An Inopportune Win

Love your thoughts. What do you mean by calling Jason "Clumsy" Smith an alligator? I like alligators and consider that an insult to them!

JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 10:40

Wouldn't be so bad if the kings hadn't choked last night.

Alligator Arms - primarily a football term - but

thank you!!! perfect description for Smith.

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 12:03

Todd Pinkston, Bobby Abreu, and now Jason Smith.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 12:06

One of these things is not like the other - one of these things just doesn't belong.

Though bobby abreu hate is a good indicator

Kind of like being pro reggie evans

Abreu does have alligator arms in the outfield, especially when he's within 20 feet of a wall. He's a good player, but the alligator arms are for real.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 12:41

And yet one of the best plate approaches of his generation and totally ignored by most phillie fans for the same reason they love reggie evans (and aaron rowand)

Abreu belongs in a group with guys like Donovan McNabb and Andre Iguodala...not never wases like Pinkson and Smith - for any reason - yet another Philadelphia great who isn't appreciated by the fan base due primarily to the ignorance of understanding and the influence of putzes like howard eskin

ABREU PADS HIS DOUBLES

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 12:50

I like Bobby Abreu, he was a very good player that hit well and had a great eye at the plate. He just would stop every time if a ball got hit close to the wall. Hence the alligator arms line fitting.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 12:51

It would have been much better if he ran into the wall, broke his nose, and missed most of a season...then maybe phillies fans would have appreciated him....but then again, it's a common theme. Abreu, McNabb, Iguodala....the mount rushmore for the 2000s of the under appreciated

There's a happy medium where guys actually make catches within 10 feet of a wall without slamming into it headfirst. The guy was afraid of the wall, he had alligator arms, that's just a fact.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 12:58

Yet was more productive in his career at his job than todd pinkston or jason smith could ever hope to be (not to mention the 'importance' of defense is less in baseball than most sports)

Insulting Abreu retroactively is just something Phillies 'fans' seem to enjoy doing...you know, like booing santa or starting fights :)

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:03

I was just comparing the alligator arms in their respective games, not the players themselves. Obviously Pinkston would be worse at his job that Abreu if he gets characterized as someone with alligator arms, his job was to catch the football.

I enjoy making fun of Abreu's fielding. Sue me.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 13:04

Pinkston was worse in all areas of his job than Abreu...period.

You enjoy making fun of abreu, i enjoy making fun of ignorance

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:12

I think you are blaming typical Philadelphia stereotypes on people who really don't deserve them. Because I put in a joking format that Abreu had alligator arms, which is true, I:

1. Hate McNabb even though he's been the franchise's best QB ever.
2. Thought Rowand was smart for getting injured by trying to make every catch ever and killing himself doing it.
3. Said Todd Pinkston or Jason Smith are just as bad as Bobby Abreu (Who was and still is a great cog in a lineup) Give me a break.

Did I boo Santa too? As you would say "Ignorance runs both ways."

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 12:59

Abreu was a pretty great on-base guy, but the team didn't exactly go up in flames once he left. Which isn't to rehash the tired "he was bad for team chemistry" attacks, just to say that he wasn't THAT valuable.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 25 at 13:00

Not even getting into it - but your post hoc ergo propter hoc argument is kind of silly

If the phillies make the world series again this year without cliff lee does that mean it doesn't matter if he was on the roster or not?

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 22:01

Abreu refused to bat leadoff when Bowa asked him to do so. For that, and for that only I don't like him

Great pic too Brian. What an awesome play by Jrue dishing it to Sammy no look for a flush. I usually don't like getting up in the air to make a pass, but you could tell he knew what he was going to do before he rose up like he was gonna try and lay it in.

There's a little writeup on Jrue here-

Little bit of a backhanded compliment from Iguodala there? Is it possible that he's in love with Jrue becoming a dominant player on the team. He does have moments when he yells at him for stuff, but it could be that he's trying to teach the rook a thing or two. I hope it's that, because he was giddy getting lobs and assists from Jrue last night.

Rich reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 12:12

I meant to say 'not in love' in the post above.

That quote was actually from maybe a month ago. I didn't really read anything into it.

I'd really love to see what this team can do with a big who can catch and finish in traffic regularly. Take a look at Dalembert's line for the past three games, he's been basically spoonfed the easiest looks you can imagine by both Jrue and Iguodala. I'm thinking a guy like Favors could earn a living being on the receiving end of those passes.

JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:01

So when does dontboothebirds give me an article about the pending QB trade in phill :)

I need to clone myself, or find someone who feels like writing it.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 13:06

Damn, that's what i was worried about...i need an eagles blog to read and bgn doesn't do it for me.

JohnEMagee reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:19

I thought this upcoming season was an 'uncapped' year in the NFL?

