Matinee vs. Wounded Raptors

According to K. Fagan: Bosh in Turk out
Also Sammy not starting for disciplinary reasons.

Wow. Sammy not starting because of a disciplinary reason.

I hope we get the story behind this. Wonder if he told Jordan to fuck off.

Brand on Bargnani now, and Thad on Bosh? Probably vice versa, I guess.

This should be interesting.

There's a chance Jrue could get extra minutes. Need to jack up a couple more jumpers, though.

16-7 start. Moving the ball extremely well.

I heard Dalembert tried to play defense in practice.

I can't wait to hear what happened. Jordan is just so tough.

Sam doesn't seem too bothered by the disciplinary action. Smiling on the floor.

The Sixers go to him in the post immediately, twice. One time he drops the pass, the second time he breaks a baby hook.

Nice shot Willie. Really glad Jrue was yanked early again.

Jason Smith just bricked a 1-foot layup that would've given the Sixers the lead after one.

And when I say bricked, I mean he banged it off the backboard like he thought he was 10 feet away. Not sure I've ever seen an uglier layup attempt.

13-point lead, already blown.

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 12:41

Kapono could at least pretend to care...

Hey guys,
I am not living in Philly right now, so I can't see the game, but is there any place you guys know of, where I could see it online. (atdhe.net is not working)

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 12:48
johnrosz on Mar 7 at 12:52

Seriously, our fucking medical staff/coaching staff are a disgrace. It's no coincidence that Arenas/Butler/Jamison were banged up in Washington, our coach is a fucking idiot. This all started when they rushed Mo back 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule and now the guy doesn't look right/cant stay healthy....ugh

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:03

Do 'training staffs' usually transfer with Coach's.

Is the training staff Joran had in Was the same as in Phi - cause if not then your point has none

Even if the training staff isn't the same, Jordan can shoulder some blame for guys coming back early. Calling your players a bunch of pussies to the press leads to stupid decisions like that.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:10

Do you know the inner workings of the infrastructure of the coaching/medical staff? If so, please share. I can tell you that I don't recall players being rushed back in previous years.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:13

Well that didn't seem to be the point you were making, you were blaming training staffs.

Additionally you also seem to be implying that the coach's decide when players play and if the player feels unable to play they can't say no - they have no choice but to play?

Stupid player whose coach calls him a pussy, publicly. You don't think that could be a motivating factor in coming back too early from an injury?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:19

So, what you're saying is that name calling makes the players more likely to ignore their injuries. Name calling from a coach most of them don't even seem to respect?

Wow, that would be awesome if the players on the sixers were such spineless idiots

I don't think there's really a question whether Speights is an idiot or not, is there?

And I'm not really talking about him playing now w/ the bad knee, my complaint is that he came back way too early a couple months ago. And I do believe that's a decision that involves the head coach, both pushing players to get back on the floor, and pushing the trainers/doctors to OK them. Just my opinion on the matter.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:16

I think Brians point very well sums up what i was trying to say. From an outsiders point of view, it seems as though Jordan puts pressure on the players to get out there and suit up, I'm sure the medical staff feels some of that heat as well

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:18

And I'm sure the players can say no if they don't feel they're ready to go.

Especially for a coach they have 'quit' on

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:23

you win man you just love to argue more than i do

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:24

Yeah, that's what it is.

Defending a pointless irrational point is difficult

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:30

I can see why you aren't allowed on BSG anymore

bebopdeluxe reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:36

It's not the only place his act isn't allowed anymore. And it sucks because he knows basketball...he's just too f'n arrogant for rational people to deal with for long.

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 13:42

Coming from you that's actually laughable

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:43

Perhaps you can see why I feel what you think of me is irrelevant?

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:22

Well if they haven't listened to him all year, what makes you think they are paying attention when he spouts off to the press?

Like I said weeks ago and Fagan said today - they still get that check at the end of the week. Who cares if they get called a pussy?

