Unappreciated

One thing I forgot to mention about Jrue. It was awesome to see him scoring down the stretch like that. I had been worried about his legs not being there at the end of games, but he played 43 yesterday and he was not only draining jumpers, but driving with authority in the 4th and overtime. Very, very good to see. Loved that dunk, too.

Oh, and Jason Smith is a stiff. Please don't talk to me about how he hustled. He's a fouling machine with horrible finishing skills, no rebounding skills and nervous feet on his jumper.

One other thing I forgot to mention and am too lazy to go back in and edit into the post: I don't want to jinx it, but we're two straight losses away from the holy grail of coaching futility: a .333 winning percentage.

I seriously hope they sit Iguodala for the Detroit game, but I'm afraid just sitting him may not be enough.

I can't believe anyone wants to focus on that one shot. He was freakin amazing today. Regardless of what you think of him as a player, he put together one of the best performances I have ever seen. I know it was against a bad defensive team, but still an AWESOME game.

The thing that is amazing is that we can still lose with two guys playing out of their minds and logging minutes for basically the entire game. Willie getting 34 minutes didn't hurt, either did Kapono shooting 1-6. Or EB not grabbing a rebound in 25 minutes. Unreal.

god damnit why is detroit so bad? they've lost like 11 straight games man they are pissing me off. after spending so much money last summer you would think they would be able to at least win a fucking game.

Brian, agree with your post 100%. EXCEPT:

"no team in the league can boast two perimeter players capable of across the board contributions on a nightly basis like these two, and one of them is only 19."

I'm not really an extensive stat guy, but in my opinion, Kidd and Nowitzki are as capable as AI9 and Jrue are of "across the board contributions." (They are worse on defense for sure, but better offensively)

2010:
Kidd: 10 pts 9 ast 6 reb 42% 3pt 1.8 stl -------Jrue: 8 pts 4 ast 3 reb 40% 3pt 1 stl
Dirk: 25pts 8 reb 39% 3pt 1 blk ------------AI9: 17 pts 7 reb 30% 3pt 1.7 stl

Jrue's per game stats are obviously skewed by his lack of minutes early in the year.
Again, I'm not too familiar with advanced stats. Do they compare better using them? It might make an interesting comparison.

But your point is well taken, we DO have something good to build on.

Dirk is not a perimeter player. He can shoot threes, but he operates the game similar to the way Larry Bird did where he gets his position at the high post or mid range area. He is not nearly a big stiff like Bargnani that can struggle backing down Willie Green and camps out there.

Those guys are both over 30 too and if Dallas offered me Kidd/Dirk for Iggy/Holiday I would not do that deal.

I love Dirk though and I feel he is the best big man in the league along with Dwight. Really under appreciated player.

Btw I was at the game today too and snuck down to section 114 or 115(I forget), but it was the section that had the group of 6 prepubescent high school kids who kept chanting LETS GO RAPTORS and DEFENSE when the Raptors were on defense. Man was that annoying, I had to let them have it on the way out.

I hope everyone realized that Iguodala is indeed a very special player after today's game. Playing through injury in a meaningless game and he had complete control of the game. Made plays on defense with his athletisicm and when Iggy ran the break I was always comfortable. I always had to cringe whenever he gave it up to Lou or willie though.

teddy green on Apr 4 at 6:16

Perhaps this specific Sixer fan segment would prefer to have Hedo Turkoglu instead of Iggy. Hedo is an overpaid bust who is a defensive liability, and basically does nothing better than Iggy, but has been known to hit his share of game winners.

AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 4 at 8:37

imagine if we really got star production out of brand's contract. if your core was bosh, AI, Jrue. then adding Wes johnson, Aldrich, or Udoh. now that would really be something to get excited about

All it takes for me to get excited is to have anyone other than Eddie Jordan or eddie's head coaching this team.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Alvin on Apr 4 at 10:50

you will get your wish soon. unfortunately there is a lot more work that needs to be done.

deepsixersuede on Apr 4 at 8:45

Brian, you forgot the 3rd member of our future defensive core, Sammy D.: how many other centers can cover a C.Bosh one night and a D.Howard another night. His quickness on Bosh!s last move was incredible, he may not be fundamentaly sound but he is very athletic.

so does anyone else think being called out by that scout in Sports Illustrated lit a fire under Iguodala? he seemed like he was on cruise control for a week or 2 before that.

Tom Moore on Apr 4 at 10:04

Link to my Sunday column on what the Sixers should do if they're fortunate enough to get the No. 1 overall pick and my All-NBA ballot picks:

Link to my blog:

Don't forget David Lee's 37 points, 20 boards, 10 assist game (I doubt you had him in your group capable). Probably the single best game this year.

