Keep the Momentum

Hey guys!!!

I've been reading Depressed Fan for almost a year now and finally i decided to join and occasionally chat Sixers ball with you. All this talk about firing EJ was just too damn exciting not to comment lol.

I guess i don't need to go at great lengths to explain my view about the sixers since it's 90% similar to yours so i'll just lay out a few random thoughts to introduce myself as a Sixer fan:

1. EJ is the worst coach i've ever seen. (There it is, i can continue with a sigh of relief now)

2. As baffling as Stefanski's decisions have been over the past year, i have to say i think ES is a good guy and he knows what he is doing. I think he deserves another year at least.

3. I think with the right coach, and especially the right system the roster wouldn't look as dysfunctional as it has all year. So NO, i don't think we need a fire sale.

4. The leadership factor and the nastiness are issues, but they are not as bad as advertised and i think they are fixable.

5. I'm falling in love with Jrue!!! Seriouslly lol!!!

6. This seasons draft and coaching hire (I'm assuming there will be one) are crucial for the next half decade.

7. Financial flexibility is key in todays version of the NBA. However i do not believe in free agency miracles. Maintaining flexibility is not the same with clearing enough cap to go after big time free agents. That's just wishful thinking. Just ask the Nets, Knicks, Clippers, Wizards... when they all strike out this summer. Or the Pistons this year... Ouch. Accordingly, i think taking a smarter and patient approach roster-wise might me the best way to go.

8. A defense first coach is nearly a must, considering the roster. JVG and Thibideaux would both be great decisions, but i don't think either will come, which is unfortunate. Of the realistic ones i really really like L. Frank to be honest. I think he's a learner of the game and willing to adjust for the greater good. I remember last year when he modified the Nets offense top to bottom to fit Devin Harris better. And it worked, they won a lot of games with a terrible roster. Harris is lost without him this year. He's a combination of experience and youth in coaching.

I guess it's more than enough. Btw i'm from Macedonia (the country in Europe not the US town) and i may just be the only non-american on this blog now. I can't watch all Sixers games unfortunately due to time zone differences but i am doing my best.

Wow a lonnnngggg opening speech. I'm heading out now...

Nice intro! I think most of us agree with you 100%. Some may want Ed S. fired but I actually agree with you.

Welcome, Brian has great writeups!

Joe reply to Xsago on Mar 10 at 17:38

I think some fans(definitely NOT the majority) have very similar thoughts. I am one of those fans.

I thought Macedonia ceased to exist like 2000 years ago. Learned something new today.

T reply to Xsago on Mar 10 at 18:38

completely agree with basically everything you said, welcome..

u from Macedonia? I am italian but 25% serbian and 25% croatian, pozdrav :-)

many good points btw. Except you are not the only non-US Sixers fan, ehehehe...

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:20

Jordan said pregame that he resents reports that he's lost the locker room. "I don't know where that comes from. People put that out there. They're full of crap."

This guy is just too much. I guess losing the locker room assumes that he had the locker room at one point, so technically he might be right.

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:36

Jordan: "I have a good quality staff. The staff has been to the Finals. The staff has been to the Finals. We’ve got good, rich, solid basketball history and we work hard every day. And our team works hard every day. That’s all you want."

Jeff reply to Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:50

Did he actually repeat the "...staff has been to the finals," part twice?
Ha ha, hilarious. That doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to reshape your system to fit the skills of the current players and/or carry a communist mindset in regards to roster rotation.

johnrosz reply to Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:50

Saw some of the interview on CSN, I found it amazing that he cited beating the Raptors/ splitting a 2 game road trip as proof that the locker room still respects him. Jeez Eddie, grabbing at straws a little bit?

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:40

Jordan said he won't go to management to ask anything. "No. I said that from Day 1. If they ask me, I’ll give ’em my opinion. Once in a while, we have dialogue."

Since we meet up with Larry Brown again, how does "Losing the right way" sound?

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:50

Asked how he handles these rumors, Jordan said, "Look, if you know how to handle it, it won’t bother you. You stay strong, There’s an old poem I read a long time ago about the oak tree. We’ve been around long enough, done enough diligence, enough work, that our roots grow deeper than you can see."

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:55

Asked if he feels like the team is still listening to him, Jordan replied, "Absolutely. We just won a game against the fifth seed in Toronto. You guys push that aside like it’s nothing. We split a (two-game) road trip."

johnrosz reply to Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 18:59

Tom, how did you keep from laughing when you heard this response? This guy is unbelievable

Alright, it's almost that time.

Really curious as to the matchups to start the game. Will Jordan put Jrue on Stephen Jackson?

