A Productive Night Off

Here's hoping for nothing.

Any chance we can trade down?

JohnEMagee reply to Jeff on Apr 9 at 10:39

Any chance we can trade down?

I'm sure there is - but why - you just reduce your pool of available talent and have a bunch of holes

holeplug on Apr 9 at 8:39

The only one they have a decent chance to win is Orlando since they will just be playing their scrubs to get some extra rest for the playoffs that sat/sun. Time for Meeks/Kapono/Smith to start playing 40 min a night.

Joe reply to holeplug on Apr 9 at 10:06

Sadly Smith would foul out at 25 minutes if given the chance.

I think the Sixers have a good shot in all of the next 4 games. I'd love to see them lose out, but when has this Sixer team done anything to make us happy?

What is the tiebreaker if the Sixers/Sacto/Detroit all end up with the same record? The lottery odds are even, correct? But past that?

JohnEMagee reply to Tom on Apr 9 at 10:39

They split the odds evenly - if none pop in the top 3 i believe a coin flip decides the order of picking..

(personally i'd have a mini lottery if none pop into the top 3 - adds some intrigue)

Yep, this is right. They do the coin flip prior to the lottery, I believe. It's also used to decide who gets the extra ping pong ball if it's an odd number (two-team tie) or an even number (three-team tie).

Kate Fagan is reporting Francisco Elson will be available for tonight's game, and will probably see some action. I hope he sucks as much as Smith.

Not sure I agree with that statement. IF he looks better than Smith, that should (when do the sixers ever do what they should, you say?) put Smith out to pasture. I have NEVER seen a worse tall player in many years.

Can we cut Smith? Hoopshype indicates that his contract next year is guaranteed, but I always though rookies only have 3 years guaranteed.

The main benefit of dumping Smith is that a vet minimum replacement would not count against the tax.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Apr 9 at 12:08

Brian seems to think the sixers can let smith go after this season (see his luxury tax post from yesterddy)

No, I think they picked up his option for next season already. After next season, though, they can cut just cut him loose instead of making a qualifying offer.

Yeah, here's the story. What I was saying is that Smith is essentially an expiring contract ($2.1M), and they should be able to move that to a team w/ cap space if they need to trim some salary.

Because the salary is under $3M, they could trade him to someone for a conditional 2nd-round pick (with some kind of absurd protections that expire after a couple years if need be) and they could send along enough cash to pay his contract as well. Make sense?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 9 at 12:32

Ok - i get it now

Honestly in terms of expiring deals i believe the 'perception' would give willie green more value :)

Elson's gone after this season, I don't think his play means anything one way or the other.

Statman reply to DeanH on Apr 9 at 13:07

I have NEVER seen a worse tall player in many years.

Well, there was Bob Thornton, who played a major role on the 89-90 Sixers. More recently, Todd MacCulloch was probably less athletic than Jason Smith but had a decent low post game.

JohnEMagee reply to Statman on Apr 9 at 13:13

Todd Macullouch was a better player than Jason Smith - he didn't say unathletic - he just said terrible player

A Thunder Bob sighting!

eddies' heady's on Apr 9 at 12:12

Tell me again, did we really defeat MIL and ATL a few weeks back? aarrrrggggghhhhh...........!

eddies' heady's on Apr 9 at 12:15

I actually was hoping the Clippers won that game last night. I just don't think it's possible to catch the Kings. But it is likely that we catch and pass the Clips though. (and maybe the Knicks too)

I'm pretty sure the Knicks will pick up at least one more win (they have WAS left on the sched). We'd have to finish 3-1 to catch them, if that's the case. LAC is the team that really worries me. I've seen them a couple times in the past week and they just look like the worst basketball team I've ever seen.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Apr 9 at 12:30

So going by your observations, we want LAC to beat GSW then right? Because chances are slim that we catch GS?

Even when I'm being pessimistic, I'm a hopeless optimist. If the Sixers take care of their own business and lose out, it doesn't matter what the Clippers do, so if the Sixers haven't won a game yet when the Clips play the Warriors, I'm rooting for the Warriors on the outside shot we can catch them too. If the Sixers win tonight, the game turns into rooting hard for the Clippers and the Knicks the rest of the way.

When exactly is the draft lottery?

Mid-late May, I believe. Can't seem to find an exact date. Last year it was May 19th.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 9 at 14:15

Over at LB someone said they found the 18th as the date

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 9 at 16:47

It looks as if all the major prospects will be declaring. Just looked at LB site and saw this

jemagee
joined May 13, 2008
posts 119
comments 19714

Attaboy John, good luck on reaching 20,000 posts before your 2 year anniversary. You poppa must be proud.

You're better than that, aren't you?

Let's just stick to hoops, or what passes for hoops in this city these days, huh.

The Greek reply to Brian on Apr 9 at 17:42

Your right Brian, just figured I would give him a taste of his own medicine. Just hoops from now on.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Apr 9 at 18:49

Yes because until now you've been the soul of courtesy haven't you?

Enough. Hoops.