24-Hour Grace Period

As usual, the above expressed my thoughts perfectly. I also agree #2 was the play of the game. Kind of the poster of the whole game. This, by far, was the best game of the year. AI9 and Jrue, the core, were all over the court driving the Hawks crazy. Bill Green laid eggs all over the court and even EJ gave up on him (this may have been a blowout if he did not play last night).

Anyway, I agree, enjoy the win and deal with reality tomorrow.

Can't do it. I'm well beyond the point I can enjoy wins. Perhaps I'm too engulfed in the tournament and watching prospects, but each win I do the math in my head and remind myself how much less Xavier Henry is going to do to turn around this franchise than Evan Turner, Derrick Favors or Wesley Johnson.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 12:45

I'm in the same boat. These guys showing this bust-ass effort and crisp execution is disheartening because I feel they could have done it all damn year. And what a time to bring it out huh?

As expected with prospects, I keep wavering on who I think I like more than others. But really, I've tried to force myself to 'like' guys who I think will be around when and where we pick (i.e. Monroe) and stop obsessing over the pipe dreams.

But as of today, I think for this team we have now and may be stuck with, I like Favors and Johnson the best. I know they're not likely so as we continue to win and probably pick lower I wouldn't mind taking a chance on a big like the Nightmare (Udoh) or Alabi (don't know anything about the Whiteside guy). Bigs that can possibly play both ends are so hard to find, so as bad as I've been wanting a true shooting guard for the last few years, a both-way big is just too much to pass up, to me.

I've always felt it was more likely that they make some sort of mini-run to nail down a #7-#9 record than completely lose out the way the Wizards or Pistons are.

Despite how bad the Sixers have looked, they are all trying to win (GM/Coach/Players.) The team still loses a lot since they have a lousy couch and questionable talent. But the other teams in the lottery race are more single minded in their desire to lose.

You can argue the 3 teams that want to win and save some face are the Sixers, Knicks and Pacers. So not that much of a surprise that those 3 have won a few games.

Statman reply to tk76 on Mar 27 at 10:44

I can understand why an organization would want to lose intentionally, but I still don't understand how anyone could expect players to lose intentionally. For the Sixers especially, many of them won't be around (on this team) to reap the potential benefits from tanking. So why would they go out and intentionally play poorly? That would only de-value themselves.

Now, I can see where players could play more selfishly and sabotage the product that way (I think this is generally what is happening in DET and WAS), but this team generally seems to get along too well for that to happen. The only way to tank properly is to shelve your best players with "injuries." The Sixers are kind of doing that, but unfortunately we're finding out that the players they have injured are the non-essential ones (Thad, Lou), while the core (Jrue, Iguodala) are still playing.

I don't think the argument has ever been made that they players should (or that we should want) the players to try to lose.

that doesn't mean I'm happy when they win.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 27 at 10:51

"Forget about how important losses are and just revel in what was an excellent game of basketball and hopefully a glimpse of what will fuel this team in the future (Jrue and Iguodala"

this is the attitude that lulls the fanbase into complacency season after season. that its ok to be an 8th seed playoff team at best and a #9 lottery team at worst. This is, always was, and always will be unacceptable to me. cant we just hit rock-bottom , get it over with and then build a real team.

deepsixersuede on Mar 27 at 10:52

Everytime I think of dealing Iggy he gives a reminder of his impact on a quality adversary. Lebron a little while ago and J.Johnson last night. If this team wants to rebuild through the draft and start over, get Iggy and Sam moved this summer. The problem is bad teams may not trade for them rendering the draft picks recieved useless. I still think combining our young resources and getting one guy to pair with Iggy, Jrue and Sam, yes Sam, puts us back in the hunt next year but I know I am in the minority.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to deepsixersuede on Mar 27 at 11:21

i agree with you except for the sam part. i know a lot of you guys jerk Sammy off because he looked good on a 25 win team this season. i remember his stiffness all too fondly. i still dont like him as a starter on a winning team. and i hate him for $10mm+. if he wants to resign for $6mm, ill keep him.

