Pressing Questions - 6/11

this might not ring well with most here but old man Brand is much a better option than Favors at this stage.
Sammy is not sitting until he's traded, well unless you wanna start tanking ahead of schedule.

Favors goes straight to the bench and earns Jason Smith type minutes if I am coach. will slowly progress to larger, more significant minutes but no way I am starting him. rookies belong on the bench. Kid would be lost to start off with. Give him some space.

jkay reply to jkay on Jun 11 at 1:49

oh I forgot to add that if it were Turner, he would be starting 2 guard on the depth chart way before the first official team practice.
cos of course, he's good
and I'm biased.

Didn't you just say rookies belong on the bench?

I think Doug Collins inspired confidence in the owners. They'd be more willing to listen to him than say someone who has never been a head coach before. Plus, maybe being cheap last year taught them a lesson. At least, I hope it did. I wouldn't be surprised if the luxury tax isn't a concern.
Doug made comments about Thad starting at four and Brand at five. If Favors is a starter at the center position, I think he automatically gets a chance as a starter in place of Brand. I also think the FO would be in favor (no pun intended) of this seeing as they view Jrue as the PG of the franchise. Collins also spoke about building correctly. It would make sense to give Jrue and Favors the most playing time together. Also, I don't see Dalembert and Brand as crucial building blocks for this team's future.

Won't be drafting Favors unless some trade is done to acquire a 2 guard(like the Gordon discussion yesterday) for Elton or Sammy. If Favors is drafted must be nurtured. Really think Turner is the man. Can't afford to make a mistake and turn off the fan base again. On the upswing with the Collins signing. Nust not screw up!

deepsixersuede on Jun 11 at 8:06

Favors steps on the court in camp and outworks Sam and runs up ,over and through Elton all day and gets 30 minutes a game as a rookie, some of those minutes at the expense of Elton and Sammy.Starter? Does it matter? I don!t think they will add salary but they may, as tk has been saying, keep all their young guys and bite the bullet this year, rather than give up somebody that blossoms under Collins.

a child with 2 broken legs can outwork that piece of shit Sammy D

scott reply to The Greek on Jun 11 at 9:38

Sammy D isnt a piece of sht, he's got some defensive abilities.

A child with no eyeballs could see that.

The Greek reply to scott on Jun 11 at 16:31

lol, your a fool.

Old School SixerFan reply to The Greek on Jun 11 at 21:15

You were joking, right? Just trying to get a rise out of people?

Last guy to the gym, first guy to leave no I wasn't joking. The losing mentality needs to stop, and that won't happen until we sweep the place of shitbags such as Low Williams and Sammy D who only play for themselves and don't give a fuk about winning or anything that involves winning.

In reference to scott, welcome back lefty glad you got a new fake username.

meant to type lou williams but low fits even better, or maybe I should start calling him Looser Williams.

1. I think they will be adding salary this summer only if they are dumping of one of their larger contracts (trading Brand, Sammy, Igoudala and getting back a contract with more $ but less years) at the same time. I don't think they are just going to dump salary just for the sake of dumping salary.

2. I really don't think Favors is going to be the pick. Everything I have heard and read from Stefanski indicates that E.T. is the guy. While Favors might have more upside being a young, athletic big man this pick is to important for the franchise to miss on and we have seen many young, athletic big man turn into busts. Stefanski will make the safe and probably correct choice and go with E.T.

Ikeepnotmakinganaccount reply to Chodeburger on Jun 11 at 12:41

^^ that's pretty much it.

And I think that if we do end up picking Favors, it'll be because we got a trade offer that we couldn't refuse (Top 4 pick, more picks, and maybe some ECs) and traded away Brand. Therefore, imo, Speights and Dalembert would start and Favors would start his NBA career playing 20+ minutes a night with the chance to earn a starting spot either at the 4 or 5.

But most likely, we'll be picking ET with the #2 pick.

Myleskong on Jun 11 at 9:02

Gut feeling...
1.) After the Flyers run, money is no object to Snider. Stefanski is given carte blanche to get Collins whatever he needs to do the job(WIN NOW!!!).

