Sixers to Meet With Avery Johnson

The Mavericks under Carlisle haven't been any better in the playoffs(who I do think is a good coach).

If I was interviewing him, I would look to see what he learned from his playoff losses.

Kind of a side point, but it annoys me that Johnson tried to get his players to go to church more and that religion played such a large role in his interactions with the team. Ramming religion down a person's throat is not the best way to foster chemistry.

Also, the fact that he refused to interview last year because he thought he should be handed the job rubs me the wrong way. Just a blatant display of arrogance.

These are both peripheral points, and if he is the best coach among the candidates then hire him, but I am definitely not a fan of his character.

On Hoops Hype from SI.

Rick Carlisle has begun to face speculation about his future should Dallas lose in the opening round. But Cuban praised Carlisle in comparison to his predecessor, Avery Johnson.

"Where Avery had problems that led to his dimsissal was he stopped listening to people,'' Cuban said. "Avery was such a hard worker -- he worked too hard. He thought he could figure it all out himself, which was kind of how his [playing] career was: I will work hard enough to get it done. But he stopped listening. Rick is not like that -- he has [assistants] Dwane [Casey] and Terry [Stotts] and he listens to them. That has been the biggest change.''

In hiring Casey and Stotts, Carlisle was not bringing in old friends to work with him -- these were merit hires viewed as the best candidates to help him. "He was looking for the best people he could find,'' Cuban said. "That's why there's so much turnover [among head coaches] -- everybody wants to have 'their guys' [as assistants] and that creates a lot of problems.''

Charlie Ace reply to sfw on May 3 at 11:17

Agree on both points. Not sure how peripheral they are though. Humility goes a long way, even when you've achieved a lot, which Avery hasn't. I just think you always come off better when you're humble, even if you're LeBron James. I love flamboyance and playing the star as much as anybody, but when you're asking for a job....it's a different thing.

I think Collins has achieved more than Avery Johnson. He's had many more challenges as a coach. Avery was groomed as the coach in waiting; Collins was the coach-in-waiting-to-be-axed. Before you say, "He got fired for a reason," do you really think he didn't do a good job in Chicago? The way he blended Pippen in with Jordan and Oakley was what got them on their way.

Anyway, it's not going to be Collins, and it looks like it might be Avery, so I say no. In his defense, I don't think you can judge him by the '06 Finals - that was a travesty of officiating. Those fouls Wade was getting? You can't coach against that. It's one series I can definitely say was decided by a team being forced out of its game by things beyond its control. LA/Portland in 2000 also. (The '77 Finals were similar, but I think it was more Maurice Lucas in that case than the fight or the officiating.)

There's no question, Avery would grind on these players. I can see a lot of players on this team being put off by AJ, especially since he doesn't have the same sort of gravitas as Larry Brown.

A kick in the pants would be a good thing, but I don't think a player like Samuel Dalembert has the mental fortitude to go a whole season with AJ without ending up in his doghouse. Or traded. Or both.

Am I too critical, or is this team intentionally trying to find every guy who is a good coach but wrong for this particular job.

Much like good players that you don't want on your team... AJ is a quality coach who annoys the heck out of me- but apparently he would not approve of me using such foul language.

C'mon brian,I mean you always say you want a defence-first coach and AJ is one of the best when it comes to defence.Yes,there are some problems with him,but who doesn't have problems ? AJ is one of the best coaches we can get right now. I would like to see thibedeu (or whatever the hell his name is) but I don't see it happening.And also,I would love to see guys like Jrue and Iguodala under AJ.And moreover,I think he can get the best of guys like Thad & Speights.There will be a lot of problems with Dalembert and possibly Brand,but I'm fine with this.

The pros just don't outweigh the cons for me with Avery. I'd rather go unknown than him.

johnrosz on Apr 30 at 14:47

Avery Johnson was on 97.5 around this time last year and discussed the Sixers roster. I don't remember a whole lot from it but I do recall him saying that Iguodala cannot play the 2. Wish I could find a transcript from the interview but no luck

There are definite pros with Avery Johnson. He's smart, a hard worker and defensive-minded. Regarding the playoff failures, I've recently had a change of heart on the issue. AJ got outcoached by Pat Riley(& the refs) and Don Nelson(Most wins ever and his mentor). The bottomline is that he got beaten by two of the best ever, neither time did he actually have the best player on the floor in the series(Wade & Davis both outplayed Dirk) and the most recent failure featured the mother of all bad matchups as well as a historically accomplished coach with intimate knowledge of Avery himself and his entire roster. Call it a perfect storm scenario, very unlikely to be repeated.

On the flip side, he was the fastest-ever coach to 100 wins, & a former Coach of the Year with the cache of having coached a team to the Finals in the West while also having won a ring under another all-time coach.

I go back to Pat Croce's recent interview on 97.5. He talked about getting someone with Winning in their DNA. AJ is a proven winner, and if given the choice from their current list of candidates, he'd be near the top of the list for me.