Yep, missed Lee. I checked game logs for anyone I thought capable, he wasn't in the group.

Statman on Apr 4 at 11:07

Brian, thanks a lot for the writeup and for the additional analysis. It's good to know that somebody appreciates Iguodala fully among Sixer fandom.

I was actually surprised by how good his defensive stats were, because my lingering impression (besides the steals) was of him giving up a couple baskets to Bargnani in the post toward the end.

The concept of "possessions ended" got me to thinking about defensive play that can't be quantified easily. Suppose someone plays excellent defense against an opposing player who uses up the shot clock and then doesn't take a shot, instead passing it off to a teammate who takes and misses a rushed shot with the shot clock winding down. The initial defender who caused the "shot passed up" is the one who made the play but doesn't get the credit (except indirectly through lower points per minute, and probably lower PER, of the opposing player). It's kind of like the cornerback who rarely gets thrown on or the outfielder who rarely gets run on. On the Sixers now, only Iguodala and Jrue have the ability to make that type of shot-denying play (Dalembert doesn't deny shot attempts so much as defend them well once taken).

The flip side of "shots denied" is "easy shots allowed," and it's telling that the Sixers not only allow a high percentage of 3's but also a high number of 3's attempted. By contrast, the Spurs (a good defensive team) are leading the league for the 2nd year in a row in fewest opponent 3's attempted (and have been in the top 3 in the league since 2003).

AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 4 at 12:37

"On the defensive side of the ball, I counted a made shot by Iguodala's man, a missed shot by Iguodala's man, a foul by Iguodala, a steal by Iguodala and a blocked shot by Iguodala"

Wouldn't you also want to count AI's defensive rebounds from shots taken by players he is not guarding? he is ending those plays too, no?

Yeah, I actually did count d-boards, left them out of the description accidentally.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 13:15

well you cant count d-boards by shots missed by AI's man. because that will double count. they are already included in missed shots by AI's man

Took those out

eddies' heady's on Apr 4 at 13:32

Why such over-reaction saying Dre was 'ripped to shreds' in yesterday's game thread? I didn't see anyone not appreciating him on that level.

My very fair criticism of him was if you have a near 7' footer guarding you that far from the basket and you have been driving to the hoop with reckless abandon all day long with much success, yet you make the decision on your own to pull up from 30 feet out because 'he gave you an inch'? WTF?

That's the same as Tim Duncan getting the ball 3 feet from the hoop posted up with Earl Boykins guarding him and making a cross court kick-out and saying afterwards 'the passing lane opened up and I was just trying to make a play'.

My problem with his ego is when he keeps making comments like "I think to be one of the elite players,"... He speaks of having confidence in yourself but in the same token it's as if he doesn't, because he continually makes references 'to being' one of the elite, as if he readily knows he isn't.

If you are in fact that good, or possess that confidence and want to be on the ever elusive elite level; you think the game, not try to be the game.

I still don't see a problem with his ego. Anybody who rips him for "ego" issues is just reaching. Multiple teammates, past and present, talk about how hard he works and how much he shares the ball. Multiple coaches talk about wanting him to be more selfish. He knows he's not "elite" yet, because that comes with winning. So, what's your actual point? That he has confidence in himself yet is still ambitious?

Yeah, he took a bad shot, probably lost track of precisely where he was on the court when he had gotten his "airspace," not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, considering he had played 50 min virtually out of position most of the night with a bad foot.

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 14:51

"He knows he's not "elite" yet, because that comes with winning."

Exactly, which is part of my point. He's not shown himself to be a winner, or at least make a team one. His stat line from yesterday, while surely stellar, just ends up a futile effort because they didn't win the game. This ain't fantasy basketball, this is the best league in the world. He lost his Batman from the past couple years and now he looks every bit like a Robin. That's not bashing, that's the fervent truth.

"So, what's your actual point? That he has confidence in himself yet is still ambitious?"

My actual point is, sure it's great and admirable to have confidence and to strive to be better, but to not play to your strengths is that individual player's mindset. Hence his ego. To jack an ill-advised, not scripted three pointer from five feet behind the line with a taller, slower player guarding you when you are the WORST three pointer shooter on the entire team and have been wearing their ass out all day going to the hole, what else can it be?

Taking an inbounds pass and not, first, attacking, then second, not letting any other teammate touch the ball, then going to the absolute weakest part of your game, when it was no need for a quick shot and two-for-one if you were in fact going to attempt the tying three (which a better look clearly could have been found later in the clock), there's no need for the stab at Jordan/Kobe-like heroics.

Elite status does not make on one shot. Hence the ego again and wanting to be 'the game'.