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:24

Yeah it is, but I heard on the radio a couple of different times that Kolb has no real leverage to lean on if he would want to walk after this year. My points were basically predicated on Kolb leaving maybe if he wanted to after this year. I was under the impression he would have to be franchised, but otherwise he's be unrestricted. The Eagles have a lot of leverage for some reason I'm forgetting now.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 13:27

I don't think 2012 will be uncapped (nor do i think there will be a shut down) - I think the NFL and players are smart enough to compromise (are you listening NBA) on something that works for both sides...even if both sides get what they want.

The Kevin Kolb love (from day one for many) has never made sense to me - and limited reps against weak defenses (sorry even with a super bowl win, the saints had a weak ass defense ;) ) don't make me think he's ready to take the reins or better than McNabb.

McNabb is probably the best QB the eagles have had in the past 40 years or so and the fans are ready to discard him (and have been for years), much like similar fans were thrilled to be rid of Abreu (and rid of Iguodala).

I personally hope that McNabb goes on to win somewhere else and Kolb falls flat on his face...maybe the fans will then learn something

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 13:32

Here are my thoughts. I basically don't think they can keep three guys. I like Kolb though and think he will be a player. If we can win a SB (which I don't think is possible with the defense right now), keep McNabb. I just think there's so much bad blood between him and the city which kind of puts a black cloud over the team. Kolb's not a sure thing, but I think we should see what we have if an SB is not realistic. It's a little rough and many have mistakes, but I had fun doing it-

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Mar 25 at 13:36

Which is mostly the city (fans) faults for being idiotic in my opinion...booing him on draft day, carrying that 'bad pick' thing through his entire career plus the whole subtle racism that runs through phildlephia sports (in my opinion) spoon fed and raised into a frenzy by douches like eskin.

This is the bad rep Philadlephia fans have to learn to shed - it's on McNabb, it was on Abreu, and it's on Iguodala now as well (making this sixer relevant :) )

If the eagles make this move motivated by 'fan hatred' more than best football move it's even more disappointing.

If the defense is the problem i'm wondering why so many people blame mcnabb for everything?

jkay reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 19:58

i firmly agree with you about the similarity between those 3 players. Philly fans are just stubborn and overzealous at times. guess thats what keeps 'em buying bird season tickets at those insane prices....but racism?
I always thought McNabb has been a class act for most of his stay, and he has been judged unfairly, but is'nt racism reading too much into their banter?

Rich reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 13:15

I did one on Recliner GM about the QB situation a few weeks ago, but I didn't look at some of the cap stuff with Kolb and some of the info is misleading if not wrong. I'm not smart enough to know all the parts of the salary cap.

On a basketball-related note, Thorpe says Holiday should pattern his game after Deron Williams.

Not a bad idea.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 13:32

Question

Is it a bad idea for any point guard to pattern his game after Deron Williams?:)

I'm really getting irritated with ESPN this past week - i click on links and all i get is article title and nothing else - with no errors - is anyone else having this problem?

It's a bad idea if you can't play a physical game at the point, I suppose.

steve reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 14:16

ey dave. What are your likes and dislikes about Jrue Holiday from the sixers?
David Thorpe
(12:43 PM)

I like his size and disposition to defend and bang. I'd like him to be more fiery.

He seems pretty fiery to me.

I had the same thought.

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 14:12

Young is out for tomorrow and Williams a game-time decision.

Jordan Thursday on the win in Milwaukee: "I like to give my guys credit. There were some pundits said it was just a letdown by Milwaukee. … To give Bogut eight shots and limit Salmons to what he did (2-for-12 shooting) is credit to what we did. Our bench did a great job against a veteran bench that’s been playing well. I thought we just put everything together and made shots. When we make shots, it juices everything else up."

JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 14:14

When we make shots, it juices everything else up."

Ok - stuff like this needs to stop - comments like this - calling shots 'wet'

Just make it stop already

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 14:23

Jordan on Kapono starting: "It took him a couple games to get comfortable with it, get his legs under him and feel confident. He just let it all loose. I don’t want to say he didn’t have confidence before. Being around basketball, even for a veteran like himself, you just have to get a little comfort zone with a new role. He came out pretty good with it. We’ve always liked his help defense. Individually, they may go at him a little bit, but he gives great effort."

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 14:24

Jordan on the improved defense: "What we look at as coaches, we see less weak links in the chain and more consistency. We understand rotations a little bit more. Still, there’s going to be breakdowns, there’s going to be times where we’re just not physically big enough or tough enough to box a guy out. But we see improvement. We really do. You look at the Orlando game. They made so many 3s, but that’s what they do."

