How does losing a terrible interior defender make your interior defense even worse?

Him tall, him play defense.

Wednesday night, excellent, instead of watching the sixers game I can watch Roy Halladay make the yankees cry uncle :)

I'll be thrilled if I get to see Halladay play the bogus injury card against the Yanks on Wed. Worrying about Colby Lewis right now, though.

Colby Lewis isn't the yankees problem.

Cliff Lee is the Yankees problem. THe Yankees should bitchslap colby lewis.

And you're right, Halladays long history of AL East domination means he's probably afraid to face the yankees in game one of the world series :)

Colby Lewis is the only problem right now. Just like the Phils only need to worry about Sanchez.

I'm amazingly calm about the whole thing, hell, even before game 4 i wasn't worried about going down 3-1 :)

I'm worried about Chase Utley

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 15:39

He sure was...interesting...in the field yesterday wasn't he?

It's his bat I'm worried about. (I was in class yesterday and only caught the 8th and 9th innings live)

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:02

He does look lost at the plate. But who doesn't right now?

By the way, I've never seen a firstbaseman boot a ball like Huff did on that grounder. It hit his glove, completely redirected and traveled like 100 feet in a different direction.

The Giants have some questionable infield D, and the left side of their infield had to weigh close to 500lbs last night.

i've only seen the play once in replay and i thought it hit off his leg - i mean no way it goes that far off of a glove?

Nope, it was off his glove. It looked like it hit concrete.

Exactly that's why I thought it was his leg (bone)...

Weird

I think McCarver missed it. First he said it hit his knee, then after the replay he said it hit his glove. Why can't it be both? Did Huff say anything? I think it hit the heel of his glove and ricocheted off his knee or lower thigh. That's how I saw the path of the ball, and the distance it travelled tells me that it couldn't have hit only the glove. I've never seen a ground ball go that far after being misplayed, unless it hit a wall.

The play by Sandoval on the foul ball bunt was the reason they lost. Why was he standing 3 feet from the base? The Phillies had 1st base open with 2 men on twice in that inning. (Sorry, I'm a Giants fan.)

Ryan F reply to Brian on Oct 22 at 16:43

Looked to me like it went off his glove, then ultimately deflected off of his right knee.

Still very long bounce either way.

I was looking for the replay online, couldn't find it. Looked to me like it hit the thumb of his glove and then off in another direction. I guess that's why they call it stone hands.

tk76 reply to Brian on Oct 22 at 17:20

Hindsight over the last few years- we as fans like to hate mediocre coaches and mediocre to average vets as if they are the reason the team loses.

But you switch out the coach 7 times in 7 years and the team has the same flaws. And you remove a solid/serviceable vet starter like Sam or Miller and the team careens into the abyss.

In some ways its a no win situation (because the team lack stars.) These vets are not part of the long term solution- but people don't realize how lost a group of 20-24 year old players are until those vets are gone. The top team are chock-full of vets (and even some of the more average low seed playoff teams like the Bobcats.) The guys who make positive impacts under 24 tend to be star caliber, special players like Rondo, Durant, Rose, Bynum, Howard... and those are above the level of the Sixers "young core."

Young players make mistakes and have a hard time executing and becoming a cohesive unit. Even a potentially top player like Jrue is overall is not nearly the stabilizing influence on the floor as someone like Miller was.

I'm not saying we need to bring in a bunch of old vets with no upside. But I am saying people have been disappointed these last 2 years because we have a tendency to blame guys like Sam or Willie or be eager to move on from Miller without realizing just how much the team will struggle with such a bunch of precocious neophytes :)

tk76 reply to tk76 on Oct 22 at 17:21

oops, wrong spot. Will repost at the bottom...

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 22 at 16:00

That's why there's a premium for left handed first basemen...Much tougher play for a righty, probably should have backhanded it. I actually thought it bounced up and hit off the forearm, regardless, it took a crazy hop.

Suede made this point in the last thread, but if we could do Thad for Hickson straight up, do you say no? Does Cleveland?

Did you know that Cleveland was running the princeton offense this year?

Did yo know that Scott is disappointed that Hickson can't learn it?

I'd do the trade in a heart beat, Cleveland wouldn't because hickson is earlier in his contract, has had less flaws exposed so has 'more' upside and, well, thad sucks in the PO, that's already known :)

Cleveland says no. I say I don't care, don't think either one of them is ever a legit starter in the league, let alone a difference-maker. Hickson's taller, so why not, I guess.

