Good News?

Brian, with the exception of Howards picture, you've made my day.

Yes. That might be worse to look at than the braced animal.

Duracorr on Mar 8 at 7:11

So, Eddie Jordan really is Ed Stefanski's tanking strategy.

deepsixersuede on Mar 8 at 7:33

When these 4 turn E.S. down, a big possibility, who are the next 4? They said they are looking for a coach with experience, is this a possible scenerio? Hire B.Scott,who keeps Joran here as part of his staff, they are paying him anyway, and let Jrue become a young version of J.Kidd on the defensive end and strike gold like a few years ago.

Mike P. reply to deepsixersuede on Mar 8 at 8:35

Byron Scott always makes his teams eventually hate him. I'd rather try someone new for cheap. Won't we already be paying Cheeks and Jordan?

I want the Tom Thidadabbaeau from the Celtics or Jeff Van Gundy. No more been there done that guys.

Tom Moore reply to Mike P. on Mar 8 at 9:53

Believe Cheeks is off the books after this season.

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P. on Mar 8 at 9:56

So there's another Jeff Van Gundy who hasn't coached in the NBA?

Mike P. reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 10:21

Yes, in my dream world.

I'd like Johnson/Van Gundy/Thidababou or maybe even Aaron McKie.

Just be sure it's someone who knows you can't fit square pegs in round holes and works toward the strengths of what they have.

Avery Johnson really strikes me as a moron. He and Marc Jackson would both probably be better served if they stayed off television. In Jackson's case, he'd be better served if he actually got some kind of job in coaching before throwing his hat in the ring for a head job.

If you're going for defense as your team's identity, there isn't a better guy out there than Van Gundy, and since you kept this roster together, it would be foolish to settle if you can get him. You've got $65M+ invested in this team next season, spend what it takes to get JVG, if he'll come.

As for Byron Scott, we already tried it with one of Stefanski's buddies from the Nets days, how about a new direction?

Mike P. reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 13:33

As long as the coach can figure out this team shouldn't be shooting jumpers all the time I'd be happy.

I'd like to see a new up and coming assistant get a shot. Like Scottie Brooks in OKC.

If the new coach can't figure out that Iggy is our SF and Jrue should be the PG and they should focus on suffocating defense to start the driving slashing offense then I don't want them.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 8 at 9:19

"They have labeled 4 new coach canidates for next year"

is this a wish list? have they spoke to these guys? i would love to have van gundy. he wants to be a coach again, but this has got to be one of the worst jobs in the NBA right now. for a guy who can write his own ticket, i dont think he would come here. we have a losing roster. Brand makes it hard to make any real change

JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 9:41

Not fond of either of the four options and I doubt they could afford Van Gundy...plus I think eskin is less reliable than brians favorite real gm source when it comes to the sixes

Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 9:51

Was told Johnson didn't think he had to interview last time, so would think he's a long shot unless his ego has diminished.

Collins really wanted an interview, but couldn't get one.

Wright would be crazy to leave 'Nova.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 9:54

I didn't like Avery's Johnsons public campaigning last year.

Don't think the sixers would pay what Van Gundy is asking, and if Collins couldn't get it done going back to Chicago why would he come to Philadelphia.

Chicago, New Orleans, Clippers, Nets are but a few of the jobs probably open this off season...

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 9:57

Collins would hold the players accountable, which this team desperately needs.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 10:01

The team desperately needs a GM and a coach with a clue about basketball 'accountability' wasn't an issue until Eie Joran became the head coach.

All the 'issues' that arose this year didn't seem to be issues until this year, and the only relevant change was the passive aggressive coach who is worried more about saving his job than being a coach.

Again, Collins and Chicago couldn't come to an agreement, and a big name requires big cash, is Comcast willing to put up that big cash?

Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 9:52

Morning blog on Jrue Holiday, who leads the team in 3-point shooting (40.2 percent).

I'm wondering if Van Gundy carries enough weight to insist on full control over personnel. Getting him could mean both Eds hit the bricks.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 10:50

I have no interest in a roster built by Jeff Van Gundy, more importantly I doubt Comcast can afford his price to pull him back from the mic...it's a lousy situation for Van Gundy to take when there would be better options out there (Coaching a super star like chris paul, or molding john wall or that griffin fella, or if wade gets spolestra fired).

