Pamplona On Broad Street

johnrosz on Mar 20 at 15:41

If iggy continues his horrid shooting maybe they can find a way to lose this one.

Deng is overpaid- like all of the guys Iguodala's year (except Howard.) But he is young. if his health returns he can help them win games or be traded. And they have a max salary to play with this summer. These cores are good starting points:

Rose/Hinrich/JJ/Deng/Noah

or

Rose/Hinrich/Deng/Bosh/Noah

or

Rose/Hinrich/Deng/Lebron/Noah

All combinations of young, talented players who would fit well.

And all of those players have good value (if Deng returns tpo form) so you can take that core and build with future moves. Unlike some other team I know.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 20 at 17:58

In general, do you think there are more over paid, fairly paid, or under paid NBA players?

Cause I'm getting tired of people focusing on just one year of restricted free agents and saying that they're over paid while ignoring the plethora of over paid contracts that litter the NBA

I'd say if you made a list of all of worst long term deals in the NBA, the deals that happened that summer would make up the majority.

Deals like Brand, Davis, Magette, Arenas are amongst the worst, and happened 1 year before the leaguue started showing some restraint. And that does not even include the guys who were finishing their rookie contracts like Okafore and Deng.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 20 at 18:48

And ignores the bad deals that come before them as well

Rose and Noah are both returning from injury to play tonight!! Noah will only play 10 minutes, but Rose "all he can handle."

Just saw on rotowire that Rose is expected to play tonight.

I'm always shocked when the Sixers play someone they've actually beaten this season. Off the top of my head, I can't remember too many wins.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:09

It's funny when you look at the home road splits, if the sixers can remember they absolutely SUCK at the 3 they have a bunch of offensive advantages over the bulls when you look at team performance of the sixers at home than the bulls on the road.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:07

the only team I think we've beaten is the Nets right?

We swept them, just ask the marketing department.

JohnEMagee on Mar 20 at 19:10

Hey Kansas

Want to show up?

Jrue's jumper is still there.

Same starters w/ Willie at the 2.

Iguodala's jumper still isn't.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:15

As much as I love the game and enjoy watching it, I'm ready for this season to be over with. It's so disheartening to have to watch these guys and quietly pull for them to lose. Never felt like this before.

Three bad jumpers for Iguodala so far. Let's count them.

He finally went to the hole and got fouled.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:16

Think the Iguodala action figures shoot jumpers better than he does?

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:21

Boy, Thad and Lou and Rodney sure look focused on the bench.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:21

Pillsbury doughboy in the game already.

Wow, Speights and Smith in early for Sammy and EB.

Are the Sixers in a zone?

Iguodala wasn't looking for that pass. I think that should've been a dunk.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:23

Just let him have the junk Marreese. No need to make an effort you know.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:26

Speights looks like he's spent half his salary this year at Chinese buffets in south Philly. Doughboy indeed.

It's really funny watching Jason Smith try to rebound. He actually does give effort, he just simply can't do it.

I think that was Jrue's 6th board, by the way.

Damnit, I hate giving a foul when there's enough time left on the clock to get the ball back. Absolutely fucking hate it.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:32

And on Smith, why the heck we were targeting him with that pick from the Iverson trade is beyond me. We should have just kept Daequan Cook.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:35

They're both going to amount to nothing significant so who cares?

Eh, Cook can't even find the floor in Miami. Doubt either will amount to anything.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:37

But he may could have found the floor here as bad as our shooting has been the last few years.

Wasn't that the theory with Kapono?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:42

Got me. Stop man, just stop. I guess I need to start laughing at some point tonight. Now as good a time as any.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:39

Miami isn't exactly tearing up the league shooting, so i'm not sure why he'd find the floor here when he can't find it in miami

They're both insignificant

He's also a below-average shooter from three on his career. Better than what we have, but hardly a threat.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 19:33

Dre still at three and counting?

Sixers down 4 after one, and they played half the quarter w/ Soft and Softer at the 4/5.

Jrue had 6 boards, 2 assists and a block. Only took two shots though.

Jesus, Lou has no clue on the break. That time he gave it up, and Carney got the hoop, but Hinrich's back was turned, he had an open run to the rim and passed it to the one guy that was covered. Stupid.

The Bulls had lost 10 straight coming into this game, right?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:43

JohnEMagee on Mar 20 at 19:43

I'm researching the basketball statistics and I'm finding two formulas for calculating possessions....aside from the fact that one is hella easier from a DB query point of view - what's the difference and is one more accepted than the other?