Louis Farrakhan III on Oct 22 at 14:59

Miami 137, Philadelphia 71

I'll take the Sixers +66 if you're looking for a bet :)

Louis Farrakhan III reply to Brian on Oct 22 at 15:26

Unfortunately, I already blew my gambling money on a bet that the #2 pick in the draft would average at least 8 points a game in the preseason.

ಠ_ಠ

So you have a history of foolish bets.

I'll give 1000:1 odds that the wisconsins badgers will make the BCS championship game

Louis Farrakhan III reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:02

Sorry, if I want to witness the sad lingering aftereffects of repeated concussions, I'd rather just watch Doug Collins start Jason Kapono.

Charles Shackleford's top hat on Oct 22 at 15:39

Guys,

I am teetering on the edge of apathy.

1. how do you trade Dalembert knowing that you have no one to protect the rim? No one. And the take for Dalembert was pathetic. All that talk about changing the attitude around here and changing the culture left us with a huge, huge gap. There is no way we can be even remotely competitive without a defensive presence in the middle. Who ok's this trade? That not only weakens the team, it makes them unwatchable for even the most die-hard fans like me. I simply cannot hold on to any hope.

2. And then Evan Turner. Oh dear God. I have been watching, listening, reading, scouring for any tidbit of information that would give me some hope, some shred of evidnce that he can be more than a bust. The Sixers scored 118 points in an exhibition game against the Knicks and in 24 minutes Turner scored 2 points. That is enough to make me cry. And then i see him rise up for a jump shot. Ugly does not describe it. Thad like. Everyone says, give him a season, give him a season. If you knew you were going to dump Thad, trade back and take Cousins. Hell, even Favors is scoring 12 a night before he fouls out...in 18 minutes!
This is it. This might be the end. If the #2 pick in the draft can't start for the worst team in the league at a position of need, good God help us.

And that Bill Simmons, he nailed it, watching the Sixers out of morbid curiousity. Perfect. Already comparing him to Adam Morrison. at first i blew it off because at least Turner rebounds, but then i see that jump shot, and that lack of burst and that behind the back dribble...over and over again, it is already haunting me.

If he is right, and Turner is a bust, and by bust i mean unable to earn starter minutes on one of the worst teams in the league, well boys, then the depression just may be too great.

CSTH

If my life ever gets to the point where I respect Bill SImmons as anything more than a sports humorist, I probably will be very depressed, but since I think Simmons knows less about basketball evaluation than i do quantum physics/realities (i know a bit but not enough to be dangerous), his opinion on Evan Turner means as much to me as Stephen A smiths opinion on anything.

Evan Turner has played in zero games that count. A person whose opinion on player evaluation I respect a lot more than anyone who works for ESPN has stated that Turner started off slow his first year in college as well. And unfortunately it seems that even though the sixers have a different coach the organizational stupidity remains

Rich reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:01

He's a pretty damn good humorist though. Just can't live on every word he says because he's paid to have strong opinions and many are wrong.

Did you read his book? I actually liked it. You can skip about 100 pages of his Celtics masturbation, but it's definitely worth a read.

I never really found him funny, but to each their own. I understand his purpose is to be funny first, but rick riley (and this guy who worked for the tribune) perfected the art and Simmons is just a weak internet age impersonator with a boston sports fixation (which makes him extra despicable)

However, by working for ESPN, people assume he has a credibility that he doesn't have, nor has he earned and they take his stuff seriously like he's an authority, and I trust Derek's evluation hella more than I trust this guys useless 'evaluation'

Though, his terrible GM's roundtable a few years ago did give me a chuckle

There's something wrong in the NBA that doesn't seem as bad in other sports. It's already assumed that the Rookie of the Year will be one of two guys, so they don't have to win it so much as 'not lose it' - the MVP is already presumed to be Kevin Durant, it's already given to him and he just has to not lose it. I don't get why that happens in the NBA so much more than MLB or NFL

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:11

I used to like Riley's SI column. Gotta admit he makes me cringe now whenever I see him on tv.

That homecoming show? It kind of scares me. I've never really tried to watch it

johnrosz reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:40

I watched the McNabb one, it was infuriating.

The NBA really is the foregone conclusion league at this point. I guess the CBA can be blamed for that, to an extent. Personally, I think they should go w/ 5-game series in the first round. Make things more exciting in the playoffs, at least.

