Sixers Summer League Plans

Tom Moore on May 20 at 12:44

What's your gut feeling, Tom? Is Collins definitely getting the job?

Tom Moore on May 20 at 12:55

It's Collins if they can agree to the terms (money/years). Stefanski said yesterday he'd have a coach within a week, but it could be sooner.

Anybody else excited to see how Evan Turner measures out today? I have a feeling his wingspan and overall athleticism will surprise people, although you can't completely judge athleticism on this combine but it does give you a good idea of a players measurables.

Tom Moore reply to Steve on May 20 at 12:59

Listed as 6-7, he probably measures 6-5 3/4 or thereabouts.

Steve reply to Tom Moore on May 20 at 13:02

He may end up being 6'7 in shoes I'm more interested in seeing his wingspan though.

Tom Moore reply to Steve on May 20 at 13:04

Gotya. We'll see.

Steve reply to Tom Moore on May 20 at 13:06

They measure with shoes and without shoes right?

Tom Moore reply to Steve on May 20 at 14:55

Believe it's bball shoes and then socks.

Tom Moore on May 20 at 12:58

BTW, Stefanski confirmed that the Sixers are sending their own summer league team to Orlando. Good move.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on May 20 at 13:07

Sending one to vegas

cheap.

Did they do this back in 1996? My friend and I still debate as to whether or not Iverson is actually 6'0

T reply to Sdeas on May 20 at 14:17
JohnEMagee reply to T on May 20 at 14:31

Yes, as people get older - they shrink - sometimes - something about knee cartilege being shot i think - tk?

I thought the spine compressed. I'll tell my grandkids I was 6'5" back in the day.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on May 20 at 14:57

I'm 5-10 3/4 and Iverson was just a shade taller than me when I stood next to him -- maybe 5-11 1/2.

teddygreen reply to Tom Moore on May 20 at 15:05

Didn't Allen Iverson have adnormally long limbs? The guy looks like a cricket with those long arms and legs on such a small torso...

JohnEMagee reply to teddygreen on May 20 at 15:28

Allen Iverson had a unique body shape that allowed him to excel in the NBA even at his height - I don't reacall the exact 'irregularities' though

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on May 20 at 16:43

He had that ability to take the contact from much bigger guys and still finish around the rim. Also, he was an athletic freak in the sense that he never seemed to get tired.

Yeah, I remember hearing about the stress test they made him do. Put him on a treadmill and told him to run fast as long as he could. Ran five minute miles until they eventually had to tell him to stop.

teddygreen on May 20 at 15:03

Are you guys more excited about this 2010-11 season with the additions of Doug Collins and Evan Turner, or the 2008-09 season with the addition of Elton Brand?

Short term, I was probably more excited about getting Brand. Long term, I'm pretty psyched right now.

sean reply to teddygreen on May 20 at 15:12

Remembering back to when they signed Brand that year, I should probably hold off on any excitement this year. (however, at the time I said I would have rather signed Josh Smith and obviously I still wish we had). But I think a young player like Turner is more exciting than Brand. Not sure how I feel on Collins besides the fact that he is a name. Feel like we are kicking around the same list of coaches each year.

I'll just chime in before JMagee loses his mind. Josh Smith wasn't an option. He was a restricted free agent and Atlanta would've matched any offer for him. In fact, they did match the offer Memphis eventually made.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 20 at 15:30

Though Memphis offer was kind of a low ball offer compared to what the sixers gave brand :)

The more I hear Josh Smith talk to the media the more I'm glad Josh Smith isn't is in Philadlephia...

I was excited about Brand
I'm more exctied about Turner
I hate collins and wnat him fired

There's a limit to how much you can offer a restricted free agent, they couldn't have offered Smith as much as they offered Brand.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on May 20 at 15:43

I forgot that part, but in my memory Memphis didn't offer him the 'max' they could offer him did they?

No, they were a couple mil. short, I believe.

They also could've put a poison pill into the contract, like Portland did for Millsap, but they didn't.

DraftExpress twitters:

DeMarcus Cousins appears to be in denial about why anyone could possibly question his intangibles. "Do I come off that way on the court?"

Yeah, DeMarcus, you kinda do.

Heh. That's a unique approach to dealing with the issue.

Tray reply to Brian on May 20 at 15:45

Just to be clear I added the "you kinda do." Cousins, in comportment on the court, is just eerily reminiscent of a Derrick Coleman (maybe it's the headband) or Beasley to me. Or maybe even Vince Carter. By the way, watching Vince Carter and listening to Mark Jackson bloviate about him has to be the most entertaining aspect of the playoffs. Carter can suck all game and then he'll hit an 18-footer and Jackson will go, "AND THAT'S WHY YOU TRADED FOR VINCE CAR. TER. TO. MAKE. BIG. SHOTS." It's like the guy has short-term memory loss or something. Very scary that we considered interviewing him for our coaching job.

He's really a moron. How anyone could possibly hire him as their head coach is beyond me. I think he's just going to keep lobbying from the broadcast booth until ESPN fires him, then he'll fade into the background until he gets hired to do the fantasy hoops show in Fox Sports Midwest.

Tray reply to Brian on May 20 at 17:07

I read somewhere that he suggested guarding Howard with Scalabrine because the other big men had a lot of fouls. I also love his rants about Rondo. "RAJON RONDO is a POINT. GUARD. He is LEADING THIS OFFENSE." Well yes, that's what "POINT. GUARDS" do, but it doesn't mean we need to, in the words of Mark, "HAVE A POLL ABOUT WHO'S THE BEST QUARTERBACK IN BOSTON. TOM BRADY OR RA JON RON DO."