The Greek reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 27 at 12:31

My offer to you Sam is nothing

Brian, good thoughts. The second half was some of the most enjoyable basketball I've seen from the Sixers all year. You could see that by counting the number of "voice-raised-an-octave" moments from Marc Zumoff, with several of them seeming to come in a row in the 3rd. (For example, Jrue stole the ball right after Iguodala's steal and slam, forcing a breakaway foul call.)

A couple of observations:
- Without getting into the injury question, I'd say Iguodala's play recently has been as impressive as I've seen all year. No matter what the detractors say, he's a hard cover, even in the halfcourt, when he's attacking. Joe Johnson certainly couldn't stop him one-on-one. There was one play when Horford had switched onto Iguodala where I was 99% sure Iguodala would pull up for the fadeaway jumper from 20 feet, but Iguodala faked and drove right around Horford, eventually drawing the foul.

- For some reason, Bibby has had Jrue's number all year. I expect Jrue is going to eat him alive in the future. On the other hand, Jrue completely shut down Crawford, who had given the Sixers problems this year.

- I'm really seeing the point you make, Brian, about having a true inside finisher like Favors in the future. Dalembert gets the ball a lot in "finishing position" off Jrue/Iguodala penetrations, but if it isn't a straight-on slam (which he's good at finishing), he doesn't have the footwork to get a good shot up. Brand doesn't have the "ups" to finish around the basket if a defensive player is nearby. Imagine having a 6'9 or 6'10 guy who can make one or two moves if necessary before going up for the shot.

- I've been one of Kapono's biggest critics all year, so I've been as surprised as anyone that he's basically held his own on defense the past few games. Especially surprising was his man-to-man defense against Marvin Williams, although I'm not sure if that says more about Marvin than Kapono. On offense, Kapono's spot-up shooting (when on) gives balance to a team whose strengths are otherwise going toward the basket. I think we may have to switch the Tankman mantle from Kapono to Meeks ...

teddy green on Mar 27 at 11:41

Iggy and Holiday have tremdenous chemistry. i cant be negative, i overall like this team (except Lou Williams, getting rid of him should be the first bussiness of free agency).

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to teddy green on Mar 27 at 11:44

lol, you like this team? so you think getting rid of lou williams is all that needs to be done? cmon, even with a great coach this is 45 win team at best. you need to set your sights a little higher.

I think he means he likes the players on the team. As in, they're likable, not championship caliber.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 14:22

oh. thats great! I like ice cream and walks on the beach

deepsixersuede reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 27 at 11:57

I don!t know what goes on in Sam!s head, but like I have been saying for years, you only need Sam against 20% of N.B.A. teams, but they are all playoff teams. Has he matured this year and gotten it? Has his family issues [Haiti] given him a different perspective? Is this overall improvement offensively because his contract is up? I would love you guys to give me the answer because even last night when removed from the starting lineup there was no sulking and he is 28 and in the top 3, I believe, in blocks and rebounds per 48 min..

JohnEMagee on Mar 27 at 11:50

From the recap on espn.com

Marreese Speights got the start in place of Dalembert right before tip-off. After the game, Jordan said he benched Dalembert because he was late arriving at the arena.

Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 11:53

Holiday became the youngest player in NBA history to have at least 12 assists and seven steals in a game (he also scored 13 points with just two turnovers).

Holiday: "(Early on I was) a little timid, a little not knowing if I'm going to play or if I'm doing the right thing in offense or making the right moves on defense. I've really had the opportunity to just be myself and go out and play."

I asked if it's gratifying to be able to show others he can play like this. "It is. I'm really excited about that. My team trusts in me. It's fun playing like that. We have so many great point guards (in the NBA) that have double-doubles like that. I can be one of 'em."

Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 12:07

Iguodala and Brand both talked about the perimeter-shooting dimension Kapono brings and how that makes it easier on them. Makes you wonder why Kapono wasn't used more earlier -- especially the way he barely played in January and February.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 12:08

Cause the coach is a moron

I'm not sure it's deeper than that

Just goes to show what a little shooting would do for a lot of our players. And not just a shooter, but a catch and shoot shooter. Williams (34%) and Green (35.7%) have both hit three's this year, but they're usually setup by their own dribble. Young's not a bad catch and shoot player (47.9% adjusted field goal percentage on catch and shoot jumpers), but his release is slow and deliberate enough that people don't need to stick on him when they're off the ball. Someone with Kapono's quick release and accuracy really opens things up for Iguodala and Jrue (and to a lesser extent Brand).

