.300 Hitters

JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 11:04

Well I'm only going week by week right now but I did have them 0-4 this week...but the pacers too.

The pacers will be coming off a brutal 4 game west coast swing (two back to backs which kind of sucks I think against western playoff teams), I think 1-9 isn't a horrible thing, then the loss to the knicks can fittingly BE the game that gets them to 300 :)

1-9 screws up the math. They'd be 23-43 at that point, and need three more losses to get down to .300. 20 games under .500 has a nice ring to it, though.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 11:10

So there you go - even at 1-9 you get a nice round OCD number :)

Losing properly reflects this team. Short, empty win streaks just mask the problems.

If ownership does not see the problems then we won't see change.

As an aside, I believe Miller masked some of these problems for the better part of 3 seasons. The team was 5-19 when he joined the team. they played .500 ball while he was here, and now have regressed.

He was the ultimate band-aid. In the worst way. Even our "great picks" at 12 and 16 (Thad and Speights) are not looking so hot anymore.

Sure I enjoyed the 2007-8 season, but overall, its all been wasted time. We never really rebuilt after the AI trade. We never looked to find the next superstar to follow Dr. J, Moses, Barkley and AI.

You never know, but had we gotten the #2 instead of the #12 pick after the AI trade (we3 went on that crazy 18-7 run to close out that year), things would be looking up.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 4 at 11:19

tk - email brian for those samples - i got em

tk76 reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 13:10

Sounds great. Thanks.

The team with the second-worst record that season wound up with the #5 pick, which turned out to be Jeff Green. Would we really be in that much better shape right now with Green than Thad? Plus, I'm about 90% sure BK would've drafted Yi over Green in that position, he apparently had a huge boner for Yi.

The team that got the #2 pick had 31 wins (4 less than the Sixers) the team that got the #1 pick had 32 wins (3 less than the 76ers). The teams that blatantly tanked wound up with Mike Conley at #4 and as I said above, Jeff Green at #5.

So I guess you can wish they finished 14-11 instead of 18-7 and then got as lucky as Seattle did in the lottery, but wishing they completely tanked is kind of pointless considering how the draft played out.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 11:24

Did Tony have a boner for Yi?

Don't know, but there were several rumors, after the fact, that BK was trying desperately to package the later picks to move up and get Yi.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 11:27

Would he have been much worse than Thad?:) I mean - Yi at least has more range doesn't he?

Wonder what else they would have given up - probably this years draft pick so we wouldn't even have that to look forward to

tk76 reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 13:10

Odds are they would not have ended up with Durant... but they woulod have had a legit shot with a bottom 5 record. But the 12th pick...

Same thing this year. If the season is shot, you need to at least give yourself a shot at landing a franchise transforming talent. Aiming to get back to .500, like how they were with Miller and would still be without EJ, is an empty goal.

I don't disagree with what you're saying as it applies to this season, but when you're saying, "Imagine if they'd tanked the year they traded Iverson," well, we don't really have to imagine. The way things played out, we'd probably have Yi instead of Thad, which isn't really something to get all hot and bothered about.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 13:22

I'm still pissed that they never traded Miller when he was at his highest value

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 12:27

Hesring that Tawanna Iverson is filing for divorce from Allen.

Yeah, I saw that. Too bad for the guy, hope things work out for him.

Tom,

Had a quick question about Jordan's comments last night. I heard he said something about Iguodala needing to score more if he's going to be a leader. Do you have the exact quote?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 12:38

Sorry, Brian, I don't have it. I didn't make the trip.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 13:20

Brian

Check nba.com - they have post game video snippets that might hve it.

I'm assuming since Dereks channel guide lied to him (damn you comcast) - he didn't get the post game presser like he usually does

it even lied to me on the encore showing :/

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 4 at 13:27

They're probably doing it on purpose - indicating something far more interesting on a channel when really it's going to be the sixers to try and increase ratings even for a minute

sixers.com hasn't been updated with video feeds for 2 days. csnphilly had part of EJ's post game presser, but not the part in question. bugger. If anyone runs into the audio or video feed of that, let me know.

I just watched the highlights on NBA.com, they said Speights injured his knee, anyone hear anything about this?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 14:57

Speights practiced today. Just a bruise. He's fine.

JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 13:40

Draft Followers - DX has some things to say about Anderson

Brian won't like em :)

Sounds like a good fit to me, I'd love to have a great shooter who can defend to play between Jrue and Iguodala, but if I'm choosing between the two qualities, give me the shooter and let AI9 and JH worry about covering for him on the defensive end. At least he isn't a size liability.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 13:47

He's the kind of guy i think the sixers can get who would be an excellent fit (barring lottery miracles and being able to draft evan turner), and I like him better than xavier henry but that might be the upside/polished argument since henry is only a freshman

I don't think Turner fits, personally. I think they should draft him, if they can, but I don't like the idea of a lineup of Jrue, Turner, Iguodala at all. If they get Turner, and really believe in him, I think you have to move one of the other guys and get a long range shooter to replace him. Unless Turner can transform himself into a legit three-point threat. Even if he can, though, I don't think you're going to be able to maximize the playmaking skills of all three guys offensively.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 13:57

Well I've made it clear that I think Iguodala should be traded...because I don't think his career arc fits the rest of the roster.

Here's an interesting thought, though not sure if it works, Utah owns New Yorks first round pick but they are also cap conscious - would you be willing to take back a contract that is 'worse' than iguodalas, in value (25% above) or an extra year to get the knicks first round pick this year? The jazz are a team that is always competing at a high level and might be interested.

They don't really have a deal that's longer, they have a deal that's more expensive. AK47, and he expires after next season, but no, probably not. Dumping Iguodala w/out getting rid of Brand doesn't do anything for me, especially not for the exciting opportunity to pick #8 and #9 in this draft.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 14:35

Sorry - was presuming that the knick pick would be top 6

I mean two picks in the top 6-8 is something you could work with :)

Didn't take the time to look at the jazz contract - but as far as brand goes and i know it's harder in the nba cause of the cap - he's just a sunk cost - money spent - and probably can't get rid of so i'm trying to ignore him as part of the equation and see what can be done to improve the direction of this franchise.

Two top 8 picks wouldn't be horrible

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:03

How high does a pick have to be for you to consider taking on someone elses bad contract for Iguodala?

Top 2. Needs to be basically a sure bet pick, which is either Turner or Wall in this draft, I believe.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:10

Ah you're more picky than me - i'd go as high as top 5 because as much as I like Iguodala - this team probably isn't going anywhere significant while he's here.

I've given this some thought, and I don't think I agree. He may not still be the best player on the team, but he could easily be a key part at 28-31 years old. His skill set is pretty rare, and I do believe you need a guy like him. If they get rid of him, they're going to have to find someone to fill his role in his absence, and odds are whoever they get won't be as good as him, even in his late 20's - very early 30's.

sfw reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:26

I've seen Anderson twice in big games(TV) against Texas and Kansas. Both games he lit it up. He can shoot although looks a bit ackward and he actually can get his own shot against the college defense. Also, paid attention to Henry. He really dissapointed me in the Kansas game. Just floating. Not demanding the ball at all. Looks like he needs another year of college ball.

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 14:58

Sixers said Speights was available to go back in last night's game late, but didn't because it was a blowout.

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 14:59

Jordan said Thursday that he's going to keep trying to win even though the playoffs are a long shot and "I'm not looking to play Jodie 25 minutes and Jrue 40 minutes."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:01

Right -he's looking to play Jrue less than 20 and willie 30 cause willie green is how you win in the NBA

How do you not just laugh at him when he says this asinine things?

See, this is kind of funny.

Sixers record when Jrue plays 35+ minutes, 4-2.

Sixers record when Jrue plays less than 35 minutes, 18-36.

zig reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 16:28

therefore if you want to tank, don't play jrue :)

My head just exploded.

Yes, why would the Sixers want to that? It would be wasting away Willie's prime.

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:06

Brian, I asked Jordan about Iguodala needing to be more aggressive in the half-court offense and then Iguodala privately about it later. Will get you the quotes shortly -- just got back from practice.

Brand (strained right Achilles) missed practice to visit McPhilemy as a precautionary measure and is listed as day-to-day.

JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 15:16

Eie Joran has no use for facts

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:29

Asked Jordan if Iguodala needs to be more aggressive in the half-court offense.