The sixers job is probably one of the least inviting in the league, it's not where sought after coaches go, it's where coaches who can't get any other job go - you know - like Eie Joran - and they're willing to take less money.

That's the crux of it w/ Van Gundy. (a) Would he come here and (b) what would he cost you?

The cost may not be merely monetary. If you don't blanch at his asking price, salary-wise, are you willing to cede control if that's what he wants?

Personally, I would be. Honestly, there isn't much he can do with the state of the team, and I kind of doubt he'd be looking to trade away the guys I consider valuable assets, considering those are also his best defenders.

As for the money, well, you're already up against the lux tax, you could look at a big name coach as a way to recoup some of that lost money.

Would signing Van Gundy increase season ticket sales heading into the season? My guess would be yes, to a degree. It would at least bring back the ones who didn't renew because of Eddie Jordan. Of course, we all know the only way to sustain ticket sales is to win games, which I believe he'd be able to do w/ this roster.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 11:09

You're doing what my boss does I think, looking at the world through your perspective...i doubt the 'average walk up' sixer fan cares who the head coach is, unless there are more wins and a sense of contending.

Van Gundy basketball makes Brown basketball look pretty...unless they're in first place and buzzing for a conference title, I don't expect the hiring of Van Gundy to excite that many people for more than a game or so (see Iverson, Allen, re-signing).

You're one of the people who believes part of the reason Joran was hired was that Washington was paying him still so they could get him cheap for at least one year, and now they'd be pying off Joran for a few years...I see no reason to believe Comcast is going to pay a big name this off-season nor do I expect Stefanski (if allowed to make the hire) to hire ANYONE who might threaten his own job security - that's just a stupid thing for anyone to do :)

I expect if Joran is fired, another retread, still being paid by another team...maybe L Frank.

Course this brings up how idiotic it is that even coaches get guaranteed contracts, but whatever.

I don't think season ticket holders fall into the "average fans" category. We aren't talking about people deciding on the spur of the moment to go check out the sixers because they're winning games, we're talking about people who have some faith in the team heading into the season. I'd say it's 100% certain there will be more season tickets sold if Jeff Van Gundy is announced as the head coach for 2010-2011 in June than their would be if Eddie Jordan is officially brought back to coach the team again next season.

How many more? That's anyone's guess. But to get the walk up crowd, and to become at least a middle-of-the-road draw in the league, well, Jeff Van Gundy's name alone isn't even going to make a dent.

Rob_STC reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 11:50

Brian,

I will give you a first person report tomorrow. Stefanski will be fielding lots of hard questions tonight. I sent you the comments Van Gundy made on the air about defense yesterday. He would be my number 1 choice and I don't care about anything else except for having a coach who has a defense first mentality. IMO Van Gundy would be the guy.

JohnEMagee reply to Rob_STC on Mar 8 at 11:54

I care about having a coach who has a clue what to do with this roster to get the best out of it on BOTH ends of the court.

I really don't care about having another egotisitical retread running the team

Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 11:11

Was told management hasn't made a determination yet on Jordan.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 11:18

Yeah, but what do you expect them to say?

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 11:33

Fair enough, but all I can do is ask.

Another source said management has yet to make a determination on Jordan.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 8 at 11:35

On something like this, honestly, if it was someone with a track record of accuracy (and not Eskin) I'd be more likely to believe the unnamed sources than the party line. THis just isn't the kind of thing you admit to publicly, but you should have made the decision already privacy...and as the west wing told us, people like to be in the know, and they like OTHER people to know they are in the know.

Personally I think Eskins source on this is only 'common sense' - it's a good bet (1:3 I'd say) that Joran gets fired in this off season and then he plucks 'generic' big names...and the local 'hero coach'...to get peoples attention.

I don't believe Eskin has a source but I don't believe Joran is the head coach of the sixers next season UNLESS comcast decides they only want to pay one coach at a time

Agreed, you don't need spider sense, or even a sixth sense, to figure this out. Just common sense.

I doubt whether someone in the sixers org told eskin the decision's been made. But I don't doubt the end result.

