Sixers @ Raptors - Preseason Game 5

Should be interesting to see who's worse.

Turkoglu is a 'loss'?

So who is the worst team in the East this year?

Two of the top candidates reside in the atlantic :)

Is there a link online for the game?

Latvian Motocross replay on CSN Philly right now. Do you think they actually give a shit that someone would like to watch the game?

Ryan F reply to Ryan F on Oct 13 at 19:04

I'm sorry it is TCN, but still..

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:06

That is strange. When I went to their main site, the link did not work?

johnrosz reply to tk76 on Oct 13 at 19:15

that site is always bizarre for me. Sometimes I get different links for what i can/can't watch based on if I'm using Chrome or Firefox

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:14

ET just blew by his man, nice dish under the basket to Thad for the deuce

It is so frustrating watching our interior defense.

It's only frustrating if you believe there will be any. If you accept - it's not frustrating :)

Alvin reply to Ryan F on Oct 13 at 19:51

What interior defense?

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:17

Turner picks up his 2nd foul bc Brand can't grab an easy board...

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:18

If EB isn't going to exert any effort than just don't play him

Ugh. Time Warner blows. This should be on my TV, but it says you need league pass to view. Only problem is, you can't order League Pass yet.

Nice look from Jrue to Sp8s on the drive, sp8s bobbled though.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:24

Good find by Jrue, Speights just botched it

Brand doesn't really have much to play for. Any remaining value he has is as a Juwan Howard type; he'll get an enormous pay cut once his contract's through. And he's incapable of showing that he can be a helpful wily old veteran on such a bad team. We're also not good enough that he has anything to compete for.

johnrosz reply to Tray on Oct 13 at 19:27

I can think of 80 million damn good reasons why he should compete

And if you think Elton Brand isn't competing, you're probably a fool.

The will and the body don't always match up. I believe he's doing the best his body is capable of.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:25

Is anyone else concerned about how poorly Elton is doing the things DC wants from him? (d and rebounding)

Is anyone happy with any facet of this team right now?

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 19:27

uhhh...I think the jerseys look a little bit better since they went to the more traditional mesh look...

Thad looking pretty sweet with the shot so far. And he even got a board!

Speights has to be the starter even if they're going to go small with Thad at the 4. So far he has been the best big on both ends of the floor.

Jason reply to Ryan F on Oct 13 at 19:36

I agree with this, EB and Thad can't rebound. I also think he should be given the ball more when we get to the final 7 seconds on the shot clock, he seems to be the best scorer even when putting up a contested shot.

Speights isn't much of a defensive rebounder, or passer, or anything but a shooter

Jason reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:41

He's still our best big unfortunately.

he's the best big if you want to score only
Thaddeus is the best 3 if all you want to do is score
WIllie Green was a great guard if all you wanted was scoring

There's a them here, the sixers roster is fracked

Ryan F reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:48

exactly. he so far to me, is actually boxing out the most and exerting the most effort to secure rebounds, and he is a much better scorer.

Well, Brand and Thad have doubled their defensive rebounding output from last night, so that's good.

I also wonder whether Iguodala's experience in the Worlds will lead him to be disgusted with this loser of a team, mail it in, and ultimately ask out. Everyone thinks the experience will somehow rebound to our benefit, but isn't it possible that after playing on a winner he asks himself, "what am I doing here?"

Jason reply to Tray on Oct 13 at 19:32

I think the way it made people think it would benefit the sixers was raising his trade value and having more experience, which i think it did. I also don't think Iggy is the one to mail it in even if he has asked to be traded. But yes, I can see Iguodala wanting to be moved this season, he got a taste of the good life.

Sometimes as a fan of the Sixers I find myself thinking the same thing :)

Mike P reply to Tray on Oct 13 at 19:33

You'd have to consider him a huge dummie if he wasn't thinking that for at least the last two years.

He should have been like "Hell yeah trade me!"

I guess he is just too much of a stand up guy for that. Good for him. He deserves to be on a good team. It's not his fault Stefanski overpaid him.

And yeah, our jerseys are great now. Too bad there is no one worth buying one of.

I want Iguodala traded for his own good, the fan base (meager as it is) mostly doesn't appreciate him, even after the performance at worlds and the praise from almost every OTHER corner of the NBA. The idiot talking heads scape goat him and the morons who listen to them bob their heads without having any knowledge.

He's the Abreu of the sixers and should be trade dsomewhere they appreciate what he can do

Mike P reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:43

So he is playing on an awful team no one cares about and needs to go so we can get at least some assets to begin a rebuilding?