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 14:30

Jordan on criticizing "pundits" who had said he lost the locker room: "I can always say that after wins; I can’t say it after losses. It’s just been out there that the players don’t believe in our philosophies. It’s the furthest thing from the truth. We played zone. I think our zone stymied them a little bit. I just take offense when people say they were due for a letdown. OK, that may be. But our guys played hard and they had a passion to follow the philosophies. We see improvement in the defensive system. It all worked out."

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 14:42

Jordan on he and his players not getting credit when things go well: "That's life in the big leagues."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 15:19

Does Mr Coach now what 'just one game' means or 'small sample size' or how to determine winning percentage?

It's been a god awful season - and he's made so many mistakes he's now whining about credit?

The only thing that should happen about last night is that Skiles should be embarassed he was out coached by the main character from I AM SAM

The Greek on Mar 25 at 15:33

What about Stan Vangundy, would anyone want that guy after he gets fired this offseason for losing touch of his team? (unless they go the way of course)

SVG seems like one of those know it all sloths that think that they know everything about everything.

This guy social skills are just terrible, I mean why else would his team fire him after what he has done in Miami and Orlando? Getting to the finals might have saved his job last year, losing in the finals this season might be the death nail for him.

I don't want him but would the Sixers?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 25 at 15:39

Why hire SVG when they could get you for 1/10 the price?

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 25 at 15:43

lol one sloth defending the other!

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Mar 25 at 17:14

Actually if you thought i was defending SVG you're only worth 1/20 the price

SVG kind of falls in the same category as Skiles. Really demanding head coach who can lose his teams if things aren't going well on the floor.

He was fire in Miami because Riley coaches teams that have a shot at the title. I don't think firing SVG had anything to do with SVG's work as the coach. And he hasn't been fired from Orlando yet, so I'm not sure how you can make any judgment on him being canned when he hasn't.

I'd take him. He'd be a huge upgrade over any coach we've had since LB. I'd be kind of interested to see what he'd do w/ a team that couldn't shoot the three.

The Greek reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 15:58

He's having problems with Lewis right now.

I remember last season that Dwight Howard told him that he was sucking the fun out of the game. I completely agree that if he does get fired it won't be because of his coaching, I mean Riley did screw him in Miami.

I like Skiles a lot more. I see Skiles as fiery and SVG as whiny.

I see both of them as solid defensive coaches, which is really all I care about. Fiery and whiny don't mean much to me.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 17:14

Matt Barnes was also bitching about last night

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 15:55

Kapono on starting and getting regular minutes again: "It makes you feel good as a player, obviously, having a rhythm, consistent playing time coming your way. It’s been good for me. I’m glad I’m back out on the floor. That’s what I like to do – play basketball."

on not playing in January and February: "It’s a timing thing, a rhythm thing. Obviously, when you’re playing short minutes every once in a while – I think I DNP’d probably 20 times (during that stretch) – I had to revert back to my first (NBA) year. How to stay ready, how to mentally focus, lock that stuff out and come in early and try to get your shots up. Try to simulate games as much as you can in practice. You’ve just got to be ready."

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:00

He seems to be working well with Jrue, Tom could you get Kapono to make some comments on Jrue's game? I mean we have nothing else to get excited about besides this kid, who is just getting better every day.

Jrue Holliday is a lock for first team all nba defense in the future, does anyone disagree?

The Greek on Mar 25 at 16:08

Brian if there was a redraft today, where do you think Jrue would be ranked?

1 Griffin
2 Evans
3 curry
4 Jrue?

Yeah, I'm not going down this road. Still kicking myself for making that argument with Thad. Let's just give the kid time. I like what I've seen so far.

The Greek reply to Brian on Mar 25 at 16:57

I still believe in Thad, it would be nice if they hire a good coach for once to squeeze all of the potential out of him.

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:12

Kapono on fellow former UCLA player Holiday saying that Kapono making shots early in Wednesday's game made it easier: "That’s a kind statement by Jrue (smiling). He’s a loyal guy. I appreciate it. It’s good. Last night’s game was a classic case of everyone out there playing free and attacking. We weren’t out there stagnant. If we didn’t make the right play, no one really pouted."

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:16

Thanks Tom, I wonder who was the one doing the pouting in past losses?

Tom Moore reply to The Greek on Mar 25 at 16:29

It's a mystery to me ...

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:27

Thanks Tom, I wonder who was the one doing the pouting in past losses?

The Greek reply to The Greek on Mar 25 at 16:28

sorry about the double post I accidently hit refresh.

Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:44

Kapono: "It’s a great locker room, a great set of players. It’s a very talented group. Everyone wants to work. Everyone wants to learn. It’s just been hard this year. We can’t really pinpoint the reasons why we haven’t been as good as we should’ve. We’ve got 10 games left and we’re focused on all 10. There’s no quit in this team."

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 25 at 16:46

Thanks again Tom. This guy must have majored in the Derek Jeter School of answering questions in a politically correct manner.