What is with is "ego?"

"And if you don't attack there and get a quick two, or at worst get to the line, how else do you pin that type of macho shot attempt at anything other than ego? I mean, even his own peer Antoine Wright called him truthfully on it."

I'll flip that one around: How do you only pin that shot on ego? Why is that the only word that you use when he does something at the end of the game? When someone tries to tie the game all the time is it solely on ego? Who gives a shit what Antoine Wright says, he's not half the player Iguodala is. It was a stupid shot, no one is disputing that, but the act of just trying to make a three is just a player trying to tie the game up. Repeat: Just making a play.

"Hence his ego. To jack an ill-advised, not scripted three pointer from five feet behind the line with a taller, slower player guarding you when you are the WORST three pointer shooter on the entire team and have been wearing their ass out all day going to the hole, what else can it be?"

Ummm, Jamie Maggie said right before that play that Jordan drew up a play for Iguodala to shoot a three. It's not like he abandoned the play, he was supposed to be iso'd and shoot a three. He took a bad one, but you are acting like he just broke off and said I'm not going to do this. Also, he was 4-6 on the day at that point from three and one of his misses was in and out. I don't think he should make that a big part of his game, but it was fair to say he was feelin it.

How do you know what's going on his head too? I don't understand how you know he's trying "to be the game."

johnrosz reply to Rich on Apr 4 at 16:13

I'll give you an example of what I think rubs people the wrong way about Iggy... Other night against OKC, Iggy drives the lane, has Sammy cutting along the baseline. There's a miscommunication, Iggy throws it behind Sam, nearly impossible for Sam to make a play on. Iggy makes his stink face,gestures in disgust,turns around and starts talking to Durant as if to say "Look at the scrubs I have to play with"

He's a very good player, but I don't need the Jroll cockyness from a player on a team that just lost its 50th game.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 16:27

And the haters blow everything out of proportion like you're doing - it's sam - sam often fumbles a pass - he has terrible hands - he's awful at receiving entry passes - aside from alley oops in fact - When it comes to catching, sam is a scrub - and you have quite a different angle on the action than Iguodala does - so maybe it seemed to him like just another fumbled pass by Sam - another in a long line of them.

So maybe, just maybe, people can't psychologically analyze a guy by watching the game on tv - figure out what he's thinking just by watching the game...

Oh yeah, Jimmy Rollins has been cocky his entire career, no one cared before the phillies were contenders, but he's been cocky long before anyone noticed he was cocky.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 16:45

he was also a multiple time all star, gold glove player. I can decipher what a bad pass is from watching the game.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 16:49

You can't decipher how Iguodala sees the game compared to the over view you get (which is what I said)

I really don't give a crap about all star appearances or gold gloves - (Bobby Abreu has a gold glove - who cares what fans or writers vote on since they usually vote idiotically) - it also ignores the point that Rollins has been cocky for quite longer than most have been aware...it's obvious where you fall on the Iguodala scale, it's fine - you hate him - but you don't see the game the way he does...just remember that (and no you can't psychoanalyze him via a television picture)

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 17:08

I don't hate him, I felt like your comments on him yesterday were on point. At no point in his prime do I have confidence that the front office will be able to build a winner around him. This team is light years away from contending. I think they're fundamentally flawed in trying to build a team around a complimentary player...

This team is still average at best even with Phil Jackson at the helm, changes in both philosohy and personnel need to be made.

Why do you have to "build around" him anyway. You can build something with him. Not every great team is centered around a particular piece. Sometimes you can create something to be more than the sum of its parts. It happens in every sport.

johnrosz reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 19:18

Stefanski modeled this team around the Pistons philosophy though. They're the only team I can recall in the last 20 years without a true centerpiece. I don't know about you but I think its pretty lousy to model a team on the one team to buck a long standing trend...

This is a misnomer. The Lakers aren't built around Kobe anymore, they're built around their exceptional size and depth. The Celtics weren't built around one player. That's two of the past three champions. The Spurs are built around Duncan, the Heat were built around Shaq and Wade, I guess. Mostly they revolved around Shaq with Wade picking up the scraps.

This isn't baseball where you can target your guy and get him if you're just wiling to pay enough money. There's no one way to become successful. When you look at this roster, I think you have two players who are (or will be) very, very good players at their positions. Players who can make up for one-dimensional players at other positions. That's the starting point, and it's a very good starting point compared to a lot of other teams in the lottery.

