What's the Difference?

Do you think a guy like Anthony Parker would fit in real well with Iguodala, or does he have to be able to be more of a scorer than good defender/deadly spot-up shooter. Thad's biggest problems are on the defensive end, but it is looking like he was better suited to be a small 4 who exploited mismatches. Golden State want to give Morrow back?

eddies' heady's on Mar 28 at 14:15

Agree with most everything said. My main reason and nearly only reason of wanting to trade Iguodala is solely because of his contract, not the player on the court. If I had to have a secondary reason it would be I worry about his willingness to accept 'not' being the 1st option/star. Just his ability to check his ego at the door, so to speak.

Now if we could miraculously move Brand and that contract, my feelings and all bets are off concerning Iguodala. Although, I do wonder about his ability to carry this team to anything more than .500 and what you would consider a winner.

I think it's very telling that EJ mentioned the other day that they had to prod Iguodala to be more 'aggressive'. This concerns me because the player himself should realize things like this and always play to his strengths and not his weaknesses, which Iguodala for some unknown reason fell in love with doing this year.

I was the biggest Thad fan there was his first two seasons but this year has been such an incredible disappointment. I think he could be a good sixth man in this league but he does not look like a starter. On the other hand he's only 21 (maybe 22 now) and who knows what his future holds. He definitely earns his contract though so I think a Thad trade has to include dumping one of our other contracts.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 28 at 14:30

I would argue that the SG position genrally has more opportunities for long range shots due to his position in a 1/2 court offense. there is more court space at the top of the arc than there is in the corner where a SF normally sets up. so if i had a choice, i want my best shooter in a spot that maximizes shooting opportunities. sure, you can run plays to get your SF good shots, i just dont see as many opportunities. maybe you have numbers contradicting this , i dont know.

more importantly to me is that if we are going to continue to try to build around AI, why not put him in a spot that utilizes him best, i.e, at the 3. why is everything with the sixers a science experiment? we also need a big man right? so why force another SF? Aldrich can play. im sorry people assume he is uncoordinated and unathletic. its not true. he has skills and i know he will be a good player. you heard it here first. just like when i called Jrue the next gary payton.

Wait, are you saying Aldrich over Wes Johnson? Yeah, that's not wise.

As for position on the floor, I don't really buy that argument. If you have a shooter, you find a way to get him in space no matter what position he's playing. You can play with him out on the floor, you can rotate him out there on penetration. It really doesn't matter if he's the 2 or the 3.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 14:51

i think aldrich is going to be a good player. i dont think trading up for johnson is the solution. so if we pick 8th, why not be happy with aldrich and address SG another way

eddies' heady's reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 28 at 14:58

Since upside is typically favored, do we want Aldrich or would we rather take a shot at Udoh or say an Alabi? This Udoh kid is starting to grow on me.

That's probably too early for Alabi, I do like Udoh. I'd rather have him, I think.

The corner three's the easiest three on the court.

Teddy Green on Mar 28 at 14:34

i agree that the Sixers should keep the more versatile Iggy and trade Thaddeus Young if a deal presents itself. The NBA is all about having versatile players that create mismatches; and the team with the players that causes the most mismatches in their favor usually wins.

Having Iggy at the 2, with a big powerful SF that can shoot, like Wesley Johnson, would really cause a mismatch. Much more of a mismatch than a traditional SG like Xavier Henry, who can shoot and run around screens, but he doesn’t create that big of a mismatch due to his lack of ball handling and playmaking skills. A combination of Iggy or Young and Henry work, but a combination of Iggy and Wesley Johnson would work a so much better.

Brian, if we get the seventh or eighth pick in the draft, how about packaging the pick with Young to move up to possibly land Wesley Johnson?

That may be a possibility, maybe the team that loses out on the top three doesn't like johnson or cousings. who knows. We need to wait and see what the top of the draft looks like.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Teddy Green on Mar 28 at 14:50

big and powerful ? 195 pounds soaking wet ? the guys is a good shooter but now you are making stuff up. no one is talking about xavier henry . it will be a travesty if we draft him. he is a mid-first rounder at this point,. that guy will never amount to anything.

so it sounds like everyone wants to do what we can to get Johnson. are there any other options to fix this 2-guard situation ? is there any way to get a SG through a trade ? i dont know, i just heard people make this argument about 'how position doesnt matter' 3 years ago. it hasnt worked with iguodala forcing him to SG. i guess to keep trying is the way to go. lol

deepsixersueder reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Mar 28 at 15:12

A.Morrow may be gettable and he is a given as a catch and shoot guy.

deepsixersueder reply to deepsixersueder on Mar 28 at 15:15

I have read comparisons to S.Marion as far as Johnson!s rebounding and shotblocking, in that respect big and powerful makes sense.

