Trip Moves On To Phoenix

Hoping Nash sits it out. Still won't be an easy W either way, Dragic is good. I think he's going to be a solid replacement whenever Nash decides to hang it up.

Yeah, Jrue abused him when these teams met in Philly, but he's had a much better sophomore season.

Willie and Jason Smith both still out. Looks like a tight rotation by necessity again tonight. Maybe some burn for Kapono and/or Meeks.

I hope Nash plays. I'm past caring if the team wins or loses, but Nash makes the game more entertaining.

I guess the Sixers wild inconsistency also makes things exciting, in that you don't know what to expect in any game. As always with this team the key to contentment is low expectations and focus on the PG :)

i would love to see jrue on nash, i'm hoping he plays.

Looks like Nash is playing.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:12

J Rich ate Iggy up the first time we played them...hope that changes.

And we're off.

Lou is on J Rich, drains a three on the first possession.

I'm not a big fan of the Dalembert dribble drive from the top of the key.

is it me or does jason richardson look way older than he is. i think he's 29.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:15

Jrue getting lost off the ball again, Nash jumper result.

JH and SD switched the P&R, which is fine. Then they tried to switch it right back and left Nash wide open for the three. That's not so OK.

They're making PHO's defense look stout. Come on.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:22

Jrue is going to get a lesson tonight.

Jesus, how about running a play on offense. This is just pitiful.

Lou finally took the ball to the hoop, & 1. Need more of that.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 21:26

Yeah, Iguodala'a jumper looks good so far, but that could be a bad thing if he goes to it too often.

Hit him right in the chops, then complained that he didn't foul him :)

stupid shot by iguodala, lucky he got fouled

Four-point trip, ugh.

Couple ugly plays by Lou in a row.

Two fouls on Jrue. Guarding Nash is nothing like guarding Curry.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:29

Lou, don't pass the ball to Sam right there. He doesn't know what to do with it, but shoot it.

sweeeet lou's on nash

Why the hell didn't Carney dunk that? Four-point swing.

Come on Carney. Can't miss bunnies.

Thad's active on the glass tonight, good to see.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:35

Speights looks to do nothing but get his hands on the ball so he can gun.

Nice find by AI9, Thad converts.

nash's first quarter: 14 points, 5 dimes

tonights gonna be a long one

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:38

What was Nash's ailment that he couldn't play last night? He sure looks healthy tonight.

Not sure. Maybe they just didn't want him to play both games of the b-to-b. Left him home to nurse something and get some rest. Pretty sure he didn't travel to OKC.

Pretty ugly first quarter, Nash capped it with his second three of the game.

Trailing 25-33 heading into the second.

Thad has been impressive so far off the bench, Iguodala has 9 points, 2 dimes, 2 boards.

Heh. Speights literally turns garbage into gold on that oop pass.

Forget about the future and upside for a second and answer this: If you're trying to win a basketball game tonight, would you rather have Amundson or Speights on your team?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 21:45

Amundson by a landslide when taking into account the meaning of 'team'. And we know I dread the word 'upside'. :)

speights? i haven't seen amundson play enough, but speights has been pretty bad this year so it's a tough call

He's a free agent this summer. I'd throw the bi-annual exception at him as a big off the bench. Should probably be enough to get him.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 21:48

He was a Billy King find wasn't he?

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:43

Rodney 'Shotput' Carney. heh

Dragic just burned Jrue off the dribble. Bad start to this one for JH.

Brand and Speights up front. Haven't seen much of this lately.

Nice drive by Jrue.

Three on Jrue, hip check on grant Hill.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 21:51

Speights trying to box out with his damn arms.

All he needs to do is use his huge ass. Take advantage of your lack of conditioning.

3 on Speights.

I believe Amundson got here under King, not sure. I know he couldn't get on the floor as long as Shavlik was on the roster.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 21:55

Mo had started to give him some run at one point. May have been when Shavlik broke his ankle.

King 'finds' Amundson while Stefanski re-finds Brezec. ha

is brook lopez better than robin?

Which one is which? I just want to know what kind of parents have twin boys and give them both stripper names.

Sammy is kind of owning Amare on the defensive end.

Was that a shot or a pass by AI9?

Don't mind that goaltend by Sammy, stay in Amare's head.

Brand's jumper is off, and he looks tired out there.

Not sure where they're going to find the legs tonight.

Dying at the end of quarters.

Down by 11 at the half.