I'd have to see the formulas. Did you find them online? E-mail me the links if you did.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:48

Check your email

Found it here

Cool, I'll take a look later. I don't believe you need to take anything from the opponents into account. You do the math for each, then average them. I may have done it in one formula, can't remember.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 20:01

You're worksheet uses the more complicated formula that actually uses offensive rebounding percentage * 1.07 versus a more simpler version :)

I could run them both and see how they differe - hell i might do that on your worksheet

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 20:03

Your worksheet (on average) comes out slightly above 1 possession per game higher

It's funny, Noah's missed 18 games with a lower body injury, yet he didn't gain 30 pounds.

JohnEMagee on Mar 20 at 19:44

Kansas within 1 with 42.3 to play

I'm tempted. Is Alrdich in the game?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:47

Don't see him

UNI popped a 3 - And Kansas just committed an offensive foul with 26 seconds left

Wow. First number one goes down, huh?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 20 at 19:49

And Nova choked earlier

UNM and Baylor are in games that they could lose as well

Speights and Dalembert up front. Brand didn't feel like playing tonight. Three lazy fouls in 10 minutes so far.

Nice foul by Speights there. Can't say I've ever seen something like that. Hilarious.

4 bad jumpers for Iguodala.

Does Jrue get the assist on that three to end the half? Doesn't matter, it was after the buzzer.

Alright, down by 12 heading into the third quarter. Does Chicago quickly push to 20, or do the sixers make a run?

Or they could just trade hoops for five minutes and stay at 12 down.

Willie had Jrue wide open for a three, hoisted one of his own instead. Typical Willie.

Willie just jumped out of the way of a driver. Awesome.

Holiday is going to need to assert himself a little bit when he actually touches the ball (which is rare).

Nice drive by Jrue.

Five bad jumpers by Iguodala. This one an air ball.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:36

Aannd Iggy with another airball for three.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:39

I'm surprised this many people are even at the game tonight. Does the Iguodala keepsake mean that much?

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:39

Sixers fans still think Jordan plays for the Bulls

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:41

And Tankman finally takes his cape off. JK in.

There we go 21-point deficit.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:43

Kind of funny we haven't heard any booing tonight so far.

Apathy runs both ways, I guess.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 20:44

Six for Dre now.

6 for Iguodala. That was a catch and shoot, but he didn't set his feet and drifted away from the hoop, so still counts as a bad one.

Slizeezyc on Mar 20 at 20:44

Haha. This is really bad.

Lou tightness in his lower back. Done for the game. I think he might as well sit the rest of the season and heal up for next year.

Sixers down 20.

Frontcourt of Speights, Smith and Kapono should get enough stops for us to get back in it.

Absolutely.

I believe that was Jrue's 10th board.

Sixers down by 15 heading into the fourth.

Ugh. Terrible shooting night for Jrue. 3/9. Air ball three there.

Finally heard a couple boos.

I'm actually glad he took Jrue out. Kid played 42 minutes last night, he was already at 33 or 34 tonight. That's plenty.

Nothing to be learned in this garbage time, either.

Willie at the point should be fun to watch.

Or get him back out there. Whatever.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 21:08

You know, the running of the bulls is actually more exciting than watching this mess. It really is.

Meeks hit the side of the board on that three, after bricking an attempt earlier. Looks like a solid trade.

I'd like to see Jrue get his first double-double. A reason to watch the final 2 minutes, I suppose.

Here we go, hit the FT and you've got it, Jrue.

Got it. First of many, hopefully.

They're much better at this tanking thing than I would have expected.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 21:22

Speights with a career high in boards tonight. I heard they hung unbaked cinnamon rolls from the rim as a motivational ploy.

eddies' heady's on Mar 20 at 21:24

And the booooos come raining down at the horn. Very just.

Man, these games are just so tough to watch.

Much needed loss, though. Bottom five, here we come!

Teddy Green on Mar 20 at 21:56

If we can't trade Brand or Iggy than we need to pray to the draft gods that we can land a superstar to offset their contracts. Because i noticed that no one mentions Rashard Lewis. The reasn is that Dwight Howard is so dominant that he makes us overlook that terrible contract.

Lewis' terrible deal...