Is it too much if I continue to whine about losing out on Wesley Johnson? His quick release, combined with his rebounding and athleticism which will make him great in the open court (and should make him a good defender, although I think I missed the 30 seconds Syracuse has played man-man this year). Would be great to have a well-rounded dead-eye shooter.

*sigh*. That's ok, these two wins will help us tremendously 3 years down the line!

Statman reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 12:45

Derek, what's your projected best-case scenario for Wesley Johnson? Would it be a taller Joe Johnson? Granger who can defend? I haven't seen enough of Syracuse this year to have an opinion. It was disappointing that the two Syracuse guards panicked down the stretch vs. Butler and made Wes disappear (by jacking up their own shots); would have been nice to see what Wes could do with the ball in a high-pressure situation like that.

Wes was ignored down the stretch. Very odd watching that unfold.

He doesn't have the ball-skills of a Joe Johnson. A better defending Rashard Lewis is probably his upside. I do think he's a fairly good finisher in the half-court, so if he develops a little better handle, he won't be as reliant on jumpshots.

deepsixersuede reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 13:26

Do you see Henry ever being the number #1 scorer on a good team, or just an Azuibuke type?

I don't see Henry ever being a #1, no.

Court_visioN reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 13:41

a better defending rashard lewis is PERFECT for this team next to Jrue and Iguodala. I was disappointed at the win earlier, but now I'm depressed.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 13:36

Well Wesley Johnson hasn't been missed out on yet officially - the draft always can play out weirdly - the top 3 is probably fixed, but after that there's wiggle, there's GM's who get enamored with a player for reasons people don't understand, there's always a team that like memphis could take hashemm thabeet cause he's tall - or minnesota another point guard cause, you know, they like point guards (but not john wall) :)

Don't give up hope just yet...

My problem with Johnson though is that he's 6'7 - he's a wing player - and then you get into the whole 'work with Iguodala' don't you?

How do you see him not working with Iguodala? I think his game fits up very well with both Iguodala and Jrue.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 14:44

I had no opinion on it either way actually, it was more of a theoretical 'another swing man' question - can you start a Jrue Iguodala back court with Wes Johnson - I had no opinion on it either way

Yeah, his fit with Iguodala/Jrue is fine. I mean, ideally I'd like someone who could be a true #1 and take some of the creating responsibilities off of Iguodala, but outside of Turner and Wall that's not really available in this draft. His quick release will work very well with them.

The only concern about drafting another wing is what it does to Thad long term. But I take the BPA.

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 27 at 13:50

He pretty much fits as well as anyone will with Iguodala. Good catch and release shooter from deep, doesn't dominate the ball. Their offensive skill sets complement each other. His defense is the only thing that I'm not sure about. He's been great in that zone and is a terrific athlete, but I haven't seen him play man.

That's because Syracuse plays pretty much exclusively zone.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 27 at 14:55

The NCAA needs to start changing its rules to be 'more' NBA like - it's better for the kids if they get to play in an NBA like atmosphere so that people will have a better idea of the players.

Does the big east still play six fouls?

I'm well aware, which they have done for a long time now. His skill set (long rangy, athletic) was perfect for the zone, kind of like Hakim Warrick was there. Still, that's a different kind of game defensively and I would have liked to see him play man. Not putting a whole lot of stock in this, but they played a lot of man in the Le Moyne debacle.

eddies' heady's on Mar 27 at 12:31

On Wesley Johnson, I was wondering after the other night from watching him closely whether he could really have the best opportunity to be more of an 'immediate impact' player and 'near-star' down the road? Maybe besides Wall and Favors.

I can't pinpoint it but he just had something that stuck out at me that said "this kid's going to be the real deal" and for a long time. He just had 'it' to me, but been having a hard time figuring out why the last two days.

eddies' heady's on Mar 27 at 13:54

Tournament teaser - as much as my head hurts from it my heart says I just have to watch this game again (on now) and that beautiful display of basketball put on by the "core two". A little too late, but surely brilliant.

