NBA Draft Lottery Live Blog

The thing I hated the most about Eddie Jordan was his braces. Is anyone with me on that or am I alone?

JohnEMagee reply to Sean on May 18 at 18:22

Of all the things to hate about someone why hate his desire to have his teeth corrected when there are so many very famous people who can't talk without a lisp?

Sean reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 19:09

I think the reason I hated the braces so much was it was a constant reminder that the dude cared more about his teeth than coaching the team. Princeton offense my arse!

JohnEMagee reply to Sean on May 18 at 19:10

Well see - that's not really his fault - it's yours for the logic fail

Sean reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 19:23

Alright John, you win. I love EJ's braces. What are you his orthodontist?

Nick reply to Sean on May 18 at 19:57

I too hated the braces, very much. They were a constant reminder of the man's preening vanity.

I hated how he couldnt just leave his goatee alone. It was always different widths and stuff. Kinda ironic he had a GOATee and that pic bryan had used with the goat and braces

JohnEMagee on May 18 at 18:37

I actually hated that he was a passive aggressive shit head of a coach who didn't take any repsonsibility for his own mistakes

but i hate that about most people - it's an american tradition

Tom Moore on May 18 at 18:49

Saw Derek crossing the street from parking garage to NBA Entertainment an hour ago. Stern is talking now -- a lot of LeBron questions.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 18 at 18:56

Trust the media to ignore the important issues when talking to the commissioner and focus on silliness.

There's a lock out coming folks

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 18 at 18:58

Stalkingly found tom moore at the lottery.

From derek

1 HOUR!!! WTF! I Hate waiting.

Yankees rain delay. Nothing to pass the time until the draft, ugh.

im assuming its on nba shhotaround before the game?

and brian, what are the yankees? ;)

Tom Moore on May 18 at 19:24

Stefanski blanched at the idea that the Flyers’ success has any impact on the coaching search and said reports that "because we had a tough year, people out there don’t want to coach us, That’s total BS."

He wouldn't say if he's recommended a coach to Snider/Luukko.

Bilas has Babbitt at #9, huh?

So I'll try to do some quick math as they start ticking off names, update the Sixers odds at getting the #1 pick.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be watching Stu Scott right now. Maybe they'll have Stephen A. on later for his expert analysis.

Just admit it. You love watching him make words, like "Kryptonited"

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:38

He's as cool as the other side of the pillow though

AND a tar heel

Before its too late, just wanted to say thanks Brian for all of the in-depth rundowns and discussion threads on the top nine...definitely makes tonight much more interesting!

Tom Moore on May 18 at 19:37

Didn't get in the studio -- first time ever. There's like 10 media seats because they have spots for FedEx and other sponsors. Will watch in hospitality tent, then head in for interviews afterward.

Hmmn, I wonder if my dog and I count as the Sixers viewing party.

Doug Collins already has been given the impression that he has the 76ers coaching job, a source tells the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"The logistics of the situation appear to be the only thing holding an announcement back at this point. Collins is broadcasting the Western Conference Finals for TNT and the Flyers (which share a building and are owned/operated by the same people) are in the midst of Stanley Cup run. The most surprising aspect of this is that Collins actually wants to leave his cushy TV gig to coach this seemingly dead-end franchise."

Mike P reply to ojr107 on May 18 at 19:50

Maybe Collins will give it his all and help Jrue develop into the all world player we thing he can be.

Collins isn't an awful choice, even though I know I've made it seem that way (of course no one pays attention to me), but I feel that Mitchell or an assistant would have been a better choice for the situation of our team. (a team that arguably needs to be rebuilt around Jrue, a team that isn't one step away from contention that a lot of people in the organization would think)

So weird sorta run on sentence aside, Doug Collins won't be nearly as bad as Eddie Jordan, and I hope he comes out and surprises us with a great coaching effort.

Collins is a good coach. He'll get a lot out of these guys. He wasn't number one on my list, but they could've done a whole lot worse, and ultimately he's going to do some good with the roster he's given. My concern is what happens with that roster if/when they spend a decent chunk of money on a "name" head coach, and what expectations are placed on Collins in the short term.

Mike P reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:58

After the abortion of a season we just went through I think just getting to .500 and seeing Jrue get better and better would be a positive step.

Also getting a nice lottery bounce will help.

It's already done, right? That Nets owner looked a little too happy to me. Jrue looked sad.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:41

Jrue's natural state looks sad though

True. I'd be giving high fives if my team just got the #1 pick. I'd dare Stern to fine me. Actually, that's what they should do, send fans to represent the teams.