"We’ve always talked about that about Andre. It’s not necessarily his MO. He just isn’t a high-level, volume guy that carries you. I think he would agree to that. He plays a well-above-average game in every category. He’s one of the best defenders on the ball I’ve ever seen in my entire career. He’s got a decent 3 and a nice pull-up (jumper), but he’s not going to be Kobe or LeBron as far as carrying the load or being a volume shooter."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:31

Is this the first time that Eie Joran professed his love for 'volume shooters'?

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 15:51

Well at least he didn't say that what this team needs is a volume shooter like Gilbert or Monta, he named a couple of actually great players and not guys one thinks of when one thinks of volume shooters.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 4 at 15:53

Actually, I think of Kobe as a volume shooter cause he shoots a lot - I don't think of Lebron that way just because I think of him as an all around complete player.

Though you mentioned some real good trade targets for this off season so Eie can get his volume shooter and get rid of that useless Iguodala fella

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:35

Iguodala's response: "I think I can do it. I just really haven’t had a chance to yet. I haven’t really had a game where – you know, we’ve been losing a lot this year. It is what it is. I just haven’t got in that comfort zone."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 15:41

Um, Andre, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 15:50

Seemed like he was grasping at straws after I asked him.

Has anyone read Moneyball? In it Scott Hatteberg talks about how people in the Red Sox organization hated Wade Boggs because he walked so much. They thought he should change his game, swing at more pitches, hit more home runs. This is that same kind of logic. The exact same thing. Jordan is just a compete moron, essentially he's got a great all around player and all he can do is complain that he doesn't shoot/score enough, and if he has his way Iguodala will either (a) be traded, or (b) be forced into taking more shots than he should be.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:51

Yes, i've read it...and then the red sox just hired a smart gm and did the smartest thing (I think) that a baseball team has done in a long while and just hired bill james - so all that neat stuff becomes yours sort off :)

My gf is a red sox fan, she has other reasons for hating wade boggs she says - i can't explain to her that it's not really rational -

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 16:06

On the other hand, among players attempting at least 200 3-pointers this season, only two have a lower percentage than Iguodala's 31.1 -- Rasheed (28.6) and Baron Davis (28.0).

He's definitely taking too many threes. There are quite a few familiar names on that list shooting under 33%.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 17:58

Iggy takes too many jumpers period. He needs to look at Josh Smith and stop jacking up shots.

He's not at Smith's level of futility on jumpers. Actually, his percentage on 16-23ft jumpers is at a career high this season (41%). Brandon Roy is at 42%, Kobe is at 42%, LeBron is at 39%, Carmelo Anthony is at 37%. Kevin Durant is at 37%.

Iguodala's problem is he isn't getting as many opportunities in at the rim (down almost a full attempt/game, and he's converting at 9% lower than last season, but still 64%), and a higher percentage of his shots have been threes. As far as long two-point jumpers go, Willie's the only one better than AI9 on the team.

And really, if the goal is to score the most points, Iguodala's kind of got the right idea if he's choosing to shoot threes instead of long twos. Shooting 31.1% from three means each attempt is worth .93 points. Each long two is worth only .82 points at 41%.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 18:18

He'd be better serve driving to the basket than launching 3 balls.

Yup. Driving the hoop is head-and-shoulders above everything else. 1.28 points/shot, not to mention the trips to the line and putting fouls on the other team.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 18:22

I wonder, are the sixers attempting more 3's than they have in the past couple years, because I think eie likes all the 3's they take even if they miss

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 19:55

Sixers are shooting more 3s this year and making more.

2009-10: Avg. 16.2 attempted 3s, shooting 34.3 percent

2008-09: Avg. 13.1 3s, 31.8 percent

2007-08: Avg. 11.6 3s, 31.7 percent

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 21:34

Lou shot woeful from the 3 last year (sub 30) and is shooting better this year and I expect Jrue shoots better than Miller did

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 16:37

Jordan on the Sixers' slipping defense: "Obviously, we haven’t played as well as we wanted defensively. The defense has taken a step back, when you look at the numbers, definitely."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 16:51

And when he says 'the numbers' he means they aren't scoring enough so it must be the defenses fault

Tom Moore on Mar 4 at 16:39

Dalembert: "Individually, each of one of us is going to have to look at ourselves in the mirror and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to have to (defend better).' It comes down to 1-on-1 defense."