Tom Moore on Mar 20 at 22:34

Brand on his limited role Saturday (tied a season-low two points in 17 minutes): "I guess (it was) a little foul trouble or something (he had four personals). Just (Friday) night I had 17 in the first half in a game late in the season. Whenever the opportunity knocks and I get out there, I’m going to do what I need to do. It’s not my call. I’m not saying, ‘Hey, let me play 17 minutes.’ It’s maybe medical with someone else, but I’m ready."

Jordan said Brand "just didn't have it tonight."

Tom Moore on Mar 20 at 23:00

Iguodala: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We should be really strong after this one."

Tom Moore on Mar 21 at 0:28

Jordan: "We just didn’t seem to have the energy tonight. We just didn’t have it. They were quicker and faster than we were."

I wasn't sure if they had truly packed it in before tonight. But there really were no signs of life out there.

BTW- Jrue hits his jumpers when he has his legs. Once he is on the floor 20+ minutes he loses his range. I assume that will improve with more reps.

sooooo who wants to scrounge up 5 "new or gently used" children's books and tix to Monday night's game so they can meet Jrue after the game?

Alvin reply to das411 on Mar 21 at 5:35

For anyone who does meet him please let him know that despite this pathetic season he has been a ray of light and to keep his chin up and play hard cause he is going to be a really good player

eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 14:32

That Iguodala quote is funny, in a way. If you're already playing like you're killed, how the hell can you become stronger? I mean, he's mailed it in as much, if not more, than anyone.

Are we really seeing Dre's and the rest of the team's true colors shining through at this point? Like that saying goes, that the character of a man is not measured by adversity but how he reacts to it.

These guys have been called many things by me and others this year, but aren't they really just holding true to form as a collection of pussies (as stated by another), as no pride, no heart players (as stated by me), and as spoiled-type rich brats (me again)?

To go out there and literally rob the fans paying your damn salary and literally rob the game of the respect it deserves, you have to be labeled a bunch of losers don't you?

It sickens me to no end to have to watch these guys trot themselves out there like it's a form of punishment or something. You're making millions of dollars, playing in the best league in the world, playing a game that can be a beauty of art when played with just a little passion, yet you come out there like you just left the principal's office and feel he placed you in I.S.S. unjustly? What the hell is that?

They can't ship these excuses for professionals out of here fast enough for me. To be fair, Jrue doesn't seem to have caught the virus that the rest have, maybe Sam too and some of the bench guys that know every minute is their chance to still prove themselves to the rest of the league.

The rest of the guys? Good riddance and I'm sure you won't forget to cash your checks. Especially our purported 'stars' and 'leaders' (and I use those terms very loosely) - Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand.

Duracorr reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 16:13

I am having trouble with the hypocrisy. Just about everybody says the team needs to lose all their games, yet some continue to criticize the coach who is doing his best to lose all the games and Iguodala who through shot selection is doing his best as well. While is is possible Jordan really doesn't know what he is doing do you think AI9 does not know he is a poor 3pt shooter? He's the player affected the least by a poor season. He already has a big long-term contract and has been named to the national team. He would benefit as much or more than anyone if the Sixers land a top 5 draft pick to share the load. Give him a break. Blame his poor performance on the fact that he and the others have given up on the EJ "Plan" and give the guy a break for delivering what we say we want - more ping-pong balls.

eddies' heady's reply to Duracorr on Mar 21 at 17:13

You can't believe the last three sentences you wrote can you?

Let's deal in reality here. Give him a friggin' break? A break for what? You speak as if he just started frequently jacking three's because the franchise is in a 'tank' mode, an abstract one at that. You seem to assume he knowingly realizes he sucks at perimeter shooting, and shooting in general, so he's purposely firing away to help the fans goal, or, to get himself some help? Come on. How do you explain his dismalness from deep all year before the, as you say, 'giving up on the EJ plan'?

And let's let reality set in again when considering this draft and the sought after high pick. This draft can arguably be labeled the absolute weakest in many years, so as much as you or me want to claim exuberance over this possible team/game changer, that player doesn't exist in the very year we may end up with a higher pick - with my emphasis being on team and game changer.

Wouldn't that be the Sixers luck? A shitty squad, resulting in an even crappier season, yet no franchise-like players to be chosen.

You mention hypocrisy. Do I want us to get the best possible chance at a higher pick? Sure. Do I quietly want us to lose? As quietly as I can say, sure.

But the caveat is, would I rather see our guys show some mettle and valor, first as men, second as players? You damn right. Would I want to see our guys have some pride and heart and go out and exude some competitive spirit? Damn skippy I would. Even if it meant we win and screw up the possible higher pick? Hell yeah, to me.

