Bring Your Kids to the Game

JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 11:41

Wouldn't taking them to a sixers game be considered child abuse?

Not if they get a free toy.

An Andre Iguodala action figure? What is his super-power?

-Being able to break backboards not only with dunks, but also with errant jumpshots?

-Ability to bring rain with his jumper?

-The Coast-Coast Guard?

The Coast2Coast Guard... I should tweet that to AI9- if I knew how to do that...

Peter Vecsey has a coaching rumor. Nothing new really, he just "guarantees" the Sixers will be after Jay Wright.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 19 at 12:31

If we can get an Eskin guarantee it's a lock it won't happen

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 12:41

im reposting this because every time i try to post about players, no one responds. i can only wack off about our chances of getting either the 5 , 6, or 7 pick so many times. we have a team that WILL have a lottery pick. lets get some opinions about all the players talked about in our range

---------------------
Brian, after scouring the draft sites, below are the different players i see come up around the 6-9 range. we have discussed some of these names, but what about the lesser knowns. i have heard one analyst call James Anderson the best SG in the nation. Amnino, whats his deal, they make him sound like a guy with a ton of upside. Motiejunas ? Nellie has raging boner for this guy.

Cole Aldrich, C/PF, Kansas
Wes Johnson, SG/SF, Syracuse
Hassaan Whiteside, C, Mich St
Al Farouq Amino, SF, Wake Forest
Greg Monroe, C, Georgetown
Donatas Motiejunas, PF, Lithuania
Xavier Henry, SG, Kansas
Ed Davis, PF, UNC
James Anderson, SG, Oklahoma St.

Cole Aldrich, C/PF, Kansas - Wrote about him last night. I don't want him, but could live with the pick depending on what # we get.

Wes Johnson, SG/SF, Syracuse - Haven't seen much of him. Seems like a good fit for the team, but either he or AI9 would have to play the two. Good shooter. Older (22).

Hassaan Whiteside, C, Marshall - Derek was saying he's heard bad things about this kid's work ethic and attitude, which you have to consider. Seems like a defensive dynamo w/ limited offensive skills. Comps to Marcus Camby. If I'm taking a chance at #9 or 10, I might roll the dice on him.

Al Farouq Amino, SF, Wake Forest - Saw a bit of him last night, and wasn't really blown away. Seems like a good athlete, but very raw and not sure how his game is going to translate.

Greg Monroe, C, Georgetown - Talked about him last night. Don't want him.

Donatas Motiejunas, PF, Lithuania - Don't know anything about him.

Xavier Henry, SG, Kansas - I've seen him play a couple times and nothing stood out to me.

Ed Davis, PF, UNC - Don't want him.

James Anderson, SG, Oklahoma St. - Haven't seen him, but I've heard good things.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Brian on Mar 19 at 14:46

i read your stuff about aldrich. i agree for the most part. i figured you would love his defense. but i think his offense is underrated. the guy doesnt get as many touches as he should. but from what i see, when he gets the ball, im impressed. the guy has great footwork and offensive moves. i dont see what gives andrew bogut more upside than him. unless someone tells me that aldrich is really 6'8'', i will be a believer in his NBA potential.

Wes Johnson... so you are saying he is not a pure #2. then i dont want him. im just not intersted in another swing man. im tired of being told not to worry about positions. we need a friggin protypical 2-guard

whiteside.... not interested in any loser with a bad attitde. including that pssy cry baby demarcus 'loser' cousins. if i were Calipari, i would have sent that loser to the locker room when he walked out of the team huddle. as mike sigletary said , "cant win with a guy like that", "CANT DO IT"

james anderson .... plays tonight at 7:!5 against Gtech

what dont you like about ed davis ?

How many "prototypical SG's" are there in the NBA right now?

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 14:57

6 1/2

tk76 reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 15:23

Which includes...

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 16:11

Iguodala is half of one

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 15:24

i just want someone who can play SG. because we dont have 1

But who in the NBA right now fits that description? I'll start a list of "prototypical 2 guards." Guys who can shoot, have decent length and are not primarily slashers/creators and can guard their position:

Ray Allen
OJ Mayo
maybe Eric Gordon (a bit close to being a combo guard in terms of size?

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 15:59

well, maybe 'protypical' was not the best word. I want a SG that can hit a jumper and is at least 6 5''. if he can drive and score, thats great too, but not at the expense of being a very good jump shooter. kind of when brian describes greg monroe - its great that he can dribble and pass, but that doesnt matter when he cant rebound or block. Iguodala should be playing the 3. thad is a 3. lets stop drafting guys that play the 3.

OK, then add Kobe and Roy to that list but cross off either Gordon.

So we have:
Ray Allen
OJ Mayo
Roy

Any other current starting caliber NBA players qualify?

Joe Johnson
Manu
Vince Carter, when he gives a shit

You've got some role players who may fit the bill, as well. JR Smith comes to mind.