If any team ever called for a big starting lineup, this is it. Jrue, AI9, Thad, EB, SD.

Here we go, same starting lineup.

JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 19:12

On defense, he clearly doesn't care.

well see - he doesn't wanna get benched

Wow, that place is completely empty. On league pass they show this stationary camera instead of commercials sometimes, there are a few lower level sections with literally like 10-20 people in the entire section.

Iguodala in the post to get things started. Missed shot, though.

Jrue is on Stephen Jackson, huge size problems there.

Jrue is Top 20 in the NBA in 3 point shooting? Wow.

Another three for Jrue.

EB was great last time against Charlotte at home, maybe this start is a sign of things?

I absolutely love Jrue's patience with the ball 90% of the time. When players have that, they typically turn into something special.

Does it look like Sammy is getting a little payback on Ratliff for the comments he made after the playoffs last season?

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 19:20

Already 5 boards for Sammy in half a quarter.

Time to bench him :)

Get Kapono in there.

Tom Moore on Mar 10 at 19:16

Brown on Iverson: "Everywhere I went, people came out to see him. I don’t think there was a greater competitor in our league. Hopefully, he can get himself straightened out and he’ll be given another chance. I still believe -- maybe he won’t play at the level I saw him play at -- but I still think he can help somebody. He needs basketball. I think our league needs to take care of guys who made a contribution."

I believe that's a 9-0 run for CHA.

Wallace is probably the toughest physical matchup for AI9 at SF in the league. I'm talking on the defensive end. I would say Artest, but his offensive game is questionable to me.

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 19:26

Wallace's rebounding is amazing, carrying my fantasy team this year. Just a rugged player.

Sick defensive play by Jrue ignites the break. EB cleans it up w/ a dunk on the other end.

Wow, Jordan went ultra-big with his first sub. This is the lineup I've been wanting to see.

JH, AI, TY, EB, SD

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 19:31

Takes Jrue off Jackson, but is Thad really tough enough to stop Wallace from doing anything he wants?

This is from Rob on Twitter:

Lowest scoring team in the league is going to get 30 pts this quarter

Man, Charlotte is suffocating with those traps.

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 19:34

Jrue was lucky to get out of the last one. Nice step-through though.

That's three on Iguodala.

3 on Iggy, last 2 trying to protect the rim after a TO. Charlotte is suffocating the hell out of the ball-handler right now.

Isn't it fun to watch our offensive "system" against a stout defense?

37 points allowed in the first quarter. That's just awesome.

The tank job is looking pretty secure for tonight.

23-37, after one.

How embarrassing was that? It has to be their highest scoring quarter of the year by a lot.

HAHA! 37 points for the bobcats in the first quarter

37 points in the first quarter. From the Bobcats!!!

We really ran zero offense that quarter. I mean, wasn't the PO supposed to be dynamite against aggressive, trapping team?

Wow, what a freakin dunk.

Wow, didn't know Thad had that type of aggression in him. Big slam & 1.

Thad's hustling out there. (trying to find positive things to say).

Wow, Thad with the block.

Nice pass Lou.

Get Jrue back in the game.

They should make the Sixers play the Globe Trotters.

Jrue's back in.

Smith is such a spaz out there.

And the boos rain down!

I'm like Cole Hamels right now, I want this season to be over.

It's pure luck when the Sixers score in the half court.

Retract that Thad playing hard comment, he let Tyrus Thomas go right around.

At least Jrue looks like he cares on getting better. I kind of would prefer that, because it ensures a loss and development from him.

Really good read by Jrue hitting Carney streaking on that lazy switch. That's why I still watch, but it's barely enough.

I hear ya.

When Carney is your leading scorer you know you are in trouble...

A fair amount of boos send the team off!

Alright, Sixers down by 18 at the half. The Bobcats are on pace to score 124 points. Stellar.

I gotta say the guy I'm really dissapointed with is Iguodala. I don't care if I want them to lose, he's not playing hard whatsoever. Tonight was a little different with the fouls, but he just looks like he's quit. He's not the only one, but I think that he should be held to a higher standard.

eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 20:20

And they should boo those sad-sacks! They show no pride or love for the game. I mean, where's the love for the game for crying out loud?

I called them a bunch of pouters early in the season but that was giving them too much credit. They're playing like a bunch of cowards b/c they appear to have tucked their tails and ran. Sheesh.................

