What A Difference A Year Makes

Who is worse? Eddie Jordan at coaching or Stephen A. Smith at journalism?

but there was a funny quote in the comments section:

"Of course he's happy to be gone. The captain of the Titantic just fled the ship with a sack of money under each arm. He may not have built the ship but he sure did steer it into the iceberg."

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to stan on Apr 18 at 11:02

its nice to have the 2 years of money, but i cant imagine Eddie jordan is happy. the guy got run out of town, embarrassed, and will never coach again. the guy wants to be a coach and has failed miserably. no happiness in that

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Apr 18 at 14:40

Eddie Jordan will coach again...I'll bet you

FKD215 reply to stan on Apr 18 at 15:25

Stephen A. also made a comment about other players not wanting to play with Brand. He doesn't support this claim in any way, though. Is this true? Has anyone else seen or heard of any evidence of this?

Nope, not a whit. But Stephen A sometimes is prone to exaggeration, to put it mildly

johnrosz reply to stan on Apr 18 at 15:53

Just read the article, what a disgrace. Keep in mind that he watched maybe 5 games this season.

Perhaps it's my draft focus, but those fake playoff teams (that only exist because of the awfulness of the bottom half of the eastern conference) don't do anything for me. Sure, for those 5 days it's exciting, but watching a "playoff team" that you know has no legitimate shot loses its excitement quickly. I'll be excited about the Sixers for a solid two months now.

deepsixersuede reply to Derek Bodner on Apr 18 at 10:24

I tend to get to worrying this time of year whether we can ever get "tough enough" to compete at this level. The physicalness seems to go up a notch and Elton, in theory, wouldv!e helped in that department. That is why I hope Iggy can be kept in a rebuild, he seems to bring a toughness that is needed this time of year.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Apr 18 at 14:41

You don't have to be 'tough enough' you have to be talented enough, and even with Andre Miller they weren't talented enough to win a round

I agree there is nothing in sports like the intensity of playoff basketball and it does suck watching as a fan know your team in not only home but in turmoil. I hope this time next year I am thinking about getting ready to go to a home playoff game.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to ROB_STC on Apr 18 at 11:04

im almost relieved i can just enjoy basketball and dont have to think about the stinkiness of the sixers./ really looking forward to the Lake/OKC series.

I don't understand why sixers fans still want to re-sign this clown.

According to a report by the Philadelphia Inquirer, Samuel Dalembert frustrated teammates all season long by being late and unprepared heading into practice.
Eddie Jordan was given much of the blame by those expressing frustration for not fining him, and this is the most public criticism that Sammy has received, as he has been largely viewed as a good guy because of his efforts in Haiti. He needs to get his act together to perform at the NBA level.

Sam is Sam. I don't think his warts are news or being covered up. His play on the court this season was improved, but he is still Sam. And he will not be changing much going forward.

The Sixers problem is less Sam's personality and play. It is more the fact that they have no other bigs on the roster who are plus defenders, rebounders or shot-blockers. Sam may hurt you in when he is on the floor, but this team is really going to be in a world of hurt when Sam is gone unless they find a viable replacement.

Tk, Understood that until we get a shotblocker rebounder to replace him we will struggle but even with this cancerous shitbag we will struggle. I don't want this guy within 1 mile of Jrue unless they are playing on opposite teams. You can't win this this guy, he is a career loser who deserve to be wearing the read and white uniform of the clippers.

The good news is thatit seems as if we will be drafting his replacement this season.

Either way Sam will be gone after next season. I doubt he would agree to re-sign with the Sixers even if they try and ink him.

But I would wait until the deadline. Since his trade-kicker is pro-rated, he will likely have some good value by that point.

Yes he is our best rebounder and interior defender but the guy is a cancer in the locker room and a pure loser on the court. I like that Stefanski identified our biggest need in the draft being in the front court. I took that as, "we need to replace the toxic dumbo in the middle."

Here lies Sammy D, the thief of Philidelphia. You can't win with him.

And good luck winning with the remaining bigs. Sam is amongst the best defensive rebounders in basketball. And after Sam their next best is Speighst. The guf between them is enormous.