You get the feeling they could take this game if they could find some extra fuel in the tank. Phoenix isn't blowing their doors off. Both teams look tired.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 22:13

Agree on Brand, he looks terrible tonight. No verve.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 22:17

What's new....this is who he is now. Philly Max, gotta love it

Man, 15-0 run for the PHO up until that layup by AI9.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 22:26

AI9 needs to attack this half and stop firing up jumpers.

Richardson's abusing Lou in every way imaginable right now.

johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:27

Sixers come out of the half with their usual intensity...

I don't think Lou could've possibly been further away from Richardson on that three. How do you lose your man by 30 feet?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:31

On that play where Lou got caught up on someone in the lane, don't you think Iggy should have left Grant Hill near the corner and ran out to J Rich b/c he stood there and lined the three up for quite a few seconds?

At least to distract him or make him give it up. Iggy just stood there and watched him fire away.

Actually, no. If he leaves Hill, Hill has a wide-open corner three, which is a much higher percentage shot.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:36

But doesn't J Rich shoot them better than Hill?

Why do you say a corner three is a better percentage shot than an already wide open one at the elbow extended arc?

I just felt Iggy should have not watched him set himself for so long and line it up being he was the closest guy to the ball. I know Lou should have made more of an attempt to recover but Iggy needed to rotate to the ball there, to me.

Corner three is shorter. Higher percentage shot. Hill is also 47% from three, richardson is 35%.

It would be ideal if we didn't have to worry about one guy guarding two guys who were wide open for threes. It might be nice if we don't blame the guy who was actually within 10 yards of his man as well.

I would let Lou off the hook if he had made any effort to even get back into the play. It's not like he hustled back and tried to switch onto Iguodala's man. He stood on the baseline hoping a shot would go up and he could go for the rebound.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:43

I wasn't blaming him. I just felt it would have not been a bad idea for a rotation there instead of watching a guy just line up a three. The guy with the ball is the threat. Someone else may have rotated out to Hill in the corner.

Sounds an awful lot like blame to me.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:53

Go read the first reply I wrote. Ever heard of suggestion.

Basic basketball is you have to defend the man with the ball, no matter the chaos the defense or individuals are in. Just a difference of opinion, I guess. Wish I could see it again b/c as long as Iggy watched him prepare to tee it up, he should have rotated over, being he was the closest. It wasn't his fault Rich was open, but he didn't help the situation any either.

You're right. The key part of that play was Iguodala failing to rotate 15 feet to cover Lou's man when Lou was 30 feet away and making no effort to get to his man.

And the basic fundamental of defense is always knowing where your man is and always knowing where the ball is. Not always being ready to cover for your shitty defensive teammates.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 23:00

But if you don't cover for or help your shitty defensive teammates then that makes you a shitty defensive teammate, no?

Stop arguing just to get a rise out of me. It was a fucking ridiculous play, it's not like Iguodala even had enough time to chase him off the three-point line. Lou got lost, didn't make an effort to recover, Richardson hit a three. End of story.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 23:13

You must be getting a rise out of your own self. I'm talking basketball, not sure where you are taking it.

If you think Iggy didn't have enough time to make a concerted effort to get out to him, then watch it again, as I'm sure you will. J Rich lined that thing up for 3-4 seconds. You'll see Iggy just stand there and look at him for those seconds.

Like of Iggy and dislike of Lou seems to make it cloudy for you.

Actually, like and dislike has nothing to do with it, as I stated when you first tried to blame the play on Iguodala, staying with Hill was the play in that situation.

Richardson is a 35% shooter from three, meaning him taking a three-point shot is worth 1.05 points. Hill is a 47% shooter from three, meaning a corner three for him is worth 1.88 points. Richardson's percentage probably goes up because he's wide open, just like Hill's percentage probably goes up because he's a foot closer in the corner.

It was an either or situation for Iguodala, and he made the right decision. You don't leave the better shooter wide open in a pointless attempt to challenge a shot by a lesser shooter.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 23:30

Come on, man. Like Iggy processed all that info while in the middle of live action.

And again, I didn't blame the play on Iggy. I asked if you thought it would have been a good idea for the next closest guy to go out and defend the ball. Just simple rotation, considering how long Rich took to line it up.

Challenging a shot is rarely a pointless attempt when the guy takes 3-4 seconds to let it fly.

dude you really just love to argue.

eddies' heady's reply to jkay on Feb 24 at 23:39

No, I stand firm in my beliefs just like the admin does.

