Early Predictions: Jason Smith

As much as I like to harp on T-rex's arms... look at these 2 players tale of the tape:

Ht(socks):..6'10.75"....6'10.5"
Wingspan:...6'10.75"....7'1.25"
Reach:......8'10........8'10.5"
Vert:.......33.5".......32.5"
Max vert:...37.5".......37.5"
Bench reps:.15..........12
===============================
Def reb%:...14.7%.......27.6

So No, its not the arms.

BTW, bonus points if you tell me who that other player is

Joakim Noah. Does Smith have a really short neck or something? 3 more inches on his wingspan and only 0.5 more inches on standing reach. Seems odd.

Anyway, the arms aren't the only problem, they're just the most fun to mock. He's just not really a talented basketball player on the NBA level, but he does give effort, and I do still think he was the best big defending the P&R last season.

MylesKong reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 10:04

Doesn't the extra inches in wingspan suggest the player has a wider chest?

Usually, it suggests they have longer arms.

Charlie H reply to tk76 on Aug 4 at 8:30

Speights?

What a lot of people overlook is that Smith is a good shooter. In Collins' system, he should get a few 20-foot looks, if he plays good enough defense to stay in the game for 5 or 6 minutes at a time. I can see him making 50 3-pointers this year.

He's also a very good athlete.

Brian answered it. It is Noah.

Is it Kevin Love?

Love is shorter.

Love has the same standing reach, but a much lower center of gravity. Not just him being shorter- but the extra 30 pounds that is mostly in his backside. That really helps if you know how to box out.

Another guy about the same age with the same reach:

Ht: 6' 8.75"
Wingspan: 7' 0.75"
Reach: 8' 11"
vert: 31.0
max vert: 35.5
reps:20
=================
def reb% 24 (career)

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Al-Horford-415/#ixzz0vbvVXEH3

And lastly, my favorite long-armed, super-athlete with about the same reach and insane hops (maybe taller now?):

Ht: 6' 5.75"
Wingspan: 6' 11.5"
Reach: 8' 10"
Vert: 34.5
Max Vert: 37.0
Bench: 13
=====================
Dreb%: 12.4 career

zig reply to tk76 on Aug 4 at 1:44

that rebounding number leads me to believe it is sir thaddeus

yep

Another guy about the same age with the same reach:

Ht: 6' 8.75"
Wingspan: 7' 0.75"
Reach: 8' 11"
vert: 31.0
max vert: 35.5
reps:20
=================
def reb% 24 (career)

BTW- this is Horford.

Since we are pretty close to the luxury tax, I like idea of unloading Jason Smith in a salary dump for some financial relief and a heavily protected second round pick ala the Marcus Camby salary dump with the Clippers and Nuggets of a few years ago.

Jason reply to Mack on Aug 4 at 1:51

Hollingers analysis there is spot on lol.

we're not getting a 2nd rounder for smith lol. only way we move him is in combination w/ other expiratings and take on a contract (most likely bad).

I hope he can get back to his preinjury level; his rookie year he was a good 10 minute a night guy who blocked a shot, ran the floor and set the best screens on the team. He seemed slower and more robotic last year and to me he is a good 3rd center on a running team if he recaptures his earlier form.

Question for you guys: how different is he from the starting p.f. on our championship team [M.Iavaroni] ? Couldn!t he, for 2 million per, be a good end of bench guy.

Charlie H reply to deepsixersuede on Aug 4 at 8:37

Iavaroni was a good athlete and always played hard, an okay rebounder. Smith is much more skilled. Role-wise, they would be similar - Iavaroni was a banger and a defensive forward who's job it was to buy minutes for Bobby Jones. Is Smith a banger? Not really, but from what I've seen, he's not afraid of contact, either.

Iavaroni was a banger and a defensive forward whose job it was to buy minutes for Bobby Jones.

Right, and I think Iavaroni was the Sixers' answer for Kurt Rambis. The one thing he was above average at was low-post defense (which is actually one of Jason Smith's weaknesses -- Smith is much better as a help defender). Other than that, Iavaroni was the Sixers' designated goon in case an opponent (for example, the Celtics' M.L. Carr) tried to "play rough" with the Sixers' stars.

Funny you mention Bobby Jones, because whenever I would play the 82-83 Sixers in Strat-O-Matic, I would play Iavaroni his obligatory 6 minutes at the start of the 1st and 3rd and sub in Bobby Jones. I couldn't get Jones in fast enough!

Charlie H reply to Statman on Aug 4 at 23:57

Neither could Cunningham.

Iavaroni used to be called "Rambis East." Pretty funny.

I remember seeing Iavaroni air-ball a dunk attempt. Hard to do.

Not much different at all. The main difference is Iavaroni had a bunch of hall-of-famers around him, and it was really a different game back then. Man, Iavaroni's numbers were just terrible.

If 82-83 Moses Malone walked through a time machine, he would solve a lot of the current Sixers' problems all by himself ...

k-house on Aug 4 at 14:16

My only problem with JSmith is what does he give us at his salary that Amundsen wouldn't for maybe the vet minimum...sheesh!

Amundson gives much, much more.

Amundsen is looking for more than the vet minimum

I'm wondering if he'll find it.

I believe he will

TruePhan on Sep 4 at 8:16

Again, this is late but I'm late to this blog.

Personally I think Speights and Smith should play together for that second unit. You can interchange them, and both balance each other out nicely. Speights is more of a shotblocker while Smith is a guy who bodies up to the guy he's defending in the post sort of like Tyson Chandler has been doing on Team USA. That frontcourt in a 2nd unit could be scary if Speights ever reaches his potential as a shotblocking defensive force.