Feelings On Sam Dalembert

teddy green on May 6 at 3:32

i really like Dalembert and would love to see him paired alongside a PF like Derrick Favors. But does Sam want to be here though? SAS has mentioned that Dalembert has requested to be traded in the past.

If the Sixers don't pull Favors or another potential defensive anchor in this draft, then I believe they should extend Sam. You are right; for all his faults, he is a defensive anchor whose contributions go overlooked due to his quirks and his offensive ineptitude. Yes, his work ethic ain't the greatest, but he is good at what he does and replacing that is not the easiest thing in the world, especially when you're capped out.

As we've discussed before, I'd love to see Favors/Speights play together. But I also would not mind Jrue/Turner/Iguodala/Speights(or Brand)/Sam with Lou, Meeks, Thad & Brand(or Speights) coming off the bench.

I'm just not sure you can sign him to an extension without overpaying.

1. I like Sam's game, I do think he's one of the better defensive big men in the league. The turnovers and goaltending I can live with.
2. His contract is not his fault.
3. Not having a shot-blocking presence like Sam would negate having excellent perimeter defenders like Iggy and Jrue. Just look at Utah these playoffs. They have no shot-blocking presence and that's why they lose games. If we're serious about becoming a strong team we either need to keep Sam or get an able replacement first.
4. Even if I were to trade Sam I wouldn't do it this summer. He'd have more value closer to the trade deadline.

pleaseblow thisteamup on May 6 at 7:11

Drop this guy off on the side of 95 after his contract expires save money for mellow.

If the team gets blown up, will fans such as yourself have the patience to watch a failing team for the next who knows how many years?

deepsixersuede on May 6 at 7:28

I am a big proponent of what Sam brings and hope he is resigned. But this draft has a lot of bigs and I believe the Sixers will look hard at pairing a young big with Jrue moving forward and Aldrich, Monroe,Udoh and Whiteside will all get invites to work out.Brian, we talked before about losing in some areas, athletism, and gaining in others, screening and high I.Q.; I would give you this comparison;

Sam vs. Aldrich:

running the floor-Sam
basketball I.Q.- Aldrich
quickness-Sam
screening- Aldrich
shotblocking-Sam
pick-n-role defense-Aldrich
durability-Sam
lowpost game -Aldrich
passing-Aldrich
salary- Aldrich
age-Aldrich

I believe they will let Sam walk unless they get overwhelmed at next years trading deadline but our new coach may fall in love with what he brings and fight like hell to keep him.

If there's one thing I'm positive about heading into this draft it's that Cole Aldrich will not be as good as Sam Dalembert next season, and probably won't be as good as Sam Dalembert at any point in his career.

deepsixersuede on May 6 at 7:33

I forgot 2 important things in my comparison;

willingness to get better-Aldrich
work ethic-Aldrich.

I think you left one player out. Orton from Kentucky. I really like Defensive instincts. He had health issues in High School(I believe knees) and not much of a track record. So, there are question marks but It's a good year to draft 2 for the future. One year of experience behind Sammy and then he can slide in there for major minutes. Maybe, he'll slip late into round one but I
have a feeling he will go higher than projected.

sfw reply to sfw on May 6 at 11:00

Based upon the recent news regarding Sammy's practice work habits which we already suspected, I believe he has to go after this contract.

Zach Attack on May 6 at 9:00

Brian, if the Sixers win a championship, will you change your blog to Excited Fan? Maybe change the picture with your hands over your face to a pic with a big smile. Cheer up big guy.....I have confidence we are heading in the right direction.

Statman on May 6 at 10:08

On the plus side, Sam's rebounding improved this season (over his already good number previously) to career highs in defensive rebounds per minutes and total rebounds per minute (and a full-season career high in offensive rebounds per minute). He was ranked third in the league in both offensive and defensive rebound percentage. And he shot 84% from the FT line through most of the season before tailing off at the end.

On the down side his P/R defense was extremely poor and contributed to the Sixers' defensive problems. Both he and Brand often didn't help strongly enough on the dribbler, forcing someone else to rotate or giving the dribbler a wide-open jumper. On offense, he is what he is and will probably never get better. He finishes well on lobs to the basket and would probably be a good supporting player with a good PG (maybe Jrue); think Tyson Chandler with Chris Paul a couple years ago.

I don't feel strongly either way about trading Sam, except that the Sixers shouldn't just trade him for the sake of making a trade. I do hope the Sixers will try a Speights-Sam lineup before giving up on Sam.