I think Jay Wright is overrated

JohnEMagee reply to stan on Mar 8 at 11:47

He's rated as a very good college coach

His record indicates he's a very good college coach

I don't think he's a legitimate NBA coaching candidate, I think eskin springs the name to spur calls into his show

Tom, what is the story behind Stefanski not wanting to interview Collins? I have a difficult time understanding why a GM would hire Eddie Jordan without even interviewing Doug Collins

JohnEMagee reply to ojr107 on Mar 8 at 12:54

Money and control would be my guess

Why didn't collins work out in Chicago when it was a 'done deal'?

I remember reading something about that situation this time last year. Can't remember the details, but do remember it was really odd. Like Collins thought he was only getting the job because of his friendship with Reinsdorf, and he didn't feel right about that and the situation he would've been walking into. I'll look for the link later today.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 13:04

Well that's a weird reason not to take a job - never heard someone turning down a job because of 'nepotism' ;)

I just think that there are a lot better jobs out there this off season be it because of a reich deep pocketed new owner - the chance to coach chris paul or wade - better young roster (chicago) - or the lure of trying to turn the clippers roster into something better...

I think this is going to be like when the sixers were replacing brown and ayers was the (last) option

A couple things. First, Spoelstra is still there in Miami, and if they land Bosh or LeBron to play with Wade, Riley's going to be coaching that team. If they don't, I don't think it really matters. I'm pretty sure VDN saved his job in Chicago as well.

And when we're talking about cheap owners, I think you'd have to say both Sterling and New Orleans' owner are cheaper than Comcast has been with the Sixers, no?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 13:12

Sure - cheap - but both have better rosters :)

As for this whole riley/spolestra thing - I don't buy it - I know you keep pounding the drum of it but I don't buy it

I also don't buy that VDN saved his job in chicago...especially if THEY land someone this off season

(I also think bosh would be a fool to go to miami when he has much better on the court options)

Riley isn't going to let someone else coach the Heat if there's a chance at a title. Ask Stan Van Gundy if you don't believe me.

JVG is the guy I want, but I'm well aware he's an extreme long shot. If not him, Collins. If not Collins, I'd prefer an assistant.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 13:23

Yeah, you keep saying that, but I still don't buy it (plus I don't think adding bosh makes them a title contender since Wade is still fragile and the rest of the roster isn't even mediocre enough to compete with the rest of lebrons roster)

Guys like collins or van gundy mean that the organization truly believes this roster can evolve into a serious winner - which to me means delusion - so i'd rather someone who would be allowed to and ok with losing as the roster is reshaped and developed into more than a perennial first round loser

Yeah, I don't see signing a good coach as a negative, call me crazy.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 13:49

Yeah, I get that you don't, because you like Stefanski have (to me) a delusional view about the upside of this roster.

I don't see this roster AT BEST as anything more than a perennial first round loser, with maybe one or two lucky first round wins, during the left over peak of Brand and whatever peak Iguodala has left.

You seem to think that a different coach will make this team 'much better' whereas to me they'll be a 500 team at best...which, pardon me, isn't exactly something i think that a team should aspire to as the top of their goal list - woo hoo we're consistently 500 -

The roster, as I see it, as currently constructed, is 500 at best, for a while...that's the upside

I get that you think they're mired in mediocrity. I just don't get what you think they should do. Hire a bad coach so they can lose as many games as possible? Hire a good coach who knows he has to lose? I mean, if all you care about is completely bottoming the franchise out, then why not bring Jordan back? He's pretty much as bad as you're going to get, and I don't see how even a halfway decent coach is going to be able to develop anyone on the roster AND tank a full season.

I'm just not sure I understand what you're saying here.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 14:08

I'm saying hire a coach to build for the future - take the iguodala deal that was offered you - find a way to off load brand and sam if possible (or just let sam expire) and accept the reality of that piis poor built roster.

No coach of any 'name' value is going to want to come in and rebuild - hiring a name coach indicates that the franchise and the coach feel the team doesn't need to rebuild...which perpetuates the delusion of competetiveness

I don't want a coach who loses, I want a coach whose primary goal is to DEVELOP THE PLAYERS

It's why i HATE the idea of larry brown coming back, cause all larry brown cares about is quick fix fixing his legacy and then leaving no matter what condition the franchise is in and he's looking for a weak ownership/gm that will allow him to frack with his roster if he wants to.

