What Apathy?

smh1980 on Mar 30 at 3:55

Of course we would take Favors if at all possible (I would trade Thad to move up) but there seems to be a good amount of talent after him(Cousins, Motijunos, Udoh, Monroe, Whiteside, Davis.) If we don't get Wall, Turner, Johnson or Favors then I think we can take a younger project (possibly trade down to 11 - 14 if the right deal comes along), give Brand 1 more year to prove himself as a starter, and re-evaluate at the end of next year. Noone knows how this team or Brand would have played under a good coach so I want to wait and see.

That's a fair approach, and probably what I'd opt for as well if you don't get a sure-fire starting big like Favors or Cousins. I'd kind of like it if the new coach went into camp with open competition for every spot.

smh1980 reply to Brian on Mar 30 at 6:39

I definitely don't see Brand being a 40 minute/night guy ever again. I think with a rotation of Brand/Sammy/Speights/Rookie PF(if that's our pick) would be decent. The numbers I would look at as a success next season would be:
Brand
28 mpg/15.5 ppg/7.5 rpg/1.2 blocks per/much better defense

Is this worthy of 80 mil? Absolutely not. But if he and Jrue can develop some chemestry on the P&R then we can succeed in the half court sets when we need to.

Mike P. on Mar 30 at 5:51

What can we do with Brand if he plays like crap? Especially if we get Favors or another young big?

We bench him and never forget the enormous mistake he represents. Then go nuts when they do it again in 3 years or however long it is.

In other news, THUNDER tonight! I overpaid for tickets but I don't care!

bdownbear on Mar 30 at 8:07

I hope the draftexpress's mock draft is the how the draft plays out. Wes Johnson is probably our only hope unless of course we land top 3.
PG-Holiday/Wiliams
SG-Iguodala/Williams/Meeks
SF-Johnson/Young
PF-Brand/Speights/Young
C-Dalembert/Speights/Smith
*Solid 9 man rotation..........If Speights shows flashes like how he played in the beginning of the season, I would start him over Brand.
*That lineup right there is a 45+ win team.

deepsixersuede on Mar 30 at 8:10

I think eventually he will be our backup center if we want to run, similar to earlier in the year but the first scenerio mentioned works for me next year. You may disagree but what happens with Sam is more important to me.

Statman on Mar 30 at 8:56

On the offensive side, Brand actually exceeded my expectations from the beginning of the year, when he was entirely earthbound and looked terrible all-around. Occasionally this year, usually for short stretches and against weaker defenders, he's looked like the post scorer we and the Sixers hoped he would be. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but my impression is that he played better off the bench in short spurts than as a starter with extended minutes. However, Thad's regression left them almost no choice but to start Brand. If the Sixers do pick a stud PF, I think Brand has enough left in the tank to be an asset off the bench. Whether he would accept such a role and play with the right attitude for it is another question.

Like you, Brian, I'm most disappointed by Brand's performance on the defensive side of the ball this year. His blocks are down (career low) but that is somewhat offset by his career-high steals per minute. However, his P/R defense is poor, his man-to-man defense is average (since he can't jump high enough to bother a lot of PF's/C's), and his defensive rebounding is atrocious. Even earthbound PFs in their late 30's like Kurt Thomas rebound the ball better than Brand has this year. Even last year's Brand rebounded the ball better. If Brand is going to fill the "tough PF off the bench" role, the one indispensable part of his game will be good defensive rebounding. I'd like to know why that fell off so drastically this year and hope it is more of a mental reason than a physical one (by comparison, his offensive rebounding was right around where it has been for the past several years).

Maybe Tom Moore can ask EB about his feelings on defense this year!

Shawn reply to DeanH on Mar 30 at 10:30

haha

JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 10:40

They shoot horses don't they?

I am optimistic about Brand. I think he has shut down on Eddie and has a good deal left in the tank. I remember several games from mid season where Brand had monster first halves only to be benched from the middle of the third on. I don't think we've had a chance to really see Brand this season. Same with Speights. They've been used erratically and have never been handed a role to latch onto. Only now is Brand getting consistent minutes, but by this point he's got to be loathing Eddie Jordan and is probably throwing it in anyway, even if he's too classy to say so.