I'd love to get Morrow. Speights for Morrow is something I'd look into, not sure how they'd feel about it.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 16:28

there's a lot of flux in GSW already and now a sale in mind - a good GM might be able to take advantage of that.

Will the sixers be getting a good GM?

deepsixersueder on Mar 28 at 15:00

Is it a lost cause to give the Jrue/Iggy/Thad trio a chance to succeed? Is it guaranteed that W.Johnson will be a better 3pt. shooter than Thad who is at 34% for his early career? If Johnson is there I take him, but trade Thad and our #1? For Favors, Turner or Wall, yes.

It's not guaranteed, but I think Johnson has a much better stroke, and the right kind of stroke to be a shooting threat. I don't think Thad does, maybe he can fix it this summer once Ayers is put out to pasture.

I certainly haven't seen enough to be positive Jrue/Iguodala/Thad doesn't work at the 1,2,3. But from the limited minutes I have seen, I'm not exactly optimistic.

If I'm going trade up, it's for one of four players, in this order:

1. Wall
2. Turner
3. Favors
4. Johnson

For either of the first two, I'd probably include Iguodala. For Wall I'd include Jrue, as much as that pains me. For Favors or Johnson, It'd have to be some combination of our pick and Thad, Lou and/or Speights. But keep in mind, if we trade up, that's definitely going to mean taking picks back. Say GSW winds up with the #2 pick, are you willing to trade Iguodala and #7 for Maggette and #2 (Turner?)

deepsixersueder reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 15:27

At what point do you trade our pick for a young player in the league? Morrow for example. I wouldn!t be surprised on draft night if Johnson is there at 7 or 8.G.M.!s get enamored with size and workout wonders. Alrich,Whiteside, and Monroe may push him to us.Det.,Wash. both may go that route.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 15:40

The way Wall defended last night, getting blown by regularly, I'm not sure I'd give up Jrue for him. He's electrifying, yes, but fundamentally sound, no. I'm aware he's still a pup too.

Suede: I for one don't think it's a lost cause. I'd like to see what a better coach can do with that trio. Two things need to change for the Iguodala-Thad combo at 2/3 to work: (1) Iguodala needs to accept that his strength is never going to be shooting jumpers. We've seen in the past few games how difficult he is to cover when he's attacking the basket with regularity. He did fine as a shooting guard against Orlando and Atlanta with that mindset. (2) Thad needs to become a more physical player, offensively and defensively. Some of his defensive problems could be lessened if he "bodied up" more effectively. He also showed flashes this year of becoming a better defensive rebounder, but he didn't do it consistently. And on offense, he needs to accept contact instead of shying away from it, so that he can play near the basket where he's most effective.

In the best case, the Sixers (as currently constructed) might be able to emulate the Blazers teams of the early 90's who made two finals and were perennial contenders, with not a single "knockdown" jumpshooter in their rotation (Kersey-Buck Williams-Duckworth-Porter-Drexler-Cliff Robinson). Those teams succeeded with defense that led to fastbreak baskets, good rebounding, and slashing in the halfcourt leading to easy baskets. Sounds a lot like what we hope this current Sixer team could be with the right coach ...

deepsixersueder reply to Statman on Mar 28 at 15:38

Thad/Iggy worked fairly well with A.Miller and Willie out there [playoffs]. Substitute Jrue [outside shot] and either Elton or Spieghts or [Montiejunis or Monroe] and it may blossom. They are 14th in the league in reb. diff. [+.6] with Elton getting 6.7 per game so a stretch 4 that can rebound well enough may work also.

Thad/Iggy worked fairly well with A.Miller and Willie out there [playoffs]

That was Iguodala/Thad at the 3/4 though ...

deepsixersueder reply to Statman on Mar 28 at 16:04

I was taking positions out of it and looking at shooting ability only, plus as you stated, a coach with some kind of offensive plan.

eddies' heady's on Mar 28 at 15:00

As for addressing SG, is there any particular reason that we or no one else is willing to give Morris Almond a shot? Can the guy just not defend? Or what ails him because he can pretty much shoot can't he?

deepsixersueder reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 28 at 15:03

His biggest issue from what I read are his turnovers.

Thad has to go, not Iggy. Iggy is a perfect SF swiss army knife. We just need a guy who can shoot and create his own shot. That is it.

I'd happily trade Thad and our pick to get a shot at Johnson. Hopefully we can get Favors and trade for Morrow. That would be a nice young team to watch. Then we'd just need a coach.

Iggy and Jrue can stay. Everyone else is completely tradeable. If we can somehow get Turner I'd happily give up Iggy.

eddies' heady's reply to Mike P. on Mar 28 at 17:27

Mouthful. Very fervent and shared remarks.

eddies' heady's on Mar 28 at 17:56

Holy crap! Did anyone just see that last minute with Udoh? He set a screen better than Sam ever has and popped out for the pass and then delivered a sweet bounce pass through the paint for two. And lo and behold, at the last possession of the half S. Drew calls an iso for who? Udoh! lol.....and he shook the shit out of Plumlee....looking deft with the dribble.