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 20 at 15:50

I still can't figure out what Cousins has actually done to deserve all the red flags. Any idea? Seems like every year a guy gets the red flags coming into the draft, last year it was Jennings and it seems like the "experts" were flat out wrong about the kid having character issues. It just makes me laugh when they call a 19 year old kid immature...no shit.

I don't think Jennings had this type of red flags, it was more that no one knew what to make of him after his year in Europe. The last guy I remember with red flags like this was Beasley, and that hasn't turned out well.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 20 at 16:37

well Jennings went on some weird U-stream with a friend/ marginally famous rapper if I remember correctly. They made kind of a big deal about it because he used the n word pretty often and used it to describe the Knicks for not having him high on their draft board.

Beasley doesn't care about his game. I've seen enough improvement from Cousins throughout his freshman campaign to believe he wants to be a good player. The Derrick Coleman comparisons for Cousins just seem a bit premature to me, a 19 year old kid isn't the same person even 2 or 3 years down the road.

Except in Coleman's case, where he pretty much remained that person his entire career.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 20 at 17:00

There are guys that grow up though. Melo seems like he grew up a little bit, got himself into good shape and now he almost tries to play defense too. As long as Cousins isn't a risk off the court I think it's all overblown (I've read that he isn't a party animal a la Beasley)

It's nice not to have to worry about this though, if the Sixers had gotten the 3rd pick, I imagine we'd be talking about red flags on here endlessly for the next month

Yeah, I really wasn't looking forward to the Favors/Cousins debate.

teddygreen on May 20 at 15:29

Sixers come up a lot in this Raptors podcast. So does Avery Bradley...

teddygreen reply to teddygreen on May 20 at 15:50

Its a pretty long podcast so the jist of it is that he isn't crazy about our drafting of Evan Turner.

He loves Avery Bradley (who i think will go to the Clippers at 8)

He wants to trade Calderon and Banks for Elton Brand

what were his reasons for not liking turner?

Calderon and Banks for Brand, huh? I could get behind that move. Calderon's deal lasts the same length as Brand's, but it's cheaper (significantly so). Banks expires next summer. This would save them some money and Calderon can shoot (or at least he used to be able to shoot), he doesn't turn the ball over. He can give you some minutes off the bench at the point, though he can't defend to save his life.

teddygreen reply to Brian on May 20 at 16:43

He claims that Evans doesn't fill a need. According to him the Sixers don't need a SG or a PF/C, but a PG...

OK, so he's just a total moron. That clears it up.

Mike P reply to Brian on May 20 at 17:18

Wolves and Warriors fanbases think we need a PG too.

Of course I think everyone outside of Philly thinks we need one because no one watches the Sixers. Why would they?

Amazing how incompentent people are that write! I am just getting use to it. How many times have we heard the 76ers need a point guard in the past 6 months? It is like saying the Yankees need atleast 1 Ace for their staff!

Court_visioN on May 20 at 15:55

i stopped listening when the dude said the Sixers have a lot of big men and need a point guard. Trade the #2 pick for Calderon? In your F---ing dreams.

Wait, was he saying Calderon and Banks for Brand and the #2 pick? F that.

teddygreen reply to Brian on May 20 at 16:23

i think its just Calderon and Banks for Brand...

Calderon is bascially an overpaid backup PG. The raptors thought he was a starting PG because he outplayed TJ Ford who himself is nothing more than a backup PG. ..

We would have a glut of guards though with Jrue, Calderon, Lou and Banks...

Banks expires immediately, Lou isn't a PG and can't shoot and that money is already spent on Brand. Calderon would be a savings of about $21.8M over Brand's contract over the next three seasons, and the Sixers would also shave over $1M off their cap number this season, which is a real savings of twice that, since they're over the luxury tax, and it would also mean moving Willie Green alone would get them under the luxury tax, so you could be talking about a total savings of maybe $12M this season.

That being said, I don't see any way the Raptors make that trade unless they're complete morons.

johnrosz reply to Brian on May 20 at 16:49

they could feel pressured to find a replacement for Bosh. I'm pretty sure that we have to accept that EB is here for the long haul though. A nucleus of Turkoglu,Bargnani, Brand, Derozan would probably make them the worst team in the league by a wide margin

teddygreen on May 20 at 16:35

The Raptors are the same organization that gave Kapono a full MLE contract and overpaid on both Hedo and Calderon. So they are pretty moronic. i agree that its not likely but its not impossible...

hey you guys check out this article and be sure to read the comments. Stephen A. is such a douchebag.

I refuse to even click on the link. There are few people I loathe in this world more than Stephen A. Smith.

rchap13 reply to Nick on May 20 at 18:56

its so hilarious the people in the comments of that article are bashing him.

teddygreen on May 20 at 18:50

Kate Fagan said that she heard rumblings that we may trade down to 4.

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. I will say this, though, if they're seriously considering taking offers for that pick, they better create a bidding war between the Nets and the Timberwolves. Even then, it would take a tremendous bounty to get me to give up the pick. The Magic got 3 #1 picks when they traded down from Webber to Penny Hardaway.

Mike P reply to Brian on May 20 at 21:05

What insane before the draft trade would you accept for the number 2 pick?

What if a team was silly enough to take Brand and give us their first, their best young player, and some future 1's?

teddygreen on May 20 at 20:44

Listening to Joe Dumars and the tone of the sports DJs in Detroit, Joe Dumars has to win ASAP. Perhaps we add them to the list of potential bidding war teams....

There's nothing they could put together to get me to drop down to #7. Absolutely nothing.

teddygreen on May 20 at 21:04

Brian, you should listen to this podcast. Its only five minutes long and its two Detroit DJ's lamenting how they should of tanked. The Sixers get mentioned...

Many of the guys on the summer league roster make a living playing outside of the U.S. Reiner played in the ACB League in Spain for most of the 2007-08 season, before finishing the year in Germany.