IIRC,
Def reb%:
Sam 30
Speighst:20
Brand:16
Smith: 14
Thad:12

Like I said, we will find his replacement. Were losers with him, So I'll take our chances without him.

I agree that finding a replacement at center should be their top priority. Unfortunately they also need a replacement at SG and PF. And it is much harder to play defense without a center than those other 2 positions.

And there is only one player in the draft who could step in a replace Sam right away- and that guy has more warts than Sam. All of the other bigs in the draft are just as likely to end up being PF's as centers.

I respect your opinion but in my opinion this team needs to be gutted and built around Jrue. These guys together are a band of losers and major changes need to be made.

I definitely think blowing it up has to be considered, depending on who they get in the draft. But as of right now Sam is the 3rd best player on the Sixers, by a wide margin. The team's frontcourt is a mess, and he is the strongest part.

I'm not a Dalembert fan. I don't see him part of the future. But if they deal him this summer and go with their existing players + raw rookie (not Cousins) they will (IMO) be a 50+ loss team next year.

As for Sam's personality, he is not enough of a leader to be a cancer. He does not divide a locker room. From what I have read he is largely ignored and seen as a goofy guy who is not taken that seriously.

Agreed. Cancer is a strong word, because it seemed that the frustration came from the lack of discipline up top(a complaint leveled against EJ in DC too). Sam is Sam.

It is like when Rodman was with the Bulls. Dennis didn't have a curfew and when other players complained to Phil Jackson, his response was that if the other players would grab 20 boards the next game, they could stay out all night too.

Sam does perform at a level higher then the other bigs on the team, period. But he needs a strong hand to rein him in.

Old School SixerFan reply to The Greek on Apr 18 at 16:53

How do you make the jump from his teammates being annoyed about his lateness to him being "a cancer in the locker room"? I had heard that Sammy is well liked by his teammates.

Exactly. Sam is viewed like a Mascot/Jester, not really taken seriously.

JohnEMagee reply to rswknight on Apr 18 at 17:00

Or - per usual - very little is known about what goes on in the locker room and is extrapolated by people to fit their already existing view

eddies' heady's on Apr 18 at 11:13

Ironically had the same exact feelings all damn day yesterday. Can this post be titled 'get it all out'?

Yesterday just made me have even more disdain for Stefanski. Watching our former shooter last night (KK) that was signed long term was painful. And to think he was traded to create more time for a guy that doesn't rebound as a pup and probably won't ever as a man (EJ got that one right). We stay stuck with Willie G's contract that was signed at the same time and then stupidly go and hand out a long term deal to Lou. Great.

Utah signs an undrafted free agent in Matthews and he starts (rather adequately at that), while we trade picks that could be used to find a gem like Matthews for fodder like Meeks. GSW signs a baller from the D-League in Reggie Williams while we re-sign a past his prime Iverson. Surprised? Not really, considering who's running this ship.

Off the rant now.... I agree with Derek that these weak ass playoff teams are what is so screwed up about this league and the NBA model. But what stings even more is, we were and would be as currently constructed one of those 'fake' teams.

Somebody please don't forget to light the fuse...

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 18 at 16:01

My brother had an interesting point when we were watching that Utah game. He looks at me and goes "Did you ever think that Kyle Korver would be a more effective NBA player than Elton Brand?" Sad.....

eddies' heady's reply to johnrosz on Apr 18 at 16:21

Please don't rub it in man.... :)

I checked Phillyarena rotations to see how Jrue-Iguodala-Thad fared, and it said they have never played PG/SG/SF together. Is that true?

I have about four games left to input to my rotation chart. On my to do list for this week. It wouldn't surprise me, though.

Last summer, if you told me Jrue could shoot, I would have said we were set starting those 3 at PG/SG/SF for the next 5+ years. But our confidence in all areas of Thad's game has really fallen off of the cliff, hasn't it.

Given the Sixers have only one pick and not cap space... they really should draft a big and actually force Thad to sink or swim at SF next year. But we have been asking for that since 2008.

of course the other option is to blow up the roster, but that is harder to speculate on without knowing the realistic options.

That's terribly out of date. I'll post when it's fully up to date. May not happen until after the draft, though.

I was not sure.

In your opinion, could those three work? IMO if we do not get Wes Johnson, they should at least start out the year with those 3 starting.

