A Saturday Matinee

The Greek on Apr 3 at 10:13

Brian on the last post I suggested that I would take Mayo and anything for Iggy.

What about Bogut? If you were the Bucks GM and I offered you

Iguodala
Sammy
Willie

for
Bogut
Redd

Would you be interested, or insulted?

Stefanski are you listening? Interns for the sixers run this post to your master.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Apr 3 at 10:16

I would like to hear anyones's' opinion on this.

The Greek reply to The Greek on Apr 3 at 10:18

Bad spelling. Brian once again if you get there again please let us know what these jagoffs are doing pregame. I bet Speights will be doing his 360 layups from the free throw line during laying drills as usual.

JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 11:30

The Raptors are imploding and it's kind of fun, last I heard Hedo was benched

Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 12:05

No Carney or Young today. Williams will play.

Kapono is starting again.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 12:15

Kapono should get a lot of open looks today...the rest of the sixers however should drive at every opportunity

Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 12:31

Jordan pregame on the season: "It's disappointing to lose. It's not a disappointment tbat this team comes to work every day. This team had to understand how to fend for themselves. I've said that the last few weeks -- how to fight back. They've been learning that. This team is learning how to behave the right way. I think you've heard that from a very good coach in the past. It's not just dribble, shoot, pass -- it's how to behave. And they're learning that. And I've liked what they've learned."

Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 12:40

Jordan, asked if he could've anticipated this season would've been such a struggle: "I didn't understand the dynamics of this team. I understood some of the dynamics of the team last year, but this is a different team."

Jordan, on if each is a different team even with just a few players changed from the previous year: "It depends on which players you change. You can't change your best player or one of the three of four top players on your team and pretend it's going to be the same team. Or even the dynamics of a veteran group that's not here anymore. People don't understand the dynamics of that."

I'm in section 107 if anyone is at the game. Look for balloon animals and crazy kids

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 13:42

7 turnovers in just the 1st quarter and still only down 2. *sigh*

JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 13:45

Brand Kapono Speights Williams Green

That's an awesome 5

teddy green on Apr 3 at 14:02

i know we're suppose to lose this game for lottery chances, but part of me wants to spank these marsh mellow raptors just to shut their broad cast team up.

Toronto isn't a good enough of a team to tell us that we're dire straits. Not with a team with a franchise player who doesn’t appear to want to commit to them and their big off season acquisition being a bust that is being paid over $ 50 million dollars to come off the bench.

JohnEMagee reply to teddy green on Apr 3 at 14:04

Broadcast teams are employed by the teams, they live in dream worlds - have you heard the sixers broadcast team? They are delusional about the sixers as well.

The Raptors broadcast team can't very well talk about how soft their team is and how they're just playing out the string hoping they can work out some sort of semblance of a quality S&T for Bosh who is leaving no matter what or how bad a hire Triano was or what a horrible contract Hedo is...they'd get fired

Rich reply to teddy green on Apr 3 at 14:08

I hear ya, but we have to lose. A win could drop us two or three spots. Root against them after or take solace in Cleveland beating then by 40 in every game.

teddy green on Apr 3 at 14:44

You're both right, and i can't wait for the playoffs to start and Lebron plays these soft jump shooting floppers. Let see them try that matador defense and ref whining in the playoffs.

i hope Lebron goes T-Mac on Shawn Bradley and dunks in Chris Bosh’s grill...

JohnEMagee reply to teddy green on Apr 3 at 14:46

I don't think it's a lock that the Raptors make the playoffs right now - they're kind of god awful soft defensively - and I think they are imploding - the hedo thing is a bust - they know bosh is leaving - and triano probably knows he's canned...i wouldn't be surprised if they get passed by chicago.

Holy shit what a dunk by Jrue.

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:19

Thank you Dick!!! 2 POINTS!!!

Rich reply to bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:25

Hahaha I wonder if the crowd cheered when they took that point off.

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:27

Wright with the right move...

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:29

C'mon Bosh just end this!!!

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:29

Damn Jrue that was too good of a penetrate and dish to Willie there, Shit.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:30

Fuck, Jrue. And you knocked down the 3.

Willie with the miss, iso Bosh and let's get out of here.

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:31

Gooooooo Willllllayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:32

Bosh ends this.....Just watch, its a wrap.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:34

Aaaand.....he missed it! OT coming!

Put Jrue's ass on the bench. He was beasting it late in that fourth.

