Last, Best Chance

Looking at the schedule, 7th would be great.

I'll show my age with some Simon and Garfunkel:

Whoah God only knows, God makes his plan
The information's unavailable to the mortal man
We're workin' our jobs, collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away

What is this all about?

Charlie V's Twitter:

"Let's put it like this: I'd rather not say anything because I don't want to get fined," and later, "I respect Joe Dumars so much that I will keep my mouth shut. Just needed to vent a little."

Daye's Twitter:

"Something happened to me today that won't ever happen again and I'm just venting right now, but I'm twisted mad and going to be ready for our game."

Also from CV:

"It just only got worse today. I have never experienced, in my five years, what I have experienced this year."

Joe reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 10:03

Probably has to do with whether he is playing/starting some of the games closing out the season.

Maybe they are planning on sitting him on 2nd games of back to backs or maybe they are sitting him tonight.

Detroit is pretty obviously throwing games.

My guess, he is a DNP-CD tonight. Daye as well. We will see.

Is there any way it was directly said they have to lose this game to the players? That would be my first thought, though I'm not really sure Charlie V. would care about that. Probably has to be something to do w/ minutes for him.

So are you guys saying that we will see some overt tanking tonight? Becasue this is a key game to lose for Detroit. They are in a tight race for lottery position.

This is a key game for both teams. If the Sixers win this, they have zero chance at a top-four pick and there's a really, really good chance the Clippers and Knicks pass us. They also have an outside chance at improving if they lose this game. 2 games separating them from three teams with 5 left to play (depending on Sacto, if they win, it would one game).

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 11:17

I believe even if Detroit was playing to win - they'd lose.

The sixers will probably win 4 of their last games - dependent upon Orlando's desire in that last game

Tray reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 13:22

Charlie V has this weird ethic that occasionally pokes out at times. I wouldn't be surprised if being asked to lose is what it's about.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Apr 6 at 13:27

Like to see that ethic poke out and have him give back some of the money he and his cohort ben gordon have been stealing this year

Can't imagine they were told anything about trying to lose. That is not P.C.

But I expect he was told about wanting to find more minutes for Jerebco, or something in regards to limitting his minutes.

Tray reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 14:48

Well it's not just about Charlie's minutes because Daye is also citing something that's never ever happened before in his basketball life.

Tom Moore on Apr 6 at 9:41

Link to my story on Jordan explaining the Sixers' troubles (and link to blog on right of main page):

This will be the most wins for a team under its first year with EJ.

Congratulations.

"Look at Larry Brown in Charlotte. It took them a year to understand what he wanted to do."

I think that the reason for Charlotte's improvement isn't because it took Larry Brown a year to become a good coach again but because they finally got some scoring. Is this Eddie taking another shot at the FO? "it took [the Charlotte FO] a year to understand what he wanted to do [so don't blame me when im trying to coach this team that was put together]"

Yes because Eddie Jordan and Larry Brown are almost exactly the same coach (sarcasm.)

Jake reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 11:34

I'm sure if you ask Eddie he thinks he's got just the slightest edge over LB

JohnEMagee reply to Jake on Apr 6 at 11:18

Eddie is trying to emulate Larry Brown in the cover my ass it's really not my fault department, but much like his coaching ability, Eddi'es ability to shift blame is much worse than Browns

Another reason to hate brace face.

"Sixers rookie guard Jrue Holiday will wear a wireless microphone from warmups through the end of the game tonight. His comments will be broadcast throughout the game and on "Sixers Postgame Live" on Comcast SportsNet. This is the first time Comcast SportsNet has miked up a Sixers player during a regular-season game."

hmmn, are they saying he's going to have a live mic that you can listen to online through the entire game? That would be awesome.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 11:40

Not how i read it - comcast sportsnet is a tv network isn't it? It'll be edited and cut so any of the good interesting stuff is removed in my opinion.

At this point I think I'd rather hear Iguodala, since I expect he is more vocal. But it will be interesting to see if Jrue directs things out there, And I'd like to hear the "direction" he is receiving from EJ and McKie.

I hope there is a link for a live audio feed. If so, I might actually watch the game live instead of using the DVR to skip commercials. But my guess is they will only provide us with some clips.

What player would you most want to hear mic'd?

Kobe?
Nash?
KG (you can already hear his profanity.)

I'd love to have an internal thought reader on Willie Green every time he gets the ball on the offensive end of the floor. I think it would go something like this:

"Jumper, jumper, jumper, jumper, jumper, jumper. OK, one dribble to my right and then I can take a contested jumper! Yeah!!!"

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 11:49

Dribble dribble dribble....dribble dribble dribble....dribble to the left, dribble to the right, oh look 5 seconds on the shot clock, force up some sort of shot.

Name that player?

