Eddie The Tank

Kate comes through with a great article once again.

In the short run, I do want the team to tank now (hate to say it) as this year is already screwed. But in the future (when EJ is canned), I definitely agree a more defensive minded coach is needed. I'd prefer Thibideau instead of a retread but I wouldn't mind Ed Van Gundy, Collins or even Larry Brown (who had been saying he missed Philly) as long as they don't give Brown full roster control again.

As far as Stefanski goes, I'd rather DiLeo take over as I don't have any confidence in his decision making anymore. Most people liked signing Brand at first but the decision to hire Eddie Jordan was foolish from the beginning and most everyone thought that was a bad idea for this roster.

One thing I'm hoping is that the new coach will be able to develop Jrue, Thad and Speights. Jrue's D seems to have slipped lately (since EJ only cares about the offense) and I'm hoping Thad can get back to his rookie year level of defense and rebounding where he was much better at both. Speights was never even an average defender but I hope the new coach can improve him too.

Incidentally, a writer from SI ranked the rookie PGs (top 10) and he rated Jrue 8th. That seems low to me. Since he has started getting more consistent minutes he has shown more offensive skill and he is arguably the toughest defender in that list. What do you guys think?

Assuming they're talking about current productivity and not potential, it's hard to really argue with 1-5. Maybe Lawson, but he put up pretty good numbers when given the starting opportunity.

No reason Maynor should be ahead, and Flynn's been very disappointing this year, although that team, personnel and style of play, really doesn't fit his game at all.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 10 at 7:17

7 games ago, i said jordan had 10 games left. i stood alone in saying he would be going before season end. its an insult to the players if they let him 'finish out the season'.

Duracorr reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 10 at 7:33

I would be very disappointed if Jordan was fired before the end of the season. I'm convinced he is Stefanski's tanking strategy. A coaching change to anyone else would result in an attitude change among the players and they'd probably win a bunch of game. I'd love to see them finish 4th from the bottom.

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 7:56

Sounds like this is going to be a package deal...

Sweet.

Hopefully, Snider is smart enough to realize that keeping EFJ around to lose more games is the smart way to go here.

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 8:24

DiLeo as GM and Bill Laimbeer as HC.

Simple, relatively inexpensive...and effective. Laimbeer will help this team grow a sack.

deepsixersuede reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 8:53

How about Laimbeer as our backup center? L.Brown is said to want total control if he gets the Clipper job, that tells me , no, not here, and I love him as a coach. If E.S. is allowed to bring in a young assistant [Turner, Thibedeax, Corbin?] than he can stay but if he is afraid for his job and goes the safe route ,see ya !! I like what has been written about L.Frank recently; visiting different teams to watch practice techniques, [Popovich, Calapari]; he is interesting to me but how does our g.m. go the nets route again?

Jrue and Sam seem to be working well together, I really hope Sam resigns at a lower rate and we get that " tough s.o.b. type player to share the 5 spot with him.

Although your analysis here was brief...your blogs are 10x better than others that are out there! I mean...I just read Lynam's latest defending EJ & his record by comparing it to those of O'Brien, Kuester & others this year. She also cites problems that have been following the team for "more than a couple of years now" further distancing him/his role in this mess! Didn't she used to be a more keen observer or are 41 wins that easily forgotten or EJ's bizzare coaching this year forgiven?

JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 9:36

One of these sources indicated that the company had considered terminating Jordan earlier, but likely was "deterred" by the early-season firing of former Flyers coach John Stevens.

This is from Kate Fagans article this morning, and baffling if true...what does firing the flyers coach have to do with the crap job the sixers coach would doing...unless Comcast didn't want to be paying more than one coach per team to not work? If Stevens hadn't been fired Joran would have? Sure that makes sense.

No to Tony DiLeo as GM - he is good at what he does - very good - making him GM weakens what has been the only realtive strength for the sixers for a while now.

Bill Lambeer with all his NBA assistant coaching credibility definitely makes a good candidate if you buy into this 'tough' bs - or you can realize that toughness wasn't questioned before idiot boy was the coach.

when i saw that the pacers beat the sixers, i hissed a 'yessssss' and immediately thought, who the hell am i? rooting against the sixers is contradictory to my nature and completely new territory for me. i've never rooted for any team to tank. i've said it before, and i'll say it again: i need therapy, because of this season.
somebody give me a heads-up when they are eliminated from the playoffs so i have the green light to root for brandon jennings.

"Several other sources also indicated that the organization will "seriously evaluate" Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski, who hired Jordan less than a year ago.

Sounds like he may be gone at season's end.

Charlie Ace on Mar 10 at 9:53

Nice game by Kapono. And he played the last 15 minutes of the game in Iguodala's place. If that isn't proof that Jordan is tanking, I don't know what is.

To me Stefanski seems to be the kind of guy who understands basketball. He realizes that defense wins games and that you need a big man in order to stay competitive in this league. Almost every decision he had made until this ofseason I had agreed bwith. When I hear him talk on the radio or in press conferences it baffles me that this man spent the ofseason hiring Eddie Jordan and acquiring Brezek and Kapono.

deepsixersuede reply to stan on Mar 10 at 10:28

Totally agree; adding Jrue!s ball pressure up top, another good wing defender/scorer in this draft, filling out the roster with physical defensive oriented role players to put around our bench scorers [Thad, Lou, Marreese] and getting a defense first coach is what I want to see this offseason.

AMAZING PICTURE

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 10:39

Just received an e-mail response from Peter Luukko in which he again claimed management hasn't decided to fire coach Eddie Jordan at the end of the season. He also said the Inquirer report in which "sources indicated that the company had considered terminating Jordan earlier, but likely was 'deterred' by the early-season firing of former Flyers coach John Stevens" is inaccurate. "It has nothing to do with Stevens," Luukko said.

deepsixersuede reply to Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 11:25

Tom, thanks; question: what is there to gain by putting this out there, is it a test to see which players quit on a lame duck coach and to weed out such players.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Mar 10 at 11:29

This team lost to the pacers without Danny Granger

Do they need proof that the players have quit on the idiot coach?

It's no fun being in the know if you can't tell someone you're in the know

Tom Moore reply to deepsixersuede on Mar 10 at 11:38

Could be. Management may want to see how players respond.

Perhaps a few folks couldn't stay quiet any longer. The Sixers' irrelevance must be tough to take.

Losing to the Pacers w/o Granger is almost as bad as it gets, but... remember earlier in the year when we lost to the Pistons without Ben Gordon, without T.Prince AND RIP!!! that was the point where I lost all faith in Jordan.

The Greek reply to ojr107 on Mar 10 at 14:09

It's been all downhill ever since that pre-season game on nbatv that was broadcast in Spanish.

yo, so i think i'm gonna make it down to philly for friday's game. who all is goin to that? and should i still join in the fire jordan chants, even though we already know he's getting canned?

i remember like 3 yrs ago, they were selling "don't hate the players, hate the coach" t-shirts outside the garden. i hope i can find an equivalent down in philly.

joeykey@gmail.com if you wanna meet up at the game. Word.

Tom Moore reply to joeykey on Mar 10 at 15:27

No guarantee LeBron will play, though the Cavs are better without him than the Pacers without Granger.