Special Edition SixersBeat Tonight

JohnEMagee on May 19 at 15:20

Flying Solo huh?

Do we really need THAT much information :)

Just to clarify, I'll be on the whole time (hell, I have nothing else to do during a 15+ hour drive), but Brian will be hosting (since I won't be near a computer).

Leaving in ~15 minutes.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on May 19 at 16:07

Um...please focus on the road,

We need a two guard. The consensus best player on the board will be a two guard fresh off winning National Player of the Year. Would not taking Turner be overthinking the situation?

Rodney Buford on May 19 at 17:57

Hey Brian - did you hear Evan Turner's interview on 97.5 around 5:00ish today? He's making 100 3's a day and 500 shots overall.

JohnEMagee reply to Rodney Buford on May 19 at 18:20

That's great - what percentage is he shooting - if it's taking him 500 to make 100 3's - that's not so good - how's his mechanics - are they flawed or working - and is he shooting from the corner or from the farthest distance.

These are questions I ask when we get the 'i shoot a lot' comments

Rodney Buford reply to JohnEMagee on May 19 at 18:25

Yes, those questions were asked. He said he was taking 150-160 NBA 3's a day to get his 100. Doesn't mean anything? At least he's paying lip service to the need to shoot better.

JohnEMagee reply to Rodney Buford on May 19 at 18:29

Means a little bit more - but if a guy has bad shot mechanics and isn't working with a shot coach - he'll still have bad shot mechanics :)

Rodney Buford reply to JohnEMagee on May 19 at 18:53

:) I actually meant "Does it mean anything?" - considering, like you mentioned, the mechanics, etc. Just thought it was worth noting.

iguodala said the same thing way back when. Making X three's per day. His goal was to be a better shooter than Korver, IIRC

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on May 19 at 20:11

Hence my point :)

ojr107 reply to Rodney Buford on May 19 at 18:25
Rodney Buford reply to ojr107 on May 19 at 18:55

Felt bad that they blew off his Wafflehouse joke.

Mikey Miss is an A-hole. But I already knew that. Like Turner was going happily rip either AI?

JohnEMagee reply to Rodney Buford on May 19 at 21:03

He should feel bad that he breathes and is allowed to be such a racist ass wipe without repercussions.

Brian,

When Howard Eskin talked to Ed Stefanski today it sounds like Evan Turner is the guy he wants. Says they would be more inclined to look at a big if they were sitting at the # 6 spot. If Turner indeed turns out to be the next Brandon Roy then how would you see the combination of Jrue/Evan T back court playing out? I'm excited for the possibilities but I would still want Favors. The Boston Celtics would not have won their Championship without Garnett being down low, possibly another championship this year. I think Favors/Jrue/Iggy makes more sense with a quality 2 guard brought in for the 2011 season. ET makes us the 5 seed in next years playoffs with no hope of landing a stud big man in the near future through the draft. Just my thoughts.

smh1980 reply to smh1980 on May 19 at 19:34

The only quality Big man I see in the 2011 unrestricted Free Agent class that I am excited about is Carl Landry. That could work with Jrue/Turner/Iggy/Landry/Brand. Bench Lou/Thad/Speights/Meeks/2011 1st round pick. I like that possibility.

JohnEMagee reply to smh1980 on May 19 at 19:36

Landry isn't that much quality

and again, unless you renounce thad AND smith you don't have lots of money

smh1980 reply to JohnEMagee on May 19 at 19:53

Landry definitely is not an all star but I think he would be a decent piece to add in 2011 without a huge contract going his way. If we end up taking Turner I don't think we will ever have a dominating force in the middle like a Garnett, Duncan, or Howard. That is kind of why I'm leaning toward Favors with the 2nd pick. I think Jrue/Iggy/Favors/Brand/(decent swing man who can keep the defense honest) would be better.

Anyone else feel as if they're more excited than if we would have got the first pick?

I really really wanted the #2 in this draft, and can't believe that it happened.

I thoroughly expect Jrue to end up being a top PG in this league one day, and would of hated to see him possibly traded because we took Wall.

I actually think Turner affects Jrue as much as Wall; he is a ball dominant player who may turn Jrue into a spot up shooter most of the time, that along with sm1980!s comments about our future frontcourt is why I still want Favors. Turner averaged 8 pts., 4 reb. and 3 ass. as a freshman and has become a great player and my fear is we will be a team without a quality big if Marreese doesn!t work out and Sam leaves if we pass this oppurtunity to draft Favors. My question to Derek, if he can answer during his drive is if Favors upside is higher than Horford or Noah don!t you have to consider him?

smh1980 reply to deepsixersuede on May 19 at 20:45

At least we are in the position to debate this. ET or DF puts us in a great situation. I just think a superstar big is more valuable than a superstar wing. Here are some of the better highlight reels for each player.

