Who Wants Sam Mitchell?

deepsixersuede on May 7 at 17:24

I am probably wrong for saying this, but hiring Mitchell seems blah to me, like hiring P.Silas did a few years ago when his name was floated. A Thibodeax hiring excites me along with Turner, Casey and even Collins.

Is there a bias against bigman head coaches in the league? Sikma, Cowens and Ewing don!t seem to get interest from teams.

I'd consider it, but there is no rush. One of the benefits of Sam Mitchell is that he's not flying off the shelf. You can wait to talk to Thibs and Bud again(I think Bud will be available way before Thibs this year, since Tom Terrific will need to be plotting to solve the Magic dilemma).

I would not mind Sam Mitchell coming here as an vet asst to Bud or Thibs either. That would be cool.

is Thibodeau a possibility at all or is that just your best case scenario now that jvg is out of the running

deepsixersuede reply to Tyler on May 7 at 19:47

After reading Van Gundy!s praises of Thibodeax!s work with the young Houston bigs he should move up the list slightly, just if he can turn Spieghts around and possibly a young big out of this years draft.

It's between Budenholzer and Thibs for me right now. Probably leaning toward Bud simply because he's younger and I think he may have a little more patience with a roster that's probably going to require it for a year or two at least. I'd be happy w/ either of them, though.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on May 7 at 20:04

It would be interesting to know the responsibility!s that head coaches place on their lead assistant!s on an individual basis. Rivers seems to let Thib!s run Boston!s defense and be animated on the sideline whereas Pop. seems more handson and his assistants have less exposure during games, just wonder if that should matter and how much info, other than a resume , the sixers are able to find out.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 7 at 20:36

I'm not really on board with Budenholzer just yet. Is there any info out there that helped sell you on him? I'm not sure I can trust the guy just because he's Popovichs lead assistant, PJ Carlisemo didn't exactly set the coaching world on fire when he got his opportunities...

I'll look for the link tomorrow, but I read about the defensive game planning Budenholzer does for SAS somewhere.

tk76 reply to Brian on May 7 at 21:02

Agree, but not leaning either way.

Would prefer to see Pritchard as GM though...

I guess one can dream.

We could definitely use some injury risks in Philly. And three centers signed for a ton of money crossing our fingers that we can get 82 games out of them combined.

To be fair, Pritchard has built a team that's gotten knocked out in the first round two years in a row, though. So he's got that going for him.

teddygreen on May 7 at 21:49

It appears that if the Sixers won't give Larry Brown the hammer to construct the team the way he sees fit, then he may stay in Charlotte...

eddies' heady's on May 7 at 21:55

"The problem with a guy who sort of up-coached a flawed roster into a decent defensive team is that the ability to do so doesn't really prove that he'd be able to turn a team with a solid defensive core into an elite defensive team. There's a difference between using a system to hide weaknesses and getting average results and really using a defense as a weapon."

But you have to expect average results and can't use defense as a weapon when you don't possess said solid defensive core. (which is surely debateable)

Ability to do so, with scraps, is plenty proof in this guy's case.

Suede said it best, blah. I do not have a problem with hiring him but not an exciting pick and pack the Wach. Bringing him as an assistant (as a back up) is fine but I think we need more excitement at this time.

If you were to make me say who the coach will be today, my money would be on Collins. He is an ex 76er, Nationally known and makes sense. Not saying he is my first choice but bringing him in w/ Mitchell as an assistant would be my guess.

i'm thinkin that, in the wake of fast eddie, these dudes need a guy that's not a raging a**hole...something more of "a player's coach."

i'd love to see maurice cheeks get another chance. call me crazy.

Crazy :)

I'm not really sure I agree that they need a player's coach. What they need is a coach who respects them enough to set rules, set roles and hold everyone accountable for the job they do. They may not like all of his decisions, but they at least need to be able to understand why he does what he does.

It comes down to common sense, again. Something that EFJ lacked in the worst way.

I think we need an anti-Eddie Jordan. Right now I'm leaning to Collins. IF he really wants the job.

yea i definitely hear ya, Brian (as usual).these guys are generally pretty young with no player that stepped up as any kind of discernable leader. they were in a tough position with fast eddie, and i truly believe that they can bounce back. they would probably respond well to a coaching staff that has a 'taskmaster' element to it.
btw, did you guys hear anything about the coaching situation with The 76ers' record breaking 9-73 season? apparently they hired a guy that responded to an ad that mgmt put in the classifieds section of the Inky. hahahahahhaa things could be much worse!

Thunder Dan getting an interview. Maybe Thunder Bob will be next.

deepsixersuede reply to tk76 on May 8 at 10:22

Pheonix does seem to defend a little bit, is he part of the reason?

eddies' heady's reply to deepsixersuede on May 8 at 11:46

Why no, he's not part of the reason. Players that display individual effort and collective effort as a true team are the reason.

deepsixersuede reply to eddies' heady's on May 8 at 11:59

Their roster hasn!t changed much and yet, there is improvement whereas our roster hasn!t changed much and it took a major step back defensively; in both cases the coaches, in my opinion, affected that change.

eddies' heady's reply to deepsixersuede on May 8 at 20:58

While respectful of the dissenting opinion but, hasn't changed much? Really?

They only lost Shaq and Matt Barnes who started half the season and somewhat added a full-season Dudley and signed Frye; we only lost our floor general and vet leadership overall while adding EB's methodical ass and we signed Carney. Sounds like a lot of change to me.

But irrespective of all that, 'true team' when previously stated need not go unnoticed.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on May 8 at 12:56

If that were true coaches would be unnecessary and irrelevant

johnrosz on May 8 at 17:52

Trade Kapono to get under tax threshold, replace with Thunder Dan as player/coach. Stefanski finally starting to think outside the box.

These trick shots should be enough to win everyone over...

bebopdeluxe on May 9 at 0:28

Talking to Laimbeer tomorrow.

I like it.

Time for this team to grow a sack.