Actually, considering they've played defense like it doesn't mean anything all season long, I'd say they've been listening to Jordan since day 1.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:31

Or possibly they were just never good defenders to start with.

Sam Elton Andre Jrue

WHo else on this team doesn't suck at defense inherently?

You've all heard of selectively hearing I'm sure

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:35

Well, you seemed to be mighty quiet on that 15 game stretch of holding to around 94 points a game I broached yesterday.

Somebody wasn't listening then, no? Or they were just finally trying and giving full effort I think.

Fuck, they're going to win this game.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:41

lol....i'm saying the exact same damn thing

I wasn't really around yesterday. Saw one diatribe about how the Sixers need to draft older players and figured I'd heard it all before.

Don't use PPG as a defensive metric, it's meaningless in a vacuum.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:44

I'm not using it as a metric. I'm looking at it from a 'team' defense standpoint. Cohesive-like. Not to mention, from an individual effort standpoint.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 13:46

PPG isn't a way to look at offense or defense period pretty much, efficiency is more useful

You're using ppg to say they played good defense. that's silly and meaningless. If those games had 80 possessions each, they would have been playing shitty defense.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:54

But those games didn't have 80 possessions, so it's not meaningless. If you're holding teams from scoring overall, you're holding teams from scoring - efficiency and metrics be damned. The game is simple and was invented that way.

All those numbers just add complexities, when in fact the game is very basic.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 13:55

Well hey look, that's a falsehood strawman argument promoted by those who can't be bothered (or just can't) to understand the evolution of the understanding of the game.

The same folk who still cling hopelessly to BA HR and RBI as a way to determine if a hitter is good or bad.

ppg is meaningless when observed in a vacuum. you can try to argue it, but that's just a fact.

The Knicks score 101.5 points/game, the Blazers score 97.9. Which is the better offensive team?

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 13:44

Well what about the other games, looking at a small window and one point within that window proves almost next to nothing

It's like someone saying Andray Blatche is now a superstar after a few good performances

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:49

Sort of like saying Jrue's the next coming from just a handful of respectful games but nearly double the not-so-respectable ones?

Hmmm, that sounds like all the chatter on here last year over Speights and the year before with Thad.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 13:50

Selective memory is one of your most awesome traits.

People have said Jrue plays great defense, cause he does.

He's also a better point guard than any one else on this roster, cause he is (and the only point guard on the roster)

You got people lamenting picking Holiday because of Ty Lawson cause a career is defined in one year.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 7 at 13:34

I remember hearing Tom say that he had felt that some members within the organization weren't sure if Jrue could be the PG of the future... I think I've seen more in limited minutes in Jrue than I saw in Thad/Speights from their rookie campaigns

The Sixers should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely ashamed.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:00

the funny part is that this is a tie game, but you are probably sitting there like me knowing that they have zero chance to win. This feeling sets in for me every game.

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:03

Thad will have 2 points in the 2nd half

JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:06

Weak on the defensive glass and shooting the 3 pointer better than they should.

What was that game they ahd a 30 point lead in the first half but still almost lost?

Jack blows right by Lou like he isn't even there on back to back plays.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:14

Easy Ed pickney said Lou was "dogging" Jack on those drives to the bucket. I can see why he is no longer employed as an assistant coach. It's time to get Donyell to be the color guy, he is hysterical and actually has an opinion worth listening to.

I think Pinckney said something like, "Lou working hard to keep Jack out of the lane, from behind."

Yeah, but did you see that clap in frustration after the second time? He obviously cares so much. His defense will come around.

That's leadership.

The starters came back to in get the lead back at the end of the second.

Up 55-47 after two.

Jrue has 9 points, 4 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks at the half.

Not exactly the starters. Dalembert was in instead of Brand.

I love Lou's "lean over way to far, throw your arms all the way back, and wobble" defensive stance. He did make a decent defensive play on Jack to end the half.

Thad with 16. He's made some nice defensive plays. 0 defensive rebounds in 18 minutes. Jrue's been the best player.