2.) If Favors is the pick, I do not think he starts early on. He may work his way into the starting line-up. He would have earn minutes in practice to play. HE will not be given a #2-pick pass.

2a.) If it's Turner, I think we acquire a vet 2 guard to be somewhat of a mentor to him. I could see us grabbing a Mike Finley or Jerry Stackhouse type.

I got a feeling we're going to go hard this off-season.

Rodney Buford reply to Myleskong on Jun 14 at 14:54

Stackhouse - sure.

Finley - stop. Please.

Luxury tax
I would agree. While the Sixers will not make any crazy moved to get urn the tax ( aka trading the #2), I am sure they will at least avoid adding significant salary, and keep enough of the expiring salaries to make sur they are under the tax for next year.

I doubt very much that Favors would start. He will likely start as the 3rd big, coming in primarily to spell Sammy. As the season progresses, he might take over the starting center spot, but initially, kid gloves. Kind of similar to Jrue last year, actually.

Turner comes in as the immediate starting SG. He has the experience to come right in, and Collins has plenty of experience in bringing along talented rookie swingmen.

Tunrer is probably the pick though. From a general fanbase and marketing perspective, He is marketable immediately, where Favors is not. Sticking with the money discussion.

Unless Brand shows he is really back at full strength i think Favors starts at PF with Dalambert at C. Just like Orlando kept Howard at PF the first year allowing him to fully blossom physically by not playing directly against bigger and stronger competition at all.

As much as i love Favors though Turner is the pick.

The weirdest thing of all is that Turner and Favors would complement each other perfectly. Just dreaming of course.

I hate Elton Brand. Why couldn't he stay in LA?

Does anyone else find Glenn "Big Baby" Davis to be extremely annoying?

What I find annoying is the 76ers passed on Big Baby in that draft and got Jason Smith.

Donald reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 10:23

Then you should also be annoyed by the fact that they passed on Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kendrick Perkins.

Setting all of that aside,
Him and Garnett are just intolerable

Donald reply to Donald on Jun 11 at 10:24

they also passed on Rajon Rondo

We also passed on Kobe! hahahaha

Myleskong reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 10:26

Smith owned him in the workouts. I liked Davis loads coming out. However, I don't think he would be anywhere near this productive had he not been under KG's wing. So, had we drafted him, we'd probably still be in the same boat.

Alvin reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 10:56

To be fair a number of teams passed on Big Baby. And we're not the only team to waste a draft pick on a soft big man.

I completely agree, but wouldnt it be nice to be the ones to look smart on stealing a player more often. Getting Holiday in the last draft was so refreshing.

To add on, When was the last time the 76ers called someone up from the D-League? When has an undrafted rookie came to camp, impressed and made the team? There are talented players out there for the taking, but I just don't see the 76ers as active as they should be on mining talent and finding hidden gems.

Fredino reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 11:19

When has that happened in the last 5 years to any team? This isnt the NFL

Why do the Warriors find shooters every year? The Jazz found a starting SG in Wes Mathews. I don't expect the 76ers to find a star, but a decent bench player wouldn't hurt especially one that can hit a jump shot. The 76ers don't even use 10-day contracts, it's not like the 76ers are overflowing with talent.

Myleskong reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 11:38

Don Nelson.
He's a shooter generating machine.

JohnEMagee reply to RockP on Jun 11 at 11:47

To call up someone from the D-league the sixers must use the d-league

I believe Lou Williams made one d-league appearance and that's the extent of the sixers use of the d-league, which i really don't care about - the sixers are god awful and d-league guys are bench guys - even on the warriors - and the sixers have bigger issues.

Of course the 76ers have bigger issues to tackle, but shouldn't they be able to multi-task.

Lou Williams was a beast in the D-League. I think he averaged 31 pts there

It's OT, but I've often thought that the NBA is missing an opportunity by not developing the Development League concept more seriously.

Suppose every NBA team had it's own D-league team and the success of those teams had some minor benefit to the NBA team - I'm not sure what, maybe helps them with draft position, or a salary cap exemption, or home court in the playoffs, or something else along those lines. If the right balance was struck so that the NBA teams were motivated to field competitive D-league teams this could have all the following benefits:

1) Extra avenues for generating fan interest and revenue, especially in third tier markets.

