Game 5 Thread: PHI vs. IND

Tom Moore on Nov 3 at 18:34

Man, he kind of throws some guys under the bus there about the free throw attempts. Hope they take it to heart.

Jason reply to Tom Moore on Nov 3 at 18:57

wow i busted out laughing when he was giond down the list of freet hrow attempts then gets to Spencer and his face shows how dissapointed he is "Spencer hasn't even attempted a free throw all year" So glad that he is trying to get his players to draw fouls and get to the line hopefully we see that tonight.

Does he always talk that calm? He sounds kinda defeated.

btw, that Spencer Hawes stat isn't a shock. He's been one of the worst bigs at getting to the line since he came into the league. It's one of the reasons why he's so useless.

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:06

What do you think Spencer's body fat % is? He makes Demarcus cousins look slim.

OK, so we've got our stat to watch tonight. Free throw attempts for Jrue, Thad and Hawes (heh).

Why did Collins essentially never give Kapono a chance? He started him for 2 games in which he played him for about 5 seconds. Then Kapono came in and did a nice job last night and still couln't get any time. I think this guy needs 15 mpg.

Take those 15 away from Turner?

It's a pretty crowded perimeter group, and honestly three point shooting hasn't been a problem as of yet.

NO! Please don't give Collins any ideas!

For those who didn't notice it...Hawes' 1 rebound last night was off of a foul shot, on the defensive end...wiht no one on the Wizards crashing.

I find it hard to believe Blatche wasn't crashing like a madman, giving maximum effort :)

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:10

There's just something about this new sideline girl I'm not a fan of.

Here we go. Ugly offense on the first possession.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:12

Hawes holds the ball for way too long when he touches it outside the paint

Hopefully we can get a win. Wish the arena was more packed that way it would feel like we had home court advantage

Nothing I like more than Nocioni pulling up for a bricked 18-footer on a break w/ Iguodala. Sweet, sweet offense.

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:14

That woulda got Jrue or ET benched.....

Yep. No doubt about it.

Spence!! 2 points and a board!

Heh, that's the ugliest three I've ever seen.

BIG SPENCE!!! he can make those

Lmaooooooooooo

McRoberts subs in for McRoberts after McRoberts picks up 2 quick fouls.

Brand to the line again. Looks like he got the message.

Nocioni hasn't shot well in a few games

Jrue looks a skittish again. Silly turnover there.

Nocioni couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Heh. Hawes on the break!

I hope Turner has a good game dude is to passive maybe Collins has a hold on him.

Hawes to the line! This guy is everywhere.

There had to be a travel somewhere in that play. So ugly.

Drive and dish from Jrue to ET. Nicely done (don't like the long two, though. Should be a three there).

Let's trade Spencer Hawes for Solomon Jones. The Pacers need more white players.

Heh. Doughy white players.

what a play!! turner and jrue

T McL reply to MikeW on Nov 3 at 19:28

favorite play of the season so far. great to see jrue learning to play off evan... soon they will realize they can both do it.

This is a promising quarter. Hopefully lou doesn't come in to ruin it.

Really nice play Turner to Jrue for the & 1. Returning the favor.

Let's go Turner

Can't believe how spry EB looks. The weight story actually might have had meaning unlike the 100s of others before about "fitness" in the offseason.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:29

Thad did a good job defending his man, grabbing the board, then set a nice screen down the floor.

Starting to do some of the little things?

JTI alert, folks! Come on, leave those guys out there out of this timeout.

Thad fighting for a board on the other end. Strong start here, hopefully they don't have a bad lull.

Hey Brand looks pretty quick tonight! Wasn't really expecting that.

Wow We look good really so far. But I don't want to get too excited, they've done this before this season.

JTI, JTI!

EB's legs look surprisingly alright on the back-end of the back to back.

We know they can score in the first quarter. Keep it going. Oh, and keep defending too! JTI can equal run-outs off missed shots.

Rodney Buford reply to Rich on Nov 3 at 19:34

Well, it is early - lets see how he looks in the second half. He shouldn't be tired yet.

Lou is at the scorer's table. Hope it's good Lou and not bad Lou.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:33

Oh snap....Jrue actually smiled on the court. Need more of that, have some fun kid.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:34

Great sequence from Iggy there

Yes Granger, you are a benchwarmer.

