers, adj +/- or any of that crap. I have the eye-test. which means that I have seen him make too many bad plays with the game on the line and miss too many would-be game winners. laugh and giggle all you want but the guy hasnt gotten it done.

Another blow to tanking. Josh Howards torn ACL- out for season.

...fire the Sh!t-Eds.

jkay reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 14:50

Frag!! bottom teams are eating up the bad luck wholesale. Wizzies should soon give the Nets a run for their money.

OT...

Westbrook just released.

So AI and Westbrook- could McNabb be far behind. Looks like we are truly entering a new decade.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 14:14

Which would cause more (incorrect) rejoicing I wonder (as a percentage of fan base only, not gross celebraters) - The handing over of the eagles to kevin kolb or the handing over of the sixers to Thaddeus young and Elton Brand?

Anyone who didn't see Westbrook getting released wasn't paying attention anyway - San Diego radio is pimping LT to Philly - but then they talk about how he has to go to a team that runs which i find confusing

Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 14:49

Iverson is only 69 points from becoming the second player in franchise history to score 20,000 points here (Hal Greer).

Lets get him to 20,00 and retire #3.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 15:38

Don't think it matters much anyway, if we want to let him stay to get a milestone - he's close to 25K for his career

He's more than 600 pts away- so would not have made it this year.

But does that include his playoff pts?

Tom Moore reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 16:21

Official stats are regular season only.

Thx. That seems odd. In my mind playoff points are just as important as regular season (if not more.)

So Kareem's scoring record does not include playoffs?

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 17:22

I think points are points and games are games

and the only time they should be ignored is the asinine over time rules in college football :)

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 17:47

Abdul-Jabbar's scoring record is 38,387 points, which doesn't count his 5,762 playoff points.

JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 15:59
Latest from Sixers: Willie Green (shoulder) is a game-time decision and J-Smith (ankle) is still out. Obviously no AI, per yesterday's news.

From Kate Fagan

The Greek on Feb 23 at 16:01

Fear not even without Howard Blatche will put that team on his shoulders and help them win more games then the Sixers.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 16:06

Cause he's mr grown up and mr mature

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 16:18

Are you knocking Blatches game John? I would take him over Speights right now.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 16:20

Actually, I think what I said was pretty clear, he's immature, he's selfish, and he's inconsistent...he startted off great this year as well and then tailed off - he has brief spurts of where he performs and then other spurts where he's a sulky bitch.

He suffers from the same disase that speights has but I think speights has more upside...

He's also been in the league longer than speights, he should be farther along, but he's also not even close to what he could be if he showed some dedication

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 17:36

I'd take him in a second. I guess if a player isn't perfect in every way that's cause enough to completely bash him.

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Feb 23 at 17:39

Do you read a lot about the wizards

I'm not saying anything new or ground breaking that hasn't been written repeateldy, not just about blatche but the entire 'young posse' they have there, nick young, blatche and dominic mcguire i think is the 3rd...Blatche has good games and then blatche vanishes.

I'm not completely bashing him, but how many players in the NBA have talent but no work ethic or dedication to getting better - it's not TALENT that makes you a star - it's not talent that makes yo usuccessful in the nba - cause everyone has talent (mostly) it's how hard you work and dedicate to the game....the same problem speights and sam have are the problems that have been dogging blatche since he got drafted, not sure why you're so defensive of him...

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 17:49

Not bashing here, but just an observation: Speights rarely stays after practice to do extra work. Might be a good idea to put in extra time.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 17:53

Not a surprise
The knock on him coming into the draft was dedication/work ethic
the knock on him from TWO people who worked with him at IMG (and not just thorpe) were work ethic and dedication (while the other IMG guy who isnt thorpe had nothing but praise about the motor / work ethic of Jrue Holiday)

GUys who are content with what they can do once they get to the NBA are the guys who never get to what people expect of them.

I think the mental make up of draft picks (and not the celtics brain scan stuff) is the most ignored and the reason for so many busts and 'late round' surprises

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 17:55

I think he may have turned the corner, especially know that he is the man down there in Washington. He's only one year older then Speights, and like I said before I would take him over Speights in a heartbeat.

He was benched one game last month because he was bitching about his lack of touches, I can't blame the guy. And get this, when he recieves a pass sometimes he actually passes it back out. Can you say the same about Speights?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 18:01

I'm not sure what speights has to do with blatche

But if you think a guy has 'turned a corner' after 4 games you might think the sixers turned a corner after a 5 game winning streak.

When blatche puts together a consistent run of 20-30 games (like from no to the end of the seaosn) without resorting to his bitching about passes or childish antics, then we'll talk.

Player behavior and what's acceptable and not is variable to you huh? Blache bitched about touches but at the same time probably hadn't earned them - or he would have gotten them - don't you thinnk?

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 18:12

There both comparable, and as far as player behavior is there a bigger piece of shit on the Sixers then Speights?

At least Blatche looks as if he cares, can you say the same about Speights?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 18:20

At least Blatche looks as if he cares, can you say the same about Speights?

Oh well, if he looks like he cares - that's what really matters.

Seriously, that's one of the more asinine types of logic constantly perpetuated by people - he 'looks' like he cares, bobby abreu doesn't care, reggie evans hustles so he must play well.

That means absolutely nothing to me how a player 'looks' , but your (see what i did there) perception of Blatche now (see I did it again) seems not shared by many where as many think Blatche is a clueless unmotivated putz

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 18:15

From Hollinger a few days ago-
"Washington's quartet of Thornton, Nick Young, Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee might be the most clueless unit any single NBA team could muster."

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 23 at 18:21

But he looks like he cares...

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 23 at 18:32

Well damn if Hollinger wrote it, and babyfarts magee agrees then it must be true. Your defending someone who doesn't give a shit about the sport of basketball. Listen to Tom Moore, the guy never shows up early to practice and never stays late. You remind me of Cloey from 24

The Greek reply to The Greek on Feb 23 at 18:41

Brian any thoughts on Speights versus Blatche? Derek, TK what do you think?

They're similar to me. Both capable of wowing you one night and completely disappearing the next. Spotty work ethic. I'll be surprised if either winds up as an All Star or has an impactful ten-year career.

Speights makes less money, so I'll stick w/ him if I'm looking to fill the lazy big man role on my roster.