The Luxury Tax May Not Be (as big of) An Issue

JohnEMagee on Apr 8 at 11:11

So as of now - even at 54 million - the sixers ARE over the luxury tax - so it is an issue - just not as big as expected and easier to get out from under...but not like they suddenly have the ability to even sign a guy to the lower exception let alone the mid level.

Good thing they got jodie meeks though

Meeks doesn't matter, he's just a minimum contract which they'd need anyway to fill out the roster. He probably sucks more than a guy they could get for the same price out of the d-league, or even draft with the #35 pick in the fucking draft, but salary-wise, he doesn't matter.

You're right, I should've said it isn't as big of an issue, wrote the headline before I did the math.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 11:41

vHe probably sucks more than a guy they could get for the same price out of the d-league, or even draft with the #35 pick in the fucking draft

That was kind of my point i should have been more clear.

The problem isn't the luxury tax per se as I see it - the problem is that the sixers see it as a 'hard cap' number...being under the tax matters more than building the best roster possible (in my opinion) no matter what nonsense Stefanski spins beforehand so when they add no one he can spin it afterwards...so even if getting rid of smith gets them 'just under' the tax after the draft pick - there's no wiggle room whatsoever

Someone smarter than me can answer this - when's the last time a team won the NBA title that didn't pay the luxury tax?

Spurs. They're paying this season, but I think this is the first year.

The "hard cap" thing is interesting. If they're going to fire Jordan, which you have to believe they are, then I'm convinced the spending is going to be determined by the coach they get to replace him. If it's a big name, JVG, maybe Collins, then I think the purse strings are opened and they'll go over the lux tax to put a winner on the floor.

If it's a college coach or an assistant, then I think they've abandoned the win now philosophy and we'll see trades and thrifty spending. Also probably depends on whether Stefanski is here or not.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 11:49

Even if they open the purses they got the MLE and the low level exception and a draft pick and TONS of holes to fill.

With all these teams having massive cap space this year - can the sixers even realisticallY BUILD a winner with those limited options - assuming the new coach requires you keep Jrue, Andre, Sam?

I'm not sure it's possible

And I think that's a problem in hiring a 'good' coach

I'm not sure how much you can do with the MLE, but you have Smith, Kapono, Green and Dalembert as expiring contracts. You could package and one or two of them to take on long contracts to "improve" the team, and there's enough cash tied up there that you could take more short term money back as well.

Even w/out cap space, there are opportunities for this team to make moves, and major improvements, if they're willing to pay the lux tax. It's just a matter of whether you have the right guy making those calls, the right coach, and you can get the right players in the moves.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 11:59

but you have Smith, Kapono, Green and Dalembert as expiring contracts.

Well fine with 3 of those - but trading Dalembert creates an immediate need for a center who is league average that doesn't already exist...so you better get something good for him (even long term)

I'd like to be optimistic about it - but it's a corporation - answerable to stock holders - and the bottom line - and they're already losing money (I'm sure) on this team so the mandate will be to cut losses.

Just like the 'recovery' every talks about cause earnings are improving - earnings are improving because companies are streamlining and cutting fat - so it's great for companies - but jobs aren't being created (sorry - census jobs don't count) - so it's not a real recovery cause the folk aren't finding jobs...that's what I see comcast more worried about - and that includes the coach hire - a big name is going to want BIG money to come coach here - and with the nets guy possibly throwing out 10 mil + for a guy with no experience in the nba - that could screw ALL the teams

The only way you can move Dalembert is if you draft his replacement in this draft, and believe he's going to be ready immediately (or you're willing to throw him into the fire immediately).

Say you get the #3 pick, take Favors. Then turn around and trade Sammy for a two (Monta Ellis, Ben Gordon, Jason Richardson, someone like that).

Those are the type of moves I can see happening, if they go down the "win now" road.

I agree about the economy in general, etc. I think we're going to know pretty quickly what direction the team is headed. The new coach should be a clear indication of what ownership is thinking, as far as money is concerned.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 12:18

You think Derrick Favors is:
a. a Sam replacement?
b. ready now?

Most places project him as a PF in the NBA?

When I talk about replacing Sammy, I mostly mean the rebounding and shot blocking, position is probably going to depend on how he measures/how big he plays. And yeah, if I got the #3 pick and took Favors, I'd plan on him starting from the get-go.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 12:28

Would you start him with Elton or in place of? Now i'm just asking questions cuase i curiios to see what you're thinking

Not really sure. If Brand is what he's been this season, and we don't move Dalembert, I'd start Favors over EB. If Brand bounces back, it would be a tougher decision and probably would mean Sam either has to accept a role off the bench or be traded.

The main reason I want Favors is Jrue. I think Jrue is the type of PG who can make a big into an all star by feeding him off pick-and-rolls, finding him for lobs, getting him the ball in the post where he needs it, when he needs it. Favors has an under-developed offensive game, but the things he excels at are the things Jrue can really take advantage of.

We really could have a sick combo of PG/big and Favors would be 19 all season, Jrue 20. I want the clock to start ticking on them developing together immediately, I don't want him coming off the bench and begging Lou or Willie for the ball.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 12:39

You know - that increased salary cap / tax limit actually does have a 'negative' affect as I see it. One of willie or lou probably would have been traded this off season for tax space (i think) and now it's just a matter of cutting the useless Jason Smith...

Until I read a story saying Willie did not opt out of the final year of his contract, I'm holding out hope.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 12:46

You know - Lucy Liu never officially told me she wouldn't sleep with me - but that doens't mean i held out hope she would :)

Some things you just know dude :)

We can atleast dream that Willie will opt out and just maybe he will think Brian's suggestions make sense!

Old School SixerFan reply to DeanH on Apr 8 at 19:05

I'd rather dream about Lucy Liu.

Old School SixerFan reply to Brian on Apr 8 at 19:58

I'm surprised you would put Monta Ellis on your list of desirable SG's. He's not a good shot, but is a volume shooter. He made ESPN's "All Gunner" Team - as the captain.

That wasn't a list of desirable, as much as a list of obtainable SGs.

It still seems to me that it will be hard to get under the LT figure. .6+2=2.6 over. So, a team would need to trade a player to a team that has cap space and wants to take on extra salary. We would have to trade someone with value for someone to take on one of our salaries. No one is going to take Green or Kapono off our hands at the money they are making.

Who the player is doesn't matter as much when you're talking about expiring contracts, it's the fact that the money comes off the books at the end of the season that makes them valuable. Not 100% sure how the potential lockout is going to factor into the trade market next season. Should be interesting.