And that's why I love Andre('s trade value)!

Jrue is owning Collison.

shocked that Lou took the last shot.If i'm opposing teams and it's the final possession i'm doubling lou, maybe tripling.

Best quarter of the year? That was um, fun to watch.

No doubt....JTI looked good!

31-16 after the first. Best quarter I've seen in a while.

I like this with the 2nd team- Pick and roll, dribble, handoffs, nothing crazy.

Nice cut by kapono and find by Lou (?) No finish, though.

Turner shoots threes like he's praying for them to drop.

He's only taken one this season, and it was from beyond half court at the end of a quarter.

Tray reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:52

What was that thing I thought was a three, a really long two? The shot where his arms seemed to cross each other in the follow through.

Speights finally throws a pass, but charges while doing it.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:44

He can't get anything positive going for himself right now.

That wasn't even a charge.

Speights good pass?

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:45

Like that Thad is trying to deny entry passes when his guy has a clear size/strength advantage on him

Steal some minutes w/ this unit out there. Hopefully the starters will be able to hold up after the half.

Bad shot by Iguodala.

Nice drive by Thad. Thought he was going to take the jumper.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:52

It's kind of funny to watch but I admire the fact that Speights is sort of trying to look for teammates.

And Thad is playing very well right now

I think that was Speights' third foul. Up by 17 midway through the second. How about really stepping on the gas to end this half? Up by 25 going into the break.

Like the Sixers defensive intensity in the first half so far.

I actually like that three attempt by Jrue. Would've been better if he was set up out there instead of having to dribble back for it, but still better than the 20-footer he would've had off the pass.

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:57

Agree with you, I wish that Jrue would take the 3 at the top of the key with hsi defener 5 feet from him instead of faking it.

Has lou played the whole 2nd so far?

Yeah. Came in with 32 second left in the first.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:57

Can't get down with this...I like the 20 footer better.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:58

yep. shot created must be taken

Figures you'd like the worst shot in basketball. :)

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:00

Well, I'm partial. It's my best shot. :)

Collins not happy with Jrue. Wonder if he yanks him in this timeout.

Totally agree with Snow about making the simple play. I'm in the library right now and people were staring at me when I yelled "God Damnit Jrue. Pick up the ball!" I feel better now because Snow felt the same way.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 19:58

It's refreshing to have a real coach. Eddie Jordan had no sense of when a lull was about to hit.He'd just let them play through it and before you knew it they'd be down 15.

ItAintEZ on Nov 3 at 19:59

Would like to see Jrue take Collison down to "the weight room."

Old man in the lane! & 1.

Nice!

No one plays the completely wild game better than the Sixers :)

Thad is unconscious.

I have to say, I was not expecting this.

If they go 2 for 1, they could score 60 in the first half!

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:03

I want to enjoy this but I just have this feeling that it is an aberration.

Leave tomorrow's worries for tomorrow dude and just enjoy this game.

I do agree with you, seems like the stars are all aligned nicely tonight for all this to happen. Turner getting minutes, Brand playing like his old self, even Hawes contributing. This isn't real, is it?

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Nov 3 at 20:20

The problem is, with my enjoyment comes expectations to see the same thing on Fri. night, and I'm just not sure that will be even close to the case.

EB is a bulldog right now! :)

Wow. What a half of basketball.

Sixers lead 57-31.

Indy is shooting 28.9% from the floor.

Dunleavy is such a terrible player. Look at his stats, he's like a white 6'9 Willie Green.

Dre holds Granger to 1-9 in the half, and that block he had was sweet!

Hopefully we can keep it up

bdownbear on Nov 3 at 20:07

Hey Brian, when are you and Derick doing another radio show?

I believe our first episode will be tomorrow night.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:23

While I love all the Sixers I can get, you guys shouldn't have to go through another year of talking about something that is, well, rather sad.

At least we don't have to hear 1/2 a show on EJ's doings. :)

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:08

I'm so pleased with what Thad's doing. AI9 tried to snake ET's rebound to end the half

bebopdeluxe on Nov 3 at 20:08

Well...that was different.

Tom Moore on Nov 3 at 20:11

Obie pregame on being fired after a 43-39 season (last winner year since): "(I was) run out of town (smiling). I thought there was a good chance (I'd be fired). It wasn’t playing out right. I told a number of people, including my agent and my staff, about January — I thought this was not going to be a good ending to the situation."