2) Improves quality of actual NBA games by removing motivation for teams to carry so many young high potential guys who don't yet deserve NBA floor minutes.

3) Helps young players develop faster in actual, better quality games.

JohnEMagee reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 12:57

It's a recession
d-league teams cost A LOT of money
and unlike the MLB minor league there's a very competetive league over there in europe where d-league guys can make a lot more money.

The salaries in the d-league would have to probably triple for it to be taken seriously

My vision of this NBA farm league is that it would bring in a lot more revenue. Perhaps an amount similar per game to a lower ranked NCAA division I school, but with a lot more games per season. Some of the star player salaries would not really be adding a lot of intrinsic cost because they are guys that are mostly sitting on NBA benches now. You make a good point that European leagues compete for the same players, but a lot of guys would value being able to stay in the U.S. and have closer access to NBA teams and scouts, so I don't think the avg. salary would need to be high to yield a good product. In any case, my idea - whether you think it would work or not - is that the league would be a net economic positive for the NBA, considering both its direct costs vs. revenues and its effect on NBA costs and revenues.

JohnEMagee reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 17:47

I appreciate your world view of what a minor league would be like - but it wouldn't be - it wouldn't be profitable or popular especially since the 'best yougn players' go straight to the NBA so there's no appeal of seeing a 'strasburg' or a 'harper' that minor league teams in baseball can hype up sometimes. Very few major league players in baseball skip the minors entirely (leake in Cincinatti is one I believe) whereas the guys who would get sent to the minor leagues in the NBA are guys not good enough yet to play in the nba team that only plays 8/9 players a night.

You may be right, but there are other dissimilarities to minor league baseball in what I'm proposing. One of them is based on the idea I gave above about creating a tangible competitive synergy between the NBA team and the D-league team, to the point where each NBA team has a some significant interest in wanting their affiliated D-league team to win. That means that if I player would be a star on the D-league team and just a minor role player on the NBA team they might rather have the player on the D-league team. The effect of this would be to create more interest in the D-league teams from NBA fans and more interest in the corresponding NBA team from the fans in the third tier regions that have the D-league teams. NCAA basketball is another point of comparison. Even weaker NCAA basketball teams draw a lot more fans than NCAA baseball teams, so it's possible that more people would be intrinsically interested in seeing D-league basketball compared to minor league baseball if they had more of a story line and publicity and the games had greater intensity (akin to NCAA basketball). For instance, I'm amazed by the quality and competitiveness of some of the HS games played by teams in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'm also assuming that the NBA would do away with its one-and-done rule if they were pursuing this sort of idea.

JohnEMagee reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 18:03

And what sort of 'tangible incentive' are you going to tie to an NBA based on the performance of a minor league player?

Expanding on the ideas I listed above:

a) the size of salary cap exception for the next season could be based on the W-L/playoff performance of the minor league team
b) there could be some benefit for the draft, say the order of picking in the second round is based on the minor league team performance
c) determining home court advantage in the playoffs could be based on the minor league team performance

The above are just examples. The idea would be roughly to balance things so the NBA team would rather have a player assigned as a D-league star than a out of the rotation bench player in the NBA, so if the examples I mention above are either too significant or too insignificant to have that effect, they could be adjusted accordingly.

JohnMagee reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 18:57

Bud Selig is that you?

It's like determining home field advantage in the world series by determining who wins an irrelevant scrimmage...

Those are nice gimmicks I guess, but the NBA doesn't really need the d-league to provide for success...this whole conference realignment while primarily about college football i think is going to have a rather large impact on basketball as well and Stern is going to get himself AT LEAST one more year in the next CBA.

The NBA doesn't need the d-league any more than it already has it - they tried to 'force' teams to own them - just like they tried to 'force' teams to own wnba teams - many teams laughed - the lakers aid 'fine we'll buy a d-league team but we don't want our wnba team any more - find us a buyer'

If you don't like any of those particular suggestions then it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something different.