That's tough. Could be Lou or Willie.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 11:57

I felt it was more lou - hence all the dribbling :)

Maybe i should have also written - avoid contact as much as possible - foul shots are for pussies :)

He does have back spasms.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:01

Sadly I got my one dimensional bench players backwards - willie is the one who seems allergic to free throws more than lou :)

JohnEMagee reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 6 at 11:58

Sorry - got that backwards - that's for willie - my bad :)

No, that would be Thad. Lou is great at drawing contact and getting to the line. He just is not a PG.

Sorry, missed that you had corrected yourself.

Thad: Time for my spin move. And time to go left.

Also, what is he thinking when he is an off the ball defender against a 3pt shooter?

"Which way did he go? Which way did he go? Which way did he go?"

or

"Help, help, help, help."

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:24

i will love him and hug him and call him george.

I'm sure he's not thinking about rebounds.

While doing this is funny it's also depressing when you think about it - so many guys focused on shooting and little else?

I laugh so as not to cry.

Here's another one,

"I got it, I got it, I got it! ... Damn, so close. Why are my arms so short? I could've had that rebound."

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:30

"You know, I never thought it could be worse than in Toronto"

"I'm a shooter, that's what they keep telling me, so I'm going to shoot. Wait, here comes the ball, I better shoot it!"

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:34

"I should have stayed in LA - much lower expectations, much better weather, much hotter groupies"

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 12:23

Recieve the ball in the low post - shoot
recieve the ball in the high post - shoot
receive the ball - shoot
Dribble? No
Pass? No
Worry about rebounds? No
Play Defense? No
Goofy Smile? Yes
Get fat when hurt? Yes

Shoot, shoot, shoot, mmmm donuts.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 12:37

Gives a whole new meaning to 'pulled a homer'

Doh... I guess I should have passed that one.

Man those other guys sure can score, better tell our guys they have to shoot more to keep up... lick braces.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 12:38

I made the NBA finals as a player
I taught this 19 year old kid how to make NBA 3 pointers
How come i have to be an assistant to this idiot

EJ made the Finals as a player and probably is more than willing to take credit for anything Jrue does.

"Should I use the cross over, go behind my back or try the risky pass... no- I'll just shoot my sweet jumper"

Saddest part- This could be Iguodala or Sam :)

"Hey, look at that kid working diligently on his jumper, let me see if I can fuck up his form."

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:45

"Serves them right, I sucked as a head coach, they never should have let me back in the doors"

EJ?
Lynam?
Ayers?

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 13:03

I was thinking ayers when i wrote it :)

Due to the damage he's done to thad

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 12:45

How come I can't dribble, everyone else in the nba makes it look easy - heck the kids at the park make it look easy...same with this catching thing...why are my hands so small

"I didn't get this job because I'm prettier than Dei, I'm talented, damnit."

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 12:51

Sadly that could be magglio or ed pinckney - or mitch williams on MLB network for god sakes

Dei is not an attractive woman

I knew I never should have agreed to work on commission.

-upper deck popcorn vender

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 6 at 12:49

"Playing like an old man has it's perks... Should I go for that board? Nahhhh."

This looks like the perfect time to dribble into traffic an unleash a deadly jump pass. I have to remember to teach this move to Jrue.

"Down three, 20 seconds left, gotta hoist here, gotta boost my ego, because I'm freakin selfish"

I show them who is and who is not a star in this league.

"The jokes on you guys, I'll be sitting on a beach cashing checks this time next season while you'll still be trying to undo all my damage. Hell, I may even get braces for the bottom!"

"Wow, you are seriously going to pay me to play basketball? Really? You sure? Niiccceee"

"Its good to be tall."

BTW Brian, I was looking back at your post titled "Only one Bullet"...

And my instant reaction is that it should be directed right between the eyes. if they have only one shot, they should use iut to kill the franchise and take out as high a management person as possible (either ES or Mr. Snider.)

Of course I am not a violent man, so a pink slip or golden parachute would serve just as nicely.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 13:10

The nba has to get rid of guaranteed contracts, not just in players but in coaches too...i understand that much like all salary cap rules - they save ownership from their own stupidity - but too many teams are paying too many folk not to work.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I actually think my company should start handing out guaranteed contracts, just like the NBA. Then I could completely fuck up my job until they decided to let me go, and they'd have to pay out the rest of the contract. The NBA has it right.

Alvin reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 19:55

Amen brother.

Tom Moore on Apr 6 at 14:22

As you may already know, there is a significant difference in odds of getting into the top three with the seventh-worst record vs. sixth-worst.

7th: 4.3% shot at No. 1, 4.93 at 2, 5.77 at 3;

6th: 7.5% at 1, 8.33 at 2, 9.37 at 3.

Yeah, the odds of moving up to 6th are long even with a loss tonight, but if they win they effectively drop to zero.

And who's thinking this:

"Man, covering this team is a worse assignment than covering root canals. Looks like I picked the wrong day to give up pain killers."

...Thought I'd throw another Airplane reference in there for you, Tom.

Tom Moore reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 15:14

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue ...

Yes, it's not nearly as enjoyable as, say, covering the 2000-01 team that went to the NBA Finals.

Dealing with a coach who isn't especially forthcoming or quotable, as well as a locker room typically without good quotes, makes it a little tough.