Didn't they do that and expand to 7 - 5 games makes upsets more likely and we can't have that - could you imagine the heat or lakers having an off night or two and losing to like the knicks and clippers respectively. David Stern would have a coronary :)

By the way - the tribune guy i was referring to - he's long passed away - i believe his name was Mike Royko - one of the best sports 'columnists' ever - there was a guy at the LA times - I think last name murray - but he passed - replaced by TJ Simers who is like the LA version of Simmons

BTW

It's not just this year on the awards, it seems, in general, the NBA has the largest pool of candidates for MVP / ROY awards every year. It's more like the Heisman Trophy race in that you start out with a set pool and you're less likely to get in. MLB / NFL you never hear much prognostication on MVP, MLB you hear a little ROY prognostication but not the way it's fait accompli down to 3 or less players in the NBA most years.

MVP I can't explain, but the ROY kind of makes sense. The draft means so much more in basketball, and there's no lag time either. Guys are drafted at the top of the first round, and they step right in as starters (unless they're drafted by the Sixers). They make an impact right away (again, unless they're drafted by the Sixers).

It's the illusion that the draft alters franchises immediately, even if it only happens once or twice a decade in a meaningful way.

Yeah Id buy that ROY argument if the NFL didn't exist :)

Eh. In the NBA a rookie makes up 20% of your starting lineup, 10% of your entire rotation, minimum. In the NFL, even a rookie QB is only 1 of 11 on offense, 1 of 22 on the field for the majority of the game.

Joe reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 17:11

NFL is 16 games. NBA is 82.

That is a big reason why probably.

Also, as Brian said I think, the number of players is much smaller.

I would think a condensed season would make it more likely to have pre emptive rookies of the year because you have a lot less time to make a judgement. I would think the fact that there are 5 times as many games means you can wait like 20 games to see what rookies shine through.

But the NBA really is about the instant - there's no real memory or attention to consistency - remember when they handed the award to brandon jennings cause he scored 55 points in a game?

Joe reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 17:38

The larger the sample size... the more likely the "most deserving" player wins.

If the season were 16 games and Williams scored 55 in one of those game he may have beat Evans in PPG and thus may have won ROY. Evans won ROY, though, due to his PPG pretty much.

The NFL is much harder to predict than the NBA because it is more competitive and there are less games.

Remember when there were 3-game series? The Lakers lost to Houston in '81 2-1, as defending champions. Ouch. (They had NO answer for Moses. Houston would have won in an 11-game series.)

His funniest columns are the draft diaries. He watches the draft with his dad and keeps a running commentary. The one in '07, featuring Yi Jian-Lan being guarded by a chair in a workout, was great. The two of them were in agony because the Celtics didn't get the first pick and they hated every player except Oden & Durant. So they got Rondo and..... It's been nothing but pain since.

But I don't read him anymore. Too smarmy and full of himself. And I hate the ESPN page - too many fireworks and visual clutter. All hype. And does anybody there know basketball? (Their play-by-play guy is Mike Tirico for God's sake.)

Jason reply to GoSixers on Oct 22 at 16:35

Does Brackins have the skills to play the 3 at all?

Jason reply to Jason on Oct 22 at 16:44

Argh, didn't mean to have this as a reply to someone :(.

Not sure he's got the handle, but more importantly, do we need another three?

The sixers need as many soft perimeter big men as humanly possible - they have a plan - like the cylons

Do you watch that new(er) show? Can't remember the name, Corsica maybe? Is it garbage?

Caprica.

I never made it past the 3rd season of battlestar on Sci-Fi. I mean I know it was good and everything, but all the religious over tones, the mono theism versus the poly theism, the political metaphors, it just got to be too heavy for me, so i kind of quit - never gave caprica a chance since I never got through Battlestar.

Maybe I will through netflix once i finish farscape

Turner actually had a few ohh ahh moments the other night handling the ball. He's made his defender look pretty bad about 3 times that I've witnessed during the preseason, he just doesn't look like he's fully confident what to do after he gets by his man at this point.

In some ways its a no win situation (because the team lacks the stars its needs to compete.) These mediocre vets are not part of the long term solution- but people don't realize how lost a group of 20-24 year old players are until those vets are gone. The top team are chock-full of vets (and even some of the more average low seed playoff teams like the Bobcats.) The guys who make positive impacts under 24 tend to be star caliber, special players like Rondo, Durant, Rose, Bynum, Howard... and those are above the level of the Sixers "young core."

Are you comparing Kapono to Dalembert and Miller? Because two of those guys are vets who could play and one of them is a vet who is a complete scrub.

tk76 reply to Brian on Oct 24 at 0:55

No, Kapono is a fringe NBA player with 1 skill. Those other guys are above average starters.

