Elston Turner Is In the Running

I'm a big E. Turner fan going back to last year. I would not pass on him solely because Jordan was a failure using the P.O. Turner (and Adelman) seem more flexible in the implementation of their system. I put him up there w/ Thibs as a promising assistant.

JohnEMagee on May 13 at 14:22

This guy or mitchell are my two favorites

Mike P reply to JohnEMagee on May 13 at 18:20

Him, Mitchell, Laimbeer, Budenholder, and Thibodeau would all be acceptable for me.

I'd like to have Turner be our coach, Adelman doesn't run a princeton-like offense, he taylors his gameplan to his teams strengths. All the Rocket players apparently love the system they have. It leaves a lot of the decisions up to the players.

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P on May 13 at 18:42

Yeah, no interest in thibodeau - his inability to get a job the past two seasons rubs me the wrong way.

I hate bill lambeer from his playing days - such a douche - can't have him as the coach

Wait, so now we're considering the guy (Collins) who coached the Wizards before Eddie Jordan? What, has Stefanski realized that it was actually Collins who taught the Wizards how to play basketball and was responsible for them making the playoffs under The Goat?

Tom Moore on May 13 at 14:55

I hear there is some question if Casey, Thibodeau and Budenholzer will end up interviewing.

Tom, do you think they're pretty much set on Collins at this point?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on May 13 at 15:01

It's possible, but there are so many unknowns that it's hard to say:

Will Stefanski be allowed to finish the hiring?

When will Snider/Luukko decide about Brown?

Will there be a second round of interviews?

Will Tuesday's lottery have an impact on the situation?

Collins is much like LB in terms of positives and negatives.

Since we've been talking draft so much, I'll stick w/ the terminology. Brown has a much higher upside than Collins (he's a better coach on the floor, could take a team with equal talent further, IMO), but his red flags are very scary (I think there's a much greater chance Brown screws with the roster and leaves us with an absolute mess in two seasons, whereas I don't think Collins could/would necessarily mess w/ the personnel too much).

And Brown is not an uptempo coach, but compared to Collins, Brown is D'Antoni.

And for anyone who thinks a good BB commentator qualifies you for anything...

Matt Millen (although to be fair, no much of a commentator either :)

Tom Moore reply to Brian on May 13 at 15:11

Well said, Brian. To talk in political terms, I'd compare Brown to Reagan in that things go real well in the short term, but there ends up being a future price to pay (when Brown leaves and the roster of defensive-minded veterans has to be re-shaped).

So what would that make Eddie Jordan? James Buchanan?

EFJ is the Marion Barry of the NBA.

Nah, the Mayor was much more popular in D.C. He also had no problem with a lack of shooters.

One known for the Princeton Offense... The other known for speedball. Maybe the Mayor would have been a better fit?

Tom Moore reply to tk76 on May 13 at 16:03

I'd say Andrew Johnson, who was the first president to be impeached ...

Jeff reply to Tom Moore on May 13 at 21:17

Wow, I actually posted about Johnson before reading your comment. Good call, though.

Jeff reply to tk76 on May 13 at 21:16

No, Andrew Johnson. He was the most stubborn president and never saw his mistakes.

JohnMagee reply to Jeff on May 13 at 23:00

at least until the 21st century

Jeff reply to JohnMagee on May 14 at 0:46

To Bush's credit, although little exists, he doesn't hold the record for vetos nor did he get impeached.

teddygreen on May 13 at 15:02

Perhaps the Sixers are doing this to keep some focus on them amist the local Phillies and Flyers talk.

i know one of the reason that Doug Collins is interested in the Sixer job is because the close proxmity it is to his family, but it is still flattering that such a well known basketball figure would want to coach here.

JohnEMagee reply to teddygreen on May 13 at 15:07

I doubt it highly - the eagles - doing nothing - are more popular in the city right now than the sixers...

Someone wrote yesterday (smallwood) that the sixers had to 'hurry up and hire a coach' and my thoughts were why and did any sports writer in chicago, new orleans, los angeles, etc...write something so ridiculous

Jeff reply to JohnEMagee on May 13 at 21:20

Smallwood stated that the sixers have to hurry up because the first team to hire a coach will create a domino effect and if the sixers don't hurry, they won't have the luxury of obtaining the best coach available. If I remember correctly, he also goes on to state that Philadelphia is not a desirable location to coach at the moment and that exacerbates the problem.

