Mark Jackson Is Out of the Running

JohnEMagee on May 5 at 21:07

Finall SOME good news

Dei's article also mentions Casey and Thibodeau won't be doing initial interviews again. Does that mean they are set for the second round or does that mean the Sixers aren't interested? I'm high on Thibodeau and on Budenholtz and a little less so on Casey. He had a bad record but the Timberwolves stink so it is hard to evaluate how he did there.

Chris reply to Chris on May 5 at 21:27

I meant Budenholzer...

They're leaving Thib and Casey out of the first round of interviews because they interviewed both multiple times last season. They don't need the "getting to know you" interview with them, I think they're both going to be in the second round. Haven't heard anything about Budenholzer yet, probably won't until the Spurs are done playing.

johnrosz on May 6 at 0:58

Who the fuck is Mark Jackson to turn down an interview with the Sixers? The guy was an above average point guard in the NBA for a handful of years, that doesn't anoint you as the second coming of Red Auerbach. Talk about arrogance, sheeh...

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on May 6 at 10:43

Yeah, arrogant, or he realizes it's a shit job and no win situation and hopes to find a better situation some day.

It's not like his job on ESPN is a bad one, pays well, with no grief about mistakes...same reason Van Gundy eeps saying no to every one

This is offtopic, but i haven't read your last few posts until now... On the post about Iggy:

"I'm not really sure I think something like this can be done at his age. I can't think of anyone else who has fundamentally changed his shot this late in the game and had a turnaround, but I'd explore the option at least."

Michael Jordan. Around the time he started his "breakfast club" with his teammates and began lifting weights and training with Tim Grover (who iguodala also trains with, being from Chicago)...he also changed his jumper. Notice the difference from UNC years and Rookie years? (Man his shot was ugly) in comparison to his 1998 season jumpshot?

Good point. If you look at his career numbers, Jordan's shooting was all over the place. He shot almost 43% from three one season (was that the year they moved the three-point line in?).

johnrosz on May 6 at 2:27

Jordan is the greatest of all time. I don't even want to know how many hours in the gym MJ spent, however hard Iguodala works, guarantee that Jordan worked two or three times harder to perfect his game. Iggy won't be able to correct his jumper until he acknowledges it's flawed, judging by the way he bombs up 3's and by the degree of difficulty on his jumpers in general, I'm not so sure he'd be willing to admit its flawed.

teddy green on May 6 at 3:12

Jackson's family lives in LA, so the job Jackson probably really wants is the Clipper job. The Clippers have some nice talent and the team's expectations are very low. It sounds like the dream job for a starting coach.

teddy green on May 6 at 3:18

What Stephen A. Smith has to say about the Sixer job...

What the Sixers won't tell anyone is perhaps the most important thing of all: that they are everyone's fallback plan and nothing more. This is what happens when the job as Philadelphia's next coach is as attractive as walking through a rat-infested sewer.

This is where the Sixers come in.

It is a team that has no point guard, a team stuck with Elton Brand and the three years (and $51 million) left on his deal. It is a team obligated to dole out another $55 million to a star (Andre Iguodala) who can only be described as solid and athletic but with no box office appeal. And the center, Samuel Dalembert, doesn't want to stay in Philadelphia.

It gets worse for the Sixers. All the NBA's other coaching vacancies - the L.A. Clippers, New Jersey, New Orleans, Chicago, and Atlanta (since Mike Woodson will be dismissed once Orlando obliterates the Hawks in their second-round series) - are more attractive than the Sixers' job.

The Clippers have Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon, plus $17.5 million in salary-cap room this summer. The Nets have potential all-stars at point guard (Devin Harris) and center (Brook Lopez), plus about $26 million in cap space this summer, making a 12-win team last season more appealing that your homies off Broad and Paterson.

The Chicago Bulls have point guard extraordinaire Derrick Rose, forward Joakim Noah and about $20 million in cap space. New Orleans has Chris Paul, who is better than the entire Sixers franchise. And the Hawks have a young nucleus with playoff experience over the last two seasons.

"Of all the jobs available right now, the Sixers are clearly the least attractive of them all," one Eastern Conference executive said Wednesday. "That doesn't mean they won't get somebody. It just means the likelihood is that Philly won't be the next coach's first choice."

Which means that all the Sixers - still on the hook to former coach Eddie Jordan for $6 million over two years - have left is going the young, cheap route, someone who'll love and embrace this city and the challenge.