Sammy's end of game defense is excellent. Too bad. Hopefully Willie gets some more looks in OT.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Apr 3 at 15:41

Sam Dalembert stinks - don't forget that

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:36

LOL, wouldn't it be funny if Green hit the game winner....I would be heart broken.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:38

Yeah keep Dre on Bargs so he can abuse him on the blocks.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:39

That damn Jrue. Well, it is a Holiday weekend you know. He hits another trey.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:39

Now Iggy wants to knock one down. man, put Meeks in.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:40

Jrue I love you kid but you're killing me. Can you miss just one?

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:43

Rupaul!!!!!!!

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:44

TOR up 3 with 29 sec left. Who gets it? Iguodala please. CLANK!

I hope he hits it and Bosh answers.

Play is for him per CSN.

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 15:45

Willie Green with the tie!!! Mark Zomoff "YESSSS WILLIE GREEN.OH YES!!!"

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:46

And CLANK it went! Thanks Iggy....for shooting that 30 footer, rushed at that.

Terrible shot. First mistake he made all night. I'll take it, good work Dre.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:49

And Jack missed both but they luckily get the rebound. whew...

Congratulations all around, that's a perfect game for me.

Craig Nettles on Apr 3 at 15:51

Igoudala with the deliberately bad shot to preserve the tank loss. That's the only explanation. THANK YOU IGGY

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 15:51

Good effort, shitty defense, but job well done guys. Just go back to the OKC and CHA effort the rest of the way, will ya.

Jrue- 25 points, 10-12 (2-3 3FG), 7 dimes, 1 TO, 2 steals.

AI9- 33 ponits, 9-14 (3-7 3FG), 11 dimes, 8 boards, 5 steals.

And we lose..... YES!!!!!

Rich reply to Rich on Apr 3 at 15:55

4-7 threes for Iggy actually.

Did EJ call that play out of the timeout for an AI9 quick 3 pointer trying for a 2 for one? WTF? HORRIBLE DECISION by either AI9 or EJ.

johnrosz on Apr 3 at 15:59

This game was an example of what Eddie Jordan believes the NBA should be. A no defense, 3 point shootout littered with small ball and jump shooting...

That playcall out of the timeout was absurd. Most coaches in that situation are looking best shot available, 2 or 3. But not EJ, he wants the 3 no matter what, the hasty 3 by Iggy is your result.

On a positive , Jrue looks more confident each time hes out there. He really doesn't play like the youngest guy in the league.

Rich reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 16:02

How about the wheel play to Willie too, completely off balance.

EB= 12 points, 0 boards in 24 minutes.

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 16:03

Curious to hear the post game quotes on that ill-advised heave by Iggy. It was hard to tell if he was going quickly for the 2 for 1 or if he just wanted to be the hero. While watching it, it appeared he purposely jacked it in a 2 for 1 situation b/c he pulled up so damn far behind the line. But that's just speculation.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 16:10

Just heard Jordan say that the play call was for best shot available. But i could've sworn I heard Jamie Maggio say during her update out of the timouet that the ball would be in Iggy's hands to take a 3? I was in and out of the room but I'm almost positive I heard that.

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 16:13

Well, like I said, chalk it up to him wanting to be the hero. Hero with an ego.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 16:25

Different reports from differing sources - one from a coach with a history of covering his ass - of course you pick the one that allows you to bad mouth Iguodala when he had one of his best games of the season.

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 18:05

If all of that wasn't enough, Iguodala took an ill-advised quick three-pointer with 26.9 seconds remaining and the Sixers down 126-123.

The shot missed, and the Sixers did not score the rest of the way.

''Bosh (Raptor forward Chris Bosh) was guarding me throughout the whole overtime and he really would not let me catch the ball,'' Iguodala said. ''We were having trouble inbounding the ball. I got a catch and he gave me an inch, and I just wanted to make a play. It just came up short.''

It clearly was not the play Jordan wanted.

''Not a quick three, no,'' Jordan said. ''(We wanted) a quick two or a diagrammed three . . . We all sometimes in life have those moments. It wasn't necessarily what we wanted.''

Who's bad mouthing now? I told you to close that trunk Malvo...

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:35

You want it to be Iguodalas fault - presented with two pieces of evidence - you'll ignore the history of Joran spinning post game to blame anyone but himself and focus on whatever makes it Iguodalas fault...

