9/9: DeMarcus Cousins

What a talent! If one could only get inside his head. Agree with the point about Sammy & Speights going if we draft him.

Nice piece on traded picks in 2010 draft.

I think of being Orlando #2 with him, get shooters, especially a stetch 4 [Thad?] and let Iggy be the only non-shooter in the starting 5.

I don't think there is any way this guy drops to 6 unless their are even more red flags than we know about. I can't remember the last post player who was so polished coming into the league. Demarcus is also no slouch on D either he really gives effort on that side of the ball and has what Jay Bilas likes to call great second jump ability. I feel like this guy is a can't miss prospect and agree with you Brian that you can absolutely build a championship contender around him. Let's say we stay at 6 would you trade #6 and a young guy like Thad or Speights to move up two spots to get him? I know I would.

#6 + Speights to get up to #4 for Cousins? Yeah, I'd do that.

Steve reply to Brian on May 15 at 12:29

I was thinking to a team like Minnesota if they get the third pick because they're desperate for an athletic wing and Rudy Gay or any of the other top swingmen in the free agent class won't go there so they could be interested in trading for Thad and then taking Aldrich at 6 or someone like that to fill their two biggest needs (wing,true center).

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 15 at 17:51

what about Iguodala and 6 to get up to 4? I think any value Speights had following the rookie campaign has diminished.

Steve reply to johnrosz on May 15 at 18:28

There's no way I'd give up Iguodala just to move up two spots. Id rather have Iguodala and Aminu than just Cousins. Minnesota might consider something for Thad I don't think he's completely ruined his value around the league yet.

johnrosz reply to Steve on May 15 at 20:45

Yeah,but you can't really look at it as just moving up 2 spots. You're moving up to get a potentially dominant center for the next decade. The difference talent-wise between the 4-6 is potentially worth more than what Iguodala gives to a bad team.

The price for the #5 pick in the draft last season was Mike Miller and Randy Foye. Not for a team to move up to the #5 spot, but for the pick by itself.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 16 at 2:10

I don't really see something like that happening again,even if it's Iguodala and the 6th. The value of the 6th pick in a 5 man draft is worthless to a team that's comfortably positioned at number 4. A team will have to ask themselves if the dropoff in talent between the 4th and 6th pick is worth what they'll gain in adding Iguodala. Considering how difficult it is to add a dominant big in the NBA, I don't see a team passing up on Favors or Cousins to take on Iguodala and the 6th pick.

Cousins is the absolute wild card. I would pick him in a min, especially if he drops, because, as you said, Dominant bigs are worth their weight in titles.

Question:

If you get a top-2 pick and draft Turner, and say Minny is sitting at 6 and Cousins is available, would you trade anybody except Jrue(even Dala with a future #1 swap?) for the rights to Cousins?

Your nucleus would be Jrue, Turner, Thad and Cousins, with the oldest being 22?

ryano reply to rswknight on May 15 at 15:05

Yes. With a solid coach ready to build a team and not in the "win now" mind set, at least two of those guys should blossom into big time players. That's an OKC type nucleus right there.

Old School SixerFan reply to rswknight on May 15 at 15:38

As much as I like AI9 I'd do that deal without a second thought. I'd still want Laimbeer as coach.

tk76 reply to rswknight on May 15 at 18:28

Yes. Not sure we could get that deal done, but would jump at the chance.

Not only is that a promising nucleus, but in 3 years you would have a number of good pieces and no financial problems. The team would be in great shape to add another vet piece to contend.

Stefanski pulls Turner/Cousins out of the hat this summer and I give him GM for life.

Cousins is a great talent, but he does lack explosiveness. I do not see Shaq like 25 pts out of him. Nor will hge be nearly the impact player on defense as Shaq/Howard. But he is skilled enough to be a very good scorer (20 pts?) and a great rebounder. That still would put him up their amongst the leagues best bigs. He would be great along with a stretch PF who is a goo shot blocker (Josh Smith, Kirelenko types.)

I think Brian's idea about Moses bas a mentor/teacher sounds great. But I fear this organization is to messed up to provide the stability to get the most out of an enigmatic talent like Cousins. Of course Barkley and AI did well here- at least for a while.

Tom Moore on May 15 at 20:08

If anybody falls to No. 6, I'd say Cousins and potentially Johnson would be the leading candidates.

Tom Moore on May 15 at 20:09

As for moving up to No. 4, don't think Speights and 6 would be enough.

Old School SixerFan reply to Tom Moore on May 15 at 20:26

Could Iguodala alone get #4?

If you owned the number 4 pick, would you move it for Iguodala? I don't think I would, Iggy has a hefty contract, he doesn't do enough to change the fortunes of a bottom dwelling team(kinda like the Sixers)

tk76 reply to johnrosz on May 16 at 4:01

Iguodala is a top 3 pick talent, but the big contract would give most rebuilding teams pause. While a good team (Utah) would probably prefer an established talent.

Rodney Buford on May 17 at 9:43

I like the idea about hiring Moses. I re-read an old Mark Cuban interview the other day, talking about all the assistants he hires because "paying someone $50,000 a year to babysit your million dollar + investment is a good idea". I couldn't agree more. Granted Moses would be more than that, but the point stands.

Dirk ought to be the story but many of America was pulling for that Heat to get rid of, not for that Mavs to win.