Mostly, I'm just saying that expectations coming into each of the two years were out of whack. Winning 40 games with Sam, Miller and Iguodala each playing 82 games is very different than what the team has right now. And even if you have a lot of young talent, it is hard to translate that into wins unless you have stars or stabilizing vets.

I'm OK with losing with youth. At least it is an honest approach and maximizes your chance to get a star through the lottery. Miller was a crutch- I just don't think people realize how much guys like that stabilize a young team until they're gone. So peoples expectations get out of whack.

Eh. You can call it stabilization, but to me it's just talent.

Not sure how we got on this tangent, though. I thought you were talking about the reason for playing Kapono and somehow comparing having his veteran stability in there to Miller and Sam.

tk76 reply to Brian on Oct 24 at 1:52

Yeah, it was a tangent. Wasn't responding to anything else. Just something I've been thinking about when looking at teams that are truly lousy. They often have a bunch of young players out their playing with no overall sense of cohesion.

The Sixer have a much better coach this year- and arguably better talent. But they might really, really stink it up.

I hate mediocrity but more importantly I hate the stench of accepted mediocrity - which is what I think the sixers have been doing for a while now

Joe reply to tk76 on Oct 22 at 17:43

Miller and Dalembert weren't as much vets as they were very good players. The vets, beyond Iguodala, on this team are not very good, they aren't good, in fact they are pretty much terrible.

As has been said over and over, the personnel is horrible.

Just saw that Brian Zoubek was waived by the Nets. Would he be worth a look given his ability to score inside/rebounding or is he more/less so much damged goods?

Does he really have an ability to score on the inside? If memory serves, he was a defensive guy who could maybe grab a couple boards, but without offensive skills. Either way, I seriously doubt they're going to fill that 15th roster spot. Too cheap.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Oct 23 at 8:20

I believe he does 2 things really well, set screens and offensive rebound. They should sign him for attendence reasons, his family may come to watch him and double the home attendence at games. Seriously, he would be a good risk if they could by out Songalia or use the last spot.

Zoubek did a pretty good job for Duke this year doing what coach K wanted, but he really is not an NBA player. If they hadn't won the championship noone would have even considered him.

Joe reply to Brian on Oct 24 at 10:56

Without taking the time to check, I believe Zoubek was an elite-level rebounder for Duke. In addition I think he was efficient with his rare usage offensively.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 12:21

Agree with Brian. The 15th spot would only be used if there's a significant injury.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 12:21

... or a 2-for-1 trade.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 12:23

Hear lots of yelling from practice, but waiting for the curtain to be lowered so I can see what's happening. I'm the only media member here so far (11 a.m. start). Saturdays are usually light media days -- with the Phillies tonight at home, it should really be light.

Did the yelling have any sort of context or intent? Angry yelling, confrontational, intense work?

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 14:10

Just typical scrimmaging noise.
Finished now (finally)

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 14:11

Iguodala has a sprained right wrist. Been bothering him for a while -- unclear how it initially happened, Having an MRI today. Received stimulation and treatment during practice.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 15:44

Collins said Iguodala may have first injured his wrist playing for USA Basketball. He's worn tape to protect it during some practices and games. No word yet on MRI.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 16:01

Collins on Iguodala: (how did he get hurt) "I’m not sure. I don’t know if he said he was laying on his wrist. I think he might’ve hurt that in USA Basketball. I think he might’ve banged it a little bit. I think it’s been a little bit lingering. We just told him just take the day off and watch what we’re doing."

Well, hopefully that doesn't nag much.

Sixers can't afford anything less than 82 games from Mr. Iguodala.

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 16:02

Collins on being diagnosed with vertigo: "I think the doctor really hit on something. For five months, I really suffered from vertigo after I took that (Memorial Day) fall. I could get away with it in the summertime because I really wasn’t doing that much. For about three or four days, it got pretty hard. I already feel relief from seeing the doctor. I have not had one doubt of feeling dizzy for the last three days. I feel great."

johnrosz on Oct 23 at 16:25

Tom, I heard Bill Simmons is chirping on his podcast about Turner falling into some of the same habits he had early on at Ohio State. Any indication that he's disruptive/or "out to get everyone" as his Ohio State teammate once suggested?

Or is Simmons just full of it (wouldn't be the first time...)

Tray reply to johnrosz on Oct 23 at 16:45

Turner looks to me more like a player who's out to get no one than one who's out to get everyone.