Yeah. Feb. 26th was the last date rotations were entered.

I'm working on a way to do that programatically, so next year Brian and I don't have to waste as much time.

Once I can do that, I can probably plug in a a play by play and should be able to get "the sixers were outrebounded by X % when Dalembert and Speights played on the court at the same time".

but again, most of that's not going to happen until after the draft.

eddies' heady's on Apr 18 at 11:37

From Fagan: "That blame isn't solely Jordan's. Those near the team also place a portion on the players themselves, pointing toward a lack of internal leadership, which allowed the season to crumble. The chances of trading for that on-court leader or drafting him or signing him during free agency are minimal."

And another: "If the players don't have a leader among them, hire one."

That Andre Iguodala and his stat-stuffing and playing through a little pain sure is a leader, huh?

Just don't ridicule Kate the way the Heady's has been mocked this year for saying these exact same things.

Leader? Please.

Egotistical prima donna? Bingo.

The sooner he goes, the better off this team will be on it's lengthy path back to respectability. Must I act like Dre now and pipe the haters down with the double hand motion. That's leading isn't it? lol

This team sucks. A bunch of flawed one dimesional players led by a lone wolf wanabee superstar who's never been an all star, but is paid like a superstar, and thus thinks he is a super star. i rather have Tayshaun Prince than Iggy and on a championship team Iggy would have a Tayshaun Prince role.

JohnEMagee reply to Omar on Apr 18 at 15:05

So on the sixers you'd hate tayshaun prince as much as you hate iguodala - irrationally and with lots of unnecessary hyperbole?

deepsixersuede on Apr 18 at 14:57

Tk, I believe Aldrich can step in and produce next year and will be there at 6; but my problem with that is can we take him and pass on Johnson? Center is the more important position and we have Thad and Iggy? Derek, is this the best big man draft in a long while? How would you stack it all-time?

johnrosz reply to deepsixersuede on Apr 18 at 16:05

Do you really want to spend the 6th pick on Greg Ostertag 2.0? Maybe Aldrich can be a solid player, but with the 6th pick I want to take a chance on a guy with a higher ceiling. No?

deepsixersuede reply to johnrosz on Apr 18 at 16:16

I think a better Pryzbilla is more fitting. He will defend the paint and get 8 to 10 rebounds, I believe. And Dwight and Lopez aren!t leaving our conference anytime too soon.

Much closer to Przy than Ostertag

He might have went to Kansas like Ostertag but he seems more like Eric Montross to me. Just as scary for us...

Can Aldrich be Chris Kaman? Kaman is a top ten center in the NBA...

JohnEMagee reply to Hugo on Apr 18 at 16:17

I believe Chris Kaman is more athletic than Cole ALdrich

And that's kind of sad.

If the sixers get the sixth pick there are MUCH better long term options than Cole Aldrich

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 18 at 17:26

Other than Johnson, who may be off the board, I don!t see guys head and shoulders over him, as far as this teams needs. Though I hope you are right and someone jumps out at our scouts during workouts. His skills, shotblocking, rebounding, good screens and above average passer may not be flashy but needed here for sure.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Apr 18 at 17:35

as far as this teams needs

It's not about team needs - not immediate team needs - the team has too many - i feel everyone focused on aldrich is ignoring the fact that the sixers aren't even close to being a serious title contender...and there's too much looking at college numbers and not taking into account age, natural ability, etc....

The sixers have many needs - they are only 'set' at 2 positions for the long term - so it's not like they have to worry much about who they draft in terms of where they fit - they have lots of holes - draft the best player available - the best long term player available - not the guy who is going to contribute the fastest, but the guy who will contribute the most over his career.

You know, kind of like taking Jrue Holiday over Ty Lawson

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 18 at 17:51

That!s why I said I hope they find that guy.

eddies' heady's reply to deepsixersuede on Apr 18 at 19:23

Wouldn't you take Udoh or Monroe over Aldrich if Johnson is gone by then? I certainly would. I'd take Montiejunas over Aldrich there too.

deepsixersuede reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 18 at 19:54

I like Montiejunis and Monroe, Udoh disappeared a couple of times I watched him but a trade down for him plus something works. This could end up similar to the year we took Spieghts. I wanted R.Lopez, though he had less star potential than Marreese. It comes down to trying to get that star and if we stay at 6 I don!t know if that star will be there.