He is used to winning... meet these Sixers and he is going to blow a gasket.

As I said above, another example of good coach but not the right coach for this team.

Possibly. I'd have to hear his thoughts on the roster before I can say for sure. I would say his resume earns him at least an interview

JohnEMagee on Apr 30 at 16:43

If you can find it - listen to avery johnsons 'evaluation' of the sixers roster after last season (and his own evaluation of his awesomeness) and decide if that doesn't change your mind - it was on 950 am

I believe his exact quote was that he thought Iguodala should play the four.

I remember him saying Dala could play the 3 & 4, depending on matchups. Wish I could find that interview again

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Apr 30 at 21:55

It's not just that - I believe he had great praise for one willie green and louis williams as point guard...

JohnEMagee on Apr 30 at 16:43

Wait, you take stuff like that seriously?

When did they find the gene for winning?

Sure, as opposed to somebody like Eddie Jordan, who had mediocrity in his blood. I'd rather have someone who has done it, if given the choice. He's more accomplished then Collins & most of the other retreads(excluding Brown & arguably Van Gundy).

IMO, it is about pedigree and performance for this choice.
AJ has a ring as a player and a Western Conference title as a coach. Thibodeau has 2 Finals appearances with one ring as a Deputy. Budenholzer has 4 rings as a Deputy. I'd also look at Turner as well with his multiple playoff appearances working as the lead asst under a majorly underrated coach in Adelman; yhat Rockets/Lakers series should've gotten him at least a call last year.

Mike P reply to rswknight on Apr 30 at 18:14

I read in the paper that Budenholzer is someone the Sixers could be looking at and got giddy.

We could do worse than Avery, but I want to give Budenholzer or Turner a chance.

Same with Casey.

Oh certainly. I am not saying he's my slam dunk, I'm saying his resume earns the right to hear him out. Collins, Bud, Turner & Thibodeau are also on my list. I want a defensive-minded taskmaster who is a capable teacher.

By the way, Jrue got 5 second-team all rookie votes, and one first team vote. All 30 head coaches voted, I'm wondering who voted him first team.

Tom Moore on Apr 30 at 23:03

Didn't hear back from Dwane Casey to see if he's been contacted by the Sixers and has an interview pending.

Tom Moore on Apr 30 at 23:06

Did get confirmation about Johnson for Monday.

Tom Moore on Apr 30 at 23:15

Larry Brown at his year-end news conference Friday (via the Charlotte Observer):

"I have a great job here. I love Charlotte, I love working for Michael, I love coaching. I don’t think there are many places where I’ve been as comfortable, and I’ve been in some pretty special situations. But I have a 13-year-old daughter (Madison) and a 15-year-old son (L.J. in Delaware County) and the time I’m away from them, I can’t get that back. I’ll be 70 (in September). I don’t feel that way, unless I look in the mirror. But I’ve got to go home and talk to my wife (Shelly), like I always do, and try to figure things out. I love her and I love my kids and I don’t want them growing up and all of a sudden I blink and I’ve missed that. It’s just something I’ll have to address."

More Brown on his timetable for making a decision: "I talked to Michael about it and told him now I’d go back and visit with my family. I don’t want this to be about me. My whole thought process now is how to make (the Bobcats) better. I don’t want this to drag on. But I think the worst thing you could do is make a decision right after the playoffs. I still want to coach. I told that to Michael – I want to coach and I don’t want to coach anywhere else."

Yeah i just read the Larry Brown stuff on nba.com ....it's mixed because on the one hand he's gives off the vibe he wants to be in philly (or somewhere else) because of his family and how he's missing out on their childhood/teenage years...then on the other hand he talks about not coaching for anyone else but michael? Does that not effectively mean he's staying in charlotte? haha unless it means he will only coach for michael..and himself.

I know avery johnson is a hardass...little man syndrome... he does seem to have an attitude/quick temper.. anyone seen that post-game presser where he blew up at the reporter who asked him about calling a timeout??

Tom Moore on Apr 30 at 23:38

I agree with Brian that Johnson may not be the best choice for the Sixers.

teddy green on May 1 at 1:27

Another source said that while Johnson is likely to talk to the Sixers he has made it quite clear to people that he wants the New Orleans job.

Speaking of last year, I am told Dwane Casey, current Mavericks assistant coach, is once again interested in speaking to the Sixers as he did last spring when he finished runner-up to Jordan.

A source within the Mavs organization expected Casey to be involved in interviewing for a number of the four current vacant NBA head coaching positions (Philadelphia New Jersey, New Orleans and the Los Angeles Clippers). The source also said that one of the things Casey liked about the Sixers a year ago was their “young talent” and he would likely feel the same way today.

“I am not involved in the Sixers situation,” said the 39-year-old Frank whose winning percentage in his first NBA coaching position was .483. He is expected to be in the mix with New Orleans who is also searching for a head coach.

The list of possible candidates is likely to far exceed last year’s search, simply given how that situation went awry.