Derrick Favors:

Raw but he has Dwight Howard type ceiling:

Highlights from GaTech:

3 Questions:

Does he fit the Sixers Style of play?
If the sixers are going to get back to a running team who can defend then YES.

Does he fill a need?
We all know Elton Brand is not the answer and what do we do when Sammy D leaves after next season? We won't be so lucky next year to get The (not A) top big. 6' 11" wingspan 7 ' 6". Hands that dwarf Billy McMullin that can actually catch.

Does he vault us into mediocrity?
No. Being a project we should be in good position for a top pick in 2011. I think this team is young enough to take a player with a higher ceiling. If this was Utah selecting here then they would go for a complete player like Turner without hesitation.

Evan Turner:

Good 6 min reel. Turner has the complete game.

Good mix tape of his skill set.

Does he fit the Sixers Style of play?
Yes. He can run and he has a great half court game. Now his jumper is kind of suspect but the guy is identical to Brandon Roy. But you may have to trade Iggy.

Does he fill a need?
Yes. Go to scorer who wants the ball in crunchtime. Would start day 1 and would probably win player of the year (21 ppg, 6 rpg, 4 apg).

Does he vault us into mediocrity?
Yes. We automatically become the 5 seed next year with Turner. The perimeter defense on this team would be really scary. But what do we do inside in 2011? We won't have a good pick that year (17 - 20).

I take Favors here but we are lucky to get either of these guys. I think the possibility of having a superstar big vaults you into a top team for the next decade 2 - 3 yrs from now. With Jrue, Iggy and Favors you would really only need a shooter to knock down those outside shots. There are plenty of those guys, just take a look at Phoenix.

So heres a question no one has considered....What if Washington takes Evan Turner ? Its possible...Do we immediatley take Wall ? I say look to trade down to 3 or 4 and take the other star SG....if we cant trade I guess take wall. Just the thought of it is kind of sickening though..I dont want to see two PG's laying PG and SG. No history of that working.

JohnEMagee reply to Gdog on May 19 at 20:12

If Washington doesn't take Wall - Ernie Grunwald should be drawn and quartered and the sixers take him IMMMEDIATELY

YOU TAKE JOHN WALL IF YOU CAN

That's why if the wolves got #1 it would have been awesome since they would have taken turner.

Jrue Holiday had half a good season - stop anointing him folks

If they were BOTH in this draft, john wall would be the pick

Ryan F reply to JohnEMagee on May 19 at 20:44

Right now I would seriously have to consider taking Jrue over Wall if they were in the same draft. Not anointing anyone. I really prefer a tactician type of PG that slows the pace but can push the ball, reads set defenses, and make the proper decision. Scores when the opportunity presents itself and dictates the flow of the game. That is what I believe Jrue's ceiling is. Wall, I see a 6'4" Andre Iguodala. A player that forces the ball, looks for his shot, if it isn't there he's capable of making a good pass. Best served going to the rim. Not a bad thing, just not my preference. He is still very very young and has a lot of room for growth and my read could be totally wrong. Just a limb.

JohnEMagee reply to Ryan F on May 19 at 20:53

In 5-10 years we'll talk

Odds are you would be a GM out of a job...like the guy who passed on Jordan

I think I agree on taking Wall....but that means we still have a giant hole at shooting guard and a bunch of teams KNOWING we have to trade Jrue which means they wouldnt get anywhere near full value. (precisely why Heinrich is still in Chicago)

JohnEMagee reply to Gdog on May 19 at 20:37

No - you do not have to trade Jrue Holiday right away - it's a complete misnomer and fallacy when people say it won't work without trying it - and it's driving me crazy

WE DON"T KNOW WHAT WILL WORK until you actually try it and it doesn't work...ask the wright brothers...ask NASA

Maybe it won't work - but presuming it won't (and presuming that Jrue is vital to the future after six months after Thaddeus Young) is a mistake as much as presuming Iguodala doesn't work with Evan Turner.

You pick the best guy available - washington should to - the sixers should do it - new orelans and utah probably would have drafted wall as well...the fact that minnesota was worried about flynn and rubio (who i believe will NEVER play for minnesota but will play for an NBA team) enough to say they'd take Turner first is a reflection on Kahn being a doofus in my opinion :)

I don't believe there's much of a chance of Grunwald taking Turner. Turner and Arenas aren't necessarily any more compatible than Wall and Arenas are (at least with those two you have one real point guard) - not that Grunfeld should be making decisions on the basis of who fits with Arenas.