At least I comment under one moniker.

Are you implying I don't?

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 25 at 9:53

No, I stand firm in my beliefs just like the admin does.

One ignores facts when they contradict his point, one doesn't

Richardson took a full 4 seconds to line up that shot. Williams made no attempt to get back in the play once he failed to get the steal.

And the deficit hits 20.

johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:31

This one is really bothering me for some reason. I've sort of become numbed to the losing but this one in particular is irritating.

johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:34

The EB contract will go down in Philly sports lure, all future awful contracts will be compared to Brand for the next several decades

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:41

I could whip Snider for not letting BK finish that cleanup job he had started. Because at least he use to make moves and try to adjust the pieces and make the team better (whether he did or not).

Whereas ES just blew the money with no due diligence and prefers to stand pat with this fucked up excuse for a 'core'. A bunch of AAU youngins with the hope of phantom potential with none of them being worth the mention of 'core'.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 25 at 9:54

Billy King got fired about 5 years too late...his 'clean up' job was a disaster

I'd like to see some resiliency here. They aren't going to win, but at least keep it respectable.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:39

Is this the 3rd blowout in 5 games? Im rooting for the blowout just for the hope that Kate Fagan is right and this is a 10 game evaluation period for Jordan

Lou looks like he could care less tonight on playing defense. My guess is EJ told him not to worry, just shoot and I will let you play all the minutes you want!

that left-handed off the bounce pass by jrue to iguodala was beautiful.

Brand can't even jump right now. Like literally, cannot get off the floor. Get Thad in there.

I agree. Brand is really looking old and slow since the All Star break. Why do you think?

johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:44

Maybe Eddie Jordans right, maybe he can't play 40 minutes a night or even close to it.I'm gonna have to start drinking during the games for the rest of the season I can't watch this anymore

Nice D, Speights.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:47

He got left standing still off a just a simple ball fake right, with Amare going back left. heh

johnrosz reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:47

Remember when there were questions about Speights conditioning and work ethic before the draft? Hmmm....

Wow. What a move by Young on Frye. Him and Speights are just so damned frustrating because of their obvious offensive ability.

Nice. Jordan sends 6 players onto the floor.

I've never seen that before in my life.

Surpised? Jordan cannot do anything this year to surprise me (in a negative way, that is!).

johnrosz reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 22:52

He was trying to pull the goalie

Wait! How do I score this in the rotational chart?

Thank god they missed the tech. That would have been a nightmare.

I created another column, had Lou listed as a tweener.

I wonder if Kapono will score his first point of the decade.

Yes. And Phoenix calls a time out!

kapono!! maybe he'll score for the first time in 2010

There we go. Kapono's hot! Look how pumped he is.

johnrosz on Feb 24 at 22:54

Damn he's finally outscoring me in 2010, oh well I put up a good effort

I like how Lou didn't go after that loose ball, then ran away when Frye took the layup.

I was thinking the same thing and almost posted that statement how he will not try to take contact on defense. Sad.

eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 22:57

How in the hell did Thad miss that alley?! He is the king of blowingbunnies.com! Damn Thad.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 24 at 22:58

think he got pushed in the back on that one

By the same token, he has the best touch around the rim on the team.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 24 at 23:00

lol, now that's sad...

His touch is superb. people over-value the bunnies. He makes plays around the rim nobody else on the team can.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 24 at 23:05

I don't know, how in the heck do you overvalue bunnies?

that's like saying you overvalue 8 inch putts. As if it's OK to miss them.

perhaps overemphasize was a better way of putting it.

You're more likely to remember the blown bunny and have it taint your opinion rather than looking at overall effectiveness.

In the end, a bunny is worth the same amount as a tough, contested finish at the rim. If Thad makes 5 plays that most people miss, then misses one bunny, he comes out ahead, but that doesn't mean people won't harp on the blown bunny.

In "Close, not dunks" shots on 82games.com Young shoots 57.7%. Iguodala 44.4%. Brand 55.6%. Iverson 50%. Carney 46.7%. Speights 51.4%. Holiday 46.2%.

Last year he shot 60% in those situations, so it wasn't a fluke.

It seems pointless to me to complain about his missed bunnies when evidence, both statistical and observation, suggest he's a very good finisher.