AaronMcKie4MVP on May 1 at 10:16

"You can definitely find a ton of fault with his playoff record"

he took a team to the finals and 2 first round eliminations - 1 to a cinderella GS team that was much better than a typical 8 seed. also, in the west the 6,7,8 seeds are usually pretty good. this isnt the same as cleveland losing in the first round.

is it really that bad? besides larry brown, what are our better options with regard to track record ?

JohnMagee on May 1 at 10:34

Maybe New Orleans will hire him this weekend, save the problems

teddy green on May 1 at 12:45

i wonder if the Sixers are the plan B for every high profile coach.

If Avery Johnson can't get the Hornets job he'll consider the Sixers.

If Byron Scott can't get the Bulls job then he'll consider Philly.

If Dwayne Casey can't get the Clipper job he'll consider the 76ers.

If Jeff Van Gundy can't get the Knicks job, he'll consider Sixers.

JohnMagee reply to teddy green on May 1 at 20:27

I would think the sixers are plan D

The Bulls, Clippers and Hornets are probably all better jobs :)

Tom Moore on May 1 at 13:14

John Lucas won a lot of games with the talented Spurs before coming to the Sixers ...

smh1980 on May 1 at 23:18

Apparently one of his former players thinks he's a great coach. Quotes are from Deveon Harris from NY Post.

Here's one vote for Avery Johnson as the next coach of the Nets.

"I love Avery. Love him," said Devin Harris, who played for Johnson in Dallas and hopes to do so again with the Nets.

"Avery would be a good coach anywhere."

The Nets will search for a coach when their catastrophic season, which continues tonight in Milwaukee (8:00, WBBR-1130 AM, no TV), concludes in another week.

There could be a pursuit of Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, though three times publicly he has said he is not interested. Jeff Van Gundy also is a favorite. And Johnson is in the mix.
Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson watches his team's 99-94 loss to the New Orleans Hornets in Game 5 of an NBA basketball first-round playoff series, in New Orleans on Tuesday, April 29, 2008. The Hornets won the series 4-1. Johnson was fired by the Mavericks on Wednesday, April 30. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)
AP

Harris, whose future in New Jersey may depend on the draft lottery, wants to see good times with the Nets after this awful season. And he'd like to see it with Johnson, who won a title as a player with the Spurs in 1999 and then posted a stunning .735 winning percentage (194-70, including a Dallas record 67-win season) in three-plus campaigns with the Mavs. Why?

"He knows how to win, simple as that," Harris said. "He's a great coach, a great motivator. Now whether we had problems there or not, we won games."

Of the reports Harris and Johnson clashed in Dallas, the active point guard insists it was just a matter of a young player wanting to do more and the retired player/coach holding the reins. In hindsight, Johnson was right, Harris concedes.

"That was the only thing we argued about," he said.

teddy green on May 2 at 0:26

Barring the 76ers winning the lottery, i don't see Avery Johnson taking the Philadelphia job. Johnson can do better. Our roster isn't very good and we won't have cap space till 2011. Avery record has bulit enough cache to land a better job. i also don't see Doug Collins taking this job. Why leave a lucrative broadcasting job to coach a rebuilding Sixer team. If he wants to make a final hurrah as a coach he could hold out for a better job.

JohnMagee on May 2 at 13:32

Reports are that the sixers are again thinking about interviewing Tom Thibodeau.

Last year they didn't even like him as much as Eddie Jordan...

JohnMagee on May 2 at 13:44
johnrosz reply to JohnMagee on May 2 at 16:27

"Just make sure he doesn't overpay Dikembe Mutumbo OR BUY OUT ANOTHER CHRIS WEBBER, and everything will be fine."

"persuade Snider and Luukko to buy out the remaining three years of Brand's $51.179 million contract."

Good job Stephen A...

teddy green reply to johnrosz on May 2 at 20:33

My problem with Steven A Smith is that he talks with so much unnecessary hyperbole. Smith seems to want to hire Sam Mitchell and Billy King to run this team because he thinks that they are competent men who got bad deals.

If Smith simply said that his plan to fix the Sixers would be trade Iggy for cap space, picks, and young assets, then buy out Brand because he is such basketball liability, and finally not spend foolishly on crappy free agents, i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as a blowhard. i don't have to agree with him, but it would be nice to more easily comprehend him...

Tom Moore on May 2 at 18:25

Sixers talked to Collins Saturday in Phoenix. Just got the release.

Tom Moore on May 2 at 18:45
teddy green reply to Tom Moore on May 2 at 20:11

To quote the great Biz Markie:

Offerin' him a job but naw, he don't want it
Damn it feels goo to see people up on it
'Cause I remember when at first they wasn't
Now guess what they caught from my cousin
The vapors

Last year when the Sixers job was very attractive, and the Sixers looked to be a team on the rise; the Sixers overlooked Collins. Now that this job has been exposed as a dread, Collins wouldn't consider taking thia job. It's probably just a curiosity interview to provide a little legitimacy for the organization that he once played for....