Thanks for the calls guys (Kerri Smith from Philadunkia, Deepsixersuede and Garrett from la-la-land). Good show tonight, catch the replay if you didn't hear it live.

Is Sammy compatible with our new coach? By that I mean does Collins sell him on staying or drive him away?

Tom Moore on May 19 at 21:41

John Langel, Collins' agent, had no comment via e-mail tonight when I asked if they're trying to negotiate contract terms with the Sixers.

JohnMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 19 at 22:14

I don't get why negotiations should take so long...don't you discuss salary when you interview a head coaching candidate?

Maybe not. I've had first interviews where we didn't talk money at all. They had my salary history, but we didn't talk about salary until the second interview.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on May 19 at 22:23

DIdn't collins already have two interviews?

I've either been hired or not after one interview :)

Don't think so. I don't think anyone had more than one interview.

Would you trade Jrue Holliday and Evan Turner for John Wall?

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Devin on May 19 at 22:13

lol. i wouldnt trade holiday straight up for wall.

JohnMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on May 19 at 22:15

Well, that's a mistake

Did a mock draft today and when I got to the clippers there isn!t a guy they can use, unless they reach for Henry. They don!t have a compatible contract for Thad or he and a future #1 could possibly get Udoh.

Wow, they don't have any contracts at all. They're going to wind up with 6 guys on their roster once they renounce Mardy Collins.

They have trade exemptions that work for Thad, can they be combined? And would that save some cap room from acquiring another pick?

Yeah, they can use a trade exception if they want. Not sure Thad really rates a pick that high, though.

That is why I would offer a future #1.

For the #8 pick? Not sure I'd do that. Not unless it was like top-ten protected forever.

JohnMagee reply to deepsixersuede on May 19 at 22:16

Trade exceptions can not be combined in trades - i'm not even sure they can be used on more than one player?

The clippers will draft someone - who will end up getting hurt - the clippers love guys on rookie contracts

They can't be combined, but don't they have one big enough for Thad? I thought they got a big one in the Camby trade for some reason.

They would have to love a guy. Udoh or Davis or Whiteside or Orton come to mind. I am using the "we get pretty good and won!t be drafting high " theory.

JohnMagee reply to JohnMagee on May 19 at 22:25

I have no idea - he just asked 'if they could be combined' that's the part of the question I was answering :)

Thad's on the last year of his deal - he's not attractive to the way the clippers do business...i expect with everyone fired for them to return to their 'draft pick / minimum salary' player model that made sterling so much money in the past.

I wouldn't trade thad at this point - his value can only get better

Do you think any free agents go there and if they do , do their agents tell them to "break a leg".

JohnMagee reply to deepsixersuede on May 19 at 22:32

I think free agents go to whomever offers them the most money 99% of the time and they have crap loads of room this off season.

But i'm not sure sterling is going to try any more - i think he REALLY wanted kobe last time and thought maye this time with phil retiring he'd get him - and then kobe signed his extension...I think Sterling got burned by kobe dreams twice, and shafted by brand, he's done trying and going back to 'cheap and profitable' - I wouldn't be surprised to see no major signings.

I think the idiots at ESPN who dismiss Clippers because of 'the curse' or 'second class' are idiots - they aren't cursed - maybe some bad luck - but they're not cursed - if healthy i think of the 'major' players they might have the better talent even than the bulls who supposedly have the best talent? I don't think that Sterling would spend the money - but if the clippers wanted to be - why wouldn't they be a serious off season player?

I agree; a solid small forward and young backup p.g. and a healthy Griffin is all that!s needed.

JohnMagee reply to deepsixersuede on May 19 at 22:39

Lou williams is young - and cheap - i'd trade him for a trade exception :)

And Lebron James is a small forward isn't he?:)

He becomes very expendable with Turner here. I wonder about Hollinger!s per; I just did a Lou for Mayo trade on the trade machine, assuming we swapped picks , and we lost 3 more games adding Mayo.

Everyone should wonder about Hollinger's PER.

JohnMagee on May 19 at 22:51

Hey Brian

With the sixers popping to #2 - how close are they (or are they over) to the projected luxury tax with the 56 million cap number?

Lou Williams becomes expendable because he has trade value they could use to get under the cap easier than with willie

and personally i'm not ready to trade sam yet

Are there any teams under the cap on draft night? L.Will. for a #2?

JohnMagee reply to deepsixersuede on May 19 at 22:57

I have no idea when contracts expire - does anyone?

Contracts don't expire until Jul 1st, after the draft.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on May 19 at 23:03

bummer

Last cap projection I saw was $54M. Which puts the lux tax around $65M. The Sixers are at $69M w/ the #2 pick.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on May 19 at 23:04

What happened to 56? Last I heard it was 56 but I guess not...so - 5 million to be shaved this off season - how much does lou make?