Rodney Buford reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:51

Speaking of hi-fiving - I really miss Pat Croce. They showed the highlight of the Iverson lottery on Sportscenter earlier. He was awesome.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:46

I think the drawing is done but don't they usually wait until the reveal (live) to let the reps know?

The reps aren't in the room? Makes sense. I hope Stefanski and DiLeo are smoking a big fat cigar in the back room right now.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:49

I always thought the 'lottery' room was just NBA folk and the accountants

smh1980 reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:49

Brian,

How do you feel about 3 years under Collins for this young roster? I'd like to see Collins teach these guys defense and when they are older/more mature then they can bring in more of a players coach. I'm excited about watching the development if Collins is the choice.

JohnEMagee reply to smh1980 on May 18 at 19:50

I'm excited to have a guy who hasn't coached in the NBA in what, a decade?

Mike P reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 19:56

I hope he makes then do Mikan drills all day long. Our team will never miss a layup!

smh1980 reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 19:56

7 years I think. I like that he has been involved in the game as a commentator and he's seen the game change over the years. That should help him.

JohnEMagee reply to smh1980 on May 18 at 19:58

So you're pro marc jackson then too?

Collins was replaced by Jordan in Washington

Oh the irony alone makes this inevitable

Sigh - just when I though the sixers would do something smart.

Get ready for #6/#7 traded for mediocre crap

smh1980 reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 20:10

Because I like a person with a wealth of coaching experience like Collins who happens to be a commentator does not put me in someones corner like Marc Jackson with no coaching experience. Why not give the job to Marv Albert then? Lol. Collins is a good coach regardless of what happened in Washington.

I like Collins as a coach. I think he can really help the young guys on the roster and I think he'll have this team playing quality basketball.

My only concern is what hiring Collins (and paying him) would say about the direction Stefanski is going to take the team, and what kind of expectations would be placed on Collins (and the team) in the short term.

So a quick distraction from the waiting...our boy Jrue is representing us tonight. Has anyone looked at his stats compared to Rondo's from his rookie year? They stack up great. I love watching Rondo thinking we could have a point guard with a more polished offensive game and the same upside.

Rondo's a better athlete, Jrue's a better shooter and I think he has a better natural feel for the PG position, but yeah, I love the comparison.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:49

Yes, by all means let's compare statistics and not similarity in game

You're in particularly bitchy mood tonight, huh?

Nothing crazy about comparing their stats as a rookie.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:56

Nothing all that productive about comparing stats in a vaccum of two guys on different rosters with different skill sets

Popularity leads to pablum - just remember that :)

Actually, the situation for Rondo's rookie year was pretty damned similar to Jrue's rookie year.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:59

He got to pass to paul pierce

Pierce was garbage that year, when he was even on the floor.

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 20:00

Aww c'mon. Look at where Rondo is today and look at his rookie year. Same mpg, same ppg, similar reb, a few less steals...but waaay better shooter. Don't you think that bodes well for Jrue this year and the team a couple down the line? I like it...and looking at their stats side by side...just in their rookie year...Jrue looks better. Something to smile about.

JohnEMagee reply to ryano on May 18 at 20:01

So the sixers are going to be able to pull off trades to add in their prime equiavlents of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen?

I'd like to see how good rondo probably next year when it's him and kendrick perkins

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on May 18 at 20:08

Jrue shouldn't neeeeed other players like Rondo. You're right, he's a different player on a different team, but he has a jump shot. He's going to be productive in different ways. My main point is that he was just as productive this year as Rondo was his rookie year- and three years later people are talking about Rondo being a top 5 point guard in the league...why not Jrue?

Ryan F reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:00

tonight?

TK or any other math person in here. How the hell do you calculate the odds for getting the #2 pick? Nets have 250 out of 1000 possible combos, 25% odds at #1, 21.5% odds at #2. Can't figure out how they come up with that number.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 19:56

The nba lottery is not a 'normal' lottery so it's a pain in the ass - and i haven't done complex probability like that in a long while

I believe what it is is that all the envlopes in the machine have a given 'triumverate' of teams in the order - so 250 of them have the nets first, 215 have them with the nets 2nd, etc...

No, they use balls. I mean, if you tell me who gets the #1 pick it's easy to get the odds at #2, I just don't know how they project how many to take out of the equation when #1 is unknown.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:18

I would think if they use balls they'd pick #1 first - then pause - remove all the balls for that team - then pick #2?