The Greek reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 16:48

jason richardson can shoot

So we are up to 7 starting quality NBA players- some of whom play SF.

And only 4 NBA players under age 32 next year.

my point is theat finding a starting quality SG that is 6"5 or over, can shoot and defend is a really rare in the NBA. Much easier to find a "scoring guard" or a swing slasher without much of a jump shot.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 17:02

rudy fernandez
james harden
kevin martin
ben gordon if you relax the height restriction

Kevin Martin fits for everything but the defense. Harden is probably up there. Gordon is too small and doesn't defend. Fernandez fits.

eddies' heady's on Mar 19 at 13:53

Question - While I haven't really got down to it and analyzed his game, could or couldn't we use a DeSean Butler? He seems like just the type of player we need to a degree, sort of like the Anderson guy from the Pokes.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 19 at 16:11

i havent seen any mock draft with this guy going in the top 10. that said, WV will likely go far in the tourny so that may help his stock. dont know much about the guy

but im curious why we need a 6'7'' PF/SF who moonlights at SG and PG. doesnt anyone just play a position these days? the guy wont a be a PF in the NBA or a SG/PG for that matter. so that makes him another SF.

The Greek reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 16:48

Brian I am with Mckie in wondering why you don't like ed davis?

Mediocre first step, not a great finisher, mediocre ballhandler, can't create at next level. Not really on the radar.

With all the hype surrounding him during the tourney last year (a lot of people saying he'd be the highest pick from UNC had he declared for the draft) I was expecting bigger things from him. All I've heard are excuses why he didn't perform. He seems weak to me, like he won't handle being a 4 in the pros. Basically, he seems like too big of a project to me. I like the rebounding and block numbers, but there's just something about a guy who stays in college with that much hoopla and doesn't dominate the next year. I'm hoping he stays in school, honestly. Want no part of him.

A skinny or undersized PF who is great at the college level at UNC...

Well I guess Jamison turned out to be good.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 17:28

it looks we named 12 players. ok, not all are perfect, but they are all pretty good players. and, these are just starters, i can sniff around benches and maybe add a few more. i dont think it can be that difficult to find something like this. unfortunately this draft is weak for SGs. unless james anderson goes nuts in the tourney , we may fall int he trap of drafting another swing man. ill cross my fingers for cole aldrich.

Ray Allen
OJ Mayo
Roy
Kobe
Joe Johnson
Vince carter
Manu ginobli
rudy fernandez
james harden
kevin martin
jr smith
jason richardson

So we need to trade for Rudy.

But I guess we sort of already knew that...

It is interesting that we can find only 1-2 players in the draft/NBA that fit a key need for the Sixers and are even potentially attainable. But maybe they can buy low on someone like Nick Young.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 17:52

Speaking of buying low - chad ford has some nice things to say about pondexter today

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to tk76 on Mar 19 at 17:59

im hoping james anderson shows he is a top 10 pick.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 18:00

I'm hoping that people stop using 2 or 3 games to discount the rest of a guys college career.

JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 18:04

For all these people who are eagles fans who are overly impressed by one or two games in march compared to an entire body of a players college career - i have two words for you

Mike

Mamula

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 18:22

john , who do you like that is projected to go in the sixers potential range? i hear you criticize guys but have not heard you make a suggestion or form an opinion. we have to take someone. who would you be happy with ?

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 18:29

Well I actually have mentioned names, long ago and i didn't complain when no one responded to it.

I'm aware that the sixers have to take seomeone, but what i'm also aware of is that after probably the fifth or sixth pick in the draft, EVERY player is more project than prospect...

I don't feel like debating something like this as no one here (except maybe derek) has access to enough information to make an informed decision anyway but everyone gets upset when they aren't agreed with...i liked aldrich at first and them ore i watched him the more i saw a lumbering poorly conditioned laterally slow white guy.

The one strength the sixers have in the past couple years is doing well in the position they draft at...I trust that Tony DiLeo will draft the best player available when the sixers pick...

I prefer Demarcus Cousins more than others but I think Evan Turner would be awesome next to iguodala.

But there's so little information available to us (and GM's it seems since according to chad ford a lot of GM's haven't even seen Whiteside play live - that's just horrible) that it's a crap shoot...

The 'best' out come for the sixers is to get the #2 pick in the draft and have to choose between Favors and Turner because Wall makes holiday a bit superfluous and i really like jrue holiday.

It's not a deep draft, so I'm counting on DiLeo to do his always stupendous job...i'm prediciting iguodala gone before the draft and HOPING the sixers will pony up 50K if they see a second rounder they want.

