Lou's Gold

I think the fact it's clear as a day that Jrue is a far better defender than Lou. The thing that is interesting to me is that despite guarding a lesser talent Lou posted decent defensive numbers (he is going to guard the worst perimeter threat anyway). 0.96 points per play is something i can happily live with from my worst defender in the lineup. Brian don't you think Lou may actually be worth getting 30min per night for his offensive production? From these numbers he actually looks halfway decent. Can he even improve on that with a better system and a better coach?

Jrue has better physical tools to defend and he was only in his rookie season, where as Lou has five years of experience.
Of the upper-echelon players you mentioned being guarded by Jrue, ten were SGs/SF on 28 plays, where as Lou guarded a total of nine isolations from three SG/SF's (I'm counting Evans as a SG since he played 37% of his minutes at that position as opposed to 28% at PG).
This tells me that Jrue is responsible for taking the bigger player, and often times, much bigger player. This is a defensive liability for the team and thus, I'm even further convinced that Lou should be limited to a bench role.

Old School SixerFan on Apr 26 at 7:13

I don't have stats to back it up, but that's why I like a backcourt of Jrue and Andre. That pair take away easy points for opponents guards. If Thad can learn to guard (given proper coaching & motivation) they may be able to win a lot of games mainly because they can guard the perimeter in a league where the perimeter is increasingly important.

deepsixersuede on Apr 26 at 7:17

Whatever Lou!s role is going forward, I like the fact his numbers weren!t as bad as I thought they would be. He is a dangerous, unguardable player at times and fits our style of play so unless we get value back lets keep him.

deepsixersuede on Apr 26 at 7:22

Brian, with your new toy I would love to see how Lou stacked up offensively against the top shooting guards in the league. We all seem to value Thad more than Lou but he made major strides across the board offensively and whether Iggy/Lou or Thad/Iggy works better at the 3/2 is still debateable.

Yup, context is the key in defensive stats, and it's very tough to measure.

Looking at that, how impressive is Iguodala's 14.6 opponents PER?

Do you think last season Iguodala returned to being a top perimeter defender? Because I think he had taken a step back the prior season as a result of having to work so hard on offense.

Could relying more on Jrue to create things help Iguodala on both ends? Leading to better shot selection and more left in the tank to give on the defensive end?

I ask because most players at 26 are at their peak- so Iguodala might be seen as not having much more upside... But Iguodala could become much more effective and efficient if he was utilized in a role that played to hos strengths.

Statman reply to tk76 on Apr 26 at 11:56

Actually, I thought Iguodala was even better defensively in 08-09, and the stats back it up (his 13.0 PER against was top 5 in the league, as I recall). This past year, his man scored a lot on open 3's as he would rotate and try to recover, in their crazy defensive scheme. I don't recall that happening as much last year.

It was in 07-08 and 06-07 that his defensive numbers were less impressive (though he did set a career high in steals in 07-08).

It's flat out mind - blowing, especially considering he is guarding the best opposing player unless he is a PF/C.

Unbelievably impressive. He basically took the best player on every team and held them to below-league average production. He also guarded 4 positions pretty regularly, depending on who the best player on the other team was. Very impressive numbers.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Apr 26 at 15:49

Haven't you been paying attention he's a gorssly over paid sucky player

The strength of Jrue-Dala is you can hide the defensive weaknesses of the 3rd backcourt player (Lou/Carney/Kapono/Young.) It gives the team some flexibility at that spot, and maybe helps a talented rookie make an easier transition to the pro game (Johnson?)

In terms of man defense, there is no way to consistently shut down top offensive players. All you can do is disrupt them and make them work. Ideally, you can break the other team's flow enough to hurt their overall efficiency.

For example, if the opponent always has to send their big to set picks (and you defend it properly) you have a better chance of controlling the boards. You also turn teammates into spectators if the best player has to spend extra time in breakdown mode. After watching all of those years of AI, stars are at their best when they are scoring quickly and within an offense- break that rhythm and you can win even if the still "get theirs."

btw, I LOVE the picture of Lou in his defensive stance. cracks me up every time I see him do it.

I've never seen a player whose def stance looks like his back went out once he crosses half court. Just kills me

Does anyone know if these kind of stats can be obtained from a site?

[quote]One interesting stat that might be of some indication how good a defender a player is, is the difference between the guarded players average PER and the PER that they posted on the particular player. For example Iggy's opponents PER is 14.6. what is their average PER against any defender during the course of the season? How much has Iggy actually disrupted their play.
Does anyone know if these kind of stats can be obtained from a site?[/quote]

dMult (basketball prospectus) attempts to do that.

Thx this is very helpful indeed!!!

Tom Moore on Apr 26 at 15:57

Williams is a third guard capable of getting hot and scoring points off the bench.