Tom Moore on May 18 at 19:52

I asked Stefanski why he didn't interview Thibodeau or Casey. He said that he doesn't have plans to interview anyone beyond the seven "as I sit here."

"I felt Tom and Dwane are good candidates. I know them (from 2009 interviews). I didn't interview them. That's nothing negative on them."

Did he say anything about a second round of interviews?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:07

He said they're having internal discussions about whether to have a second round of interviews or to recommend hiring somebody.

Here we go. Bad dancing videos to kick things off.

I have no idea how they found tens of Nets fans to stick in a high school gym to film for this.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:04

People will do anything for a free hamburger (or chalupa)

Bet they're not even nets fans

Nothing will top "It ends tonight" as the draft song - dumbest draft song EVER

Rodney Buford reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:05

Yep, that may have been the lamest viewing party ever.

Bad rotation on Turner's jumper, huh?

ryano reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:10

Looks like Ray Allen's. He's an all time great shooter, but he lacks a bit in terms of rotation and in arc if you ask me.

Are they showing it?

Ah, you gutless bastards.

I'm going to need some the meds they're advertising if they don't get this started soon.

ojr107 reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:13

Having trouble breathing.....

Tom, have you ever asked Stefanaski why last year he didn't want to interview Collins and this year he did? Why the change of heart?

Anyone else watching this online ESPN3? I can't stand the switching back and forth to stupid ShootAround.

The only thing that's made me happy since the final loss is Mark Jackson's early exit from the coach search.

Alright, here we go.............ARGH! Another commercial.

This is brutal!

Sixersftw on May 18 at 20:13

they are really milking this.

I'm making a list of the commercials, I'll never buy a product from any of the companies responsible for dragging this out.

Let's GO!!!

Here we go...

I like Danny's suit.

I think Aaron Brooks thought it was going to be in 3D.

I don't give a shit about Danny Granger's jacket.

Tom Moore on May 18 at 20:17

Stefanski: "First off, I've never been here before. I hope this is the last time."

Jrue looks mad tense.

Was that Tom sneaking into the room and then escorted out?????

Stupid questions to all of these people. Now Kahn, Jesus, just let all the idiots speak.

Why are they interviewing this moron Kahn? Get on with it.

Rodney Buford on May 18 at 20:18

WTF is up with this chick asking interview questions during the introductions? Give it a freakin' break.

I sense another commercial before they start this.

im so nervous i can't stand this anymore

Another commercial?

here we go

#14 - Houston. Good so far.

#13 - Toronto
#12 - Memphis

We're in good shape.

Tom Moore on May 18 at 20:20

Finally.

everything uniform so far

No surprises yet.

OK, still holding serve at #8.

YESSESSSSSSS!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOO!!!!

YEAHHH!!!

Had that FEEELLLLLLIIIINNNNG!!!!!!!!

OH SUGAR!

Holy Shittttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even my dog is pumped up!

AaronMcKie4MVP on May 18 at 20:23

yyyyyyeeeeeahhuyhhhhhhhh

TOP THREE!!!

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:23

Please fire Ed so he won't fuck this potentially franchise saving pick up!

Oh, and please take a BIG MAN over Turner, if that's the case.

HOLY MOLLY

The crowd goes wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Holy shit!

I completely stopped paying attention. Minny got #4, right? Who got #5?

Worst Case: Derrick FAVORS! WE ARE ALMOST LEGIT!!!!!!!

OMG!! TOP THREE MOTHERFUCKER!!!

i'm pretty happy dude right now.

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:24

Is this really happening??!!!!!!!!!

Now for a little gravy?

Tom Moore on May 18 at 20:25

Wow -- highest pick since KVH in 1997 (No. 2). Or higher?

Shout out to Eddie Jordan!

Comment of the night!

OUR FATHER

Holy crap.

top 2

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Jrue looked relieved!!!!

rchap13 reply to ojr107 on May 18 at 20:28

yea he looked reaallllyyy relieved.

The Ghost of Abe Polin!

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:26

Derrick Favors! clap, clap,clap.....Derrick Favors!

Evan Turner HERE WE COME!!!!!

dang sooooooooooo close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I'm not greedy. ET or Favors!

EVAN TURNER!

Turner or Favors. I'm looking forward to that debate for the next month or so.

Finally some good luck.

Rodney Buford on May 18 at 20:27

Hard to f this one up. #2! Unreal break for the franchise.

DAMMIT. Almost got it. That was the best part of the season.