Mark me down. This guy is still in the incubator.

He's impressive. Really impressive.

Why would someone have Monroe ahead of him?

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Mar 28 at 18:21

Yeah gotta like what I'm seeing. Maybe a guy that can give you some of the same things as "good sammy" without the ridiculous mental lapses? Worth a look for sure.

Udoh has perimeter skills you don't normally get in a shotblocking athlete. I've been pushing the Udoh bandwagon for a while now.

Would you take him @ 8 or 9?

I'd gamble on him before I would on whiteside. His value seems to be around late-lottery, but I wouldn't be upset if we gambled on him and took him a little high, if we do in fact end up around 8 or 9. I'm a little concerned about his post defense against bulky scorers, and his defensive rebounding is a bit of a concern, but he has a lot to like. I don't really think of him as a project.

BTW, I had him 10th on our LibertyBallers big board. nbadraft.net has him 24th. I get ya nbadraft moves him into 15th or so after the tourney. that's how they do it.

deepsixersueder reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 28 at 19:25

Does Davis have a higher ceiling? He seems higher on most sites but is it a matter of higher profile.

I'm not a huge Ed Davis fan. His offensive game is a huge work in progress. I probably would, but I can understand the argument for Ed Davis.

They just had Udoh dribbling the ball up to break the press. Not sure that's advisable, but he did it.

deepsixersueder reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 18:23

He is 3 years older than Monroe, that could be part of it.

Yep, that could be it. Monroe is the same age as Jrue. Udoh is 23 in a couple of months.

deepsixersueder reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 18:34

I don!t know how high our management is on Marreese, but if a complimental player to him is what they want than he fits better than Monroe.

Would trading for Kevin Love be a possibility?

deepsixersueder reply to Jason on Mar 28 at 19:57

I love Mr. Love. A p.f. that can hit the 3 and get 12 rebounds and unlike Minn. we have the perfect compliment [Sammy] whose low I.Q. would be made up for by Loves!s high I.Q. .

It's just absurd to me that (a) up until a few hours ago Udoh was the best prospect left in the tournament and that (b) Udoh is no longer even in the tournament. Making the best prospect left standing who, DeSean Butler? Ebanks? There's really no reason left to watch this thing, unless you enjoy watching mediocre teams fight to close, meaningless finishes.

Mediocre prospects, not mediocre teams.

Ebanks is probably the best prospect left. I think he's a better prospect than Butler.

deepsixersueder reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 28 at 20:07

Don!t forget the next Korver, Hayward.

They're pretty mediocre teams too, that's why two of them are 5 seeds. I think it's fair to say that any one of these four teams would get demolished by any one of the recent champions, and that any one of these teams would lose to Kentucky in a 5 game series. They're all playing pretty good basketball right now, but they're just not very good teams.

deepsixersueder reply to Tray on Mar 28 at 20:17

I think W.Virginia can beat anybody.They beat Kentucky without their starting p.g. and how Wall didn!t play Mazzula!s left hand I still can!t figure out.

Exactly. Kentucky didn't really appear to be trying.

deepsixersuede reply to Tray on Mar 28 at 20:37

Its tough for all freshman to pull it off.

nah. Duke and W. Virginia are legit. Both are very good defensive teams.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 28 at 21:04

I think you're looking at it the wrong way and being rather insulting to the teams that got there...there's better coaching, there's better recruiting, a nd the one and done rule can hurt the NCAA...maybe you just need to stop watching colleg basketball, or need to learn how to enjoy basketball again, cause these games are fun to watch...at least the close ones

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 28 at 22:29

It's really pretty poor basketball though. Largely a shooting contest. Half of the players can't even make free throws or deal with a press. Sure, there are all these close games, but it's not like you're watching great athletes or teams duking it out. It's more like a fight to see which team can shoot above 43%.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 28 at 23:16

That can be fixed by extending the 3 point line...but again, much like the NBA getting uglier - it goes back farther - basketball is becoming more and more about athleticism than skill all the way back to high school and earlier

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 28 at 21:02

There's a lot of reasons left to watch 'this thing' - there's not a lot of reasons for you and most people who watch the tournament enjoy the games, the college basketball, and aren't using it to scout future NBA players...

It'd be nice to have a shooter who can also handle the ball. Iguodala and Young both have average to below-average ball handling skills (for a guard). That would be my one argument for getting a more traditional SG.

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Mar 28 at 20:24

Iguodala has below average ball handling skills?

In what way?

Statman reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 28 at 21:37

Iguodala has below average ball handling skills?
In what way?

Don't you read the philly.com boards? I see that statement made every other day (well, I used to see it made every other day, back when I read the comments regularly). Ergo, it must be true (not).