The key is for Stefanski, or whoever takes over as GM, to realize that you have a nice starting point to build from. You don't have close to a finished product, and everyone else on the roster is expendable to fit in the other 6 pieces (assuming you need a strong top 8 to go deep into the playoffs) of the puzzle. If a couple of the guys on the roster (maybe Thad or Speights) fit, then great. If they don't, then you move them or let their contracts expire.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 19:52

. The Spurs are built around Duncan

Yeah but without guys like Manu and TP they wouldn't win...they had more than one star as well

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 20:03

Do you still think the Pistons model is attainable?
I actually see a little bit of Chauncey in Jrue in terms of size and potential for that all around game. Iguodala absolutely fits in that Pistons model.For me though, the Brand signing really screwed up any potential for that philosophy being a possibility. If we're still on board with that philosophy, ownership should do everything they can to get Larry Brown back here in the offseason.

IMO, that entirely depends on Speights(unless Brand finds the fountain of youth or something this offseason post EJ). If Speights could be become simply an average defender(not a plus, but not a minus) and the Sixers get a legit defensive anchor, then the model is back in play. Speights becomes the 'Sheed.' You still need the Rip Hamilton type of off-ball scorer(ironically, the closest thing we had to that was Korver, who we moved to get the piece that doesn't fit).

johnrosz reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 20:33

I think Brand kills our chances of contending any time in the next 3-4 years. Since I'm assuming we have no way of unloading brand, I've just resigned myself to the fact that we can move one of our more attractive pieces in Iggy. I don't think I see anything special out of Speights. I don't know if he has the bball IQ to be anything more than what he is. I really hope he proves me wrong.

We all seem to think a core starting with Jrue and Iggy could be solid...would you guys consider moving Speights/Thad/ and either this years or a future 1st to add a 3rd guy to the Jrue and Iggy core? (maybe for that off the ball scorer/defener thats been mentioned)

I would. Dre/Jrue are my pillars. They need to get a defensive anchor in the worst way

Okay, so what is your alternative, just keep losing & losing & losing until you find your perfect centerpiece?

Or, try to use a much more viable model that won the title against one of the teams of the decade while taking the other to 7 games?

I know which one I'd pick. And this team, especially with Jrue now in the picture, could get there. You have the possibility of an elite defensive team. You need a wing that complements Jrue & Dala(i.e. Shooter who defends). You also need a defensive anchor & post scorer.

Stefanski hoped Brand could be their Sheed(i.e. post scorer who plays D and boards), but that has not come to fruition. Could Speights, under a tougher, more demanding coach, get there?

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 19:28

I disagree. I, personally, would love to build something with him. But because of the contract they gave him we can't and never will be able to either, which is why I've stated it's time for him to go but mainly because of the contract and definitely not the player.

Moving the contract does nothing really. Its shuffling deck chairs. Brand's deal is the problem(barring a new CBA miracle). Sam's deal is gone soon, so is Willie's

There is no reason to trade Iguodala unless the move actually improves the team. Moving him for money's sake is fruitless

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 17:28

"It's like when you're in high school, the football team walks around like they own the fucking place, but they win 2 games a year..."

lol, this is fukkin hilarious.

Okay, so you're saying what "rubs" people the wrong way is interpretation and assumption? You're right. People see what they want to see and think what they want to think. Honestly, neither of us have any evidence to say that is how the situation went down, yet to consistent assume the worst or most negative outcome is something else

johnrosz reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 19:50

I'm just not happy with any of the players on this roster (except Jrue) I can't help but be cynical about a franchise thats been irrelevant for most of my lifetime. Believe me, I know what Iguodala brings to the court. His comments just seem curious to me at times. I don't think he sucks, and I don't "Hate" him...

What's curious to me is why more people don't crucify Elton Brand? Why do we heap so much more criticism on Iggy? You can make a case that if Elton is even half the player they expected him to be, Iguodala would be able to fill that complimentary role we all think he'd flourish in.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Apr 4 at 17:27

First and foremost, I like the guy and respect the shit out of his all-around game. With that said, how many excuses can the Iguodala apologists come up with?

It's like just because some 'like' the guy they will go to great lengths to defend or excuse him. I tend to take a more neutral, unbiased critical type of approach. I'm not going to gloss over a player's flaws just because I like him, just as I'm not going to ridicule a player just because I despise him.

So Antoine Wright's observant opinion is somehow invalidated because he isn't as good a player as Dre? Um, OK.

"It was a stupid shot, no one is disputing that, but the act of just trying to make a three is just a player trying to tie the game up. Repeat: Just making a play."

This is what I mean by outlandish apologies offered up. You're really going to sit here and have you and me believe that that 'stupid shot' (as you say) and the timing and placement of that shot is just a guy 'making a play'? Please. You put on the shoes of a coach and tell me you'd be happy with your pupil then.