As for your continued name calling - if brian wants to allow it - that's great - but kindly shove it up your ass mo -you and curly and larry make this place intolerable for folks with functional brains

You are calling someone who disagrees with you a lot on pro basketball a name equated with one of the worst serial killers in the United States. Come on, you gotta be better than that. I know you are better than that. That just makes us all look dumb. Please stop that for my sake. Use dbag or something a little more juvenile. It's much more harmless.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 18:30

Did you catch what Jamie Maggio said out of the timeout? I'd be really curious to go back and hear it again but i don't have DVR. I definitely heard the words "Iguodalas hands" and "three" though

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 16:27

I don't know, it was like a desperation 3 though. I feel like he was instructed to do so for the 2 for 1. I wouldn't be shocked if EJ is just leaving his player out to dry. Its a shame that Iggy ended the game like that, he played so well,finally started to show more willingness to attack the rim.

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 16:40

Well that's what i was saying initially but just from my viewpoint. It looked like it was instructed because he rushed it and was so dang far behind the line and wasn't set or on balance (but sometimes he never is), when he just out of the blue pulled up.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 17:42

I'm not buying what Jordan said, there's no way he said best shot available outta the timeout. For all of Iggys faults, hes a smart basketball player, I can't see Iguodala heaving up that garbage unless he was feeling the heat from the bench to get something up there.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd say Jordans just trying to cover his own ass at this point, if he has to leave Iggy out to dry in the process, then so be it.

I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm to the point where I get that sickening "we lost" feeling when the Sixers pull out a W...sad...

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 17:50

I feel the exact same way and it's so surreal because I have never ever had feelings like this concerning the Sixers or any fav team. It's just fanatically painful to take these angles with games. It's not my nature and never has been. My competitive fire has always been lit but the Sixers extinguished my pilot months ago.

First time for everyting I guess - hope it's the last too.

bdownbear on Apr 3 at 16:05

I hope we luck out and Favors is our man. I kind of want to see Brand off the bench. He just wouldn't fit with Holiday/Iguodala/Sammy....yes Sammy!!... Those three have a special thing going on.

Didn't watch the game. Had a lot of family stuff to do this weekend, about to start the DVR. Did Brand really not grab a rebound in 25 minutes or is that a typo?

johnrosz reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 17:51

even crazier of a stat to me was Mo Speights with 5 dimes

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 17:57

Crazy stats to me were Iguodala and Jrue's monster lines and near 56% shooting overall, only 4 turnovers after the first quarter and we STILL lost. Guess that is telling of how far our team really has to go. It's not like this was an upper echelon team. We just have a bad mix of players to even begin to constitute a team. But you can rest assured Ed will hold onto them with a firm grasp. The guy has got to make changes, major ones at that (if he's still here, hopefully not). To continue to hold tight to the vision of two years ago is stupid.

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 17:58

Speights only had one dime didnt' he?

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:17

you are correct. next time i read box score i should put my contacts in. My fault. Just thinking about the game right now...how sweet was that drive and kick Jrue had in the OT session, drew a couple defenders and somehow swung the ball to Iggy at the perimeter...didn't knock it down but an incredible play. Jrue impresses me more every day.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:06

The shot missed, and the Sixers did not score the rest of the way.

It clearly was not the play Jordan wanted.

This is not the first time Dre has freelanced out of a timeout this year. It's happened multiple times and the anti-Jordan crowd always wants to lay it in his lap. When your players don't listen to what's instructed, your hands are tied as a coach.

eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:13

The Raptors' Antoine Wright said ''I don't know what he was thinking. He's a great player. He did everything he could tonight, but I think maybe he just rushed his shot. He had a matchup that favored them and I think he just got a little ahead of himself.''

Iguodala said "I think to be one of the elite players, you have to have that confidence in yourself no matter what situation, whether you are making shots or not. You go through those moments, whether you make them or miss them, you have to have that confidence in yourself.''

Wannabe hero with an ego. Enough said.

You've got Bosh on you and you don't have enough confidence to take his ass to the rack? After you had basically done that all game with whoever was guarding you. Pull up damn near 5 feet behind the arc? Only him, only him.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:26

it absolutely amazes me that people still expect iguodala to get it done when it counts. he never has. he is not a player to be depended on to score, its not his strength. hopefully we can get a good enough player someday so AI wont always try to be a hero. or ever be asked to be a hero.

Lee Boyd Malvo

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:26

Wow, thanks for posting that stuff up here. I guess I can't really lay the blame on that one for Jordan then.

I'm villified around here when I question certain aspects of Iguodalas makeup, but I think this speaks volumes to my point. I'm tired of hearing him talk about being one of the best in the game. He has a complimentary game but wants all the acclaim of the superstar. Great complimentary players dont always scream "look at me, look at me, look at all the little things I'm doing to help us win!" They just go out there and do it...