BUt hey, they'll get that check this week though.

mo money mo problems. But I'm feeling kind of positive. Looks like we'll get a decent pick, we'll have a new coach next year, and we can see what this roster can do with a coherent system, a more mature Jrue, and maybe a stud rookie.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 21:25

Yes - all these problems that are occuring with the players motivations this year are purely the players fault

cause it's happened every season Iguodala was in the league and not just this year when his coach was a total tool

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 21:43

If only you ever played the game,.... if only. So you'll never understand.

I assume you're a grown man, so I guess your boss has to give you a 'pep talk' and 'motivate' your grown ass everyday you go to work, huh?............... 'Come on Johnny, I know you don't like that I don't know what I don't know, but you're smart enough to come up with a new flavor of coffee for me, now.'

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 21:45

If only you ever played the game,.... if only. So you'll never understand.

You're really going to bring out that asinine juvenile chestnut.

The implication is that you somehow played in the NBA or that I never played sports or comprehend sports?

Stick to listening to WIP and Eskin -it's where you belong - with those knuckle dragging 'fans' who believe thing like Reggie Evans is a good basketball player and that Bobby Abreu was lazy and Aaron Rowand was good

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 22:00

I'm going to leave this alone before Brian has to police me.

But the implication and my level of playing is that if I could ever be fortunate enough to get your ass on the asphalt or hardcourts, it would prove nothing of course, but it would do one thing - and that is shut you up.

You see how Lou was on the strong side when Brand was doubled there? They never, ever do that. It's just a fundamental thing that they fail so frequently.

A little more enthusiasm to start the 2nd half here?

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Mar 10 at 20:35

naw, just fool's gold.

Bad shot, bad transition D, no help, silly foul.

Yeah.

Rich reply to Rich on Mar 10 at 20:39

Wash, rinse, repeat.

eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 20:38

Dre, take the ball to the hoop and stop jacking at every opportunity. Contested jacks at that. Damn.

Oh, man. I wish blowouts counted for more than one loss.

Horrible shot by Lou. That's like 5 in a row, including one from Jrue.

This is just some beautiful offense. Airballed threes at the buzzer, "healthy" threes with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, turnovers.

eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 20:44

Man, this is tough. I can't remember feeling this discouraged even in the Barros and Spoon years. Because those teams at least seemed like they were trying. These guys truly play like they just don't give a fuck. I don't give a shit who you don't believe in or don't like, just have respect for the game and the paying customers who foot your salary every week.

Here's a good question: What's been worse tonight, offense or defense? Keep in mind they are playing 4 on 5 when Ratliff is on the floor and 4.5 on 5 when Chandler is on the floor, but this offense is terrible.

Defense has been worse.

This is the 12th rotation used in this game by the Sixers, none of them have had a positive +/-.

Can you ever remember a 32 to 16 FT advantage for the road team?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:46

The sixers seem to get less free throws in general - probably nothing to do with the 'offense' the team runs - it's mainly cause the sixers are all tools

23-59 is feeling totally within reach.

If anyone at the game is reading this, start the "Jo-die, Jo-die" chant, please.

eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 20:52

Didn't someone pose the scenario earlier today that management leaked these rumors to see which players would show some spunk? Well the answer seems to be NONE. Sad.

Show some spunk to save Jordan's job? Would you?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:09

Come on man. The guy's job is done and they know it. There's no saving it (unless Comcast isn't going to pay another coach that isn't coaching for them).

Damn right I would show some spunk. It's called respect for the game. It's called pride as a player and a team. It's called being a professional. It's called having some valor and mettle as a damn man.

You really think if they were to somehow win 10 more games it would 'save' this guy's job? His tenure isn't going to be predicated on that. If anything, it is going to come down to finances and nothing else.

I think you mentioned that you previously played, so you would go out there and just mail it in just because of something or someone you don't like?

I hope not, because that is utter disrespect for everything Naismith intended the game to be. That's just being a bunch of wussified selfish prima donnas.

I know you have this high standard for how athletes should act, but even the best players ever mail it in when the motivation isn't there and/or they don't believe in what the team is doing. You should watch the HBO special on Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, listen to Bird talk about the end of his career when the team was a joke, after Magic retired.

I don't like it, but we are where we are because of this buffoon coach. No one on that team is listening to a word he says anymore. You've got 12 guys playing an asinine system on both floors with absolutely no confidence in it. Everything on the floor has devolved into getting their own numbers. It's pitiful, absolutely pitiful.

The players should be ashamed of how they're reacting to this situation, without a doubt, but it's not their fault that we've sunk this low. And honestly, there's nothing they can do to change things.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:29

Agree with everything. But it may not be their fault we've sunk this low, but it is their fault when they have no respect for the 'game' and everything the 'game' stands for. And they probably can't do anything to change things, but they can control their effort and passion, and that they can change.