I'm not saying I agree. Those were just his points.

Chad Ford has some really good things to say about Avery Bradley today. After seeing the measurements and hearing how he did in the workouts, I don't think he's going to be an option if the Sixers could buy a pick in the 20s.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on May 13 at 16:07

Wouldn't think getting another pick in the 20s is likely -- unless the Sixers trade down.

teddygreen on May 13 at 15:07

The "this", I’m referring to is the carousel of coaching interviews being conducted, despite the Sixers already having zeroed in on Doug Collins...

Well why should the hiring process be any different from the job description. Because 8 coaches in 8 seasons is a carousel. maybe they are trying to be efficient and look a few coaches down the line.

Settle it with a heated game a musical chairs at the Wach. I'd buy a ticket.

Coach appreciation night. Yoou get a gold watch and 2 years, 6M to leave.

johnrosz on May 13 at 17:05

I think to say the Adelman approach is purely a read and react offense might not be entirely true. I've heard comparisons to Sloan in the sense that he molds his offense around whatever personnel he has available. Turner might be interesting, but if were getting a Turner I'd prefer Evan. Collins is still my guy, enjoyed the Fagan article for sure.

If I were getting a Turner, I'd love both. Evan & Elston would be a good thing moving forward

johnrosz reply to rswknight on May 13 at 17:49

I hear you. Where do you stand on Collins? Would you prefer him over the unproven Turner or no?

I would take Elston Turner over Collins. And I would hire Mike Brown as his Vet Lead Asst/"Thibodeau-style" DC the moment he gets dumped from CLE.

That said, I would hire Collins to replace Ed Stefanski.

JohnEMagee reply to rswknight on May 13 at 18:56

Collins hasn't been in the NBA in a long time...i'd be wary of his ability to deal with a new generation of player.

As for Mike Brown - not sure I like him - if they get waxed again by detroit that's just sad

I am good with him as a defensive coach. Not as a head coach

I really find it amazing how some love one guy and "hate" another. I personally do not want to see another coach hired that has a "losing" record either as a head or asst. coach. I believe we need to bring in a coach that is use to winning.

I read that AI9 is for Collins to be hired. How much of an affect do you think it will have on the team's decision being he is the "best" guy on the team?

JohnEMagee reply to DeanH on May 13 at 17:55

I believe that's a nonsensical attitude bred by foolishness...

If a guy doesn't have good talent how can he win (and if you think that elston turner or sam mitchell are 'losing' coaches you don't know enough about them)

I was not referring to them specifically. My point is we need to bring in a winning attitude. EJ destroyed this team's morale and I believe we need a strong, proven leader.

My statement is not meant to criticize a coach or say they cannot win, just saying that the 76ers, specifically, need a coach w/ a winning record.

I personally like Mitchell alot BUT not convinced he is the right person after the incompentent EJ.

If the 76ers were to bring in Collins, he instantly demands respect. He has a winning record, played on the 76ers when they were good, and is respected in the industry. I believe 90% of the fans could have coached the 76ers better than EJ last year.

I do not have a horse in this race but I do not want to go through another year like we just did with EJ.

JohnEMagee reply to DeanH on May 13 at 18:42

Oh my god could you spew more silly nonsensical terms.

When did Doug Collins last win in the NBA?

Collins doesn't demand shit but a check from Social SEcurity

If we are supposed to be scared away by a coach whose system values even a small degree of thinking, this roster should be completely scrapped. Honestly you're making it sound like these players are completely brain dead. Is this seriously the future direction of the team? Needing a preschool system so that the simpletons don't get confused? Sounds like it would be a great team to coach AGAINST. I'm not disagreeing with you, Brian, but if that is seriously the state of the team, we should be looking at desperate measures to scrap this roster.

No, actually I think the two players worth keeping actually have very high BB IQs, I just don't think these complex offenses don't play to their strengths. Both guys can break their man down off the dribble. Both are good drive and kick guys. Depending on the draft and how things shake out, we could field a lineup with 5 guys capable of posting their man.

Intricate player movement offenses, to me, depreciate the value of a PG who can handle the ball and orchestrate, and turn the position into a guy who simply brings the ball up the floor and makes a meaningless pass to get the gears moving.