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 3 at 18:26

Lee Boyd Malvo

johnrosz on Apr 3 at 18:33

Off topic, but any chance Britney Griner is still on the board with our pick?

Statman on Apr 3 at 18:55

Commentary on Iguodala is more balanced here than elsewhere, but it amazes me how, in a game where he made 25+ good plays and 1 poor play, the Iguodala-haters ONLY want to talk about the 1 poor play. So, to all the Iguodala haters: take a look at the boxscore again and tell me whether a 33-8-11 with 5 steals is the line of a complementary player ...

JohnEMagee reply to Statman on Apr 3 at 18:59

While i'm not one of the haters - it was one game - against one of the softest defensive teams in the league.

He is a complimentary players, he's not a super star - but he's a scottie pippen type player with a good all around game and is fairliy paid for what he can do - the problem is that people have unrealistic expectations about the type of player he'd 'become' once he got the bigger contract - like somehow new contract means he suddenly gets better at things he can't.

He's a great defender, he has great court vision and is a strong rebounder for his position...he doesn't shoot great from the outside and while improving his finishing at the basket - it still needs work....but he's a very very good player - what i don't get is the expectation from so many that he should be able to do things he's never done just because his contract is bigger.

He's a pippen - there's nothing wrong with beinga pippen - but pippen was at his best when he had jordan

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 19:04

Well said.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 3 at 19:08

The Iguodala debate and the Dalembert debate sort of frame around the same concept I think.

Those who seem to 'hate' the player - hate him for what they think he should be able to do while not appreciating what he does do - all they see is the salary and say 'well if you make X in the NBA you should do Y' - so therefore they hate Sam and Andre for similar reasons - they only see what they can't do - without appreciating what they can.

I mean - I've hated Sam for a long while (just ask derek before he banned me from realgm :) ) - I hated the contract when Billy King bid against himeself - but it is what it was and Sam isn't horrible - he ain't great - but he'll do - and I learned to try and recognize what sam can do and ignore the fact that he's offensively challenged like leo in what's eating gilbert grape.

Before a certain group of people freak out and say i am saying sam is as good as andre (or vice versa) I"m really not - I'm saying that the hatred for both seems to come from the same place...a lack of appreciation and unrealistic expectations

Statman reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 21:13

This was one game, but the voluminous negative comments above from the Iguodala critics came from one play -- to the total disregard of everything else positive he did in the game.

You and I generally agree on Iguodala, so here's a question for you, John -- if Iguodala played every game like he's played the last six (all against playoff teams, by the way), would he be able to sustain those offensive numbers over a whole season (22 ppg, 55+% FG, 7 FTA per game)? Because if he could, that would change the conversation about his offensive limitations, I think.

I believe that if Iguodala played all the time with the attacking style that suits him best, he's capable of something approaching his recent numbers. His biggest problem this year has been poor shot selection rooted in an offensive philosophy that is mismatched to his strengths.

Iguodala's averaging 21.7 pts per game the last 6. He's making 1.8 three's at 52.4%. If he reverts to his career norms (0.9 made per game at 31%), he's averaging 18-19 ppg.

somehow half my post got clipped.

Yes, he's getting into the paint more, and getting to the line more than he has for most of the season (although since he's shooting less than 70% from the line, it's not resulting in an increase in scoring). But a big part of his increase in scoring these last 6 games is an unusually efficient production from his jump shots, which is likely unsustainable.

Statman reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 21:57

Probably true WRT his jumpshooting. My impression has been that more of his attempts and makes have been on the inside vs. long, contested 2-pt jumpers (correct me if I am wrong). This is the part that I think would be sustainable long-term.

JohnEMagee reply to Statman on Apr 3 at 22:01

Not sure if this helps - but check this out

Statman reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 3 at 22:10

Thanks for the pointer. My observation was talking about the distinction between "last six games" vs. "entire season," not sure if that site provides that data. My impression is that in the last six games, more of his attempts have been at the rim (or closer to the basket).

You can check out this data in the game log to create splits. like this.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 21:57

Like I say about Sam, Andre needs to accept what he can do and realize what he can't - I mean he's been in the league long enough and worked at it long enough that I just don't think he's ever going to be a shooter - somehow he needs to see that - he needs to play to his strengths more often - much like sam needs to only shoot when he's dunking or in the air for an oop :)_

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Statman on Apr 3 at 19:06

dont care about the statline. the guy doesnt play well at the end of games. probably because he is forced in a situation to be what he isnt. but nonetheless people do expect more from a guy with that contract. id love to have iguodala as my 3rd scoring option. until then, he will always underachieve

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 3 at 19:14

probably because he is forced in a situation to be what he isnt.