That Leonis' is a lucky bastard. Couldn't happen to a guy who'd care more though.

Thank god that Ruskie didn't win!

oh boy, I'm so happy I could cry

Happiest man in Philly? Jrue Holiday...LMAO!

Jason reply to rswknight on May 18 at 20:30

wp wp

I feel like there is going to be some heated debate in the upcoming days. Very successful night.

That being said, it's a little bit of a bummer that we didn't get Wall.

Part of me is happy that we'll get a chance to see Jrue develop on his own, especially considering we got #2. I wouldn't have felt this way if we got the #6 pick, but at #2, I'm thrilled.

Rich reply to Brian on May 18 at 20:34

If they got Wall, this year had a chance of being an utter complete waste because he may have taken Jrue's year away from us. So that's a very legit point. Wow.

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:28

Jrue with the Favors-able lob for the SLAM!!

Hire Moses back please...

Wow. Just, wow.

Wow. Sixers actually might get a player who can actually help them right away next year & be a real building block down the road.

sucks for new jersey huh??

We are relevant again! Sweet jesus we are relevant!

honestly this is the best luck this franchise has gotten in the longest time im so happy

Instantly an awesome day.

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:31

Un-freakin-believeable!!!

To have to be excited over a lottery position is sort of bittersweet, but EJ will go down in history as doing one good thing. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

gotta go with turner.

or favors.

who am i kidding i dont care! im just so freakin happy

We are relevant again! Sweet jesus we are relevant!

Wow, the top-3 were all Eddie Jordan teams... maybe his braces have magical powers after all. LOL!

BWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA

bebopdeluxe on May 18 at 20:34

Brian...that chart was KARMA...

TOP THREE MOTHERFUCKER, indeed.

We have to go Favors.

Makes not firing Eddie Jordan earlier in the season worthwhile, and, grudgingly, make sense.

Somehow it irks me to think of who we last drafted as the 2nd pick in the draft. But that was a weak draft in comparison. I don't think there is a way to screw this up. I'll be honest to say I prefer Turner to Favors but I wouldn't mind either of them.

teddygreen on May 18 at 20:35

Love it, it went to the two franchises who needed it the most...

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:36

When the lottery FINALLY started Jrue looked like he was ready to commit a silly ass turnover, after it was known we were in the top THREE he looked he had just finished a spin move down the lane for a lefty floater-hook. Swish!

teddygreen on May 18 at 20:37

There is karma to the draft...

2008- kobe sabotaged the bulls with his trade demands to the bulls, and they win

2009- brand backstabbed the clippers and they win

2010-arenas sabotaged the wizards and they win

eddies' heady's on May 18 at 20:38

Remember when we all fretted over those late wins vs MIL and ATL? Should we be glad, in essence, that we really did win them now? Because some said that tonight could make those nights come to memory.

Definitely, but you just want the best shot you can get at a top pick. At the time, they hurt our chances. With the results now, yes, they are good wins.

Should have fired Stefanski before the draft.

And Collins is going to love Turner. Make him his next "Hill."

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on May 18 at 20:42

The draft hasn't taken place yet. I'm still holding out hope.

teddygreen on May 18 at 20:43

i turn on philly radio and i get sixers talk. i'm so excited...

Do we trade for another pick? Do what we can to get 3,4, or 5 and really rebuild this thing right? Favors and Johnson, Turner and Cousins, Turner AND Favors? Stefanski GET TO WORK!!!

tk76 reply to ryano on May 18 at 20:47

I would consider trading back to #3 or #4 if the got an unrestricted #1 back. Those are some bad franchises.

Mike P reply to ryano on May 18 at 20:50

So many possibilities!

I will happily see Iggy off if it means the future of the team can be improved.

We can trade Iggy to Minnie at 4 and take Cousins possible. Even if he is crazy. WEEEEEEEEEEE

Go big baby! Go Big! Do me a Favor!

Now that we are on track to get Evan Turner, it makes me really interested to see what a coach like Collins can do with a superior all-around wing talent.

Given Collins background(coaching Jordan, Pippen, Hill, Houston, Stackhouse, Jordan again, Stack again and Rip Hamilton), as well as his own playing career, he is a good fit as a teacher/mentor, imo.

kobe will be the greatest player from the past and future!

Корпорации, что выполняют услуги: [url=http://www.bustrans.com.ua]аренда автобусов[/url], обычно мониторят уровень своих услуг, так что вы можете легко забронировать транспортные перевозки не очень дорого.