Basically, saying Young is a bad finisher every time he misses a bunny is extremely anecdotal and open to open to bias. i.e. complaining because he missed a bunny when he was clearly pushed in the back and making an argument that he's not a good finisher based off of that.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 24 at 23:20

He may have been pushed in the back and my opinion of him being the king of missing bunnies isn't just based off of one play.

"That 57% doesn't hold weight with me, as many open layups as I've seen him miss on the break this year."

Exactly my point.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 24 at 23:34

He took 17 shots to end up with 16 points tonight.

When you look at the DVR or replay, look how many were of the close variety that he blew tonight. Within 4-5 feet.

That 57.7% is flawed and skewed and it is only that high b/c of how much he leaks out to get a runout. Anecdotal is sufficient enough for me from all the gimmies I have seen him blow this year.

"He took 17 shots to end up with 16 points tonight.
"

That's great. That's not the argument at hand, though.

"That 57.7% is flawed and skewed and it is only that high b/c of how much he leaks out to get a runout"

"Anecdotal is sufficient enough for me from all the gimmies I have seen him blow this year."

Like I said, you're over-valuing the gimmies and letting it taint your vision of his overall effectiveness. Pointless for me to argue at this point.

"Other than the fact that Iguodala, Green, Williams and Carney all get a higher percentage of their points in the half-court than Young, you're dead on."

That was supposed to say "all get a higher percentage of their points in transition than Young".

johnrosz reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 24 at 23:35

Hope the Elton Brand defenders will start to dwindle now that it's apparent he wont "return to form"...The coach is dreadful but Elton Brand playing at least 70 percent of what he used to be would cover up for a lot of this teams deficiencies...Hope to see EB get some much deserved criticism in the coming months/years

johnrosz reply to johnrosz on Feb 24 at 23:39

whooops, put that last comment in the wrong place...

jkay reply to johnrosz on Feb 24 at 23:41

considering that Brand used to be a piniata rivalled in public dislike only by players like Willie Green, I'd think any support of him is needed.
his play has been kinda shitty lately.
but its kinda hard to criticise him when you dont even know what to expect from him.

I think the criticism or at least concern is more about his contract. the guy gives it his all, but is just not a star in this league. He probably could be a decent role player for a good team.

johnrosz reply to tk76 on Feb 25 at 0:05

I don't know if he even starts on a good team. This is an absolute disaster, we have 3 MORE YEARS of this. It's not his fault for taking the money but the guy is a trainwreck

johnrosz reply to jkay on Feb 25 at 0:07

I think the comparisons with a guy like Antonio Mcdyess should be legit at this point. Former 20 and 10 guy that suffered with some terrible injury issues, reshaped his game in his 30's and is now a very productive role player in the league. Only problem, Elton is making an insane amount of money to come in and put up 13 and 5 for the rest of his career.

jkay reply to johnrosz on Feb 25 at 0:10

ANTONIO McDYESS! by jove, you nailed it. we could put face masks on either of them, twirl them around in a circle, stop and no one would know who's who.

johnrosz reply to jkay on Feb 25 at 0:23

Not really sure if the sarcasm is neccesarry. They were never the same type of player, McDyess was actually incredibly athletic at one point. I was comparing two guys having some years of 20 and 10 success and what happened post injury. If you don't understand that I apologize, I should be more clear in the future.

When you go to the store and buy a product, if it sucks you don't just lie to yourself and pretend its worth the money do you? you take it back, only problem is that there's no refund on the Philly Max

Speights fouled out last night, right? He's working on a streak.

17 minutes for Jrue.

There is Meeks. EJ should do bench himself.

meeeeeekkss

Jrue. Yay.

WIN. LOSE. WIN . LOSE. WIN . LOSE. Jeez Sixers should pick one and stick with it. Fans are getting confused as to what we're rooting for.

JohnEMagee reply to jkay on Feb 25 at 9:56

a mediocre team playing mediocre?

Who would have thought it

Statman on Feb 25 at 0:24

Question for all of you: did EJ tank the 4th quarter by playing Kapono for Iguodala the entire 4th? The game never got any closer than 11, but I thought the Sixers might have made it closer if Iguodala had stayed in (like he wanted to, hah) at the beginning of the 4th. Actually, that's not a bad nickname for Kapono -- "Tankman."

Hmmn. Not sure. Iguodala played 40+ the night before, right? And they have another back-to-back on Friday/Saturday. Maybe he was just looking ahead. Kapono had a nice celebration when he hit that 20-footer. Nothing I love to see more than players celebrating when we're down by 20 points.