Hotlanta @ the Wach

JohnEMagee on Mar 26 at 17:19

Atlanta needs to finish at least one game ahead of the celtics, because in case of a tie, it's not H2H but division winner first - so Atlantas season sweep over Boston means nothing...which is stupid that boston benefits from being in the worst division in the nba this year?

(Or at least tied for worst)

teddy green on Mar 26 at 17:26

Here's what a Hawk writer says in comparing their GM to ours...

HAWKS VS. SIXERS

I’ll never forget Mike Woodson talking before the season began. “You don’t want to go the other way”, he said, in reference to team progress. I think we can safely say that the Hawks didn’t “go the other way” in regard to team growth, at least in the regular season. The Philadelphia 76ers are a different story altogether. I wonder if they regret their fake wooing of Josh Smith now? Whatever you may think of Rick Sund, be thankful you don’t have Ed Stefanski. He fired the coach, hired another, spent $82 million on the part-time (and vastly underachieving) Elton Brand, and another $57 million on Andre Iguodala, in an attempt to leap-frog teams like the Atlanta Hawks. Instead, the Sixers regressed to 25 wins (so far) this season and have been soundly spanked by the Hawks by an average of about 14 ppg. No one can blame Iguodala, a jack of all trades who fills the stat sheet nicely. But something tells me Stefanski could be looking for a job this summer. If nothing else, perhaps the Sixers give him another year, as they can at least hope for a nice placement in the NBA draft lottery in June.

eddies' heady's reply to teddy green on Mar 26 at 22:31

Sounds exactly like me last Sunday. Exactly....

"Last I heard, Lou was a game-time decision. If he plays it should be interesting to see him going up against the guy that is probably his best-case scenario, Jamal Crawford."

that just made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. I hate crawford.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 26 at 22:36

I love him. And called out Stefanski for not pursuing him last summer considering what 'they' gave up for him last summer. I wanted us to get him before he left CHI.

He's the quintessential.

Brian I have a question. I'm arguing with my friend right now and we are talking about where Jrue ranks defensively among NBA PG's. I consider Jrue to be already elite at the defensive end for his position, but so far he's said Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Devon Harris, Kirk Hinrich, Baron Davis, Westbrook, Jason Kidd, and Billups.

I think Jrue is elite in the company of Rondo, Hinrich, and Kidd, but that's just me. I'm curious as to what others feel

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:00

Young and Williams are both out tonight. Young said he hopes to be back "next week or the week after."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:02

Young should probably come back in 3-4 weeks

any luck in finding ou what the trainers/docs have said to igoudala about his foot?

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 26 at 18:08

from what i've heard in previous cases of plantar fasciitis, it really isn't something that can be repaired surgically or whatnot, the only remedy is just rest. And you don't really make it worse by playing on it, it just hurts like a b****. So it's really up to the player I think in this case and what his threshold for pain is. Doctors don't really have much of a say in this.... unfortunately.

correct me if i'm wrong, any doctors out there.

JohnEMagee reply to Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 18:10

Well you don't make it better by walking on it - trust me i had it - it sucks even if you aren't a professional athlete...but it also changes the way you do other motions and could possible lead to other injuries if you're 'moving funny' (it also explains why his shooting percentage has gone to hell already)

It's not worth getting into it - but I see no gain in him playing if he isn't 100% healthy - especially since the season i lost

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 26 at 18:47

well i won't disagree with you there. but it's gonna take a lot more than that to convince an athlete to stop competing.

if i knew i could get my crappy boss fired, i'd want to be a part of it too =P

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 26 at 18:18

Didn't see Dr. McPhilemy (team physician) yet. Am in the press room now and I don't see him. Will keep looking.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:59

HIs last name is awful - i first saw it as mcphlemy - pronounced like phlegm

Otherwise, sometime in late October :)

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:07

Jordan pregame on Holiday: "He's got a terrific demeanor. He sees -- we saw it back in training camp -- he sees everything in the offense, the way he dimes Samuel and dishes and draws and kicks and finishes at the rim and pulls up. He's got the whole package. He's got the whole package at both ends. He's going to be good for a long time if he just stays on the right course."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:08

Training camp? When he treated Jrue like garbage and made asinine statements and excuses for not playing him.

Dude, Stefanski loves brace face cause brace face trys to spin better than he does.

Jrue will stay on the right course - too bad brace face won't be around to see it (or break it)

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 18:57

I asked Jordan pregame about Kapono saying the players were "loose" for Wednesday's win after they had been eliminated from the playoff race two days earlier. "I didn't even know we were eliminated," said Jordan on Friday.