I know everyone would love to get brown back but I have no interest in that napoleonic nut job coming back

Brown isn't short.

1. Not sure how they're going to take any Iguodala deal that was offered to them, considering all the rumored deals have already been made. So let's just assume you mean, "dump Iguodala, and make sure you don't get anything of real value in return."

2. Who's going to take Brand? Give me one reasonable situation where the Sixers could trade Brand.

So basically, your idea is trade away your best player, miraculously trade away the albatross contract, essentially get the talent level low enough that a new coach will be able to concentrate on defense/smart basketball without actually winning games. Because if you bring in a good coach, and let him focus on those things with the current roster, we're going to be maybe above average, but that's our ceiling.

Does that sum it up?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 14:26

Or we could assume that you have unrealistic ideas about the VALUE of Andre Iguodala around the league when the sixers are desperate sellers. You somehow think the sixers will get equal value if they trade Andre Iguodala - they won't - but i'll tell you what - if they sit on their asses and do nothing - and keep this roster intact except for the various mid to low first round draft picks they're going to obtain - you better hope they get lucky.

You don't have to be short to be an insecure megalomaniac...

Tracy McGrady and Chase Budinger was the BEST OFFER the sixers will probably get for Iguodala, but stefanski,, like you, somehow thinks when you're playing the role of desperate seller you can still get fair value...

A crappy team with a very good player IS STILL A CRAPPY TEAM

A capped out, taxed out, poorly built roster with so many missing pieces it's ridiculous, sure keep Iguodala - until he's worth half of what he is now but the team still hasn't accomplished anything.

You probably feel keeping miller was worth while too because of the almost 500 records that got the sixers their first round whoopings.

In the end, the sixers got squat, miller walked, and the team was worse off then whan he got here - but oh boy - first round ass whoopings - woo hoo

This team has to get MUCH worse before they get better - they aren't getting better in the near future as far as i see it but you obviously drink the stefanski kool aid

Which is awesome, but since you seem to be drinking the stefanski, we can contend if we get the right coach kool-aid - try not to criticize his useless off season moves

I'm not sure where I ever said I thought the Sixers would get equal value for the Sixers. What I said was trading him is a mistake unless you can get equal value. Ergo, don't trade the guy.

I'll respond to the rest of this nonsense after my meeting.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 14:43

A. Not very many trades in the NBA are for equal value
B. All things being equal i would prefer the sixers not trade Iguodala either, but in a city where you have 2 (maybe 3, who knows what the flyers are) teams that are contenders year in and year out at this time, the sixers are so far from contending in my opinion that 'standing still' is pointless....you advocate jettisoning the flotsam and the jetsam but no one wants it...

The sixers are going nowhere for at least the next 3 seasons, if not more, depending on the new CBA and comcasts continued commitment to the bottom line over building the best roster possible, but by all means, make no moves that give you the possibility of trying to re-build a broken mis built roster...cause 500 is awesome

OK, I'm going to ignore the kool aid comments, mainly because I don't think I have the same view as Stefanski. I think hiring Jordan in the first place was a tragic mistake, and refusing to fire him is intolerable.

Do I think this roster can compete for a title? No, not as currently constructed. Do I think they have valuable building blocks? Yes. I think any team would be extremely lucky to have Holiday and Iguodala, those are the guys I'd build around and I don't think moving either one of them is wise unless you get another building block in return.

The important part of your post, and something I agree with, is that you need to get lucky to get to that elite level. To be more accurate, you need to get lucky several times over. The Lakers got lucky in the Kobe draft, they got lucky that Memphis was holding a fire sale. The Celts got lucky they didn't get the top pick in the 2007 draft. They got lucky Seattle was interested in trading Allen for a pick and they got lucky McHale was secretly still working for them. Just for the record, those are your past two championship teams, neither of whom were built around a top five pick of their own.

You see the team's problem as being too good to finish with a bad enough record to get a top pick. I see their problem as being too bad to win it all, but I also realize they have a couple guys who can really be a part of it if they can find a way to add another high quality piece or two.

