SixersBeat, With A Twist, Tonight

JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 15:18

Development or lack thereof from various players so far this year - and reasons for or against that have nothing to do with the coach

Lottery positioning projections - where you think the sixers will end up and why

Whether or not you feel brand should come back this year at all

Now that it's over - for real - the Iverson impact - good (if any) bad and ugly

Favorite Sixer Memory

The fact that Charlie Manuel said screw the mariners i want the yankees in the world series (I mean you're a yanks fan (eeew) and dereks a phillies fan, you could actually continue the show through baseball season and just change focus :) )

I like Manuel, my kind of guy. He should want to take on the best team on the planet in the series. Winning a ring against anyone else would be kind of hollow.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:21

Best team on the planet huh...we'll see...they might want to work on winning their division first

At least winning the AL East is an accomplishment. The Phils should be worried about complacency after playing over half their games against cupcakes.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 15:34

Yes - the orioles and blue jays really are stiff competition....

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 16:10

You can't compare the shitty NL east to the AL east.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 18:23

One could argue that getting to the 6th game of the WS with a closer who blew 11 saves, your primary lefty out of the pen a virtual non-factor, a fair amount of games lost to injury over the course of the season to the rotation and starting lineup...was still a pretty damn good year.

And THIS year, we've got a guy who can pitch 1, 4 and 7.

But I digress...

Question:

Would you re-sign Samuel Dalembert after the 2010-11 season to a MLE-like contract?

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 4 at 18:26

And a counter argument would be that the phillies were damn lucky to win a world series in a year in which same said closer didn't blow any saves

of course that lends way too much credence to the save statistic and the idiotically dogmatic way bullpens are handled unless your closer is name mariano

What i'm most looking forward to is the over paid contract jeter is about to get and waching him slowly die as a short stop but no one in new york have the heart to tell him because he's always been 'great'

I said plenty about it the two years leading up to this past one. Somehow he turned the clock back five years defensively last season, though. I guess at some point he is going to pull a Rollins though, I guess I should prepare myself :)

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 18:39

Cough PEDs Cought

But seriously, don't remind me about rollins - the phillies have no left side of thie infield prospects - keep going with patchwork 3rd baseman and I think last season was the beginning of the end for rollins

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 19:06

I don't have any doubt Jeter messed with the PED's back in the day but baseball will never let it come out

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 4 at 19:15

That's like the rumor everyone floats that Jordan didn't really 'retire' the first time voluntraily but stern was going to suspend him for a year anyway so he did the baseball silliness

I've been doing the mock lottery lately a lot, and the Sixers often wind up with Hassan Whiteside at number 9. I'd like to know if Derek saw any of the kid yet, his tape has to be pretty low. His numbers are great, yet again, they're at Marshall. I want to know if I'm crazy for wanting Greg Monroe at that spot, that seems like a high value pick to me (a la Jrue Holiday at 17 last year). I love Greg Monroe's game, and he has the body to play the 4 on the defensive end in the NBA, and the game to be versatile.

I didn't get to last week's show, so I apologize if you went over that at all.

I meant to this weekend, but got caught up with family stuff. I have every one of his games on my virtual desk. It's one of my top priorities.

Rich reply to Rich on Mar 4 at 16:01

To keep on Monroe's case, why has he dropped as well from a maybe Top Five pick to barely scratching the Top 10 on Ford's Big Board. I know the draft was worse last year (at the time but the class has had a good year), but he's shooting a little worse while still efficient, but is handling a much bigger role. His team stinks besides Freeman and Wright (who are STREAKY as hell), so why has he dropped a little bit?

I don't think Monroe was ever really considered a top 5 pick. If anything, he's moved up draft boards. I don't really keep up with Chad Ford's mocks, particularly this early in the season when things are in this much flux. But overall, Monroe's value has gone up drastically in the past 6 weeks or so since he started tearing up conference play.

The Greek reply to Rich on Mar 4 at 16:17

I saw that too and with us needing a center to replace Sammy this kid needs to be seen.

FKN basketball purgatory, I am so dissapointed that I picked the sixers to root for 30 years ago.