Hello, Doug Overton (the former La Salle player and Nets assistant). How are you?

Agree with all of that, except the part about having no PG.

"New Orleans has Chris Paul, who is better than the entire Sixers franchise."

What a fucking c***

khouse on May 6 at 8:37

Typical uninformed rage from Stephen A-Hole given the the Sixers will have space once Dalembert, Green & Kapano contracts come off the books after this season! Man...what a douche!

Charlie Ace reply to khouse on May 6 at 11:56

Yeah, and Joakim Noah is such a great building block. Like he's heand & shoulders above anybody we have? I like Noah, but Sam's a better player. And Speights will turn out to be better than him in time.

Smith is one of those writers who needs to exaggerate to make his point.

mike reply to Charlie Ace on May 6 at 14:02

"I like Noah, but Sam's a better player"

umm, no

Statistically, they're pretty close, but Noah will probably improve while Sam is Sam.

is he wrong though? name one attractive thing other than money about coaching the sixers right now.

It's a head coaching job in the NBA. There are only 30 of them in the world, and about 10,000 people dying to get one of them. Of those 10,000, about 100-200 minimum are probably qualified for the job and only 4-5 of the spots are open each year.

I wish Riley would make his decision early and bounce Spoelstra, I'd like the Sixers to interview him when the Heat screw him over like they did to SVG.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 6 at 10:45

Yeah you're right, but there's a lot of openings, possibly more coming (if the hawks get bitch slapped in 4 games the way they did in the first, mike woodson might get fired) and some guys (Mark jackson) have pretty nice paying easy gigs that maybe they'd like to give up to coach but not in a shitty situation like the sixers when others may present themselves in the future.

I don't think refusing to interview for the sixers position is going to blackball anyone...how many coaches have they had since brown quit? In how many years? It's not exactly seen as a plum or even stable job would be my guess

I don't really care about Jackson. I wish Eddie Jordan would've refused to interview last season.

My point is that when people try to say the Sixers won't get a good coach because no one wants to coach here, they're full of shit. The Sixers will have their pick of fine candidates. Whether they choose the right one is another matter.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 6 at 12:31

That depends on what one thinks of as a fine cnadidate...the two names they've interviewed (and the one that's turned them down) haven't been fine candidates in my book.

The question is - if two jobs presented themselves to one candidate, which jobs would they choose the sixers and which job would they choose the other team (all other things being equal in terms of salary and such)

As far as I know, that happened last year for EFJ, between Sacto and Philly, he chose Philly. Sacto dodged a bullet.

eddies' heady's on May 6 at 10:21

Hell naw Stephen A. isn't wrong. Money is and will be the only factor and to a lesser extent the notoriety that will come with it. Besides money, why else would you want to coach a bunch of low IQ career losers?

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on May 6 at 12:29

Stephen A Smith is almost always wrong...he's less reliable or accurate (or knowledgable) than Howard Eskin

I couldn't be happier that Jackson took himself out of the running.

As for the grimness of Stephen A's article, it's somewhat true, but short-sighted. Yes, next year will likely be a rough one. But with the assumed development of Jrue, hopefully getting a decent player in this year's draft, and money coming off the books after next year, things have the potential to improve dramatically. (At least I keep telling myself that...)

Mike Riccardi on May 6 at 15:02

Thank you, God.

johnrosz on May 6 at 16:04

Can some of you guys tell me why you don't like Doug Collins? I think I'm in the minority here, but if they hired him I'd be pretty ok with that.

I like the guy. I think he's a good coach. I'm worried that hiring him would lead to some stupid personnel moves to make the team better (and older) this season.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 6 at 17:25

I hear you. It just bugs me when people lump Collins in with the "retreads" When i hear retread, I think of it as a guy who's held multiple head coaching positions, but also hasn't had any success. The guy has had some level of success in this league and has some clout in the NBA world. One thing is for sure, if Collins is the guy, we know for sure that he'll command the respect of the players, and a lack of defense will not be tolerated. Right now that's all we can really ask for isn't it?

Yeah, his poll responses were one of the best. I think Avery may have done a little better.

I have NEVER read a more incompentent article that SAS today. What an indiot! Obvoiusly he is a legend in his own mind. I really do not believe he has watched a sixer game all year based upon what he wrote.

Even if he is right he is incompetent and now understand why the Inquirer tried to can him.