The NBA benefits if they can create both more pro basketball fans and more fans that feel some sort of connection to a particular team. Creating a muti-tiered league with affiliations between multiple teams would be one way to do that. The league would also benefit from providing more incentives for each NBA team to maximize their current performance as a team rather than carrying so many spare parts that might develop to be more useful later, as many teams do now.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 21:08

nobody would ever watch nba D-league. the nba fully sponsors and markets the wnba. it can never exist on its own. nobody watches it.

In order to attract a lot of fans they need a) entertaining product, b) easy opportunity for enough fans, and c) fans need to feel some sort of connection to the players and the team. Right now, of course, most D-league teams have none of those things. The ideas I am talking about are designed to change all three. The players would be better on avg. than most NCAA division I college ball teams, and lots of people watch those because they feel some connection to the teams, there is more media coverage, and the individual games are played with greater intensity.

Riddle me this.

Some people have been debating on whether sixers should draft favors or turner (alot over at liberty ballers actually). But, if you look at the past ten years what you really need to win a championship is an all star caliber shooting guard (along with other really good players). Guys like rip hamilton, kobe, ray allen, and manu ginobili are what you need to win because they give you points, assists, some rebounding and are passable if not good at defense. If turner turns out to be a shooting guard and can shoot the three and ft well then we would be in good shape. If iguodala could have done that wed be fine but I dont see that happening. If you look at the stats, i think turner actually shot 44% from three his sophomore year and 78% from the line. He may have just been asked to do too much his junior year. he also did not take too many shots to really prove how he is at shooting. Has there been any shooting workouts for him that have been posted on how hes shot compared to others?

Either way we need turner more then we need favors if we want to build a contender at some point in the future. (or get lebron in fa)

ojr107 reply to paul on Jun 11 at 13:35

Big men we're just as important, if not more important to those championship teams you mentioned above. I think Duncan/Shaq/Garnett/Ben Wallace had more to do with those championships then the Shooting guards you mentioned.

Myleskong reply to paul on Jun 11 at 13:37

There is a BIG hole in your argument.

Guys like rip hamilton, kobe, ray allen, and manu ginobli had the wallaces, shaq and gasol, kg, and timmy duncan.
So, really if we can get turner AND favors we can win a championship. lol

jkay reply to paul on Jun 11 at 16:46

we just need good players, flat out.
Turner is now and may be a better player than what Favors will end up as.
I think Turner shooting well within the arc is a good sign that with reps and practice his range can increase. even if it doesnt he can still be very good.

I think Turner's personality will be an excellent mesh with Iguodala's. two of them could bring some cockiness to this team...then again not sure if thats a good thing entirely but I think as much as this team needs leadership, it also needs confidence. especially after last season. if fan interest is anything to get a read on, they must think they suck.

I agree with "we just need players, flat out". I'm not going to argue that Favors was a better college player last year than POY Turner. But when you dig a bit, you find that his performance was *way* above what shows up on a basic stat sheet. He was extremely effective on defense and rebounding, shot over 60% FG, and spent a lot of time setting screens. These things do show up in his plus/minus stats which are among the highest in this draft on a per 40 minute basis and much higher than all of his GTech teammates: http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?q=plusminus&year=2009/10&league=NCAA&per=pergame&qual=prospects&sort2=DESC&pos=&stage=&min=20&conference=&sort=8

Even in the NCAA playoff game that his team lost to Turner's favored Ohio State squad, Favors would have been about +6/40: http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2010/03/21/georgia-tech-66-ohio-state-75

Some nice play by play analysis here: http://netsarescorching.com/2010/06/10/film-session-why-i-like-derrick-favors/#more-9551

Another typical highlight is the first play of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxlvflM5WE
You see Favors starts out trying to set a screen, his teammate goes the other way and shoots when Favors is straddling the free throw circle, and he proceeds to beat his man badly to the rebound and tip it in.

The guy is a good player.

Breaking a longer reply into parts because it has multiple links...

tbc...

...part 2...

Even in the NCAA playoff game that Favors' team lost to Turner's favored Ohio State squad, Favors would have been about +6/40: http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2010/03/21/georgia-tech-66-ohio-state-75

...part 4...

The guy is a good player.

EOM.

jkay reply to izimbra on Jun 11 at 23:17

excellent work by whoever owns that Nets blog putting that piece together.