I like Montiejunis because he has a chance to be a 20 ppg. scorer and may be able to run the floor at the 4 and 5.And if he stays in Europe this year we can hopefully play our young guys this year, lose enough games and get a high pick next year.

I like Monroe because he is smart, made major improvements in effort and consistancy this year, and would sure be fun to watch at the 5 after years of Sam.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 18 at 20:16

kaman is a good player. im not sure if i would say he is more athletic. what has aldrich done (or not done ) that makes him not athletic. he is certainly coordinated. besides the claim of being slow laterally, whuch im not sure how much slower laterally he is than a typical center. maybe not as fast as a pure athlete like sammy, but he isnt slow like uwe blab. is he not as quick laterally as brook lopez ?

If Stefanski stays or Brown comes back, expect them to try to move Iguodala to break up this underachieving group. Iguodala has more left in his tank and is far more athletic than Brand and better suited to being a No. 2 or No. 3 option on a good team than No. 1 on a bad club.

Iguodala and Thaddeus Young are natural small forwards, so the Sixers are eventually going to have to choose between the two of them. Though Young, who is still on his rookie contract, had an up-and-down season, he might be the one the Sixers choose moving forward

I pulled some stats (at LB).

Def reb rate for this year:

Sam: 30.7%. #3 in NBA. #22 all time best season. his career 25.4% puts him top 15 career (stats go back 30+ years.) Better than Shaq

Speights: 19.7%, #60. Not bad.

Brand: 14.7%, #145... ouch

Smith: 12.1... wow.

Trade Iggy,
I rather have Young at SF surrounded by a better supporting cast than Iggy surrounded by these one dimensional bums.

JohnEMagee reply to dean on Apr 18 at 23:06

One dimensional bums

Isn't that what Thad seems to be?

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Apr 19 at 0:10

Why keep Iggy around if the team is years away from competing anyway? Thad has a chance to be a far more efficient offensive player than Iggy, hasn't had the opportunity to play his natural position very much. Don't know if its fair to close the book on him yet.

We really don't have a whole lot of time left to evaluate Thad. He's a restricted free agent after next season, meaning the Sixers could be forced to match an offer for him from another team. Best-case, they keep him for his qualifying offer and then he's unrestricted the following summer. Point being, he isn't going to be cheap for long, especially not if suddenly develops this year.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 19 at 0:21

Isn't that a worth while risk to take if you've got Kapono, Dalembert, Green all coming off the books after next year and hopefully some type of cap relief in an Iggy trade? I don't see how he's gonna get anything more than what Lou ended up making.

If you want to put a garbage team on the floor for the foreseeable future, then yes. That's a good idea.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 19 at 1:17

I still think Thad has a shot to be a good player. I wouldn't extend him without seeing some big steps. I thik he can be a viable piece for a good squad in 3 or 4 years. I don't see how Iggy fits here, they aren't going to become a quality team overnight. You are just wasting the prime years of one of your only tradable commodities. If the goal is to sneak into the playoffs and get eliminated in the 1st round every year then by all means keep Iguodala.

So you're writing off the next 4-6 years, then? Or you think Iguodala's going to hit some kind of wall before he turns 30?

johnrosz reply to Brian on Apr 19 at 1:29

Is he going to be the same athlete at 30 that he is now? I'd say its a pretty big part of his overall game wouldn't you? I might be writing off the next2 or 3 years,but I'm looking to trade Iggy under the assumption that Thad is going to put it all together soon. Blow it all up unless Van Gundy or a coach with similar clout comes walking through the door...In that case, I'm with you on building around Jrue and Iggy.

It's a pretty outrageous assumption that Thad is ever going to put it together to the point where he's even close to the player Iguodala is now, or the player he'll be when he's 30.

It's simply a difference of opinion. Some people want to start over from square one, I don't think it's necessary. Iguodala's 26, I think he's got at least 5 good years left in him, possibly more. This team can be rebuilt in that time, and it's going to be very, very difficult to replace everything he brings. If you can move him for a legitimate piece, you consider it. I've never argued differently. I just think this feeling that you have to move him is the wrong way to look at things.