Dedicated_76ers_Fan says so too. I know of no higher authority.

deepsixersuede reply to Derek Bodner on Mar 28 at 21:54

Is Landesburg close in skill to Henry and Anderson?

Haven't watched him enough to really say. Perhaps closer to draft time I'll have a little more of a feel. Word is he's definitely come out, though.

Jesse reply to Statman on Mar 28 at 23:27

Fantastic argument, Statman. You showed some really great stats on this one and really added to the discussion. I'm definitely now convinced that Iguodala has gifted dribbling skills that allow him to break down his man, have a great first controlled step with his dribble, and not be forced to settle for fadeaway jumpers. In all seriousness I think he has a fine handle for a 3 but not great for a 2. Oh wait, but people said the same thing on another site so it must be wrong. Thanks for the enlightenment.

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Mar 29 at 10:34

And what exactly did you do to back up your assertion that Iguodala doesn't have good ball handling skills...I'm pretty sure after you made the statement of opinion, you just kind of backed it up (even when asked) with nothing.

And then instead of defending your point you go after those who call it out, which to me means you have nothing to defend your point with.

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 29 at 12:24

Oh look you did the exact same thing you accuse me of (gave absolutely no basis for your opinion). Except on top of that, you can't actually read. These are my issues with Iguodala's handle. Yes, you guessed it, they from the post DIRECTLY ABOVE YOU:

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Mar 29 at 12:27

Well no young fella...let's learn a lesson

You made a statement with no supporting facts, I asked you a question, you ignored the question and instead attacked someone else.

So I'm going to ask you again

What exactly makes you think that Iguodala is a bad ball handler?

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 29 at 15:25

One, I never said he's a bad ballhandler. I said he's fine for a 3 but average to below-average for a 2. Two, I'm not sure if you have any idea what ball-handling is, but breaking down a defender on one on one dribble moves, having a quick, controlled first step with the ball, and not being forced to take guarded or fadeaway jumpers all have to do with BALL-HANDLING (and are the issues I am referring to with regard to Iguodala's handle). If you reply one more time with a confused comment that puts your ability into question as to whether you can see a computer screen sitting three inches in front of your face, I will recommend you immediately move into a nursing home and remove yourself from society. I hope you're not actually getting offended by this. I'm just fucking around with you, but seriously you need to work on your comprehension skills.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 28 at 21:58

I think hes got a decent handle, but he's turnover prone/makes some bad decisions, and i think in terms of using his handles to get to the rim, hes got an average finisher at best with both hands if its contested/doesn't get the dunk.

I don't know about here, but at realGM the consensus fan favorite for the Sixers to pick 2 of the last 3 years has ended up being selected (Thad, Speights... and then probably Ty Lawson.)

I'd expect this year's consensus fan pick would be Wes Johnson... if the Sixers had not won some meaningless games. Assuming they end up at #8 or #9, who do you think will emerge as the popular choice? I'm guessing one of these athletic bigs like Udoh or Whiteside?

Thad was the consensus pick three years ago at RealGM?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Mar 28 at 23:07

I don't recall that.

Yes, he was the hot name at realgm before the draft, and most posters were ecstatic when he was picked. Same with Speights.

A lot more mixed opinions last year.

I'm not saying the fans tend to be right. More saying that a fan favorite tends to emerge.. and wonder who it will be this year.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Mar 28 at 23:17

No offense to the realgm.com boards - but as a 'consensus' whole i'd rank them around the same level as philaphans.

Iguodala wasn't really a consensus when he was picked but man did they love getting kyle korver

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 28 at 23:49

maybe we should take a vote on this board ... brian, how about a poll ? one now and another when we know the order

johnrosz on Mar 29 at 0:03

Just saw an interview with Snider on Sports Final, when asked if he was dissapointed with Eddie Jordan this season he said something to the effect of "You'd have to ask Ed Stefanski about that, he's the guy that hired him..." when asked if Jordan would be back he also said to "ask Stefanski about that". When asked if Stefanski would be back he said "you'd have to ask me after the season is over"

To hear Snider respond so bluntly about the Sixers FO after he came out recently and gave the Flyers GM a vote of confidence beyond this season...seems the writing is on the wall for Stefanski and Jordan.

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Mar 29 at 0:13

Nice the old prick has finally gotten sick of losing!

It sure would be nice to get a gm in here who doesn't run for the hills and hide when the shit hits the fan.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Mar 29 at 0:15

It also would be nice if we get a gm who can make some positive moves like getting a real SG, finding dumbos's replacement in the middle, and trading either Thad or Iggy.

johnrosz on Mar 29 at 0:21

good point, i don't remember hearing from Stefanski since he defended standing there with his dick in his hand at the trade deadline

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Mar 29 at 10:26

lol, and that was only because he had too!