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:24

a young Damion Stoudamire. Easy Ed doesn't even know the guys that played on his own team

Is Holiday the best shooter on this team?

Nick reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:40

You must be thinking of Jason Kapono, our Shooter.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 13:41

Does his release look a little quicker? That corner 3 he hit after handling the bad pass from Lou was pretty impressive

Willie in for Jrue, I believe. There loss is very much alive, folks.

johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:45

Does thad have the potential to be a number 1 option 2-3 years down the road?

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:47

If you want your number option to be erratic and play absolutely no defense...and have no real shooting range past 15 feet or so

Sure

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:50

hes 21

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:51

Once one is in the NBA for more than one season, one's age is irrelevant.

Thad's played shit defense for 3 seasons

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:55

I don't know about that. The player someone is at 20 is not the player they are at 23 or 24 and beyond. That's like saying someone reaches their ceiling as a player after their rookie season

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 7 at 13:56

3 years in the NBA and still shitty defense.

What makes you think he'll suddenly start playing defense?

Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal and a whole slew of others disagree with you.

And Thad's defense was not "shit" in years past. Did he have holes? Yes, mostly over rotating. But he had a lot of positives as well. 14.9 opp PER last year was worlds above his atrocious 20.6 this year.

bebopdeluxe reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 7 at 15:25

Oh, Derek...there you go with those "stats" again.

Don't try to diffuse a perfectly good rant with logic...this is an INTERNET FORUM - remember?

Better to have an attitude than to have facts, bro.

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 15:46

Again there you go being all hysterical

have you read the majority of your rants - you calling anyone out for any sort of 'bad' internet behavior is like Sam Dalembert calling people out for playing stupid basketball

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 7 at 15:46

And if you can't reply to me directly, please refrain from responding to me indirectly, it's kind of pathetic

bebopdeluxe reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 16:05

OK, here's a direct response.

You are EVERYTHING that is wrong with forums like this.

How's that?

There is a REASON why you have been banned from multiple forums...and what frustrates me, of course, is that you are an intelligent observer of basketball and share valid insights here (just as you did on RealGM and other places). You just don't know how to play nice (and please don't insult my intelligence by saying you don't know what I am talking about)...and what's worse, is I think you KNOW when you are being an asshole - and you just don't care.

I think Thad can be a 20 ppg scorer one day, yes.

The key is whether his all-around game improves enough that he deserves the minutes).

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 7 at 13:52

Hey look - you can put Speights in place of Thad and make the exact same statement...that's always cool :)

Whereas I *think* Young can be a 20 ppg scorer in his prime, I *KNOW* Speights can. Heck, you give Speights 35 mpg he might average 20 ppg right now (assuming he had a functioning knee0.

Whereas Thad's D concerns me, Speights D scares the shit out of me. I at least see effort out of Thad most of the time, and think that if he was back at his natural position, and had a good coach, he'd work hard and get his way to at least an average defender. I don't have the same optimism for Speights.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 7 at 14:01

Well sure if you wanna write qualifiers about it :)

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 18:06

Thad can easily be a nuber one or number 2 scoring option. SPeights sucks balls and while were at it he sucks Ayndrey Blatches balls.

This is Reggie Evans' impact. He makes all these impressive looking plays...and his team's deficit grows by 4 points in his time on the floor because he he's taking too many shots, and missing too many free throws.

Hmm a 14 point lead heading into the 4th quarter... with any other team it wouldn't be a question but...can they hold on??

JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 13:57
johnrosz on Mar 7 at 14:01

haha lou

There's the perimeter defense we've all come to know and love.

Single figures now, wonder if Jordan will consider putting some defense on the floor.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:03

And by defense you mean more offense right?

Well, yeah. You can't win if you don't score the ball efficiently, and our best defenders are our best offenders.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:10

Well when you've got the 21st most offensively efficient team in the league you must be doing something right

Why isn't that a tech on Bosh?

You mean on the backcourt violation?