I'm not saying Turner wouldn't be capable of adapting a system to fit the personnel, nor am I saying the read and react is a bad offense. I'm not even saying the players on this roster (worth keeping) aren't capable of playing in this type of offense. What I'm saying is what I've seen of the R&R, it's not a good system to get the most out of this team, in the long term.

In the short term, we'd probably have somewhere between 2-5 players on the roster who simply wouldn't get it. That's not the dealbreaker for me, though, since I really don't care if those guys stick around or not.

Jesse reply to Brian on May 14 at 2:54

Fair. Although it's probably worth pointing out that Aaron Brooks has become a star in the Rockets' system. Jrue benefiting from a similar scheme is not out of the question, and possibly something to think about.

Also, consider that Drexler, Terry Porter, T-Mac have had no problem slashing and creating and orchestrating in Adelman's system.

Brooks isn't the type of PG I want Jrue to turn into. Brooks is a shoot first guy, which fits that type of system.

Porter and Drexler are a good pair, but Jrue is more of PG than Porter was, in terms of distributing.

And I wouldn't use McGrady as an example at all. Take a look at this. Under Adelman, McGrady attempted 8.9 and 8.6 long twos per game! That's insane, and that's absolutely, 100% not the type of offense the Sixers need.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 14 at 11:52

But was it the offense that worked best for the rockets?

Don't know. It's certainly possible.

Honestly, though, I'm not really interested in a modified R&R offense. If he's willing to completely throw it away and play an offense based on Iso's, P&R and post play, then fine. But what I've seen from Sacto to Houston is just a different version of the R&R, tailored to the pieces they've had.

JohnMagee on May 13 at 23:01

Well - the cavs tanked it - but I still thik Lebron is suffering an injury or illness he's not disclosing.

Is Mike Brown long for work?

JohnMagee reply to JohnMagee on May 13 at 23:16

tanked was the wrong word...I didn't mean to imply i thought they lost on purpose - of course until just a minute ago i didn't know that other people thought something was seriously wrong with lebron and i was just imaginging things...I still think healthy lebron and the lebrons would have been killed by the magic...

Old School SixerFan reply to JohnMagee on May 13 at 23:24

What does this do to the theory that if you get really bad and draft a potential superstar you can win a championship? Cleveland has come closest, but again have failed. As near as I can remember, no "worst" team has even made the finals in recent memory after drafting #1. The Spurs got the #1 because of injury to a key player.

The NBA CBA is a failure and has brought the league to a position many fans believe that it is all but impossible to build a winner. The only solution is a hard cap so a team like the LAL cannot resign a player like Odom unless he will play for much less than he could get with another team with cap space. There must be change.

(said this before)

You need a uber-superstar + a good supporting cast

or

3 stars and some decent role players
----

I roughly define uber-superstar as 1st team All-NBA. Star as a to 25 NBA player (I'd put Iguodala on this list.)

So some teams like the Heat or the old Kobe only teams struggle because the superstar has garbage teammates. Lebron has decent teammates, and given enough chances would win it all in Cleveland. But he is banged up and his teammates failed to step up.

So you believe if Jrue reaches Iguodala's level and they add say Favors in this draft and he achieves "star" level, then the Sixers could have the foundation of a champ?

It would be a stretch, but I guess possible. Iguodala is a fringe top 25 player. I doubt Jrue reaches that high. Favors I have no idea about. The good supporting cast probably could be cobbled together, but the stars might be a reach.

Sort of like the Pistons model- not an easy accomplishment.

eddies' heady's on May 13 at 23:13

^

"completely brain dead"? - Close but not quite

"simpletons"? - Very apt

"desperate measures"? - Oh how I hope

"scrap this roster"? - Bingo, sooner the better

JohnEMagee on May 14 at 12:29

Mike Woodson has been fired

Yeah, don't want him either, but I'm sure he'll jump near the top of Stefanski's list.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 14 at 12:36

Wasn't the rumor of LB in charge and woodson coaching?

I hate it when a plan comes together

Yep, that was a rumor. Honestly, the silence on Brown makes me kind of nervous. If I was betting right now, I'd put half my money on Doug Collins as HC and Stefanski as GM, the other half on Brown as president and Woodson as HC.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 14 at 12:44

No offense but i'd be hoping you lose all your money