So basically we can't add anyone until 2013? Wow where can I get those season tickets? How do they even get anyone to buy season tickets to watch these clowns?

teddy green on Mar 4 at 16:17

Brian,
Draft talk is always appreciated, but how about trying to find possible ways to get under the luxury tax for next season. We all know as currently constructed this team will have to find some creative ways to shed payroll or they’ll be taking a financial hit. It will be interesting to see if this team can unload some contracts to teams will cap space who will likely strike out in free agency. Off the top of my head i believe that the two most tradeable/expenable assets would have to be Lou "Ball Stopper" Williams and Jason "the Pasty Stiff" Smith.

Here’s a look at next season’s payroll…

The Greek reply to teddy green on Mar 4 at 16:21

Why is he a pasty stiff because he is white? Cmon with that bullshit.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:25

He's a stiff, he's doughy, lateral slow and if he wasn't white, most sixer fans wouldn't cry for him to play so much.

Unconscious racism goes both ways folks

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 16:27

If he is a stiff then what's Speights?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:31

Better than Smith

They both suck defensively...

One is better offensively

And one is more athletic

Rich reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:33

Smith's a stiff because he really doesn't have much talent, Speights isn't a stiff (he's talented) but he doesn't give a shit. There's a difference, but they both equal the same thing- bad.

The Greek reply to Rich on Mar 4 at 16:34

I bet that Smith has a longer nba career then Speights.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:37

It pains me to say but Speights has the look of a bonafide career loser. I don't think that he will ever turn the corner and if he does it won't be with us.

Rich reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:38

He might, and that will be Speights' fault. That really has nothing to do with my answer either. A stiff is a limited guy who can't play, but Smith at least hustles and works hard and could turn into a journeyman. He will never be a key player on a big team though, which Speights could be if he cared, but he doesn't at this point.

The Greek reply to Rich on Mar 4 at 16:45

I agree with you for the most part but I don't think that Smith is a stiff.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:50

His career might be longer, but he wil aspire to journeyman - he will aspire to be an 9th/10th player off the bench.

But on a pure talent upside - Speights far outweighs smith

I expect Speights will still dazzle some folks with potential after 5 years that people will give him a deal just in case.

Yo know - like the great and powerful Andray Blatche :)

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 4 at 17:03

I definitely agree that Speights has more talent then Smith, thats for damn sure. I just don't think that he will ever get to come close to tapping that awesome potential of his. Sadly John, I don't see him ever reaching the level that Blatche will reach.

Rich reply to The Greek on Mar 4 at 16:54

Alright, a role player then. I really don't hate Smith at all, I like his effort, but that only gets you so far. Maybe if he was the 9th man or whatever on a good team, but everyone seems (and probably should) to get knocked down a notch (or three) considering that the team is an embarrassment.

Smith would not be a stiff if he could rebound... but he can't.

His rookie year his def rebounding rate was 16.6%, which was bad. This year it is 13.7%. (this year Speights 19%, Sam 30%, Iguodala 17%.)

For Smith that translates into about 4 defensive boards every 36 minutes played. Solid bench players need to be able to rebound. You can't be a bench big in the NBA if you rebound worse than an average SF.

Maybe Smith improves in this area? But most bigs at age 23 can either rebound or not. And smith, with his short arms and high center of gravity, just can't control the defensive boards. Until that changes he will be in no ones rotation.

The Greek reply to tk76 on Mar 4 at 17:06

Agreed he does need to pick it up on the rebounding but holy shit how many issues does this team have. Issues that are just sickening.

Yes. They are in a bad place. Most of their former bright spots (Thad, Speights) no longer look so hot. But part of that is being crappy.

I guess my question for Brian and Derek is how do you evaluate players on this team when the coach and team are so terrible? No one ends up looking good. And even wghen someone like Lou has a good game, you don't know how to interpret it in light of the team getting crushed.

Rich reply to tk76 on Mar 4 at 17:14

Ah, that might violate their "Jordan Rule" though. Maybe in their 5 minutes they could suggest the (Eddie) Jordan Rules.

You just don't mention HWWNBN and just insert generic bad team with generic bad coach. Questionable ownership and 30+ year old with huge longterm contract.

Who knows, you could just be talking about the Clippers, right?

If you're feeling down, pretend the Sixers have just won the lottery and then watch this.

Tyler reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 19:04

if we somehow did draft wall, what would you want him to play? almost everyone here thinks jrue is a future star pg for this team so what position would we play wall? im not saying we shouldn't draft him if we do get the 1st pick but i'm just curious what postition we would play him.

