Jasner: Sixers in on Melo

The name mentioned by Jasner is not the Nuggets GM, it's a small thing, but it demonstrates to me a lack of quality reporting. He's the VP of basketball operations.

Yeah, it just seems odd to me that Stefanski would be making the call, unless it was just a due diligence, we know we have no shot, let's let Eddie make the call kind of thing. Maybe if it gets serious they'll get Thorn involved.

I guess they figure they're still paying Stefanski, so he can handle the weekend phone calls while Thorn actually enjoys his weekend. Makes sense, not sure what else Stefanski would really do since Thorn has essentially taken his job.

I see your point very well Brian on Iguodala costing less than Carmelo, but I do think Carmelo is better (although I do find Iguodala very underrated, especially by Sixer fans), and he puts fans in the seats, which makes the franchise more attractive to other players and, I think, makes the team play better because it's simply more fun to play in front of a packed house.

I'd support Iguodala and expirings for Carmelo with an extension. Nonetheless I wold never trade both Turner and Iguodala for Carmelo, that's a joke (although Billy King seems to be offering something similar--Favors and Harris--PLUS 2 first rounders. Unconscionable).

Why do you find Carmelo better? Overall they compare pretty well. Iguodala is more all around and Carmelo is more of a scorer only

I agree Iguodala has a more all around game. But Carmelo is one of the best scorers in the game, and it seems pretty darn hard to go anywhere in the NBA these days without a top scorer. We don't have any 20ppg guys, let alone 26/27 guys. Hard to pass on that if we can get it (not that I think we can).

I don't believe the sixers can get Anthony without giving up Iguodala which makes it a silly trade in my book. Iguodalas all around game is as useful as Anthony's scoring centric game. The sixers need a scorer to go WITH iguodala.

But I don't believe Anthony would agree to come to the sixers without Iguodala and even if he did I don't believe he'd agree to an extension.

Joe reply to stoned81 on Sep 26 at 20:25

I replied to stoned81.

With this comment system, I find it hard to tell who people are replying to in situations like the one I just created.

In the old system, there were those lines...

I liked the lines.

Better?

Joe reply to Brian on Sep 27 at 13:47

Cool. Still ironing out a couple more things, but we're pretty close to done now.

Melo knows that it's all about the cheesesteaks and pretzels baby.

I hope that it's a package that includes Turner instead as I would rather keep Iggy & play him at SG. However, if this is true, I applaud Thorn for doing his due diligence here in recognizing that our line-up needs work. Now whether Melo is the answer is certainly debatable but at least he realizes this team needs more if it's going to compete. I mean in many ways he's the perfect person as GM for us. He's repected & smart plus given his age, we finnaly have someone trying to improve us without worrying about his job!

If the Sixers can deal Iggy and expirings and get Carmelo Anthony back on an extension, lets do it.

But if we have to include first round picks? No way.

We should be going young and waiting to make our move when Brands contract runs out. Lets help Jersey ruin their future and get Favors too.

I'd gladly throw Iggy out there for Favors and an expiring back. We get another lottery pick next year, the youngsters get tons of time, our team begins rebuilding the right way.

But getting Melo for just Iggy and a bunch of expirings? Yes, 1000 times yes. You guys may talk about how much Andre's D does this and that and blah blah blah, but Melo can take over a game and has shown he can be a leader. He is also in his prime and is basically unguardable.

Do me a favor

Look at the roster Carmelo Anthony had for his career when he was 'taking over games' and the roster that Iguodala had?

Carmelo is guardable, and even with all the talent on that roster, has he made an NBA finals? His contribution isn't that much more than Iguodalas and he isn't worth 25 mil per

Mike P reply to GoSixers on Sep 26 at 19:14

1. They were in the West.

2. They never had a REAL number two to put next to him. (Chauncy is not that guy, he helped focus the team, but he's no Pau)

3. Do me a favor and go look at how many times the Sixers have been over .500, won the division, or won a round in the previously lesser eastern conference after Iggy became the focal point of the team.

I get it, you'll miss Iggy when he's gone. We all will. It's astonishing that Sixers fans of all people are willing to debate the cost of true stars when we've been stuck with Iggy and Brand team killing contracts for the past couple of years.

"OH BUT 'DRE'S CONTRACT ISN'T THAT BAD!"

It wouldn't be if he was on the Lakers where he would be the 4th option. As a first option, that contract has put us into medicrityville until we get a new star. A first round exiting .500 team is the highest an Andre Iguodala led team can take us.

If they aren't going to deal him, let us hope The Villain and Jrue can become the backcourt we all think they can be.

So, you are ignoring the fact that Carmelo has had much more talent around him his entire career and that aside from his points, he does very little (if anything) better than Andre Iguodala.

I understand it.

The flaw in your (and the sixers) thinking is the expectation that Andre Iguodala is a primary scoring option, never has been, never will be. The 'fans' who ignore what he can do and focus instead on him not averaging 20 points per game are why I can't wait for him to be traded to a team with a fan base that might appreciate what he is instead of what he isn't.