Rich reply to johnrosz on Oct 23 at 16:56

I like Simmons, but where is hearing these stories from? He knows Mark Titus, who told him stories about ET as a frosh at OSU, but who from the Sixers is relaying this knowledge to him? The Sixers are doing a good job covering up the practices if that's true.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Oct 23 at 17:05

That's why I thought it was bizarre. He doesn't seem like that at all. Hopefully Tom can shed some light on it

Tom Moore reply to johnrosz on Oct 23 at 17:14

Turner may not be the most mature kid in some ways, but I don't know that there's anything to all this from what I've seen. Collins was disappointed with the way Turner played in Tuesday's start and is trying to find a role in which Turner is comfortable.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Oct 23 at 17:10

He also said that "Collins already hates Turner"

It's be easier if people stopped using Bill Simmons as a source of any kind of information.

Ignoring him is easier

Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 16:48
Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 17:14
Tom Moore on Oct 23 at 18:12

The test confirmed Iguodala's sprained right wrist — he is listed as day-to-day.

Well, it's now going to be a whole lot easier to get to the Heat beatdown game on Weds thanks to Chase Utley and Ryan Howard and the whole damn team not hitting anything...

...but did anybody else see this series of tweets about Igoudala from sometimes basketball but more often Dodgers beat writer Molly Knight, @Molly_Knight , of ESPN.com? (since these are semi old tweets, read from the bottom up)

. That being said, I do enjoy Chicago more than Philadelphia. Sorry, dude.
8:52 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. The story turned out fine and I got to do other stories. Had he shot me down? I might have crashed and burned. I'll always be grateful.
8:50 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. To go bowling with some buddies, gave me his mom's #, and generally treated me with respect and grace you rarely hear about in pro sports
8:47 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. I told him the truth. He could've rolled his eyes and asked for @RicBucher or even @Buster_ESPN (that happens often). But he invited me (con
8:45 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. @AI9 could have said to submit five questions through his agent via email. (That's happened). He asked me who else I'd written features on..
8:44 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. Now, of course, I hadn't actually met @AI9 before my pitch was accepted, which presented its own problems. He could have been an ass (cont)
8:41 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. It took me 3 years to convince my editors to let me write something longer than 600 words and my pitch on @AI9 was the first thing they took
8:40 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

. Attention everyone: this guy, @AI9, had a profoundly positive effect on my career when I was starting out and probably doesn't even know it.
8:38 PM Oct 21st via Echofon

He's a good guy, despite what Sixers fans will lead you to believe.

johnrosz reply to das411 on Oct 24 at 2:18

Victorino's at bat with the bases loaded against Bumgardner is going to haunt me for a very long time. The kid is 21 years old. Instead of making him prove he can get a ball over the plate in the biggest outing of his entire life, Shane swings at a 1-0 pitch at his ankles and weakly grounds back to the pitcher. Completely bailed him out.

Sorry for the off topic rant Brian.

No problem, I know how you're feeling.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Oct 24 at 2:39

Looks like I'll be able to watch the game now Wednesday...I'll sign up if I can get a competitive half of basketball. What's the over/under on times that Hawes gets posterized?

Rich reply to johnrosz on Oct 24 at 4:19

Yeah John I watched the game at and it was rough. I love the sixers more than any team but for our competitve hopes, Lets Go Birds!

deepsixersuede reply to johnrosz on Oct 24 at 10:54

My Phillies depression has led me to look for positives for my Sixers this morning so here it goes; We are all assuming bad things from the center position this year, like we will get destroyed every night but one thing we seem to be forgetting: Sam averaged 26 minutes a night the last 2 years and also for his career, so we aren't losing 48 or even 36 minutes of what he produced but a little over 1/2 the game with Spieghts and J.Smith picking up the rest. My question is if T.Battie can give us 10 minutes of active play a night, he did more than that in Orlando 2 years ago, than all we are missing is a little over a quarter of the game a night of Sam's defense and rebounding.

Battie isn't comparable to Sammy. And he never produced near Sammy's level in Orlando.

Tray reply to Joe on Oct 25 at 0:33

If Battie were capable of playing ten quality minutes, or any kind of quality minutes, he'd be getting 20 or more minutes on this team. You see what I mean? If he were actually any good, he should at least be getting 24 minutes, because there are no even possibly good centers on the team besides him. But he's not good so he only projects to get ten minutes.

Tom Moore on Oct 24 at 12:17

Battie is quickest off the floor in blocking shots among Sixers' bigs, which is a little scary.

johnrosz on Oct 24 at 17:21

Sean McDermott is the Spencer Hawes of defensive coordinators.

Brian, any chance we can get a Facebook style "Like" button for comments like this?

Tom Moore on Oct 24 at 18:23

Andre Iguodala (sprained right wrist) didn't practice again Sunday. He's still listed as day-to-day.