Yeah - and for some reason the haters (of which you so easily are one - and you know it) make that his fault...it's his fault the TEAM is built poorly so he's in a situation asked to do things beyond what he can do? That's nonsensical - you blame him for something beyond his own control.

Your whole post doesn't make sense - how can he underachieve if he's asked to do things that we all know he isn't capable of - how is that his fault.

Calling him an underachiever even after you make the opening statement just proves my point...you want to hate him so all you look at is what he can't do...even admitting that it's not his fault he is put in those situations...

Excellent points BUT his comment on an Elite Player REALLY upsets me. And will feed the IA9 feeders with alot of fuel.

And, after thinking about this on the way home, I blame this on coaching more than him. Any compentent coach would have had a play drawn up with either Jrue shooting the long ball OR IA9 or Jrue driving to the hoop.

He's a #3 offensive option who's capable of being the 2nd best player on a championship team IMO. I'm not sure whether that's a complimentary player or a whatnot, I hate terms like that that change definition on every person who asks, and I think star/superstar gets thrown out way too often than it should, but that's what I see him as.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 20:02

What would you consider Pippen when he played with Jordan - just curios what you thought of Pippens 'role' or 'title' if you had one.

I hate CASE statements

Star. I think pippen was perhaps the best perimeter defender I've seen in my lifetime. I also think Pippen's offensive numbers were slightly regressed during his prime because of playing with Jordan. That season Jordan wasn't playing he was phenomenal.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 20:08

If #9 played with Lebron, or Kobe, do you think he'd be considered a star or a weak associate?

someone in the middle. wouldn't be considered a star, probably not even an all-star, but I don't think he'd be considered a bit player either.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 20:08

3rd offensive option, second best overall. i agree 100% . when did pippen come into the conversation? one of the 50 best of all time, lets use tayshaun prince as comparison instead

AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 3 at 19:30

no freaking out, John. what you say has a lot of merit. hate is kind of a strong word. i just dont see these guys as part of our winning future (iguodala possibly if we get at least 1 player thats a better scoring option) . so because this is my belief, i dont appreciate them. i would rather go another direction and let another team waste precious years trying to win with these guys

yes, the team is poorly built, its not AIs fault. i really dont hate him. i like him, i just do not want him as the go-to guy. but its going to be hard to get the mix of players to make AI work - a really good go-to guy is going to be expensive. and while i have conceded that his contract is not bad, and it is market-value, i dont think its realistic to build a winner when your 3rd option makes that kind of money

Duracorr on Apr 3 at 20:58

I have never understood the attitude toward AI9 and Sam to a lesser extent. AI9 is a very good player who is not a great outside shooter. He does everything else well. Sammy defends, rebounds and blocks shots and has a decent jumper. That is what you need from a center. Both have large contracts, but not outrageous. If Thad had continued to develop his outside shot to become a 20 point scorer with a good 3point shot, no one would be questioning AI9. Don't forget that Thad's cap hold will be around $8M when his rookie contract expires.

Perhaps our venom toward these players comes from the overall lack of success which IMO comes from poor coaching more than poor players.

Iguodala was fantastic today. I'm embarrassed that a lot of people fail to mention that he was awesome, amazing, unreal, whatever. The last shot was horrible, I agree. That's one play. Whatever you think of his ego, attitude, talent or whatever, it doesn't matter. He played one of the best all around games I have ever seen today. If you can't (or just as bad don't want to) see that, I don't really know what to say.

Statman on Apr 3 at 21:24

He's a #3 offensive option who's capable of being the 2nd best player on a championship team IMO. I'm not sure whether that's a complementary player or a whatnot, I hate terms like that that change definition on every person who asks, and I think star/superstar gets thrown out way too often than it should, but that's what I see him as.

This is certainly fair, and I don't disagree. It's also a good point that definitions vary from person to person. I would modify the description to "#3 option in the halfcourt, #1 option in transition." Iguodala is as good a transition finisher as anyone in the league right now not names LeBron.

Statman on Apr 3 at 21:35

dont care about the statline. the guy doesnt play well at the end of games.

Well, here's the problem I have with your reasoning: the statline tells me Iguodala was one of two players (along with Jrue) responsible for giving the Sixers a chance to win the game. So to ignore the first 52 minutes and focus on the last 1 minute gives a very unbalanced view of a player's performance.