But your comment about anderson was what's wrong with people and the nba draft - you have an entire season (or more) of guys play to dteremine where you think you might want the sixers to draft him but one or two games is going to drastically change your mind if he does very well or very badly? That's just nonsense

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 19:01

why do you have to answer like such a snide little prick? seriously dude. i ask you a serious question and you answer like that? i know you dont speak to people like that in person. no wonder you get banned from boards and Xbox live. you speak to me like that i do to you what bleacher did to schillinger

i hear what you are saying on anderson. but the fact is that high visabability does a lot when trying to rank players amongst themselves. thats why a guy like henry starts high and then falls.,.. guy like anderson starts low and then rises. so if low visability makes anderson a 15 pick and high visibility rises him to 9 , i attribute that to lack of info. everyone knows he is a good player but he doesnt get the recognition of a top team./

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 19:10

High visibility doesn't mean high competition - in fact many of these prospects are playing crap teams in the first round with atuomatic bids and andersons big 12 conference play is probably hella more telling than a tourney game or two.

And as for why i got banned, usually it's because I don't tolerate what i see as stupidity or whining (i've not been banned from xbox live, i've never used xbox live - do they ban people?)...you write this little 'poor me' thing about how no one answered me so i have to write it again and again until someone pays attention to me - like we should feel sorry no one answered previously - maybe no one answered previously because they didn't want to at the time.

To the masses maybe - but to the folks who know - and who do it for a living I doubt it makes much of a difference...trying to evaluate players on the limited time they're seen without access to synergy or something similar and to put them on a draft board is a silly crap shoot waste of time...but here's hoping that no one on the sixers sees a guy play one or two games in the tournament and ignores the rest of his college career.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 19:23

i wrote it again because im interested in learning more about some of the players. even though you dont value other people's opinions, i do. i am a sixer fan , we are and have been out of playoff contention, so i was hoping to speak more about the draft. it is something thats prett damn important right now.

sorry you see it as whining. blog owners usually dont like people reposting the same exact thing twice, so i was explaining why i was doing it.

It's not a big deal. I typically try to respond to everything I can, if it's something that's going to take me a while to write out, I have to wait until I have a minute. Things fall through the cracks.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 19:39

. even though you dont value other people's opinions, i do

I do value the opinions of others, I just don't value them without a 'ground work' to respect them.

You want a good case in point (sorry derek) - I value the opinion of derekbodner - and anyone who knows me knows how i feel about him as a person - but that doesn't get in the way of me respecting his opinion - he knows basketball - he also has access to tons more data than anyone i know - i value his opinion...don't take it personally when i was a kid in high school i didn't just immediately respect a teacher without them earning it (Lower Merion had some crap teachers)

From your posts and comments you strike me as one of the old school types, the baseball fan who dismisses new statistics because yo ulike batting average and rbis instead of the numbers that actually help one understand the game - you remind me of dallas green - you think yo ucan see it all with your eyes which is virtually impossible, and you dismiss statistics that disprove what you think - yo uaren't the only one - but if you want to know WHY i don't value your opinion - that's why - because yo don't seem to value the advances in understanding the game that are valued by the people whose opinoins i DO respect

and it's not personal - whether i 'like' you or not has nothing to do with whether i respect your opinion.

And most people don't respect mine - and i don't really care either way about it - so i find it fascinating that i get called out on it all the time - because i couldn't give a crap if people value my opinion - i value mine and some others but not every ones

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 20:02

""because yo don't seem to value the advances in understanding the game that are valued by the people whose opinoins i DO respect""

lol, what does that mean? when did we ever have a hard core discussion on statistics. i could calculate wayne winstons adjusted +/- by hand. i understand statistics perfectly fine, and they are a great metric, but just because Iguodala has the 7th best adjusted +/-, doesnt make him the best player. so sorry if we disagreed on that in the past. science only goes so far in sports. maybe dallas green can explain that to you.

and by the way, i hate baseball.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 20:40

Whether or not you hate baseball wasn't the point, not getting the point however kind of makes the point.

And somehow I doubt you can calculate adjusted +/- but your comment is why I don't respect or value your opinion...you don't comprehend HOW to use the statistics, especially when they contradict your pre formed belief...there's a bunch of people like you here and it's why i don't post as much any more...if iguodala is 7th in adjusted +/- maybe it means he's better OVERALL than you think and you aren't watching the game properly (or you're not seeing EVERYTHING that happens all the time, because you can't)

Your comments in reply to mine validated me having no value or respect for your opinion because to me it comes from a basis of purposeful ignorance...

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 19 at 20:48

"there's a bunch of people like you here and it's why i don't post as much any more"

thats funny. because it feels like Brian gets the entire benefit from the blogs that banned you. 18,000 posts per year from one nutbag probably has a lot of clout with advertisers. i wonder how many times per week you click on the 'pokerstars' icon.

The Greek reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 19 at 21:40

I just clicked on the poker thing, lol this shits hilarious. Mggee I think the point is to treat people with respect as a human beings instead of getting them to want to bash your face in because of your shitheel comments. Just an observation!