Bad shot selection, failing to take advantage of a matchup in your favor (Dre vs Bosh 30 ft out? you know how to win that, as well as I), jacking a Willie-Green-esque-early-in-the-shot-clock jumper, no ball or player movement to get a better look within 24 seconds, no that's not 'Just making a play'.

How do I know what's going on in his head? Obviously, I don't. But his actions and subsequent words many times this year are way louder than any words I may utter.

So, after a terrific game while injured, he takes a bad shot after the coach calls the play for him to do so, mentions that elite players want to take that shot at the end and you decide to extrapolate some sort of narcissism that has NEVER been evident in his game all from your lazy-boy?

The man has an ego-less game, always has. 6 years, plus. His "actions" denote a selfless dedication to team play. That is what's evident.

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 19:19

Ok, you're the player then. If it's not ego to jack that potential game tying shot then you tell me why 'you' wouldn't take Chris Bosh's ass to the rack after you've been attacking all game. You've just received the inbounds pass on the perimeter and you're 30 feet from the hoop with a big man on you that you know can't check you. You're 5 feet behind the arc too now. As the player, why do 'you' pull the heroic attempt at the game tying shot that the coach has publicly stated he did not call for?

And you're right, his "actions" do denote a dedication to team play, but his end of game "actions" (and post game quotes numerous times) denote a desire to be 'the man'. Therefore, selfless - yes; ego-less - no.

First of all, every player should want to take the last shot, whenever possible. He should want the ball in his hands to make the game-winning play. That is not a "flaw" especially given the fact that he actually has the best end-of-game resume on the team and he also happens to be the best player on the team. If this team had a Kobe and he was still jacking up shots, you would have a point, but we don't.

As I said before, he took a bad shot. He rushed it, given the clock situation, hoping that if he hit it, they would be almost guaranteed a last shot even if TOR ran the clock down.

Not to mention the coach has a definitive history of CYA in his public remarks. Would I be surprised if he emphasized the need for a quick shot, especially an open three, which is what Maggio seemed to say post-TO? Not at all, especially since that play had almost no off-ball movement anyway.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 4 at 17:46

rswknight siad...."He knows he's not "elite" yet, because that comes with winning."

yet? Iguodala isnt going to get any better. the guy is really good and he will stay really good for 3 years (hopefully 4 or 5) or so until he loses his dominant athletism. the question is can we add the right pieces to complement him (or him to compliment the right players) to make this team a real contender. i want to build a team around Iguodala and Jrue but I dont realistically see us getting anyone better (to fill the #1 star role) until Brand is gone. pray Wes Johnson or Aldrich becomes a bonafide star, thats i think all we can really hope for.

You assume Dala cannot get any better. There are diversified subtleties he add to give his game more of a polish. For example, He can always refine his post game, which makes him a more viable half-court scoring option. I would love for him to develop a consistent floater, too.

Neither of those things are major changes, but both would improve him

Mike P. reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 18:08

Do you really think Sammie is going to add anything to his game at this point? It's like saying one day Iggy is going to have a good jumper.

Sam "could" add something. That's about internal drive motivation and willingness to put in the work, both of which Iguodala has shown consistently. Sammie, not so much.

Iguodala's jumper could become more consistent, given a better approach, possibly including changing his mechanics.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 18:12

the things you mentioned are subleties, as you describe. i agree with those minor points. but for the most part i think the biggest improvement possible will come from better complementary players. - taking away the need to be a #1 or #1.5 scoring option

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 4 at 18:13

adding subtle things to your game will not make anyone elite.

Sure they could, if the subtlety potentially acts as a force-multiplier. He is already an impact player on both ends, so it becomes about the domino effect.

As an example, adding a consistently viable postgame would raise his scoring threat level in the half-court, which could make his playmaking ability even more effective, which could significantly enhance his impact in half-court situations. If that happens, it would elevate his game and his profile toward that elite status he seeks.

That said, I would agree that he would be best served to fit his natural role as the multifaceted utility man, essentially the swiss army knife who picks and chooses his spots to impact the game in order to push the team to victories. That would mean having a more developed scoring threat on the team.

"Within the concept of a team and deviating from multiple calls of what type of shot was desired and taking it all in your own hands is just selfish."

I know you watched the game. Jamie Maggio said EJ was drawing up a play for a three-pointer for him. Why would she lie? If a play is drawn up for him, how is it selfish? Poor execution, but how is it selfish? They ran it for him to shoot a three. If he takes it to the rim as you (but not the coach!) seem to instead advocate, how is it any more selfish or having a big ego? If he goes to the rim and throws up a wild shot, it's not really different. I think you don't like the bad execution, which is fine. The ego and selfish comments are different though. Who do you want making a play there? Lou?