That pretty much sums it up. Poor Iggy.

Too bad the ownership doesn't give a damn.

He's also vastly under appreciated but an ignorant 'old school' majority of the fan base

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:54

Iguodala deserves as much ownership of the poor record this team as anyone. If you're implying he's guilt free I strongly disagree

Nowhere did I say he was guilt free

But a fanbase that expects things from him HES NEVER DONE IN HIS CAREER just because he makes more money - while continuing to do all the things he's always done very very well and then gives him grief about it is an ignorant fan base that doesn't know how to appreciate what a player can do. Abreu went through the same issues, he was traded for a sack of used baseballs AND the phillies gave away a pitcher (and I refuse to acknowledge any asinine locker room 'know how to win bull that is inevitably spun from the old school ignorance to make it seem like giving away one of the best offensive players in the game at a time led to a world series win) and when the sixers (not if) trade Iguodala they won't get a good value because they'll be motivated sellers because the fan base doesn't comprehend what they have or know how to appreciate it.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:45

Abreu... maybe not the perfect analogy. I don't want to argue that losing him somehow made us better, but his post-Phillies career hasn't been that special. What we have in his position now is about as good as he was in his prime. Certainly a lot better than what he's been the past few years.

You realize how long ago Abreu was traded right? He was pretty good on the yankees

Jrue stuck on the center, fights around to front and knocks away the entry pass. Pretty defensive play.

Nocioni building a house.

Raptors end the quarter on an 8-0 run.

Sixers losing 19-24.

The mullet is feeling it.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:37

Looks like the offense puts guys in positions to make shots, they just aren't making them. I think it has to due with a lack of talent but I'm not sure

If it's beyond 12 feet (or less) it's lack of talent. This team doesn't really have shooters

Rich reply to johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:41

The offense looks good to me when the players run it. Really seems to encourage making the extra pass but they just haven't made good looks.

Nice! Songaila and Nocioni at the same time.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 19:44

they definitely have actual offensive sets this year. you're seeing a lot more 2 man stuff, give and go and the like. I prefer it to whatever they were doing last year

I wonder if the offensive sets confuse Thad like they did last year. He seemed to excel when no plays were called for him and we all wanted plays called for him, maybe hi bball iq doesn't allow for plays

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 19:47

he's playing pretty well tonight. the target for criticism thus far should be EB if you're looking for one

I'm not looking for one - most people here usually are though and now that Sam isn't here, EB seems to be scapegoat number one (unless you hate Iguodala of course)

holiday already has 6 rebs

Rich reply to zig on Oct 13 at 19:46

4, 6, 6, and 2 steals already for Jrue. Two turnovers, but this is a very good start from him.

Iguodala's a winner all of a sudden because he played a secondary role on a champion with an excellent coach and a budding NBA superstar and other strong accompaniment in a third tier international tournament? If he thinks he's better than his Sixers teammates, that's his delusion. If he mails it in, that's his disgrace. He ain't proved nothin' yet. And Philly knows it.

Tray reply to jjg on Oct 13 at 19:47

Oh, he's better than all but one of his teammates.

Who's better than him on this team?

Mike P reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 19:50

I think he meant better not in skill but in class.

Who's better in class? Iguodala's the first guy at practice, last guy to leave. Never complains. Plays hurt. Never been in trouble on or off the floor.

Mike P reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 19:55

Calm down, he's just saying he thinks Iggy might think he's better then the rest of the team now from the Worlds.

Obviously he doesn't.

Iggy is like the hottest button topic in the world here. Holy crap.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 20:02

he has his own shooting/conditioning coaches though

A. Who cares if he has his own shooting conditioning coaches, it shows a dedication and willingness to spend your own money to get better - not sure how that's selfish - Sam NEVER got a fucking shooting coach, or basic basketball skills coadch. You don't hear about Thad hiring someone to help him with his god awful shot do you? The sixers shooting coach needs to work with UP TO FIFTEEN PLAYERS. If you think your shot needs work and you DON"T hire a coach, that's selfish.

and to JJG

I see where you're coming from. But, to me, Iggy the NBA star is an illusion. Different opinions.

No one said star. And your opinion is based on very few facts and some sort of psychic psychology that allows yo to analyze his motivations and why he does things without having met the man. Which is just awesome and I hope it makes you feel better, but Andre Iguodala is the best NBA player CURRENTLY on the sixers and was praised by NUMEROUS people this off season whose basketball opinions probably carry more weight than your miss cleo act

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 20:33

i was joking

Oh, sorry :)

Sometimes hard to tell as there are folk who would find that 'selfish' here, I have no doubt about that.