It's just tough man, real tough.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 21:46

you talk about respect for the game so much and i really admire that. But it confuses me that someone with such old school values with regard to the fundamentals and principles of the game tends to gloss over Jordans flaws and dole out a majority of the blame to the players. The coach (also overpaid, 4 years 12 million) has no regard for defense ...

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Mar 10 at 22:11

I could go on and on but the best way I can sum this up for you is, the coach can't play.

My Jordan/players argument has been well documented all season long. To not come close to getting the systems down pat, to tune him out way early, to give such sporadic effort early in the season and continually throughout it, to freelance out of timeouts when it was publicly stated the play was designed for something else, to not even attempt to halfway execute the systems, it's pretty tough for me not to put the majority of blame on the players.

Look I have my beef with things EJ has or hasn't done, but it isn't nearly as glaring as the players inadequacies. And I'm talking way back in Nov and Dec, just not recently. This goes back to the Utah game at home and the Memphis game too. It was way too early into this coach's tenure for these guys to display whatever the hell it was they were displaying. Because it sure wasn't effort and it sure wasn't execution. Again, the staff can't get out there and play.

It's not glossing over his flaws so much as it's seeking some sort of reasons for some, not all, of his flaws.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 10 at 22:46

I agree with everything you said about the players. Fans have a tendency to jump all over the coach whenever the team doesn't perform well, but a lot of times the players just aren't getting the job done. The body of work has to be considered when you look at the coach though. For example, Andy Reid is a very good head coach yet this town makes him out to be the most incompetent fool to ever walk the sidelines. For me, his body of work makes a lot of the criticism unfounded. Then you take a look at a guy like EJ...his body of work is so incredibly poor that I have to think he deserves at least equal blame in this mess...

Either way, this is just a sad sad time to be a Sixers fan, only highlight of the Stefanski era is bringing back the old logo...

5 fouls on Smith.

Come on, bring in Kapono.

Does a 30-point loss at home to the Bobcats qualify as losing the team in ownership's eyes?

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:01

Are they even watching through those eyes?

Probably not.

what are you talking about losing the team...they beat the raptors! they are the 5th seed!

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:12

Nope, it qualifies as a team of a bunch of losers.

First good shot in awhile from Iguodala there.

Yup. I thought he was going to take the three.

Down by 27 heading into the fourth. Yet another game where the Sixers can shut out their opponent in the fourth quarter and they will most likely still lose the game.

58-85.

I've been geeking out playing PS3, so I check on the score on NBA.com and see it's a monster blowout.

Jinkies. Is Jrue looking good at least? I'd like to say I'm a diehard fan to watch every game but the team just makes me so depressed. If we can get Thibedbuudobo and a good pick I'll be excited again like a chump.

Jrue looked OK early, it all fell apart for everyone quickly, though.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:13

Well at least it's against a scrappy hustling team that plays defense. You know, the team the sixers should be.

:*(

Iguodala may have gotten away with a shove on that dunk there. Extended the arm :)

What the heck is the rat so mad about?

Anyone have a guess as to what Willie was doing on that turnover? The camerawork must've been bad, because it looked like he handed the ball to CHA and just started trotting back on defense.

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:09

I think the ball slipped and he didn't even try to go after it and just casually turned around and ran.

See, this is kind of odd.

Last night, they really could've won that game had the regulars played in the fourth quarter. Instead, the minutes went to Kapono and Smith. Tonight, the game is clearly out of reach and he's got Iguodala and Brand in there.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:13

Hes high

Jake reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 21:29

I believe the term is "quirky"

Zumoff, "Chances are, LeBron James will be in uniform on Friday night." so please, please come to the friggin game.

I was kind of hoping we'd have a chance to see Kapono brick a couple threes in garbage time.

MEEKS!

Jodie!!!!

Eh. Sixers shave 12 points off the deficit in the fourth, makes it look not quite as bad as it was.

Sixers 87, Bobcats 102 is your final.

If Eddie won't get fired after tonight, he's making it to the end of the season.

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 21:41

I wonder what the pre-sale is for Friday...this is probably the last shot at a big gate this season (unless you think they'll draw a crowd for Orlando on a Monday night)...if they don't have at least 15,000 tickets sold for that game right now. I wonder if they would blow Jordan out tomorrow to help give the Cavs game some additional buzz...

At this point, I am afraid that they may be forced to let Jordan go - they've still got 12 home games left, and Comcast may be cheap enough to try to salvage the unsalvagable...sacrifice Jordan and hope that they can creat enough buzz to sell another 20-25,000 tickets before the season is over (althouogh the way they are giving these tickets away, there isn't a lot of revenue to be had here).