JohnEMagee reply to Tyler on Mar 4 at 19:07

Well see - Jrue is the future point guard of the sixers

Right now

Devin Harris is the point guard of the Nets

Right now

But if you draft John Wall, Jrue Holiday or Devin Harris become trade chips...you adjust...you don't pass on John Wall cause you have a point guard - I don't care if you the chicago freaking bulls or the utah jazz (and if they somehow get the #1 pick someone should just KILL isiah thomas)...you draft john wall and then you figure it out.

Do the bucks draft on the best player in the draft cause they have brandon jennings? Probably not because Wall has a much bigger upside whereas Jennings sent a twitter to his 'fans' yesterday that he wasn't going to shoot any more.

No one passes on John Wall

You draft him and then yo ufigure it out - it's a luxury to have such a problem

Rich reply to Tyler on Mar 4 at 19:11

You draft Wall and see how he fits, and then decide what to do with Jrue accordingly. The only teams that I don't think in the NBA would take Wall 1st are maybe Utah and New Orleans, with a possibility of Chicago. None of those teams could get that pick though, save Utah if the Knicks win the lottery for them.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 4 at 19:14

Right now New Orleans only has 2% shot at the playoffs - if they get damn lucky (or stern fixes it to revitalize the hornets of course) they could get #1 - and they should and would draft wall

I mean this is a team losing money with no one relaly to put around chris paul - if they win the lottery could you imagine the bonanza they'd get by trading paul but still have excitement around the future of the franchise?

You take Wall without a doubt and then worst-case, you have a PG off the bench who can really defend for the next four seasons on his rookie contract. Best case, he's a huge trade chip.

Joe reply to Tyler on Mar 5 at 7:50

You draft Cousins at #1

Still don't understand the Wall hype. Cousins makes that team go.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 4 at 19:46

im not sold on John Wall being a superstar but he is obviously a much better pick than anyone else. are ytou going to pass on Wall and take the 2nd coming of Calbert Cheaney, Evan Turner?

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 4 at 19:48

Well, you're the only one i've read of who doesn't think wall is a superstar, many think his upside surpasses that of the great derrick rose

Of course your evan turner comments indicate that you might just be a harsher judge of young basketball players than the rest of the universe

Calbert Cheaney was not that good in college. Just over-hyped on a high profile Indiana team. But Turner has been dominant.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Mar 4 at 21:20

On Turner, ive seen a lot of his 'highlights' and im just not impressed.

on the draft in general, i can name way too many dominant college players that pull up limp in the NBA. with the exception of can't miss #1 guys like shaq, duncan, and iverson, etc... i dont like to crown college guys as NBA superstars.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 4 at 21:36

So - you really have nothing to go on with Evan Turner other than you don't like crown college kids superstars...

So it's just your own bias and lack of actually watching Evan Turner play a basketball game.

Cause aside from you he's the consensus #2 pick in the draft, the prohibitive favorite to win player of the year.

I'm pretty sure no one has dubbed him a super star to be - just the second best player in the draft...that doesn't make him a superstar but SoMEONE has to be picked #2

Ohio State is on TV a lot - watch a guy who plays point guard for a team because they don't have one but is more of a natural 2 or 3 who scores, paseses, and rebounds.

But I guess if you've only seen a guys highlights you've seen enough to scout him...more so than everyone else

He will be a better #2 pick than Thabeet, but worse than Durant :)

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 5 at 8:23

i conceed that turner is the consensus #2 pick in the draft. I conceed that SOMEONE has to be picked #2.

i am just trying to temper my expectations here. it seems this board (myself included) has gotten really excited about losing and gathering the most lottery balls possible. Even if the Sixers get lucky with a top 2 pick, its not going to turn the franchise around like getting tim duncan. if we draft evan turner, does this team win 55 games in 2011-2012?

He's not, I gather, the impressive highlight kind of player. More the smooth, Brandon Roy/Joe Johnson type of player.

He's definitely not a highlight real type player. He'll underwhelm you athletically (not that he's unathletic, but he's not top end athletic at all, especially in terms of leaping).

Many thanks to Tom Moore for coming on SixersBeat tonight. Make sure you check out his Sixers coverage here.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 4 at 22:36

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate it and enjoy being on the show.