Tom, you've been around the team for a long time. Is this the worst season in terms of expectations (realistic or not) and results? I can't think of anyone who predicted the Sixers would be more than a game our two out of the playoffs, at worst. Now they're fighting for 4th-worst record in the league.

I was only 12, but I was very dismayed in '84 when they lost to the Bucks in the first round. After that they sort of started dismantling the team (Ruland trade a year later.)

Those were some high expectations back then.

Statman reply to tk76 on Apr 6 at 17:07

83-84 was rough, but it was the Nets they lost to, in a weird series where the road team won all five games. They had a better year in 84-85 (Barkley's rookie year), winning 58 games and making the conference finals before losing to the Celtics 4-1. I still have bitter memories of the 5th game, when the Sixers had the ball trailing by two in the waning moments, and Bird raked Andrew Toney across the forearm to "steal" the ball. The team won 54 games in 85-86 but Moses got hurt before the playoffs and they lost to the Bucks in 7 -- 113-112 in the 7th game, Erving missing an open jumper on the last play. I can just imagine if the Internet were around then, how much criticism the Doctor would have gotten from the Philly faithful. Then came the fateful Moses trade before the '86 draft, and the rest was history ...

Jordan is quotable, but in a discomforting kind of way.

Woah.. just found out McNabb was traded

So is this the real scoop? And who is Jason Cole to be the man who knows all?

Some quotes:

"After being told last month that the Eagles would not deal him to NFC East-rival Washington, McNabb essentially forced Philadelphia’s hand by refusing to talk with any of the other teams that had expressed interest in recent weeks."

...

"McNabb, who is in the final year of his deal, made this happen by making it clear he wasn’t going anywhere else but Washington. When the Buffalo Bills expressed interest – and even were willing to give McNabb a contract extension – he passed on the offer. When the Oakland Raiders sniffed around and showed willingness to trade for the quarterback without an extension, McNabb indicated to the Eagles through his associates that he’d retire.

“He has plenty of money,” the source close to McNabb said. “He’s not doing anything he doesn’t want to do.”"

....

"Coach Andy Reid called the shots on the roster, until most recently, when that power increasingly shifted to Banner, a clever contract negotiator who has become expert in locking up players to long-term deals and keeping the Eagles competitive.

Banner
The problem is that Banner’s semi-Moneyball techniques haven’t produced a championship. Neither has McNabb, but he has gotten the Eagles to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl. Was that success more McNabb or Banner?

Reid believed it was McNabb and had voiced his desire for the Eagles to keep him, even if it cost them Kolb. “Andy thinks Kolb is going to be really good, maybe great. But he knows Donovan is great and probably will be for three or four years,” said a source close to Reid."

If Reid really wanted to keep him and this is where we wound up, he's lost pretty much all the power on personnel decisions, hasn't he?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 16:43

I put the yahoo reliability somehwere around that of peter vescey or chad ford

And it seems the 'final four' effect applies to coaches as well cause it seems the butlery coach now has NBA viability

Agree. That sounds fishy.

Hollinger mentions JaRuele in his Insider All-Defensive Team column:

"Jrue Holiday of Philadelphia (+0.92) could be positively awesome in another year or two; for now we just need to flag him as one to watch for the future."

JohnEMagee on Apr 6 at 16:50

Just because it makes me laugh and we need laughs

LeBron movie update
Writer-director Malcolm D. Lee ("Soul Men," "Undercover Brother") will direct "Fantasy Basketball Camp," a comedy set to star LeBron James, the Hollywood Reporter said.
"The story centers on five men who come to Las Vegas to live out their fantasy by attending the LeBron James Adult Basketball Camp, only to end up dragging James into their various life issues," THR said.
Peter Steinfeld ("21," "Be Cool") is writing a new draft of the script, which was originally penned by Hollywood writing vets Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel.

What the fuck? I can't believe they're rewriting a script written by Babaloo Mandel. That guy's a comedic genius.

Stick to hoops, LeBron.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 16:59

Brian - you could be kidding - but mandel has been pretty sptty for the past 15 years or so (yes i know writers, you all should know writers too, good actors can only elevate a bad script so far, good scripts make bad actors look good...the writer is the most important person in making a film - contrary to popular opinion - in my opinion - a shit script will always make a shit movie)

I just checked out his imdb and found that stephen somers will now ruin ANOTHER piece of my child hood by directing Magic Kingdom for sale...sold written by mandel...

Sigh.

Checked his body of work, doesn't scream talent to me. He did, however, seem to write just about every Michael Keaton movie.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 6 at 17:13

Go back to the 80s, city slickers (the first one) parenthood, a league of their own - for a while he wrote some really good movies.

Yeah, I went all the way back. Two movies on there I liked, Parenthood and for some reason multiplicity. So nothing in the past 14 years. League of their own and City Slickers weren't my cup of tea.

Slow news day- even for a game day.

I'm counting on some huge stories as soon as the season is over. Time for another of those "culture changes."