As for how this relates to coaching, well, I'm down on Speights and Thad right now. Mainly because they've clearly regressed this season. The problem is, I don't know how much of that falls on EFJ. I also don't know what either guy could evolve to be under a good coach.

You can throw stones at this directions all you want, but what it comes down to is that you have more faith in the luck of the draft. I have more faith in the players on the team right now combined with some luck in any one of the three player addition areas in the coming years.

I'm not really sure where the risk lies in sticking with Iguodala at this point. Worst-case, they don't improve at all and in three years you can start bitching about how they need to trade Jrue because he makes the team too good to get a lottery pick.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 16:55

You can't build around Jrue Holiday and ANdre Iguodala - their career arcs are vastly different - by the time jrue starts to peak, Iguodala is most likely about to start the down side of his career.

It'd be the same as having Iguodala and Brand now

I'm ignoring the rest because I find your basic premise that they'll somehow be 'peaking' at the same time flawed

Nick reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 17:15

Where is Brian talking about "peaking"? I reject your rejection of a nonexistent premise.

Who gives a damn about "career arcs" -- the point is whether Iggy will still be playing at a high level in three years at age 29, and there's no reason to think he won't be.

The Greek reply to Nick on Mar 8 at 17:20

Agreed talking about a career arc in this instance where one guy would be 29 and the other 21 is a non point especially when that 21 year old will be a fukn beast by then. And since when did 29 become 39?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 8 at 17:23

Expecting a 19 year old to be at his career peak in the 3rd year of his career might be a bit much.

Basketball age is different than actual age - that's why KG is so 'old' already.

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 17:27

Im not saying that Jrue will be at his peak in three years but I am expecting him to be one hell of a player.

As far as Garnett, that injury robbed him of his athleticism. If Iggy makes it to 29 without a major injury then I see no reason that he wouldn't be the same player that he is today.

The Celts won their title with all three of their stars past their peaks. It would be great if both guys were at their absolute best, but that's very rare. Whether they could both be big parts of a contending team is the question. Jrue at 22 and Iguodala at 29, yes, I believe they could be.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 18:58

No - they weren't all 3 past their peaks

They have been the past 2 years - but they got one 'peak' year out of them

Well that's good news for the Sixers, then, because they were 30, 31 and 32 at the time. If "peaks" extend into the early 30s, then they've got 5 or 6 years left for Jrue to reach his while Iguodala is still in his.

Per Kate Fagan on Twitter, Speight out for tomorrow's game and Wednesday's.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 15:26

As a high-profile coach, I think Collins would want some say in personnel decisions. The Sixers need a coach with a strong personality and (somewhat) of a track record -- if not an up-and-coming guy like Thibodeau.

I would be okay with a coach who's good at developing young players but isn't an offensive (or even defensive) genius. Because it is true that in the short term the goal isn't winning games. There are probably a number of assistant coaches that fit that profile.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 8 at 14:33

Do Doug Collins, Jeff Van Gundy or Avery Johnson fit that profile to you?

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 20:41

Eh... well, I wouldn't say Collins is a defensive or offensive genius (Jeff's a pretty great defensive coach, Avery has to be given some credit defensively), but I don't think he's exactly good at developing young players.

FireTheEDs on Mar 8 at 17:15

Hey Brian or any of the smarter people that own blogs and keep track of the 76ers,

I know most 6ers fans think that Jrue can be a real good player in the NBA, and I just wanted to ask a question. Who could Jrue's game be compared to, in the future, if he were to reach his potential. I'm thinking something like Eric Snow with better offense or a Chauncey Billups-type guy. I know I shouldn't compare the youngest player in the NBA with a top 10, if not top 5 PG, but that's just my thought and I know that there have been stupider ones.

And one more question. Let's say that the Sixers got lucky, and got the 3rd overall pick with #1 taking John Wall and #2 taking Evan Turner, who would you pick?

The Greek reply to FireTheEDs on Mar 8 at 17:17

As a 19 year old Jrue's offensive game is superior to what snow was in his prime.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 8 at 17:22

Yeah, but whose offensive game isn't superior to eric snow? He never really had one - which was fine - he didn't need to

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 17:32

I was just responding to the question of whether Jrue will turn out to be as good as Eric Snow. Greg Anthony was pretty terrible on offense, possibly worst then Snow.