Generally, showing frustration at yourself isn't as likely to get you a tech as showing frustration at a ref/opposing player.

Sloppy turnover by Jrue. Probably getting yanked here.

Nope, he's still in. Glad McKie was the one talking to him. They should have a rule that Jordan isn't allowed to address him directly.

Wow. Pretty move and lefty finish by Jrue.

Yeah, he finished the other drive w/ his left too, off a righty drive from the right side.

Yeah. The other one was at least a natural finish with his left off the spin move. That last one, which was incredibly, you don't often see people go up with their right in that situation.

JRUE!!!!

J R U E!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit!

Jrue just took this game over on the offensive end.

I know this hurts our draft position and all, but isn't it nice to see Jrue turn into a closer at the end of the game? It's not his game, but at least we know it's there. Looked like Chauncey at the end here.

Jrue's best game as a pro? Even got away with a vet-like move on Calderon getting the foul call and then nailing the 3 in his eye the next time down the floor.

that 3 makes it career high for Thad.

Well, in typical Sixers fashion, I can't really be happy about anything. LOVED seeing Jrue come through when the game was really on the line. Hate the fact that the win hurts the lottery standings.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:30

I tried to have some psoitivity - but the Wiz the past week have been very disappointing and the knicks choked against the nets.

I'm thinking 9 is 9 is 9 and we just have to accept 9 is our fate

Though the movie with those cloth things wasn't so bad...

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:31

I see the negative in things too. One of those drives Jrue had at the end was for Bargnani too. He didn't do shit to stop it :)

Typical Sixers point of view on that.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:32

weak reboudning game by the sixers.

I can't wait 'til people give me shit for giving Jrue the player of the game even though Thad scored 32 points.

Levent reply to Brian on Mar 7 at 14:34

No one will do that we all accepted the fact that you have a crush on Jrue :)

washington detroit and new york should start winning soon.

JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 14:31

At what point does this 'hot streak' from the 3 become that Jrue just is a good 3 point shooter?

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 7 at 14:35

3-ball is supposedly Jrue's favorite shot. It's just taken him this long to adjust from college 3 to NBA range I guess.

He didn't have a college 3 to adjust from.

Probably never for some people.

Sammy D was late for a team meeting this morning, which is why he was benched.

Jordan will go back to the previous starting lineup.

Tom Moore on Mar 7 at 15:22

Sixers are 5-2 when Holiday plays at least 35 minutes.

does that include today?

technically, he played 34:59 ;)

Tom Moore reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 7 at 15:36

Yes. They round off onm nba.com, so he's listed at 35.

Ah. I was looking at yahoo.

Holiday since Jan 1st: 21 mpg, 8.7 ppg, 3.1 apg, 46% fg, 49% from three (25-51), 86.4% ft

Actually, my math was a little off. 7 ppg. Rest of #'s correct:

Damn, Wiz choke away end of game in Boston, one of the most gutless choke jobs I've seen in my life.

The Celtics are in for a rude awakening come April.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 7 at 23:24

They're currently tied for the 3rd/4th seed and were desperately shopping Ray Allen at the trade deadline to try and improve.

I think the Celtics know where they're at - they aren't good enough to beat Cleveland or Orlando in a 7 game series, possibly against the hawks too.

However, as they say on the news, there's no back to backs in the playoffs which helps the celtics a little.

The Greek on Mar 8 at 0:04

It's truly amazing that Jrue is our best 3 pt shooter. In the shittiest of season at least we have found our playmaker for the next 12 or so seasons.

Off-topic but did anyone see the hammer Andre Miller just threw down in the Denver game? I'm sure it will be on SC but he cocked it back and flushed it down like Iguodala on the break. I never saw him do that once here.

Joey reply to Rich on Mar 8 at 0:23

Didnt' know he had it in him. Seriously, my jaw dropped. WOW. The wow from the fact that it was Andre Miller. Unreal.

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.

Superb posting. I found it rather valuable and am thankful you took the time to generate it. It would be great if everyone authored similar to this.