I had asked Jordan Tuesday if he planned to do anything different now that the Sixers can't make the playoffs. "No. It doesn't change anything. We want to be competitive."

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 19:09

Speights starting for Dalembert. Coach's decision. Told Jordan will tell us why after the game.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 19:20

76ers starting Marreese Speights for Samuel Dalembert. Coach's decision to be explained after the game.

ATL broadcast just said Sammy is a late scratch. Didn't say why? Has zumoff said why he's out anybody?

we should get smnoked in this game. i hope the fans at the game boo the lights out cause thats what im doing at the rest of the games im going to. this is rediculous stefanski should be tared and feathered and ran out of town jordo the joke can sink with the ship

i hope i dont see that krapono fan club again this game that is beyond rediculous hopefully them and krapono will be gone next season

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:35

willie green running the break is a thing of beauty (sarcasm)

if you have the ball and there are two guys running with you, take the ball to the middle. Willie of course shades left, forcing Iguodala to run through the paint and get in the way of his other teammate. Then Willie hoists up a contested jumper. It went in, but it was a horrible sequence.

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:43

horrible box out on that free throw by Jason Smith. Dalembert ended up with the rebound, but he was lucky Mo Evans has hands of stone.

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:45

Meeks spends half the shot clock running a 2-man game with Jason Smith (lol) and ends up putting up an airball 3-pointer with the shot clock winding down. crowd is not amused.

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:48

hawks can't hit the broad side of a barn. doesn't bode well.

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:48

nice pass by sammy finding jason smith down the middle. and-1

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 19:50

willie green must have some sort of record for number of times he's fouled three point shooters.

Monta Ellis said he was the second best player in the league the other day, better than LeBron:

While Rolling Stone recently declared Kevin Durant better than Kobe Bryant, Warriors guard Monta Ellis has his own opinion on who should be ranked as the NBA’s three best players.

“[Three] I’m going to say LeBron James,” Ellis said recently. “He can do it all, pass, score, defend, block shots. No. 2, I would have to say, me. I can do a whole lot of things: defend, score, make passes, do whatever I need to do.

“No. 1, I’d say Kobe Bryant. There isn’t one player that can stop Kobe one-on-one. He has a lot of stuff. He can defend. And of course, he won four championships.”

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 26 at 20:31

Monta Ellis understanding of what a great player is is obviously limited by being an idiot

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 20:46

iguodala more than made up for that bad pass didn't he? damn.

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 20:54

80-75 Sixers leading into the 4th. C'mon.... close loss please!

my thoughts exactly

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 20:57

jason smith got a contested rebound!!!

Court_visioN on Mar 26 at 21:12

goodbye john wall... goodbye evan turner... goodbye derrick favors. it was nice dreaming of you in a sixer uniform.

Iggy is one dime away from a triple double

Slizeezyc on Mar 26 at 21:23

Jrue and Iggy really screwing over lotto chances.

bdownbear on Mar 26 at 21:26

Looks like we're out of the top 5. Now we have to pray to get to top 3. David Stern plzzzzzzzzz award us.

Slizeezyc on Mar 26 at 21:30

Good for Jrue and Iggy, bad for Sixers.

bdownbear on Mar 26 at 21:31

Jrue-"Coach is really coaching this team." LMFAO!!! After the game with Jamie Maggio.

bdownbear on Mar 26 at 21:33

*Jrue-"Coach is *actually coaching this team." LMFAO!!! After the game with Jamie Maggio. Sorry I think thats what he said.

Goddammit Jrue!

You can beast but don't get the W's! Ugh, I can't be mad at someone with such a dynamite smile.

I can't believe we beat the Hawks and Bucks for a 2 game win streak with WTF players on the line.

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 22:43

Brand: "This is not a fluke. It is disappointing because we could’ve played like that the entire season."

eddies' heady's on Mar 26 at 22:44

But just off the fly - screw these guys....really.

they want to show some grit and determination and mettle and most importantly passion and fun? but where was this crap in game 21, game 39, game 46, game 57? not literally just figuratively....

winning vs two playoff teams??? pretty typical if i think about it....i mean, they have 'frustrated' me in 'every' way this year....

just rub it in will ya?!! arrrggghhhh

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 26 at 23:36

Wow - just utterly wow

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 22:47

Jordan: "We’ve got to give our guys more respect. They said the win in Milwaukee was because they were down and flat and they were due. That’s disrespectful to out players. I don’t care what they say about me — that’s fine — but don’t talk that way about professional players that lay their bodies on the line and come to work every day. It takes time to get it together. It’s a credit to our professionalism and the character in our locker room."