I'm going to look at it as the glass being half full, pray for Wes Johnson, Evan Turner, or John Wall, and hope we can start a turn around with this franchise next season.

Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 13:13

Went to Oklahoma City shoot-around this morning to talk to Mo Cheeks, now an assistant coach with the Thunder.

I asked him what went wrong and led to him being fired Dec. 13, 2008, with the Sixers off to a 9-14 start in 2008-09 after making the playoffs in 2007-08 and receiving a pair of one-year contract extensions along the way.

“I don’t know,” Cheeks said. “I don’t know. That’s the nature of the game. That’s where the game is. You’ve got to roll with those punches. When we get into this business, we know it happens. We can’t let it keep us down – that’s the main thing. When it happens, it can be devastating for that moment. We have to pick ourselves up and move on.”

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 13:23

Unreasonable expectations, slow start, GM looking to make a name for himself...adds up to bad luck for Mo Cheeks

Never liked him as a head coach, still don't, but probably shoudln't have been fired either in my opinion, don't believe DiLeo got 'more' of the team than Mo would have once the season ended...Miller starts slow cause he comes into camp fat...

Tom (or anyone who knows) is Cheeks getting a salary from Sixers AND Thunder ???

I believe the sixers are obligated to pay mo cheeks the guaranteed salary his contract was signed for - one of the benefits of signing coach brace face was that the wiz are still paying him this year

One of numerous stupid things that go on in the NBA

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 14:10

The Sixers are paying Cheeks what he was owed for this season, minus what he's making as a Thunder assistant.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 14:13

The same applies to the wiz and coach brace face yes?

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 14:23

Yes. Believe Jordan is getting $1.5 from Wiz and $1.5 mill from Sixers this year. The Sixers are on the hook for $3 mill each in 2010-11 and 2011-12.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 14:26

And that's guaranteed money folks...so when a cheap hire is made this offseason, keep in mind that's probably partially because 3 million is already going to Joran who might not get a head coaching job ever again in the NBA (I say might, cause after the embarrassment in USC - Tim Floyd got hired again - and some college gave Isiah Thomas a job - so you never know what's gonna happen)

Guaranteed contracts are stupid in general - for head coaches they're just ridiculous.

Mr Moore - do you know if the assistants on the current coaching staff are guaranteed any money past this year?

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 14:53

John -- please, it's Tom -- I don't know if Sixers assistants are under contract for next year. Typically, it's year to year, but not always.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 15:03

I'd be curios to know if it's something that can be found out - as some assistants 'carried over' from last year and some didn't.

For instance, McKie and Lynam - mckie at least should have a multi year deal as an assistant just for his work with Jrue alone

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 15:33

John, I know that in the NFL assistants automatically get a year added on if their team makes the playoffs. Don't think that is the norm in the NBA. I can try to find out.

Well, I don't really care about the Sixers much, I just enjoy talking draft. If they put themselves on some sort of track to have a good team, with players I enjoyed watching, I'd start caring... but that seems such a long way away that I'm not going to care about a team just for the slim possibility that they might once again be worth caring about.

And by the way, can you think of any player who had so much head case talk around him as Cousins and didn't actually turn out to be a head case? I can think of guys who were supposed to be nuts and had good rookie seasons, like Villanueva, but then fell back. Prospects who were seen as mentally iffy the past few years: Beasley, Speights, to some extent Darrell Arthur, the physically gifted but narcoleptic (and at the end of his career, academically ineligible) Walter Sharpe, Julian "when will he ever put it together" Wright, Sean Williams, Marcus Williams of Arizona, Marcus Williams of Uconn, Jameson Curry, Adam Morrison, Ty Thomas, Rudy Gay (underachiever), Hilton Armstrong, Rodney Carney, Shawne Williams, Josh Boone, James White, Villanueva, Rashad McCants, Salim Stoudamire, Chris Taft, Kris Humphries, J.R. Smith... J.R.'s turned out okay but it's been a bumpy ride.

caron butler

oh yea and LO

OJ Mayo, to a lesser extent.