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Apr 4 at 22:12

What do you not understand?

If the coach called for a "quick two" or "a diagrammed three" (a created look, not the one he took) yet the player hoists up a rushed, foolish shot, how is that not selfish? Are you going to term it 'team oriented'?

And that's not poor execution, because he never attempted to execute what was called. He took it in his own hands and deviated from the calls. More like wrongful execution.

If he takes it to the rim, successful or wild shot, there is no selfishness or ego there because he would have been doing what was directed.

From what I understand, the call by your beloved coach was for Iguodala to take a three to tie the game. The fact that he took a 30-footer is on Iguodala, he should've gotten a better look at a three and could have. The fact that he didn't drive to the hole, though, is apparently on Eddie Jordan. He didn't want a drive to the hole, he wanted a three to tie, by Andre Iguodala.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 19:38

Now look, I know you don't like the guy but you can't just ignore EJ's comments that they wanted a "quick two or a diagrammed three". Wouldn't a "quick two" end up being your highest percentage look with a drive to the hole with Bosh on you? So if the coach called for a "quick two", how can you say that EJ didn't want 'a drive to the hole'? Come on.

And why Jamie Maggio is being given so much significance here is one-sided. I guess because her supposedly in-the-know hearing just supports the Dre apologists or excuse makers.

As opposed to Jordan apologist and excuse makers. Maggio was within earshot of the huddle, I believe. And reported it before Iguodala missed the three. Jordan made his excuses after the game, as usual.

Eddie Jordan is full of shit and has been all season long. He's taken every single opportunity to deflect blame on his players away from himself. You can keep swallowing the garbage he spews out if you like, I've had enough.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 20:31

That point has been ignored before and it'll be ignored again :)

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 22:22

I see things without turning a blind eye to others. Check out Dre's twitter and try not to swallow too much of that garbage. Or truth, as I've been preaching since yesterday. Is that enough validity to my controversial claims?

In a word, no. Again, eyewitness before the play directly contradicts what Jordan "spins" after the game. Not for the 1st time, either.

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 23:05

But there's similarities and no contradiction at all in EJ's post-game comments and Dre's twitter. And you choose to still ignore that? Take the blinders off man.

Wonder who will receive blame when the new coach is here next year...maybe those with blinders on will finally see then.

Okay, how many times has Eddie Jordan either a)used spin and/or lied outright to make himself look good or b) throw his players under the bus to protect himself from criticism?

You wanna believe a guy with a definitive history of spinning the truth in public to the media, be my guest.

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 22:18

Well if you don't believe what I'm saying then go check out Iguodala's twitter and look at his tweet from yesterday after the game then. Maybe he, himself, can finally convince you all.

And if he doesn't have the much debated "ego" then check out his feelings on taking matters into his own hands after the "....".

Yep, like I said. Apologists and apologies can cease now. That is the proof in the pudding.

Again, you're arguing in circles. Did Iguodala take a bad shot? Yes. Was he wrong to take that shot? Yes. Do I think that Jordan wanted him to take a quick three? Absolutely. Fits his M.O. to a tee.

So him taking that shot matches with "taking matters into ur hands." Doesn't imply disregarding the coach's "instruction." You're reading too deep

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 22:44

Arguing in circles? You're still arguing in opinion by saying "I think that Jordan...". I just provided you with fact from the man himself, that not only supports what the coach said post-game (which Dre seems to be feeling a need to respond and tweet to), but supports what I initially posed as opinion yesterday and today.

You attempt to give reasoning for him saying what he said but you conveniently leave out the ever-important ".... ha!!!". Couldn't be an ego could it?

Fact: Eddie Jordan consistently spins the truth to protect himself at all costs. Fact: Maggio stated what the plan was going to be, a quick three.

Which is what Iguodala did, albeit with poor execution.

So you're asking, who do I believe: a sideline reporter employed by the network WHO OWNS THE TEAM and whose job it is to overhear things ON THE SIDELINE and report it back faithfully and who says something IN ADVANCE or a Spinmeister whose MO is CYA first, last and always and who is "coaching" for his job? That's not even a hard choice.

JohnEMagee reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 22:58

Beliving the information that proves your point while ignoring anything that contradicts your point is a very FOX News kind of thing to do...

LOL. Agreed

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 23:36

Except you misrepresented one of your two facts. Maggio did not say a "quick three", she just said "a three", hence why EJ quoted they wanted a "quick two or DIAGRAMMED THREE". The excuses continue no matter the facts presented....

It's human nature that if you dislike something or someone you never side with it, no matter the evidence.