Jeff reply to Statman on May 6 at 10:17

Until we have a back up center, I think Speights will keep getting penciled in for that position over Smith. Thus, I'm not sure we'll see Speights and Sam together for extended minutes. And this is aside from the whole, "Brand is getting 80 million so we should play him" argument.

I'd like to think whatever coach we bring in here will have some common sense. By that I mean, no minutes for Willie at the point. Take an honest look at Thad at the three. Plays Speights and Sammy together.

If I don't believe that's going to happen, this whole thing is just far too depressing.

Jeff reply to Brian on May 6 at 10:32

I agree that Speights' natural position is PF, but he has a lot to do to prove himself. At this point he's not even a 6th man let alone a starter.
His future role all depends on who is coaching. If it's Larry Brown, I'm not sure how much he plays. In fact, I would assume some trade occurs involving him for Nazr Mohammed.
Alas, there is a positive correlation with his improvement over the summer and his minutes, just as there is a positive correlation with Smith's minutes and his chances of getting hit in the face with a basketball.

I have a love/hate relationship with moons-over-my-Sammy.

I hated the guy two seasons ago. I felt he was literally bringing the team down with his poor attitude. You could see how he was helping the team defensively if he just tried.
This past season, we really saw that. The difference was we had no legit backup center and we really saw the team crumble when he was on the bench.
In my opinion, we need a center who is more offensively sound, but still reliable defensively. He doesn't need to block (and goaltend) as many shots, nor does he need to hug the paint and get called for defensive three-second violations all the time either, but rather one who rebounds well and can guard opposing centers.

Tom Moore on May 6 at 10:10

It's hard to imagine the Sixers re-signing Dalembert for anything close to what he's making now. While he is their only legit interior defender/shot-blocker, his inconsistency and bball IQ make it quite likely this is his last season as a Sixer -- unless he's traded by the Feb. deadline.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 6 at 10:52

That's not the question actually

I'd give him 2-3 years for 7-8 mil per year now

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 11:58

I think it's best for all concerned to move on, even with no other center waiting in the wings.

That Stefanski said Dalembert might've been the Sixers' MVP in 2009-10 was more a comment on the team's season than Dalembert's somewhat improved play.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 6 at 12:10

It would be quite stupid to move on without attempting a 'team friendly' contract extension even with no one waiting in the wings in my opinion.

Almost as stupid as saying 'if we can't get evan turner we're going to target xavier henry'

So it's most likely that's exactly what the sixers will do.

But since it's the sixers, they won't even ATTEMPT to move his expiring contract for value, they'll just do what they did with andre miller and waste another asset

jkay reply to Tom Moore on May 6 at 12:12

"The question is would any other team actually sign Sam for what he's making now and I don't think so." - I think Sam will test that theory and will end up somewhere else at a reasonable price (similar to Kyle Lohse with the Phillies)

Mr. Moore: you sound as though you are trying to push a consensus.

JohnEMagee reply to jkay on May 6 at 12:15

"Push a consensus"?

He's expressing an opinion.

jkay reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 12:26

seemed like he was done with the Sammy debates. and wanted everyone to just "move on". interesting choice of words.
if i am wrong. forgive my conspiracy delusions then.
it is conventional wisdom that Sam will most likely be gone one way or the other. doesnt hurt to keep speculation open.

JohnEMagee reply to jkay on May 6 at 12:33

Yeah, well maybe I read differently than you do, when Mr Moore said "all concerned", I read it as the sixers and Sam, nothing to do with anyone else...

Thorpe on Alabi:

Solomon Alabi, sophomore, C, Florida State

Alabi has the rep of a raw player on offense, yet he's 22 years old and led his team in scoring while also leading all starters in field goal percentage (53.4) and free throw percentage (79.4) this past season. To be sure, he's far from a polished player, but considering his late arrival to the sport, the improvement has been considerable. Scouts always wanted him to be more dominant on the offensive end in college. But the pro game is far better for him, with much more open area in the lane and players who are far more gifted at post feeds.

Will Alabi command double teams? Not initially, and probably never. But he's good enough to score as a fourth or fifth option on a post feed, and he'll be one of the few centers who can play late in games as a defensive presence without sacrificing free throw shooting. For teams in the playoff hunt, that is gold.

Alabi is such a gifted defensive center that he projects as a rotation player immediately (limited minutes early, but steadily increasing), although he still has lots of room to grow and develop. He reminds me in many ways of Serge Ibaka. He's not as athletic as Ibaka but is taller and longer. Both guys are the rare energy guys who also bring a palpable positive spirit to any room they walk into. FSU finished in the top 10 in defensive field goal percentage the past two seasons, including first in the nation this past season, and Alabi anchored that unit. It's hard not to bring your best when playing alongside someone like Ibaka or Alabi.