Rough day at work made me blurry and I was ctaching up and missed it - sorry about that

But there is a point that I find it silly (and maybe selfish) when a guy who is such a god awful shooter (like Thaddeus Young) isn't paying someone to help him in the off season. It's kind of like when Shaq never bothered getting better at free throws. It was a selfish act to me that he didn't work on the giant flaw in his game.

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 20:56

Thad has been going to Mark Price's shooting school for a few years I believe. He made great strides before Randy Ayers offered to "fix" his jumper throughout the course of last season

It wasn't working very well before Ayers messed with him either.

Shooting Clinic and Shooting coach are two very different things.

Thad's shot is awful - it needs serious work - one on one -for like a whole off season

Somebody's a serious Iggy fan. Pardon me, I need time to collect myself. Good post in emotional support of the stylin' self-conscious clangmaster.

Well, when you find some facts and figures to support your argument that Andre Iguodala isn't a very good basketball player, feel free to bring them.

BTW - his PPG numbers don't qualify as supporting your argument

Laughable: [paraphrased] back up argument with numbers but don't mention ppg. "Very good" basketball players don't need protection from an overzealous fan/editor.

Andre "The Very Good": 17 playoff games (where "very good" players are expected to shine): .414 FG, .663 FT, 40.9 mpg, 15.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 5.0 apg, 3.2 turnovers pg, WS 0.7 WS/48 0.047 (a whopping 47/1000ths above average). A main cog (mild misnomer as it implies steady function) to team that lost 3 opening round series 4-1, 4-2, 4-2 (5-12).

In his 6 years of athletic, erratic play, his team has "achieved" a 224-268 (.455) record. Of course, it's not all on Iguodala, but he and his agent and Stefanski collectively insisted a significant chunk was/is.

At this time, I motion for a name change: let's go with Andre "The Above Average" Iguodala.

Speights, Williams and Young, better natural scorers. Give Holiday more 4 yrs of experience and 40 mpg like Iggy gets, and his numbers across the board will equal and probably exceed Iguodala's; and Holiday can/will carry out individual D assignments just as well, or nearly so. Meeks, Kapono, Quinn better shooters (damning them with faint praise). Nocioni tougher, more dogged. And that's just a quick jot without delving too far.

So maybe Jrue in 4 years will be a better player than Iguodala. No one on this team is better than him now, and you know it.

This is the Jrue I've been waiting for.

6 boards, 6 assists, 3 steals already. 4/4 from the line. Hasn't hit a FG yet, though.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:45

Turner looks like he's got a good feel for playing the passing lanes.

At least they're taking it to the basket at little more in the 2nd. Nice attacking by Jrue.

Good D by Lou there. I think this preseason is the first time we've seen that. He's putting in the effort.

Turner can't go into the lane weak like that. It's something he'll learn, like how Jrue had to learn about the lazy perimeter passes.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 19:50

good job by ET to draw contact in the lane. i guess getting elbowed in the head isn't a foul anymore

He's not going to get that call. Needs to go up strong, not twisting away from the contact trying to get a garbage shot off.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 19:56

looked to me like he pumped and the guy came down on his head. in time he'll learn though

I do like the mini two-man games I've been seeing, big and small. Lou and EB ran one there at the end of the shot clock.

Ugh, I just remembered we're playing the worst defensive team in the league.

Ugh, I just remembered we're playing the worst defensive team in the league.

Hey, the sixers and the warriors are dogs in that race

Offense is getting a ton of really good looks tonight. They are a lot of jumpers, but I can live with them if they are that wide-open and off ball movement. Very well could be the Raptors defense though.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Oct 13 at 20:00

thad looks better when he gets a spot up jumper from inside the 3 pt line. if he could hit consistently that would be big for this team

Mike P reply to Rich on Oct 13 at 20:00

Remember, the Raptors are our main rival for worst record in the east along with Cleveland.

Don't get too excited. :(

Cleveland is not going to contend for worst record in the east.

50-48 at the half.

Jrue with the number of the beast line in the first half:

6 points, 6 boards, 6 assists.

Mr. sixer

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 20:27

Elton Brand is playing like Charles Barkley in Space Jam after the MonStars steal his talent

speekeasy reply to johnrosz on Oct 14 at 0:52

funniest comment i've seen in awhile

Jack Straw on Oct 13 at 20:37

Thad and Brand at the 4/5 is just too soft.