BTW even though the guy hates playing Europeans, I would love for JVG to be our head coach.

Alvin reply to The Greek on Mar 9 at 0:30

We don't have any Europeans now do we?

JVG for the win.

For Jrue comps, I really don't know. If his jumper is legit and he can stretch the floor like this, it will open the world up to him on the offensive end. With his passing skills, he could really be a dominant P&R point with the right big. On the defensive end, I've never seen a kid his age with the size, quickness, ability and most importantly, mindset to be a defensive stopper. The sky really is the limit for Jrue in my mind, it's all going to come down to his will, work ethic, and for fuck's sake, getting a good coach in here who will reward the right things and school him in what's important at the pro level.

The Greek reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 17:49

This is the kind of banter that gets me exited, keep on pouring that Jesus juice on the kid.

What I really want is for the new coach to find a way to make that the first scorer. Scoring is what he does best so let him do it. And maybe with a real coach maybe Thad can become an above average defender.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Mar 8 at 17:51

Sorry meant to say excited and not exited!!

On Demarcus Cousins, he is the meanest freshmen that I have ever seen on a basketball court. With our mixture of pussies his aggressiveness would be welcome.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 8 at 18:57

He has huge warning flags that a guy like you would just hate...coachability, attitude, his 'meanness' is seen as a negative because it's not that KG pussies meanness but actual issues he might have with authority

JohnEMagee reply to FireTheEDs on Mar 8 at 17:48

YOu didn't ask me but I'd take DeMarcus Cousins

Yeah, I think I would as well. I have concerns, but he's been dominant. I don't see how you pass on him in that situation.

I'd probably go Cousins as well.

But Favors is working his way back into the argument. 16.4/9.6 with 2.4 blocks in his last 5.

johnrosz on Mar 8 at 17:58

Let's be honest, Jordan will never be able to land another head coaching job in the league. I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere as an assistant coach based upon his offensive guru reputation. He's far too ugly and awkward to be a tv analyst. His ceiling will be as an assistant or maybe coaching at a small college.

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Mar 8 at 18:02

That's a hilarious comment! Agreed after this shitstorm of a season The thief of Baghdad is FINISHED as a head coach. Maybe he could coach the globetrotters, and have them run that dribble hand off that turns into a 28 foot contested jumper.

They'd lose to the Generals if EFJ was coaching them.

Any thoughts on this?

Report: Iverson facing trouble

"According to multiple NBA sources, there is widespread concern that the four-time NBA scoring champion, who left the Philadelphia 76ers in February to deal with his daughter's illness and will not return this season, "will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away," Smith reported.

Iverson's gambling problem is serious enough that he has been banished from casinos in Detroit and Atlantic City, N.J., according to Smith."

First reactions
- Sadly this doesn't surprise me in the least especially the gambling part.

- You have to figure the Sixers knew about these issues especially the gambling one because they resigned them. Really makes bringing back AI now just that much more of a desperate move to draw another 20-30k fans.

The Greek reply to MG77 on Mar 8 at 18:53

Back in 2005 I remember playing poker at the Borgada and Iverson was there. I'm not sure what he was playing but I will never forget that the dealer was talking about how Iverson was always there and that he was the cheapest tipper. So every time I hear whispers about Iverson I always remember this.

He doesn't score 30ppg anymore, so it's OK to kick him now. I've been avoiding these stories as much as possible. I feel bad for the guy on a number of different levels, but this drinking and gambling stuff is nothing new, stephen ahole smith is just kicking a guy when he's down.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 19:02

I avoided them too - i was hoping no one would mention it :)

best comparison i can think of for jrue would be jason kidd. that's a best case scenario obviously. i still can't tell whether jrue can actually shoot or not.

JohnEMagee reply to mike on Mar 8 at 19:16

Jrue currently is the sixers best 3 point shooter for the season I believe.

I'm not sure if that's cause he can shoot or cause everyone else just sucks

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 8 at 19:49

probably a combination of both.

40% is legitimately good. If he was leading at 35% it would be a debate.