I'm not sure if Alabi is one of Thorpe's clients or not. Sounds like a guy worth buying a pick for if he drops into the 20s, though.

My one concern about Alabi is that he is supposedly a poor rebounder for his size.

JohnEMagee on May 6 at 10:56

My feelings on Sam Dalembert

Anyone who has 'known' me back from the days before I was banned at realgm knows that I've never been sam's biggest fan (that would be a guy with so many screen names I don't actually remember his name)...in fact I hated him, when the sixers were rumored to be offered josh childress for sam before his long term deal I wanted them to jump at the deal, his 5 year deal made me wanna vomit and his lack of any sort of development of basic basketball skills pissed me off constantly.

I have somehow mellowed on sam, sam is what he is, he ain't great at anything, but he's average, he's a league average center who some might say plays above average defense...he's never going to improve, he's never going to learn how to dribble, develope the ability to catch real well or pass, he's never going to sto ptaking his 19 foot jumper...but when you look around the league at the 'centers' in the league and hte money they make, he's paid 'fairly enough'.

The sixers aren't going to find BETTER than sam in the draft or in free agency, and let's keep in mind that sam has been pretty damn healthy which is rarity in this league (tyson chandler, eddy curry make about the same money as sam and got their contracts at the same time didn't they - how's their healthy) and means he will play every game.

I'll never love sam as a player, but he's an asset to this team if they think they can contend soon (which I don't think they can) and a 2-3 year deal at 7-8 mil per would be a reasonable extension (though an option on the 3rd year would be better)

eddies' heady's on May 6 at 11:27

Question - why do some on here have these strong feelings that a player better than (or equal to) Sam can't be found in this draft?

Personally I think it's a farce to fathom those thoughts. Is it because only numbers and stats are being looked at when judging Sam? Individual numbers don't always justify a player. There's deeper elements when considering team concepts. They haven't came close to winning anything with this guy for however many years he's been here (too many, to me). So if we are losers with him then why not give it a shot without him?

While he certainly helps on defense, he also helps the opponents defense just as much because we are essentially playing 4 on 5 with him out there.

Do others not seriously think that Ekpe Udoh will be just as good, if not better, than Sam from day one? Favors? Even Alabi or Whiteside?

I would prefer responses focus more on Udoh especially (cause Favors will probably be gone) and Alabi or Whiteside.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on May 6 at 11:43

There's many reasons people can have

Raw Talent may never develop.

You draft the best player available and need isn't that much.

Why draft a guy who might be if you can just pay a guy who is - at a reasonable price.

Favors isn't a center, alabi and whiteside are raw like sushi, possibly rawer than sam ever was and might never develop.

Like I said, I don't love sam, but sam isn't horrible, sam isn't a gaping hole in the sixers roster like they currently have at two positions...sam could start at center for a contending team...the sixers don't really have long term starters at two positions right now for a contending team so need factors in...they have bigger needs than finding a replacement for sam (all other aspects of the draft being equal at that point)

"They haven't came close to winning anything with this guy for however many years he's been here"

You attribute that to Sam? How about the 8 coaches in 8 years. Is that Sam's fault to?

The guy is not a star, and is completing a terrible contract. That does not mean the team who suddenly be improved in his absence. They will have MLE money next summer (unless they release Thad.) No way they get a starting center better than Sam using the MLE on the open market.

The team should have been grooming a replacement for Sam. But they have failed to. It is a huge problem. As big a probolem as the Brand contract.

interesting that Sam's value is probably much higher than should be. all because of the scarcity of decent big men.
but then again, in a league where the Center position is hardly of value anymore...
Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter make more than Dwight Howard. In what kind of league does that make sense? fact is; the 5 aint that sexy anymore.

JohnEMagee reply to jkay on May 6 at 13:12

That's more to do with free agency and how dwight played it out - dwight hasn't been a unrestricted free agent yet

Not just big men... but healthy big men. Sam has been one of the rare durable centers in the league. Durability is not valued... until your season is ruined because you lose a key player.

The Sixers have been spoiled with Iguodala/Miller/Sam. Take away starters for more than a 1/2 of season and all of the sudden you have more years like last one- which for the Sixers might have been long term a good thing.

I'm not even sure that's true. Coaches and GMs love injuries, IMO, because it gives them easy excuses for failing to reach expectations.

Man, I'm in a bad mood today.

Until they get fired.

Sixers coaches have a shorter shelf life than...