Evidence? Again, you're ignoring an entire season of listening to EJ spin his way and pass the buck. That's evidence you're "blindly" disregarding. Jordan is the definition of an unreliable witness, but you are taking his words as "gospel"

eddies' heady's reply to rswknight on Apr 4 at 23:48

The history of this season has no bearing on this isolated incident. I choose to take EJ's comments in correlation with Iguodala's tweet as the collective "gospel". Now you're beginning with the 'spin'.

I don't want to argue about this anymore because you choose to take Jordan's side and that's fine. I believe that it's wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. Jordan will be gone in a few weeks so there will be no need to argue about this anymore.

I will say that almost everybody but you will choose to associate the word 'ego' with Eddie Jordan 1000 times before Andre Iguodala.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Apr 4 at 23:13

In summation, I choose to take the factual side. Not Jordan's. I don't allow my dislikes to get in the way of hard truths.

Your argument is absolutely hilarious.

I have been and will continue to be a big fan of AI9 and have defended him. But, personally, I have a problem w/ his remarks after the game. I understand why (he gets very little love from the average, ignorant fan here in Philly). I think that is what upsets many fans after that "shot". If he had not made that comment about being an elite player, it would have been a disgrace to "roast" AI9 but that comment opened the door.

Thankfully our coach left Green and Lou on the court with AI9 and Jrue or we would have won that game. I would really enjoy watching AI9 and Jrue play with some "real" NBA players.

Mike P. on Apr 4 at 17:09

It was against the raptors. Case closed.

And Sammie also has baby hands. I'd be pissed if I was Iggy too. Him and Jrue could average 10 assists a game if they had people who could catch the damn ball.

If we can get Wesley Johnson at the very least we'd have a very nice threesome to begin building around in Jrue, Wes, and Iggy. Andre needs that go to scorer that opponent have to respect next to him to be fully realized in his player abilities.

johnrosz on Apr 4 at 20:21

uhhh...holy shit donovan just got traded to the Skins...

I love the Eagles, but I hope the Skins absolutely abuse us this season. Fucking appalling.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 20:35

Kolb is going to throw 30 TDs in those two games against the skins.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:11

Why? You don't mean that

Yeah, I mean it. There comes a point where you just can't stand the teams you root for anymore, usually it comes with watching every one of your favorite players (and the best players they've ever had) unceremoniously dumped.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:27

It's easier (for me) to root for the front of the jersey - Football more than most - it's a business - a hard cap and soft contracts make things happen - eagles weren't going to extend him - so trading him now was the best way to maximize his value...i mean he doesn't have the rings but this is the eqvuialent of the favre to jets trade - better hope they are right and that kolb is aaron rogers and ready.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:35

unceremoniously dumped? If anything the organization did right by Donovan trading him to washington. In all likelyhood they could've gotten a larger haul from Oakland or Buffalo

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 21:41

Well - if they could have done better - then it's a stupid trade - but the redskins second is better than oaklnads - and who knows what rumors are true or not...a 2nd 3rd and 4th from a craptastic team for a guy they might for only one year is a pretty good haul :)

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 21:44

Oh i agree with you there but I don't think its fair to say they unceremoniously dumped him. This was a classy move, the town just hates the eagles front office no matter what they do. Aside from Dawkins, this organization has been right about just about every guy they've let go

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 21:48

I don't think they were wrong about dawkins - they didn't want to give him a long term deal - no idea how he's going to play next year - it's a numbers game some time - you can't afford to keep everyone you want

I'm not saying I'm rational in this, but watching guys for their entire career shipped out of town is like getting kicked in the balls, and no one kicks harder than the Sixers and the Eagles.

It makes me even angrier when Philly "fans" say things to me like, "He's never been more than a B- quarterback. Good riddance."

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 22:38

That's just the way it is these days - except you know in baseball where teams don't have to worry about how much money they spend (if they don't want to) - 'career' players just don't happen any more - i mean no offense to donovan - but favre didn't finish in green bay cause he outlived his welcome - maybe peyton finishes in indy - but that's going to be the outlier - not the standard - it's just the way it is

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 21:59

Yeah, i wasn't up in arms when Dawk left. Like you said, football is a cutthroat business. Shelf lives of productive players are short in the NFL. Giving out contracts based on past accolades and "veteran presence" can be very dangerous in the NFL

Sorry, I didn't realize being shipped to Washington was a good thing for a QB. My bad.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:51

And whether or not is good for mcnabb or not isn't relevant as I see it - I'm an eagles fan, if the trade is good for the eagles, it's what matters.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:54

It depends on whether or not you think Shannahan can turn things around there. Cutler and Elway didn't seem to mind playing under Shannahan.

Statman reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:21

I love the Eagles, but I hope the Skins absolutely abuse us this season.