Tom Moore on Mar 26 at 22:50

“We’re playing better,” said Jason Kapono. “We have a confident swagger about us. I don’t know what changed that. Guys are out there playing free and confident and we’re closing out games. For some reason, we’re playing better in the fourth (quarter) the last week or two.”

Well if we are going to pick in that 6-10 range what does everyone think now?

Donatas Motiejunas? Xavier Henry? Hassan Whiteside?

If we get Henry we can call him Professor X. I'd like to get a SG to put next to Jrue so Iggy can move to the SF and we can try and deal Young and Lou.

eddies' heady's reply to Mike P. on Mar 26 at 23:00

I'd like to move Iguodala with those too. And I do want a good 'shooting' guard in the worst way. Although I do like Henry, but not more than Avery Bradley.

But big men are rare, at least those that can change the game on both ends. So I look forward to the Nightmare! He might be the risk you need to take. Might as well considering where we are picking.

eddies' heady's reply to Mike P. on Mar 26 at 23:12

To the east my brother to the east...

Donyell Marsh twice said in the post game:

"This will be Jrue's team next season."

Do you agree, and is this a good thing?

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Mar 26 at 23:04

To me, hell yeah it's a good thing.

For multiple reasons, but specifically because it means that Dala will have moved on (hopefully) and stopped being a phantom at it.

Stat stuffer he is; team leader he is not. Not a knock, just the truth.

The mantle doesn't fit everyone, so sometimes the torch has to continue its passing.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 26 at 23:37

Trading Iguodala is as stupid as the eagles trading the Mcnabb - only a jackass who lacks understanding of the core problems of either team wants such a thing done.

Court_visioN reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 26 at 23:48

not sure that's a great comparison. mcnabb is on a young roster that probably won't win over the next year or two (given how the defense is right now) and has a good replacement behind him. The Sixers don't have anyone else on the roster that can do what Iguodala can do, and Iguodala's only 25 so he can grow with the young guys.

I can understand why the Eagles want to deal McNabb, but I would be very confused if the Sixers move Dala.

bebopdeluxe reply to Court_visioN on Mar 27 at 1:04

Totally agree with this post. Iguodala is young enough to grow with this team and hopefully grow into more of a money guy. McNabb's had enough shots to do that, and even though - as a season ticket holder - I could be seeing some ugly footabll at times at the Linc if Kolb's the guy, I am ready to see if Kolb can do what Donovan could not do...which is to get us over the hump.

It would be nice if the Eagles had a QB who could actually run the West Coast offense - now that we finally have enough talent out there that we can really run it. I am WAY tired of McNabb's crappy YAC...let's see if Kolb's YAC performance last season was a fluke or not.

jkay reply to bebopdeluxe on Mar 27 at 1:33

McNabb is actually in his prime int terms of quarterback years. ask Vinny Testaverde how long they can go on. i have given up on McNabb ever getting that elusive consistency that separates him from the elite QBs (basically Brady, Brees & Manning). I'd warn against great expectations of any sort of Kolb.

The WC offense is quite analogical to Jordan's PO. sometimes its just basketball, and sometimes its just football. good QB or PG = better offense. fitting and systems are overrated.

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 27 at 12:15

It seems Brian is going to have to continue to guide you by the hand and redirect you to the new commenting policy. Tell me why everyone here is able to have civil and respectful discourse except for one childish, lack-of-success-in-sports-participation-living-vicariously-through-tough-guy-comments-on-blog-postings?

If you don't agree with something another thinks, either a) disagree like a grown fucking man (probably asking too much considering) or b) don't make an attention-grabbing-response at all. Is it that hard?

As for the jackass - I'll take your 'tough guy' approach and tell you like I told you before: You get on the asphalt or hardwood with me and when I'm through, you won't be hollering that shit then - because you can't hear silence.

Mike P reply to tk76 on Mar 26 at 23:07

Seeing how the rule changes made it a Point Guard league, yes.

He should have been starting since the beginning of the year. He might have been in the rookie of the year race right now.

The Sixers need someone with the ball in their hands all the time who can direct the offense. Jrue can be that guy. If he can develop into the PG we all thing he might be then we have one of the 2 hardest positions to lock down set for years to come.

I could see going for Whiteside in the draft on this merit as well. Jrue is only 19, we have time on our side.

Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 0:36

Iguodala: "I’ve been able to deal with a lot of adversity this year. There were many times this year I was frustrated, but I kept pushing forward."

My wrap is coming up shortly, just a quick note. Forget about catching the Wizards or the Pistons, it's not going to happen. Thank your lucky stars the Pacers continued their winning streak and cross your fingers that the Knicks don't bottom out.

Sacto is within reach, barely. But I think we'll be lucky to finish with #7.