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 6 at 14:21

Man, I'm in a bad mood today.

SIxers in the toilet
Yankees old and creaky and breaking down (which makes most of us happy - sorry)
Eagles inevitably about to do something stupid

I can undeerstand

Yankees old and creaky and breaking down

Yeah, it sucks that they only have a couple more rings in them before they're going to be forced to rebuild.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 6 at 14:27

Talk to me when Pettite goes on the DL

Innings saved now turn into effective innings in October. I just hope we'll be able to find someone who can outperform awesome starters like Moyer, Kendrick and Blanton in the mean time.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 6 at 14:40

What's the rays record again?

4 games better than the Phils.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 6 at 16:16

Blanton is a quality starter, not fair to lump him in with Moyer and Kendrick.

bdownbear on May 6 at 14:54

Is anybody catching this.....(stock)About 10 minutes ago the market just hit an all time high down near -1000 points. Unfreakinbelivable!!!!! This is probably the worse I have ever seen in my life. Yes, worse than 2008.

Ugh. Gained back about 500 since then. This day just keeps getting better.

bdownbear reply to Brian on May 6 at 15:13

True, lots of panicking.......Never seen a day like this. Caught some $GOOG while the $DJI was dipping.

raro reply to bdownbear on May 6 at 16:08

I love the fact that I first heard about this on depressedfan.com.

JohnEMagee on May 6 at 18:27

Does this sentence make any sense to anyone?

The dow was no where near it's all time high today as far as i know and 1,000 points isn't the biggest drop ever either...unless it's like an intraday record.

"GOOG" being such a high valued stock is one of my insanities of the stock market.

But the recession isn't over - it never was close - people kept saying it was because earnings were up - but earnings were up because companies were cutting the fat, streamlining, but no new jobs were being created, in fact more jobs were being lost while the companies were getting profits.

Until unemployment REALLY gets fixed (not the freaking census, ignore the march numbers) - the country (and wolrd) is still fracked.

The Dow dropped 1,000 points spurred on by fears revolving around Debt and Greece - that's right - GREECE scared the US Stock market

It's a flat old world folks

bdownbear reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 19:05

Biggest drop intraday JohnEMagee. And yes, I agree.

JohnEMagee reply to bdownbear on May 6 at 19:08

Yes, I worked in the stock market, sort of, in the height of the tech bubble and through the burst (which i saw coming but my boss wouldn't listen) smartest tip i ever made anyone was buying marvel at 5 before all the movies started - he made good cash.

I was focused primarily on IPOs and flipping them (yes for those of you who say HOW - there is a way to flip IPOs without offended your brokers...) so I was there when the internet 'boom' kind of started (the globe.com - from 9 to 90 in a heart beat, a sort of '1st generation social network that bombed off the earth) to when the end arrived...and I was amazed when Marc Cuban got yahoo ti give him 2 billion dollars (that's where he got his money folks)

bdownbear reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 19:45

Niiice JohnEMagee....I trade intraday as a hobby. When I first started, I profited pretty well on some swings. Then I got interested in trading intraday (daytrading). Lost a pretty decent amount in my first year. After that finally got it (consistent profit). Many would say 95% of day traders would lose. But I would agree.... 95% in their FIRST YEAR. Either they quit or its within their first year.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 19:08

public employees looking for handouts from the govt. take a big wiff. when people start lining up at the whitehouse and state capitols when pensions and social security are slashed, it will be worse here.

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on May 6 at 19:15

I knew about 15 years ago that I was never going to collect social security - that our national past time towards prolonging life well beyond what's healthy or right (i'm not trying to get political and have a debate - it's all just my opinion) and the size of the baby boomer generation and the lack of THEIR desire to have as many kids was going to kill social security...it was a great system and probably a great idea but they need to tweak it desperately (like raise the age to 70-75, minimum)

My generation aint' seeing a dime (i'm 38) from that - we'll contribute to it but it'll be bankrupt long before we can collect

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 19:57

yeah, same situation here. its unfortunate that politicians with short term mindsets get to legislate this crap. SS is nice in theory with an ever-expanding population. madoffs fund is nice too with an every-expanding base of new investors.

the tweak you are hoping for will certianly happen, just as greece is currently tweeking their deferred entitlement program

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on May 6 at 19:59

the disgusting thing is that you have to continue to pay into it. im sure you cant use an extra $6k a year to fortify your own retirement

JohnMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on May 6 at 21:02

I actually met someone when i was in grad school who was around 'back in the day' and chose NOT to participate in social security once it was set up...it was obviously not avialable to folk who were in the work force after it was law