Kind of ironic that news of McNabb's trade breaks under a post titled "unappreciated" ...

Yep. I thought the same thing.

On a brighter note, who do we root for in the Knicks/Clippers game? I'm thinking Knicks, right?

Mike P. reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 21:09

I need David Lee to get under 2 blocks and I win the finals of my fantasy league.

Either that or the much more unreasonable under 10 boards.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Mike P. on Apr 4 at 21:40

speaking of fantasy bball, brian, any chance of a Depressed Fan league next season? with all the bickering in here, it will likely be a super competive league. imagine trying to negotiate a trade with John McGee

We've had some form of a league the past two seasons, but nothing big. Maybe next year we'll do it right, with updates on the blog etc.

The Greek reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 23:04

Count me in for the fantasy league, I got 13 assists out of my boy Blatche in the finals today.

The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:10

Phillies fans thanks for Chan ho park, he killed us tonight.

I can't believe that you guys traded Mcnab within the division, and the only team that you might have been better then.

This is the last time that DM walked out to the field in an eagles jersey

Rich reply to The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:18

Only team we might have been better then? While I agree they are not a Super Bowl contender, the Giants were an absolute disgrace last year. Why they would be better then the Eagles is beyond me. That defense is an embarrasment.

johnrosz reply to The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:25

May i ask how someone becomes a Sixers/Yankees fan? Pick a city dude

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:34

Open your mind 'dude'

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 23:41

Just a personal belief of mine. Don't really need to be mocked for saying dude, its pretty commonly used in society, open your mind dude.

My reasons are in the first post I wrote here, toward the end.

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:47

People have different methods of picking there teams, as a 6 year old should I have taken out a map and figured out the closest teams?

That said, cities don't mean shit to me. If the Sixers moved to Canada I would still be a Sixers fan, would you?

johnrosz reply to The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:56

I would definitely not be a Sixers fan any longer. I'd hate the franchise for bailing on my city, and wouldn't want them to get one minute of my attention.

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:58

I hear ya but would you just stop watching basketball?

johnrosz reply to The Greek on Apr 5 at 0:54

Not on a nightly basis. I'm sure I'd watch the playoffs in their entirety. I'd just become a bigger college hoops fan, always been into Temple bball ever since I was a little kid. This little discussion got me reminded of a pretty cool documentry about the demise of the Sonics. check it out if you're bored.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:48

It's a flat world - people become fans of all sorts of teams for whatever reason wherever they live - there's more red sox fans living in tampa than there are rays fans...(ever watch a red sox game in tampa?)...more cubs fans showed up for a playoff game in atlanta than braves fans.

Open your mind a bit

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 5 at 0:01

Agreed there are many different paths to becoming a fan, sometimes the team picks you.

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:35

I picked my teams when I was 6 years old, and have rooted for the same 3 teams in baseball, football, and basketball my whole life.

You must think that I'm a giant fan, I fukn hate the giants! I see them having a rebound year this year though, there defense has never been anywhere near as bad as last season and they got next to nothing out of Jacobs.

johnrosz reply to The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:43

I hear you, I'm always suspicious of "yankee fans" but thats legit

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Apr 4 at 23:51

Understood but by being a Sixers fan I think that scraps anyone from being a bandwagon fan in nature. We would all be lakers fan right now.

JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 23:50

A sixers fan who is also a yankees fan is still better than a sixers fan who is also a cowboys fan

:D

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 4 at 23:53

No Comment!

The Greek reply to The Greek on Apr 4 at 23:56

But I will say this, anyone who unappreciated Mcnabb will realize how great he was/is real soon.

johnrosz on Apr 5 at 0:00

Knicks won

The Greek reply to johnrosz on Apr 5 at 0:05

Who the hell is earl barron? Where do the knicks find these guys?

So is LeBron selfish for taking that three today against the Celtics? Was it his monster ego?

Rich reply to Brian on Apr 5 at 1:42

Some don't understand the difference between dumb and selfish. I still never got an answer on how he's deviating from the game plan and taking it into his own hands when the play is drawn up for him.

Apparently when Eddie Jordan says something it's a fact. Whenever someone else says something it's a lie.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Apr 5 at 10:06

You got your answer. At approximately 10:12 pm.

Jeff reply to Brian on Apr 5 at 8:55

If you heard Brown's post game comments and read Lebron's twitter account, these "facts" alone point to Lebron sucking completely and the coach being infinitely awe-inspiring.

JohnEMagee on Apr 5 at 11:31

As we all know, andray bltache is a completely unappreciated blossoming superstar - here's some video showing what a great guy and team mate he is.

Check Out Super Andray