Okay, that is a ridiculous comparison. Why can't you have Dala surrounded by a better team?

johnrosz on Apr 19 at 0:18

Just saw Eskin on the weekly sports show, says tha the team doesn't trust Stefanski to conduct the coaching search. It's about 50/50 whether he stays or goes. The franchise isn't interested in any assistants or unproven guys, he said its a short list of candidates. Van Gundy, Collins, Sam Mills(please no) and Mike Woodson (yikes)...Also said they'd love Larry Brown to come back but only to coach, not as GM.

I'd be more than happy to give Van Gundy full control of this mess, GM, president, coach. I don't care what he wants to do, hes the right guy assuming he has any interest in actually coming here.

noah reply to johnrosz on Apr 19 at 2:46

why is that "yikes!" next to Mike Woodson's name? for several years in a row he has both maximized his talent and developed his young players. I can't imagine a better candidate for the Sixers job.

Mike P. reply to johnrosz on Apr 19 at 7:21

No assistants and unproven guys makes me go something something.

Why do we need a proven guy so badly? Doug Collins is proven?

*Sigh*

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Apr 19 at 10:45

It's eskin - why believe anything?

Wow! Andre Miller just put up 31 pts, 8 assists, and 5 boards for the Blazers! Can we take a moment to appreciate that we spent the last couple of years watching perhaps the most underrated player to ever don an NBA jersey? Not to say that letting him go wasn't the right move (long-term), but I just want to see this guy appreciated. He is un-fucking-believable.

Rich reply to noah on Apr 19 at 3:14

Totally agree. I actually agreed with letting him go, but he still has that amazing ability to lead undermanned teams to victories. I really appreciated him as a player here. I love playoff basketball, and I hope we can get back here soon. Nothing beats it, especially when you start winning a round or two.

Agreed on Miller.

Funny fact, though. He's never been out of the first round. 0 for 5 coming into this season.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that us not resigning Andre Miller is better for us long term? Andre Miller could have taken Holiday under his wing and mentored him the way Chauncey Billups in Denver is mentoring backup PG Ty Lawson. We would kill teams with a Miller/Hoilday PG tandem.

Hindsight is 20-20, but we should have kept Andre Miller and not resigned Lou Williams who is now an overpaid third guard.

Stefanski is a horrible when it comes to signing free agents. If Tony DiLeo handles the draft, then why do we keep Stefanski around? The bloated pig is dead weight

If Miller was on the team Jrue probably would've played about 1,000 fewer minutes than he did, and he never would've gotten into a comfort zone of knowing he wasn't going to be yanked if he made one bad play. I think the PT and confidence going forward was probably worth more than a year under Miller, or two.

Now if Stefanski had hired a legitimate NBA coach who would've spent the season building up Jrue and teaching solid defensive principles, that would've made a much bigger difference to Jrue's development than playing under Miller. As it stands now, he's going to have to unlearn all of Jordan's garbage coaching.

Agree, its more on Stefanski. He sold present the team as a playoff team on the rise while dumping his PG.

If you want to have a rebuilding year where you acclimate a new 19 year PG then you have to manage expectations and talk about rebuilding. This should have been done once they decided to let Miller walk.

EJ was horrible, but last year was going to be about rebuilding no matter who the coach was.

Yep, it sure didn't help that you had GM and coach alike acting like their jobs depended on wins and losses. Especially when you've got an idiot coach who resorts to lineups with Kapono at the four when he's trying to win games.

We would have never have had a chance to land the sixth pick with Andre Miller. But if Stefanki trades the pick for a verteran, then that makes it harder to justify not resigning Miller...

eddies' heady's on Apr 19 at 9:53

Andre Miller = Andre Iguodala's Batman.

But remember all the hype on here that Miller didn't make that much of a difference and we basically had the 'same team' back. Poor Robin was exposed this year.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Apr 19 at 10:46

Andre MIller is no ones batman...it's ludicrous to ascribe that kind of 'metaphorical moniker' to him which equates to super star...it's yet another way to take a shot at Iguodala while elevating a guy above what he's able to actually do.

It's worse than lamenting reggie evans not being on the sixers because he's 'so good defensively'