Is Holiday slowly becoming the Jruth?!

If Lou could take note and give just an ounce of the effort that the kid does, ah nevermind, it's Lou remember.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 27 at 14:45

Lou should also take note and grow three inches and put on a lot of weight...

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 27 at 15:14

You should take note near the end of the Hotlanta thread.

Height/weight comparison has no bearing on effort. I expect nothing less from the oaf of the board.

Is this an unreasonable ceiling for Jrue... becasue it has been done only 10X (by 6 players) in the past 25 years:

15pts/8asst/5reb/1.8st

Make it easier (just 4 reb/g) and it is still an impressive list:

Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 15:11

Brand on unflattering report on Sixers by unnamed Western Conference scout in this week's SI: "It’s funny. We haven’t heard about it. Maybe coach has because he’s been harping on energy, playing hard and things like that."

Iguodala: "I didn't see it. Someone mentioned it to me -- not a big deal. I think it's somebody trying to turn something into a story. There's not really anything there."

JohnEMagee on Mar 27 at 15:21

. There's not really anything there."
Like the season Andre?

Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 15:38
Tom Moore on Mar 27 at 15:41

Brand and Iguodala on the difference in the Sixers' offense with Kapono on the floor:

Iguodala: "We don’t have a threat (other than) him out there. It’s kind of like I’m out there passing the ball from the perimeter to the perimeter (without Kapono) and I have to force something. With a guy like him, it’s going up."

Brand: "It changes everything. You saw (Friday’s) second half — swing, swing and we’re knocking down 3s. It’s either one (defenses can't load up on Iguodala and Brand with Kapono on the court). He’s been great."

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 9:38

Ummm Andre, there is also this kid called Jrue Holliday. he is shooting 403% from deep and you might want to consider mentioning him the next time there is a conversation about stretching the defense and also making up for your lack of efficient shooting career long gimmick.

Tom Moore reply to The Greek on Mar 28 at 10:39

I don't think he's slighting Holiday here. Iguodala's saying Kapono is a proven shooter; Holiday is shooting better than anybody expected, but doesn't have the body of work to be regarded as a top 3-point shooter yet.

The Greek on Mar 28 at 9:45

That Kate fagan, she really has improved in her 2 years on the job. And the funny thing is that she has more balls then anyone in the media when it comes time to take a shot at someone, Awesome article today

loved this quote

Not Andre Iguodala, whose outside shot could help build City Hall - brick by brick -

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to The Greek on Mar 28 at 10:39

she hits the nail right on the head. the problem is that people think we just need a good shooter, and keep talking about wesley johnson. i assume that if knowledgable fans talk this way, then front office prob thinks this is good too. this is not a good fit because we already have two small forwards! the foundation of this team is broken and you dont rebuild it by adding pieces that dont fit. iguodala isnt a 2-guard and until we get one and he moves to the 3, we are going nowhere. so keep adding swingmen, its not going to help the problem.

Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 10:33
Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 10:41

Believe the Sixers believe, based on the past two seasons, that Young is better suited as an undersized four than a three.

Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 10:42
Statman reply to Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 13:04

Interesting column, Tom. However, Kapono is one decision for which I don't blame Coach Jordan (one of the few). Hindsight is 20/20, and it's obvious that Kapono fits well as a kick-out option for Iguodala and Jrue -- when he's making shots. From January through mid-March, Kapono shot 5% and didn't play well even when he got extended minutes (16 minutes and 0-4 for 0 points vs. the Bulls on 2/20, 22 minutes and 0-3 for 0 points vs. the Magic on 3/1, etc.). If he's not making shots, he doesn't do anything else well enough to justify his staying on the floor. If he is making shots, then the benefit is obvious from the last couple games.

The Greek reply to Tom Moore on Mar 28 at 15:20

Good job Tom, I loved that he didn't claim to know that they are eliminated!

Court_visioN on Mar 28 at 13:40

would thad young + #7 pick be enough to get into the top 4?

It all depends on how the lottery shakes out.