By the way, and I have pointed this out before, while Iguodala has been terrible in game-ending situations this year, he was stellar in those same situations in the second half of last year (I'm talking 8-9 games, not just the Lakers game). The critics seem to ignore that body of work when concluding that Iguodala doesn't play well at the ends of games.

One difference between last year and this year in game-ending situations is that he took it to the hole more often last year (and scored or got fouled more often as a result). So part of the drop in performance is due to the same factor that has caused his overall drop in performance, the overemphasis this year on jumpshooting.

JohnEMagee reply to Statman on Apr 3 at 21:48

Kobe bryant shoots like under 30% in his 'clutch shooting' moments - yet everyone thinks he's just awesome

Where are you getting that number from? He's been remarkably consistent the past three years.

According to 82games.com:
'09-'10: 43.8%
'08-'09: 45.7%
'07-'08: 44.8%

He was less than that previously in his career, but never at or below 30%.

BTW, that's raw percentage, not adjusted for 3 pt value.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 22:04

I think i used the wrong term for what i was referring to - i was talking about those 'game winner' every one thinks kobe hits consistently...not the 'clutch' moments - just those end of game shots that he gets a lot of credit for...all small sample size ideas taken into account...

Though since in most laker games this season the average margin of victory, win or lose, is 10+ I wonder how many of those shots have really come this year...i forget where i read it - it ws 'last shots' for the pst 2-3 years, kobe wasn't very good compared to others yet had a lot more attempts than anyone else. It was weird - i have no idea where i found it - i think originally on ESPN - JORDAN might remember what i'm referring to

Gotcha. I think I probably said this before, but I'd be curious what the league average is on the shots you're describing. I'd guess it's very low.

Statman reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 3 at 22:15

Have you guys seen this:

Analysis was done in the middle of the 08-09 season. Iguodala fares well in comparison to league average and Kobe is one of the worst. Of course, percentages would be reversed this season ...

Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 21:47

Iguodala on his 3-pointer with 27 seconds left in OT: "I think to be one of the elite players, you have to have that confidence in yourself."

The Raptors’ Antoine Wright: "I don’t know what he was thinking."

Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 22:30

Jordan pregame on how long it takes teams to adapt to a new coach: "You look at different teams with different coaches and systems. It takes a year or so. Michael Jordan didn’t really understand the triangle (offense) until another year and half, two years later. Look at Larry Brown in Charlotte – it took them a year to understand what he wanted to do. Even New York has taken a few years under three or four coaches to get it right. It takes a year. Some people come in and do it in one year, I guess. I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. Those things come to mind. Even in Washington, it took us a year and we went to four straight playoffs. It’s that sort of process."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Apr 3 at 22:32

Wow - Eddie just begging not to be fired anyway he can huh?

Maggio: Coach says get it to Iguodala and have him shoot a three ball.

Iguodala jacks up ill-advised 3 and they lose...

EJ: We wanted a quick two or a diagrammed three.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 3 at 22:57

I'm gonna trust the person not trying to spin and save their job :)

I went back and checked... the exact quote:

"The Sixers goal right now is to get the ball in Andre Iguodala's hands and let him put up a three."

That is exactly what happened.

Not saying that was the shot that EJ envisioned, but it was the play he called.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 3 at 23:19

So - Iguodala ran the play the coach asked...

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 0:06

Iggy panicked and jacked the shot from Lower Merion High School. I expected him to brick in from 23 feet but a miss is a miss and if that's your guy with the game on the line then instead of drawing a play in the huddle your better off leading a group prayer.

Jrue is a fkn beast!!!!

Really enjoyed the final 10-15 minutes. felt like playoff basketball- or at least as close as we will get to see. Great to see Jrue starting to get more efficient in those key possessions. He still makes jump passes, but he knows where all his teammates are, so they were good passes.

Jrue's ceiling depends on his jumper and scoring ability. And from these last few weeks the future looks extremely bright for him.

BTW, Brian was that you and your kids getting the cameo after the T.O. in the 1st qtr? If so, pretty cool, you should save the tape.

If we were on camera I didn't know it. They were mostly running up and down the aisles hitting everyone in the back of the head with their balloon animals. My advice to any parents out there is to think twice before you bring kids younger than three to a basketball game.

I didn't get the philly feed, so I'm not sure if it was us.

[url=http://www.softassembly.com/Raptor.html]cheaper Raptor[/url].