It's only my opinion of course, but if others don't think these stretches of games to finish this year out are telling about the players we have, in a negative light at that, then all I can say is what's done in the dark will come to the light. And we all can agree, that this is surely the darkness we are in and seeing at the moment.

What was that publicized saying the other year - you can't put lipstick on a pig. You can dress these guys up or excuse them any way you can think of, but they are what they are and they are allowing us all an intimate peek - even if it's in the darkest hour.

Duracorr reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 17:31

Agree in principle. I've never favored "tanking", because the odds of it helping are poor. However, if you believe we have the nucleus of a decent team and need to add one top player to be competitive for a top 4 finish in the the eastern conference, then it could work. If you believe we have only 1 or 2 players who are "keepers" then tanking will get you started, but it will take at least 4 bad seasons to build a core. I believe the former. I wish AI9 and EB were injured and were just "Out" for the rest of the season. But with healthy players, I really don't know how to do it aside from depending on blind luck to get into the top 3 with a very small chance. I would have been happier to see them earn the 7th or 8th playoff birth and am appalled at the job Jordan did to take a .500 team down to this level. Now that we are out of the playoff picture, we might as well be as bad as possible. And look for a new coach (and GM?) to add a player clean up the mess for next year.

eddies' heady's reply to Duracorr on Mar 21 at 18:31

While I respect your belief in the former, that is where we differ. Going on more than this season alone, I am of the latter - and sadly, by a long shot. There are only a few "keepers" out of this troop, of which are surely debateable but that's for another day.

And I disagree wholeheartedly on the '4 bad seasons to build a core'. That's where a good ass GM comes in, and I mean a shrewd one. It was polarizing for sure, but Ed could have started it with the couple of publicized deals this past deadline. Hell, you've got to start somewhere. (speaking as if the belief is we don't have many 'keepers' to begin formation of a team)

Which leads me to even deeper frustration. Lost amongst all this EJ-tenure-is-over hype, is that Big Ed is just coasting by, under the radar of sorts. But is he? Fagan mentioned that he was being 'evaluated' too. So who knows?

I do know this - I want his behind shipped right out the door, preferably in front of, but certainly after EJ goes. He's done nothing but make messes since he stepped foot in the door. EJ will go down in history as the debacle of all debacles in memoirs of this team; however, Stefanski was the real culprit. And the day he, in fact, goes, we will be a much better franchise for it.

The vision he had for this team is blurred, yet his own vision is blurred by it. He doesn't want to let go; so he needs to be let go. I got the stamp, if they'll just deliver.

Duracorr reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 18:43

I mostly agree about Stefanski. Perhaps the reason Jordan has not been fired already is because Comcast Spectacor does not want ES selecting the new coach. I'm not 100% of the opinion ES must go. I agreed with the Brand signing. It has gone horribly wrong, but I agreed at the time. Brand was the best free agent available and ES and ES would have been pounded by the fans, me included, if they had not made a move when they had the chance. He overpaid for AI9 by 10-15 million over the 6 years, but I'm not sure how significant $2m per year really is.

eddies' heady's reply to Duracorr on Mar 21 at 19:17

While respected, I find it dumbfounding that some would not be fully on-board with dumping Stefanski. It only took him 2 1/2 years (really only 1 if you take away his EJ whiff) to take this team from an up-and-comer to well, nothing left but an up-and-comer, because when you're at the bottom there's nowhere to go but up.

Hindsight cannot go uncovered in these types of jobs. Did I like the Brand signing too? At the time, sure. But did I have concerns or questions about it also? Yes. Coming off that type of injury and mostly not making a difference on a consistent loser, was plenty red flag for me.

The Iguodala contract circumstances can be critiqued for days. Kind of silly to bid against yourself, no matter the business. Ed allowed himself to be swindled on that one.

But apparently what's lost on those deals individually, is the fact that, when looking back, they seemed to be done without any foresight. You couldn't possibly believe that the culmination of those deals was going to put you on the elite plateau. So how were you going to add, or even keep, if there are those worth keeping? Especially considering how difficult it is to shuffle.

He's shown me enough to be full. I'm bloated.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 18:29

The same people are apoligists for the dreadful play of Elton Brand. Early on everyone accused EJ of being the reason why Elton is average at best. Why do we have reservations about criticizing multi-millionaires when they so grossly underperform? I don't care if Brand is a good guy, hes been so detrimental to the progress of this franchise its astounding. By the same token, I would like to say that Eddie Jordan is by far the worst coach i've seen in my lifetime and I don't wish to absolve him of blame for this mess.