Jordan- "I have no problem with out effort and we played hard for 48 minutes."

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 21:42

"I have no problem with our effort,. and we played hard for 48 minutes..."

Oh. My. GOD.

Donyell Marshall- "As a fan you probably want Jordan but as a player you want him back for sticking his neck out for you and not throwing you under the bus."

This is bizarre.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Mar 10 at 21:50

I think its part of the job of the post game crew to try and put out the fire. They have to at least try to spin things a little bit. There's no way in hell Donyell actually believes that.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 10 at 21:51

They work for comcast - they don't wanna get fired.

Ugh what a horrible day, I'm out of sixers blogs to read.

bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 21:47

Donyell - "We watched the game...the fans watched the game...there was no effort out there..."

Looks like he's taking some lessons from the Kate Fagan school of diplomacy.

johnrosz on Mar 10 at 21:57

Lou was just asked if he has been listenig to the critics: "Nah, I never have really" Thought that was kind of funny

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 10 at 21:58

Why?

Most actors/athletes tend to ignore critics because they don't think they know what they're talking about.

Lou Williams went so far as to make his twitter account all private he didn't like the criticism.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 22:02

I still recall memories of a 19 year old Lou Williams getting lectured on the sideline about D'ing up by Cheeks. Lou just kinda laughing it off and slapping him on the back. Odds are Lou doesn't think his game is flawed in any way, and hasn't learned a thing about bball since he was about 15 years old.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Mar 10 at 22:07

A coach and a critic are two different things

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 22:26

I admire your ability to elicit an argment over the most harmless of comments. How in the world can you say coaches are not critics?

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 23:59

lou williams got pissed off at me for calling his defense and eddie jordan's coaching out on twitter. you bet your ass he pays attention to critics.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 10 at 22:00

ive been saying this guy is gone . they cant possibly keep this guy around for the season. its beyond a joke.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 10 at 22:09

There's less than 20 games left - the team has no shot at the playoffs - there's no reason to pay a third person to coach the team 20 games

Would they have to pay an interim? I mean, Tony DiLeo wasn't paid more for taking over last season, was he?

Depends if the interim is already in the organization, which he most likely would be.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 22:20

Don't know if stuff like that is made public (though I don't want DiLeo coaching in a draft where the sixers are going to have a higher than average pick - i want him scouting conference tournament games)

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Mar 10 at 23:24

I can't imagine it would be DiLeo - he's got other things on his blotter right now. My guess is it would probably be McKie, with Lynam staying around to help with the X's and O's.

I pray that it doesn't happen...but I don't know if Comcast/Snider has the stomach to roll this out for TWELVE more games.

bebopdeluxe reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 10 at 23:28

And with the VERY real potential of the Wachovia Center being a ghost town after Friday night, you could argue that Comcast CAN'T afford to let EFJ finish out the season. Letting McKie finish out the string isn't going to cost much, and a coaching change could limit the amount of empty seats.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 10 at 22:32

i understand that from a pure economic perspective it may make sense to keep him. i just think they do a huge disservice to the players to make them go through the motions for this joker. management has to hold its personel accountable for complete and utter failure. if i were management/ownership I would place a lot of value on leadership and showing the players that the organization is dedicated to winning.

who cares about 20 games... they have to pay jordan for the remainder of his contract (3 yrs?) anyway... so they at some point will pay another coach.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 10 at 22:56

Yes - but at this point in time they're already paying two coaches - mo still gets paid this year - so that's why i am convinced he gets through - it's purely fiscal - as that's how the sixers are primarily run going forward

I gotta admit, it's getting hard to really pay attention and concentrate when they're playing anymore. I find myself finding other things to do, reading something on the internet. Even when I'm at the game! Thank god for smartphones so I can multitask.

This blows.

Duracorr reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 10 at 23:18

The game got so bad in the second quarter, I fell asleep and missed the rest of it. Unfortunately, they apparently played so poorly, Comcast Spectacor may be forced to fire Jordan. Anyone promoted to caoch the team for the last 18 games will get at least some spark out of the team and as a result 5-6 extra wins. I don't want to see that now.

How do we deal with the team looking really awful versus playing hard and winning games and ruining the opportunity to get a great draft pick?

i really hope lebron plays friday. otherwise i think i may have gone to my last game of the season.

oh OKC is here soon. that's the last one. i can't take this anymore.

Duracorr reply to mike on Mar 11 at 0:01

Neither my wife nor any of my friends will even go with me to the Cavs game. It's that bad.