Asked if he had a problem with the players or front office, he replied, "The players were fine."

I'm so happy to see the sixers playing so well.

ItAintEZ on Nov 3 at 20:16

Don't know about u guys but I really like the cut up EB better than the chubby one.

I have nba league pass I always gotta hear the opposing teams commentator.

Nocioni should not play, much less start. What are we waiting for to start Turner??

Jason reply to AJ on Nov 3 at 20:23

In this game ET has more mins than Noc. And for the year ET is averaging 27.5 to Noc's 24 mpg.

AJ reply to Jason on Nov 3 at 20:27

Point is, Nocioni shouldn't be playing more than 12-15 minutes on this team. Let's see Turner get 38 minutes like Wall.

Nocioni sure isn't shy.

A coach Injury report. That a first?

Vertigo for Collins, back in the locker room. Friggin' Curry on the bench.

Is this Collins leaving on a high note?

Not a good sign that Collins is out, after he said everything was completely fine w/ his vertigo last week.

I think he said something about it prior to the game, didn't he Tom?

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:24

wow. that's not good. he's going to end up being away from the team for an extended period of time if this persists

Collins health is definitely a concern

Atta boy Jrue.

Super Jrue!!

Not a fan of curry

Me neither.

Imagine if we had a real center catching those passes from Jrue.

Well this seems like a grudge game for Holiday. Loving it.

Doesn't the game seem so different when the bigs can block a shot or two?

rchap13 on Nov 3 at 20:28

Speezy w/ 5 boards in 7 minutes?

Imagine if we had a real center catching those passes from Iguodala.

Anyone got a link or site they use to watch games? I'm trying to avoid paying for the NBA.com method. Thanks.

Someone has one. I can't remember it off the top of my head. atdhe.net, something like that.

Double Nil can get rejected by anyone.

Curry already looks lost

13-2 run for Indy. I'd like to see them come out of this timeout with JTI on the floor. Stop the run with defense.

Was that a note of bewilderment in Zumoff's voice I heard? "Picked by the Sacramento Kings with the TENTH [???] pick!"

If the lose this one too, we would have had everyting:

A solid showing against a dominant team: check
A good effort and a close loss to a top 4 ecf team: check
a complete bad effort against a lowly team: check
a heartbreaking loss with game tying shot and overtime: check
a loss after a 30 point lead: in the making

Bizarre game of the night: Detroit, shooting 40%, is beating the Hawks, shooting 60%. Atlanta has just one offensive rebound to Detroit's 15, and nine turnovers to Detroit's mere two.

Lou for Jrue. Not the sub I was looking for there.

ItAintEZ on Nov 3 at 20:35

If they cut it to 10 i bet Collins comes back out

Or has a stroke.

10 is my panic point.

Atta boy, Turner.

wtf is with the Arena music during the game? like 5 left on the shot clock and Music is blaring. Annoying.

I guess it's either that or you can hear the sound of a pin drop in that place. So empty.

ItAintEZ on Nov 3 at 20:39

EB is like a new man!

He looks so good, and it's going to be such a shame when they completely burn him out before Christmas.

Well maybe the Pacers want to trade for him after the game.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:41

Dre is forcing up some questionable shots Brian. Can't tell me he's not tonight.

He's making Granger look horrible though.

I won't argue. Even when he got the ball in the post, he turned it into about 17-foot fadeaway.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:43

Turner has got to bread this habit of lazy perimeter passes.

That one was 50/50 blame. Lou has to come to the friggin' ball.

Love lazy plays out of timeouts. Come the fuck on.

ItAintEZ on Nov 3 at 20:43

why the hell does lou play the pg with ET on the floor?

I have no answer for this one, none at all. If he's scoring, he can carry the team, but as a PG he's just horrible for the team's offense.

ItAintEZ reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:47

at least if he is off the ball you are going to get at least one pass each poss. With him at the point it's more like 50/50

Lou doesn't really play point guard...it's easier if he brings up the ball, saves the time of having to pass it to him before he shoots

rchap13 on Nov 3 at 20:45

brand with the double-double

Good shot lou

Be nice if the sixers could start their half court offense before 12 seconds left on the shot clock.