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Mar 21 at 19:32

Isn't it truly laughable at all the uproar that was made over EJ demoting him earlier in the year, when he might have known what we all now see all along?

As for those with reservations on criticisms, fans tend to hold tight to individual players rather than overall team - and I mean the truest sense of the word team and all that it entails.

Ikeepnotmakinganaccount on Mar 21 at 16:10

2 Questions.

Jrue's developed into a 40%+ threat from the 3 point line and it's nice to see a player that shoot it from long range, but does anyone know if anyone helped him?Obviously, he put in a lot of effort, but did Eddie Jordan actually do something beneficial and develop him? Or was it Aaron McKie? Or did he just continually practice and practice to no end to get it?

And question 2 *might be frustrating* But, since 2005, no #1 worst record team has gotten the #1 pick and it has been the 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 9th worst record teams. Let's say that the 76ers somehow get the #1 pick and we go BPA (as we should) and draft John Wall. Chances are, we're probably going to trade Jrue Holiday, unless the new coach has some special 2 PG scheme worked out. What's Jrue's value? Could he be worth a high lotto pick or probably a late lottery pick?

Per reports, Jrue works with McKie.

And if we win the lottery we Draft Wall and keep Jrue for at least a year. It will help Wall to be able to share PG responsibilities his Rookie year- much like Rose is helped playing next to Hinrich, and Wall plays next to Bledsoe (another PG.)

Also, Jrue will increase his value if he shows he can be a PG on a more successful team. I'm not sure his value is above a #12 pick right now (although he probably could net another good young player.) Certainly Jrue has nowhere near the value of a guy like Harris.

Duracorr reply to tk76 on Mar 21 at 18:51

While we are dreaming, why would a Holiday/Wall back court be a problem? They can both shoot, both pass and both defend. That works for me. To that, you add AI/Thad at SF. I'd resign SD for less money then play Speights at PF with SD at center. Then we'd have Thad, Lou, Carney on the outside and Brand and Mid-level FA up front. We might be competitive.

eddies' heady's reply to Duracorr on Mar 21 at 19:19

"We might be competitive."

I admire the hope, I really do.

Oh shit, I forgot, it was just dreaming.

Duracorr reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 21 at 19:23

Just dreaming.

Mike P. reply to Duracorr on Mar 21 at 19:58

They are both 6'4 and long. We'd have a "small" backcourt, but not Allen Iverson and Eric Snow small.

Not Lou and AI small?

Mike P. reply to tk76 on Mar 21 at 21:07

I totally forgot that was actually our backcourt for a period this season.

Holy Moley.

its a little depressing that brian couldnt even do a write up for this game. this team has sapped the life out of the most dedicated fans. i never thought this team could sink this low. even if winning wouldnt hurt our draft odds, id find it hard to root for this franchise. i am just embarrassed to be a sixers fan right now. embarrassed.

My wrap is coming tonight. I was tired last night and it was too beautiful out today to spend any time obsessing over the Sixers. My apologies, took a Sunday off.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Mar 21 at 21:12

Sunday off? We need something to read. Even if it is a horror story.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 21 at 21:28

PACERS and KINGS WIN !!!!
PACERS and KINGS WIN !!!!
PACERS and KINGS WIN !!!!

and detroit has the pacers and Nets in their next two. Sacremento also has Nets coming up this week and face timberwolves next week ftw. Kings also face Pacers so 1 of those 2 will be gtd a win.

This was from David Thorpe on ESPN this week if anyone missed it-

An NBA executive recently messaged me this: "Evans is going to be the best guard in this draft, but Holiday is going to be the best point guard." Curry, Lawson, Collison and Jennings all will have something to say about that, but Holiday is certainly proving to be worth the No. 17 pick despite his average college credentials.

The biggest knock on Holiday coming out of UCLA was that he didn't shoot well. That is no longer in question, thanks to his shooting better than 41 percent from 3 this season. March has been his best shooting month -- he's hit 19 of 34 3s and 48 of 96 shots in total -- and scoring month (13.9 ppg).

His recent performance in a win over Toronto (21 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists) was his best game overall. But remember, offensive numbers alone will never tell the full story with Holiday. Unlike many of the other rookie point guards in the league, Holiday is an outstanding defender. And he's still younger than many of the freshmen playing in the NCAA tournament this week.