Yeah, but who didn't know that the moment it was suggested?

All the sixers options at the five are soft, playing two guys out of position just maximizes the softness

Is it wrong to wish that an injury like this was contagious and that Hawes would infect the mullet?

Center Spencer Hawes, who was acquired in an offseason trade with Sacramento, sat out his third straight preseason game with a strained lower back. Collins said before the game that Hawes probably won't return for a couple of weeks. The season opens Oct. 27.

What's with all this 'hidden link' stuff when i copy stuff from other web sites, abuse of javascript

Brian

More frustrating than being told you need to subscribe to league pass is having your channel guide say the game is on but when you go to that channel the game isn't on but i can watch the celtics and knicks if I want to

Kapono can't buy one.

Haven't gotten to watch much- but Jrue hunting an ugly triple double.

So much for Speights.

Hammy injury, I'm predicting 3-4 weeks in a suit.

Ahh there goes an acl. Were really going to be roughing it.

Jack Straw on Oct 13 at 20:56

Speights is down. Not good.

Great... Speights with the bad hammy.

Now we don't even have any lousy centers.

Starting center Plaisted anyone?

johnrosz reply to tk76 on Oct 13 at 20:58

Thorn is probably staring down at Stefanski right now like a dog that just pissed all over the new carpet

THorn probably would have gotten rid of Sam too, that was a kind of organizational thing wasn't it?

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 21:02

I feel like he would've netted a better return at least. Something that may actually benefit the team in some way, not implode it at it's very core

I'm not sure a better net would have been possible. Regardless of the truth and his expiring, Sam is still perceived to be 'bad' and 'overpaid'.

Raro reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 22:49

So was kwame brown...

Jack Straw on Oct 13 at 20:57

Brackins opportunity time

Brand is a better option at center than Brackins.

Iguodala too

Can we get Sam back? Never mind, he's hurt also.

Sixers down by 7 after three.

Jrue 2 points, 2 boards, 2 assists away from a triple double.

That was clearly a hammy for Speights, right? I'm seeing knee on Twitter.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 21:02

looked like right knee to me.

So, new technical rules, might have some benefits

The punk from boston got ejected in the first half of a pre-season game.

If the refs really stick by that rule maybe the little bitch will shut up

Did they stiffen the cumulative technical rules also? It'd be fun to see some guys like him missing games in the playoffs :)

Speights was clearly holding his hammy. I don't know where the knee thing is coming from.

Fagan seems to think he was grabbing the back of his knee - she might have a better angle?

Ryan F reply to GoSixers on Oct 13 at 21:08

Me too, although I am watching on a 4" screen with the resolution of an 80's Zenith.

Nice take to the hoop by Turner. Way to draw contact.

Nice drive and lefty finish by Turner, and 1.

Sixers twitteritteritter says right hammy for Speights. Told ya.

Throw it down Brackins!

Jack Straw on Oct 13 at 21:14

Brackins FACIAL!

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:16

Brackins looks like a worse version of Speights to me

Is everyone feeling a little better about Turner? I think he's showing some development.

Turner's game isn't based on athleticism but on misdirection and timing. He took some time to adjust to the college game as well. I'm still confident we have a very good player here.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:19

DC is saying some choice words over there on the bench

Collins is flipping out on the bench after that back stretch of plays by Turner.

Did anyone watch that San Antonio/LA Clippers game that they played on NBA TV after the sixers game and see Blake Griffin's performance? He's a beast. He had like 20 rebounds and was showing he still has a sick vertical. You hate to see players get hurt so young so that was encouraging for him.

I always liked how he attacks the game. Anti-soft.

That's 3 quick fouls by Brand in like 1 minute. He must be tired from those long practices DC is putting the team through. Sad to see him out of shape even at that weight.

Brackins sure isn't shy.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:31

Elton is flat out disturbing to watch

OT? Instant classic?

Huge rebound by Turner under the boards. You have to like that he can get rebounds so close to the basket amongst all those bigs.

Really like how Turner rebounds. He grabbed a key one in traffic. funny how he plays smaller than his size on offense, but above his weight on the boards.

19 boards (15 d-boards) for our starting back court. That would be so much more impressive if they didn't have to carry the load for our pitiful bigs.

Is there a chance Brackins is smart enough on the offensive end to be the beneficiary of Jrue's penetration and dump offs?