It's a standard philadelphia problem, Abreu, Mcnabb, etc...

Iguodala has been praised all summer, the Nuggets reportedly WANT Iguodala if they trade Anthony.

I suppose the Nuggets don't know as much as you do?

Mike P reply to GoSixers on Sep 26 at 22:01

If you want to use the "More talent around him thing" then you can throw the whole less talented conference at Iggy. I mean if they are the SAME guy except Iggy scores 8 points less a game and play such amazing defense that should mean the sixers should have had a lot more wins just from his amazing franchise play alone.

Look, no one is saying he is a bad player, but when your franchise guy is an 80 million dollar 3rd option, things aren't going well and need to be changed.

You don't give 80 million to a "defensive stalwart" (who didn't even get any defensive player of the year award vote, NONE last year) and expect to be a good team.

What else do you want me to look at if not for his amazing D? The record? The way he keeps shooting threes when he should never do so?

He is a talented player that is overpaid and miscast. For our rebuilding team he should be looked at as a trading chip.

And the Nuggets want him because he is the best player on our lackluster team. Duh.

PS - Abreu left and we won the WS.

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Sep 26 at 20:13

The guy was on a team that took the Lakers to game 7 of the Western Conference Finals...If you don't value him because of his defensive deficiencies that's understandable, but if you're trying to use the argument that he can't win (especially in defense of AI9, who can't get out of the first round), that's just ridiculous...

It was 6 games that year against the Lakers, but that's neither here nor there. On the other hand, it's not unreasonable to ask whether Carmelo is a "winner," and being in the West doesn't entirely excuse the poor playoff performance of the Nuggets while he's been there:

* 1-6 in first round playoff series
* 4-20 in playoff games until Billups arrived
* lost two first round playoff series as the higher seed
* never won any playoff series as the lower seed

Now, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that a team properly built around Carmelo-Jrue-Turner could eventually lead the Sixers to a first-round win as, say, a #4 seed in the East. But to make any argument in favor of Carmelo's ability to "win" in the playoffs based on his career to this point would be pure speculation.

johnrosz reply to Statman on Sep 26 at 23:36

I'm not saying he's a winner. However, to imply that he is a "loser" when arguing the merits of Melo/Iguodala is ridiculous. Even with everything you've just mentioned, his body of work as far as playoff success far exceeds anything Iguodala has ever done. Seems irrational to me to question Melo's post season track record while completely ignoring Iguodala's, that's all

teddygreen on Sep 26 at 18:43

This is just Denver trying hardball Melo to report to camp, or otherwise they'll trade him to philadelphia.

Not a big surprise, report says Carmelo Anthony doesn't want to come to Philadlephia. New Jersey has a willing to spend new owner and the plan to move to the Bronx. It's not the Knicks but at least it's NY for him.

Though the longer it takes to finish, the less likely the deal is to close I believe.

I still don't get Utah in this.

eddies' heady's on Sep 26 at 21:07

Ditto on those lines mentioned above.

Hm, i would have to think about it, we would be able to flip Carmelo Anthony right? Like we acquire him now then say we could trade him again During the season?

Mike P reply to Jason on Sep 26 at 22:16

It'd be nice to get Melo and flip him to the Nets immediately for the Favors and picks package while throwing in our garbage to make the trade work.

Jason reply to Mike P on Sep 26 at 22:26

Really the only baseline i'd be looking for is to get fair value for Iguodala not Carmelo, so we would end up having a much lower asking price. We trade for melo now, and we only play him sparingly while he's here and we tell him we'll trade him, just don't fuck it up by being a primadonna.

Then we wait and see what happens during the regular season, maybe the nets get off to a good start (reasonable they have a decent roster) and Melo would then want to sign an extension there. We could trade Melo and try to get Favors+ we'll then be able to take ppl that aren't eligible to be traded before 11/15 back which would let the nets keep their starting lineup in tact.

Even if he doesn't want to go to NJ we would still be able to get some value back for him. We could trade him to Houston for Shane Battier and JAred Jeffries expirings for NYKs pick in 2012 and maybe Jordan hill, but if not we'd still be getting very good value back on Iguodala b/c we'd essentially have 16 million freed up.

I'm sure NYK would give us a gallinari for Carmelo right now if he'd sign an extension and guarantee that he'll play there.

+ You'd have a wildcard of other teams that could be interested in him.

Obviously this would never happen so not sure why i even think about it.

Agreed. Since King is offering way too much for Carmelo, I'd love to get a piece of that. Iguodala and expirings to Denver, Carmelo to the Nets, Favors and a couple draft picks for Carmelo. Not sure why we wouldn't want to be involved in a three-way trade when the Nets are seemingly so desperate.

My guess is they aren't looking to move Iguodala, but if they can get Melo, they'd do it. I'm not crazy about the logic, but from a business standpoint, they'd sell a ton more tickets if they got Melo for Iguodala, may even win a few more games. If they trade Iguodala for Favors and expiring contracts, you're looking at an even emptier arena this season.

This is probably accurate, I'd agree with that.