$5M, exactly.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on May 19 at 23:11

Bye Lou

Who knew cost cutting cheapness could make me happy :)

I've been looking at other teams 1/2/3, I think we may have the best defensive 1/2/3/(assuming we take turner) in the league. And our 4/5 on defense isn't bad either. Is it a stretch to say that this team has the talent to be the best defensive team in the league next year. The only thing stopping us is poor defenders coming off the bench.

Collins will spend half the year DEJORDANING the players, but yea it is something to look forward to. How will they play the perimeter? Switch,switch, switch?

eddies' heady's reply to ojr107 on May 19 at 23:01

Such a stretch I think I heard a muscle pop as long as you have Sam Dalembert and Jrue Holiday guarding pick and rolls. Jrue understandably should get better but Sam? It'll never happen if it hasn't after around 7 years of trying.

Top ten or better is not a stretch at all, but best is. P&R defense will be a problem, though less of one w/ a halfway decent coach. They're just too young at the 1 and 2 to be the best, IMO.

Assuming we let Kapono/Green/Dalembert expire and don't extend Young, how much cap space will we have next summer, if any at all?

ojr107 reply to ojr107 on May 19 at 23:33

sorry, I just saw this was asked answered above. The reason I asked was cause I saw this article, which i knew to be false, but wanted to make sure i corrected it in the comments with correct information.

"I don't know why everyone is trying to figure out who will fit with Arenas. He's a sunk cost, he's really got nothing left in the tank. They completely gutted the team. Why are they even concerned with how a player fits with him?

Has anyone given any thought as to how any potential pick will fit with Brand? Same situation."

I don't think Arenas is quite Brand yet, but yeah. I think the Arenas-Wall fretting is more a matter of people worrying about Arenas ruining/constraining Wall than it is a question of who would fit well with Arenas. It's like, say Speights (sort of a young budding Arenas of big men) is in his 30s one day, and untradeable, don't you worry a bit about exposing your star rookie big man to the Speights influence, and also worry a bit about your star rookie big man's formative years being screwed up because he's watching Black Hole Speights get the ball all the time? Of course, which isn't to say that you wouldn't go draft, to continue the analogy, the big man equivalent of a young John Wall, but you do worry about the development of Mr. Future of the Franchise with Speights/Arenas around.

Great stuff as usual guys, one thing that kind of made me think during the show: Are Sixers fans in these smaller communities the only people that don't mention moving Iguodala every time they talk about the team? It was so refreshing not to hear that once during the whole show, but everyone in the national (and local) media. Fagan even threw out the suggestion to build around Thad at the 3 today in her blog, which disappointed me?

Does anyone besides us realize that Iguodala is a proven commodity and Thad is not even close to that? Is it their age difference which turns people towards Thad? These are some of the same people who say that Iguodala can't play the two, well HELLO, he doesn't have to if we draft Turner.

The funny thing is the same people who said you need to get rid of Iguodala because he isn't a number one, and we'll never be able to get a number one because he makes too much money are the people who are now saying we need to get rid of him even though we may be getting a number one to play alongside him. It's pretty clear to me that they just don't appreciate what he does on the floor, or any level, and they never will. They don't like him, so they come up with these hollow reasons why he has to go. Take their reason away, they just make up another one.

Rich reply to Brian on May 20 at 1:33

I'm prepared for, "He isn't a Number Two." Something like he can't shoot, isn't a potent enough scorer, doesn't have the right temperament, etc.

Maybe if Jrue develops into a big-time scorer from the point, we'll get "He's not a number three." Anything is possible.

The funny thing about the salary argument is that he'd be the 4th-highest paid player on every remaining team in the playoffs.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to Brian on May 20 at 3:06

i think this entire communitiy agreed on a previous post that we would be extatic if iguodala was our #2 best player overall and #3 scoring option. if turner is as good as you guys say he is (im not sold), then we are already there.

I think you Iguodala lovers enjoy hating on the iguodala 'haters' so much that you make up reasons to do so.

The point is that we're there, potentially, and the Iguodala haters are still saying he needs to be traded. Not sure how that's on us.

jkay reply to Rich on May 20 at 1:26

some people just DON'T LIKE Iguodala. rubs them the wrong way. plus the pretty big salary for a '#2 option' type player ... apparently a lot of ppl dont like him. luckily they inhabit other blogs.
Thad is a 3 without handles and shooting range, and a 4 without good size, toughness and zero rebounding. they could'nt have written bench player more clearly on anyone. its tough to accept for even me.
dunno what Kool-Aid Fagan's been sipping.