We're actually out rebounding them. Amazing.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:33

I think Turner would've had an easy bucket on that cut had EB actually given the ball up. It's horrible watching EB because not only is he a non factor, he's actually detrimental to the product on the floor with the way he's playing right now

If Durant can play center (this happened recently, received way too much coverage), maybe Thad can slide over there. Turner can be our power forward.

5.5 seconds, tie ball game. Who gets the shot?

My money is on.......................Meeks.

Curious to see what play DC calls. I hear that he is real good at calling plays at the end of the game that get open looks. We had enough iso with Iggy just breaking down his man and taking a shot at the end.

smh1980 reply to smh1980 on Oct 13 at 21:39

That is not what I was looking to see lol!

Court_visioN on Oct 13 at 21:37

I feel like the Sixers should have just pushed upcourt after that Raptors turnover w/ 5 seconds left instead of calling a timeout. On the break is where the Sixers are at their best. (though i guess their personnel on the floor could be better with a set play Jrue-Turner-Brand-Brackins-Meeks)

Court_visioN reply to Court_visioN on Oct 13 at 21:42

yup. should have just pushed it. It sucks because Doug Collins is typically a very good coach at drawing up plays coming out of timeouts.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:37

give it to ET

I love preseason OT.

Im not sure if I can take another 10 minutes of this stream.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:39

That was a pretty dumb inbounds pass right there by Et. Threw the fade pattern over to Jrue for the touchdown

Bonus basketball!!!!

What an ugly possession to end it.

96-96 at the end of regulation.

Hornets signed Mbenga today, by the way. Maybe we should've done that.

Jrue has another five minutes for 1 board, 1 assist.

Owned by Bargs in OT.

Oh how sad it is.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:44

I'm going to be Elton Brand for halloween. That oughta make for a pretty good zombie costume

About 37 fans in the arena, one who is yawning.

Jason reply to tk76 on Oct 13 at 21:48

When the arena plays soulja boy i don't know why anyone would want to go.

Tray reply to Jason on Oct 13 at 21:50

That's Waka Flocka Flame, I'll have you know.

Jason reply to Tray on Oct 13 at 21:57

oh, my mistake, nobody makes quality music quite like Waka Flocka, and then followed up by DJ Khaled "All i do is win" right after, A+.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:47

It's nice to see Curry up off the bench coaching up the guys. I don't think O'Koren ever left his seat during the course of the game last year

Triple Dub

JRUE!!!!!!!

Tray reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 21:52

I think I'm going to enjoy this season. Good young talent developing and we still have a great shot at a high draft pick.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 21:51

Jrue is the best player on the floor by a wide margin

well we really can't say any thing bad about turner this game. He had a double-double. He could of had more points if he touched the ball more, late in the game. Its good that he scored 13 w/o being ball dominant

Fantastic play by Jrue. And credit to EB for passing out of the post.

Wow. Huge shot by Meeks, great find by Jrue.

Was there a foul there? I couldn't see jack on my feed.

rchap13 reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 21:57

me neither brian. It wasn't a foul. And i thought barney made that putback

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 21:57

Didn't look like it. DeRozan just kind of lost the ball. Gotta admit I expected Brackins to be worse than he is.

Double OT!!!

I can't begin to explain to you guys how pissed my wife is right now.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 22:05

Same boat.

Ryan F reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 22:10

if it goes to a third, I'm going to bed.

I love how the Raptors announcers are enthusing over a guy who's taken 13 shots, 11 free-throws, and has just 14 points to show for it.

Well, it's either that or get pumped about Bargnani, who's scored 14 on 21 shots!

Wow. What a look by Jrue to EB. That's sick.

Ironic that Jrue getting beat on the defensive end has cost them the lead.

In his 44th minute right now, to be expected.

Big block by Brand there, then Brackins on the floor for the loose ball.

Jrue played WAY too many damn minutes tonight

Oh no. The Raptors are using the "throw the ball up near the rim, let Amir grab it and place it in the hoop" strategy again. And it continues to work.

Epic battle of to bad teams. Enjoyable.

Is it just me or is this game really fun to watch? See how entertaining we could be in a post-Iguodala, post-Willie Green, all-out rebuilding era?

Jason reply to Tray on Oct 13 at 22:10

We won't be playing the Raptors every night you know...

Tray reply to Jason on Oct 13 at 22:13

The blowouts could be fun too. Garbage time would start in the second quarter. Then Craig Brackins and Jodie Meeks would take over.

This has been fun. If you can get another young piece, like Favors, I'm all for it.