It's also still a relatively small sample size. If 5 of those makes rim out he's at 35%. It's not like we're talking about a guy who's made 300 three's in his nba career.

deepsixersuede on Mar 8 at 20:43

J.Jack with better p.g. skills would be a worst case scenerio for me but a Doc Rivers type career is what I expect; they are the same size and probably will be a steady borderline allstar type.

"The Lakers got lucky in the Kobe draft, they got lucky that Memphis was holding a fire sale. The Celts got lucky they didn't get the top pick in the 2007 draft. They got lucky Seattle was interested in trading Allen for a pick and they got lucky McHale was secretly still working for them. Just for the record, those are your past two championship teams, neither of whom were built around a top five pick of their own. I guess the big disconnect between you and I is that you think it's more likely we get lucky in the draft if we completely bottom out, I think it's just as likely we get lucky with a later draft pick and/or trade/free agency at some point down the line without trading away your best player at 26-years-old."

Now let's parse this. I highly doubt that some elite player is going to refuse to play for Team X, but agree to be traded to us, anytime soon. So the Kobe strategy is out. I don't believe that there are any GMs in the league secretly working for Stefanski, so the McHale thing is out too. Somebody could trade us a complementary piece, like Ray Allen, for one of our picks one day. That's possible. As for other types of trades, we have little of value outside of the players you want to build around. How much could Speights and Young really be worth? There are tons of players in the league who potentially could average 20 a game with little defense or rebounding. Then there's free agency, but for years to come we won't have the money to sign someone to a max deal, and to my mind free agency's more of a crapshoot than lottery picks. The Knicks have all the cap space in the world, but what are the odds that they'll get what they want? More likely than not they'll bring in Joe Johnson and Stoudemire and become a worse version of the Western Conference finalist Suns. Mistakes in free agency (Brand, my Knicks hypo) are more costly than bad draft picks. And a team built around free agents or trades has a shorter window to contend because those players are older; see Boston, which is through. Cleveland, Denver and Orlando can be contenders for the next decade if they can keep their homegrown stars. More chances to win means a greater chance of actually winning once or twice.

Cleveland has homegrown stars? I thought they had LeBron and a bunch of nomads.

And pointing out how rare it is that teams get lucky doesn't really disprove my point. I could show you how the odds were against OKC getting Durant, and how Chicago would've been a joke for decades if the Blazers hadn't passed on Michael Jordan. There are plenty of trade and FA moves that have happened to turn teams into contenders that could happen in Philly. Gasol, Shaq to MIA, Chauncey to DEN. The list goes on.

As for the cap situation, in two seasons, Brand is an expiring deal, Iguodala's 26 and Jrue is 21. If there's an opportunity to add a star next season, they've got the expiring pieces needed to get just about anyone. It's going to take some luck, probably about the same amount of luck as shooting for a series of high lottery picks would take, the only difference being we hopefully won't have to suffer through a decade of the type of basketball we've seen this season to get to where we want to go. Who knows, maybe we even get lucky in the lottery this summer and wind up with John Wall. That's essentially what happened with Seattle when they got Durant.

Oh and Andre Miller somehow dunked last night:

Alvin reply to Tray on Mar 9 at 0:25

Holy shit where did the hops come from?

Wow, Knicks beat the Hawks on a crazy finish.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 8 at 21:57

Makes up for losing to the Nets I guess

eddies' heady's on Mar 8 at 22:12

If Jeff Van Gundy couldn't muster much of anything with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady then I think he offers this roster pretty much nothing. We don't have anyone, maybe Iguodala, that could even come close to the talent level those two possessed when he coached them. Personally, I would want no part of him, although, I think he would want no part of us, as has been mentioned by others earlier today. Didn't he publicly turn down an interview last year? May be wrong, but I thought he passed on being considered.

I just have this respect for what Avery Johnson was able to do with that Dallas roster defensively and all-around too. I've just liked him since then and him seeing the game through a point guard's eyes is another plus. I was quietly in the Elston Turner camp last year also, in addition to Johnson.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 8 at 22:15

Does McGrady play defense?

Do Yao and McGrady ever stay healthy at the same time?

Eddie Jordan sees the game through a point guard's eyes too. That's meaningless to me. Avery strikes me as a complete moron.

Charlie Ace on Mar 9 at 11:16

If the Sixers hire Van Gundy, Jeff, say goodbye to the running game.