Rich reply to Tray on Mar 30 at 14:31

A lot of those guy are borderline NBA players if they had won a Nobel Peace Prize. What do Kris Humphries (who has probably overachieved by staying in the league), Jameson Curry, and Chris Taft have to do with Cousins? Do you think Adam Morrison has failed because he was emotional during games in college? No, his game just doesn't translate, that's all. Point is, almost none of those guys have the talent Cousins has anyway.

Rajon Rondo didn't exactly handle the Kentucky pressure well and he turned out alright? Amare is a nut, but he's still a pretty damn good player. OJ Mayo has quietly been very important for the Grizzlies and he had a full-fledged investigation on him. Anthony Randolph still has the Warriors excited, Tyreke Evans drove a getaway car in a shooting.

It's happened both ways, and some Kentucky homers have pointed to youtube videos of him playing with babies. His maturity is definitely a negative, but you can't write this guy off due to history.

Tray reply to Rich on Mar 30 at 16:51

Mayo had an investigation into his taking money to come to USC, that doesn't speak to his being a jerk or a bum on the court. Likewise, Evans - I mean, there's a difference between being an alcoholic/drug addict and occasionally helping your friends shoot someone. In the former case, you have no control over your life and probably won't play basketball as well as you should, in the latter you're just a bad person.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Mar 30 at 17:03

you have no control over your life a

My father was a drunk, i have addictive tendencies and have seen the warning signs early in my life - you have control - you have a choice - you don't wake up and suddenly are an alcoholic - you see it coming - and you ahve a choice...yes i believe in addiction but one isn't 'helpless' against his addiction unless on chooses to be helpless.

Kids fuck up - but in the NBA no one really cares as long as you can play basketball...and no one cares in high school or aau or college even as long as you can play basketball - and tim floyd got hired by UTEP today

Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 14:25

Asked Thunder head coach Scottie Brooks what it's like to be working with Cheeks again (Brooks was Cheeks' backup at the point in 1988-89):

"Mo’s terrific. Mo’s the best. I’m thrilled to have him – shocked that he came on board. It was just a shot. When I had an opportunity to get him, I didn’t think that he would say yes because he was so fresh from being released. But he loves the game, he wants to stay in the game. He’s done a great job with us. He’s been terrific for me. He has a lot of experience as a player, an assistant and a head coach. I bounce things off him all the time. He’s been great with our players. Everybody loves Maurice. How can you not?"

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 14:28

Mo is an excellent assistant coach.

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Mar 30 at 14:54

Scott Brooks on his memories of his rookie season with the Sixers (1988-89) after coach Jimmy Lynam discovered him at the Southern California Summer League: "I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in right now if it wasn’t for Jimmy. He believed in me when nobody wanted to take a shot at a little guy from UC-Irvine. But he saw something, stuck with me and gave me an opportunity.

"(Training camp was at) Franklin & Marshall (in Lancaster). I remember those days like it was yesterday. It was some of the best times of my life, being around that team and coach Lynam. I was a rookie. Philadelphia was my favorite team growing up in California. I was a Sixer fan. I lived Julius (Erving), I loved (Andrew) Toney, I loved Maurice, I loved Bobby Jones. I loved ’em all. Sedale Threatt. Earl Cureton. I loved ’em all. For some strange reason, I grew up a Sixers fan. I did not like the Lakers. I did not like the California teams."

While I think Brand has been a pretty model citizen concerning some of the attacks Jordan made on him earlier in the year, I don't think he's trying. On offense, he still lives to shoot the pick and pop, but he doesn't crash the boards or block shots at all. Two of my favorite games were earlier in the season against Charlotte where he was cleaning the glass like crazy, and a few months ago when we won in OT against the Bulls. In OT, he teamed up with Sammy (and he did it all game) to seal up the paint.

Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 15:04

It tends to be tough to trade up into the lottery because teams typically place a great deal of value on the picks they have.

Tom Moore on Mar 30 at 15:24

Brooks on the start of his rookie season (1988-89) with the Sixers: "I lived with Charles (Barkley) for two months. Whether that was a good influence or a bad influence – I’m still going through therapy over that."

bdownbear on Mar 30 at 16:31

I have a gut feeling that Snyder's going to fire both Eds after this season. And here's the thing that hurts me the most........I think our next GM/President will be Larry Brown. Yes, I said it Larry Brown. I bet Snyder will hire Brown after the Stefanski era.