Damn. Put the ball back in Jrue's hands.

Can't go out like this. Time for a Meeks 3.

He got a perfect look...

Ugh. I couldn't tell, was that Lou who took the final shot?

119-116 final in double OT.

think Meeks.

Court_visioN reply to tk76 on Oct 13 at 22:17

nope, lou. holiday passed it to meeks who swung it to lou in the corner. can't complain, wide open jumper.

I wonder if the Dalembert deal was a preemptive tanking strike. There's no sensible basketball explanation for it.

They'd been trying to trade same for like 18 months now, he was a 'bad locker room presence' whatever the fuck that means.

Of course, it did get them under the luxury tax (for this season, but they still have to pay nocioni next season don't you know)

It's amazing that a giant corporation like Comcast would still run a team so foolishly as to continually rob peter to pay paul - as it were

Oh well, it was actually a fun night of meaningless basketball action. Too bad for Speights though.

johnrosz on Oct 13 at 22:19

Is EB a guy that deserves more than 20 minutes a game at this point

Probably not on a team with legitimate bigs. On the Sixers, yeah, probably. But he's sure looking bad out there.

I guess the bright side of the Speights injury is that we'll get a long look at Brackins.

Here's a good bet for you: Who gains more weight during their injury time, Hawes or Speights?

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 13 at 22:30

I want to hear Stefanski justify the Brand contract now. Last time they asked, he said EB was still a force because the Orlando Magic doubled him last year.

My money is on Hawes, I don't see him playing more than 40 games this year. Speights will be ok I think. Looked like a tweak and he just wanted to play it safe with all the leg issues he's had recently.

A few postgame thoughts:
* Everything taken with a grain of salt because this was, after all, the Raptors, without Bosh (who was their best interior defender last year).
* That's more like it from Jrue. Still needs to shut off penetration better on D, but his offense was on in every respect. That was the elite PG we've all been hearing about.
* Brackins is an interesting player, but I would wager he shoots nothing but jumpers with an occasional dunk thrown in. The impressive move (on offense) was the dribble-into-traffic/contested jumper at the foul line in double OT. The ridiculous shot was the 3 at the end of double OT. Most impressive play was that he shut off Barbosa's penetration at the end of OT (maybe just by chance). Finally, 3 rebounds in 22 minutes, fits right in with the other Sixer bigs.
* Turner made a lot of positive plays, and I can see him becoming a solid contributor (not a star) before long. For him to succeed at this level, he's going to need to learn to play to contact. He did struggle a lot on D, both against DeRozan and vs. Jack.
* Lou's shot was off, but he still made a solid contribution. I can live with this Lou as the backup PG.
* They weren't kidding when they said Iguodala was going to take it easy in the preseason.
* I suspect we're going to see a lot of 3-8 and 3-9 games from Nocioni. When he came into the league, he was a fearless penetrator, but he doesn't seem to have that in his game any more. He's just a trigger-happy jump-shooter now (joining Speights, Kapono, and Brackins in that club).
* On the bright side, at least there's more hope for the Sixers than for Toronto, where Andrea Bargnani is going to "carry the load" this year (though I'd welcome Jarrett Jack on my team anytime) ...

Why exactly is there more hope? They have a god awful roster, the sixers have a god awful roster, I don't believe they're burdened with a bad contract like Elton Brands, and they know they're going to suck so they'll make intelligent moves (if they can find them) that won't necessarily add a win or two this year but could help 3 years down the road.

Both organizations are fracked in entirely different ways

Have you seen Bargnani's contract? I also don't think TOR has young pieces near the level of Jrue (or Turner) and they certainly don't have a player of Iguodala's caliber in his mid-twenties. They're three years away from cap space. The only way you could say they're better off than the Sixers is that they'll probably have higher draft picks the next couple of season (though that's debatable).

speekeasy reply to Statman on Oct 14 at 1:18

yea i've always liked Jarret Jack too. he took Calderon's spot pretty quickly last year

Pretty heavy piece after the game from Kate Fagan (with some choice Collins quotations):

speekeasy reply to izimbra on Oct 14 at 1:59

good article

I really don't get why Collins came here. Unless he absolutely loves coaching basketball, no matter how bad the situation, it just seems like such a headache. He said in that article he spends 12-14 hours a day trying to figure out how to win games. With this roster? Can you imagine? I think he'd be so much happier if we were clearly in rebuild mode and he could just focus on developing Holiday, Turner, Speights, Meeks, Young, Brackins, and dare I say, Hawes.