Alright, up by 20 heading into the fourth. Brand has played 29 minutes so far. If he goes over 35, Curry should be fired.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:47

Gotta give Lou credit, really playing well. Andre looks like he's lost or something, really bizarre.

Tray reply to johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:49

Imagine how much we'd be winning by if Andre didn't look bizarrely lost.

my brother took over the living room so i gotta watch online. its a grainy, crappy feed, but if yer not in philly and dont have league pass, this is better than nothing

Lou is kryptonite to offensive sets.

Rich reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:57

I just don't want him monopolizing the ball. At least he was playing two man game with EB, Thad and Speights in the 2nd quarter. Just get people moving.

I've given up on Lou and the Cluster, as I'm sure Collins has. To be fair, he has been awesome all year except in the 1st half last night.

rchap13 on Nov 3 at 20:50

man speights is rebounding out there. Im impressed

wow m16 with 6 rebounds in 8 minutes.

Jrue to the line!

OK, so we're up 20 yet refuse to give Turner some burn....

AJ reply to AJ on Nov 3 at 20:54

Guess we need to know what that Kapono guy is all about right?

Nice D on Dunleavy, Kapono. Get Turner in there you idiot.

I'm smiling.

AI9 block, Jrue secures, baseball pass to AI9 for the dunk.

Why is Kapono in at this point? Don't we want to focus on some defense?

At this point, focus on keeping the starters' minutes down. This one is in the books.

likin that

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 20:56

sick pass to thad

Damn these dudes is running LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dang 76ers just demoralizing the pacers

lolololol @ the cadillac grille footage being from the miami game with a full stadium.

JTI the rest of the way to get them minutes together?

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:58

Fuck that, let's put miles on EBs legs!

Jason reply to Jason on Nov 3 at 20:59

AI9 and EB should be on bench imo.

Yes the game is won, great time to give Turner some burn, right?

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:58

Brand back in? WHy?

Wonder why Curry lasted only one year in DET.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:02

Dumars screw-ups?

Forgot, coaches are never bad, only GMs.

No need for Brand to be on the floor. None at all. Give the guy some rest.

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:00

AI9 shouldn't be out there either, guy plays top 5 mins every year, played for US. Let him sit.

I can sort of make the case that JTI need as many minutes together as possible, though they really should be getting them at the start of the game and the start of the third quarter.

Alvin reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:01

EXACTLY. He needs all the rest he can get, it's an 82-game season.

Even the Sixers can't blow this 20+ point lead in 5 minutes.

Notice a disturbing trend of our guys not looking for ET when he is often very open.

eddies' heady's reply to MikeW on Nov 3 at 21:03

Really? can you elaborate more?

How is EB still playing. That last foul was him like saying, "Get me the eff out."

Did they want him to get the 20/10?

Rich reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:11

Shit, he could get 30/10. Ridiculous, Curry.

Ugh. Should've left Speights in and gotten Brand. This is ridiculous. Glad Iguodala found Turner for that corner thre, even if he missed it.

Let's keep playing Brand...why not???

Remember this game when Brand's legs go dead later in the year.

Ugh. Come on, can't I even have a good feeling after a 30-point win?

Court_visioN on Nov 3 at 21:08

too easy for EB right now.
that said, he shouldn't be in the game.

Tremendous heart for the Pacers, huh?

Isn's this the sort of game where you put Hawes in so he can trim down some of that excess fat, instead of burning out Brand??

eddies' heady's reply to AJ on Nov 3 at 21:10

I was thinking the same thing, only that this would be good to get Hawes conditioning up to par.

Heh. The only problem with that theory is Hawes plays in slow motion anyway, conserving energy for something.

Okay, Brand is back, we got the message.

Now give him the rest the man deserves.

Lets mother fucking go put ur middle fingers in the air cavs is the next victim.

Brand looks like he's enjoying the stat stuffing, though.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 21:11

Clearly there's a directive from Thorn that Elton Brand must be the beneficiary of all stat stuffing numbers in garbage time this year...

rchap13 on Nov 3 at 21:11

the only thing i can think of is that this lineup on the floor might be the starters in a couple of games. I like it!

Tom Moore on Nov 3 at 21:13

Lou Williams’ 30 points against the Wizards marked the first time a Sixers’ reserve hit for 30 since Kyle Korver on Feb. 21, 2007. Fifteen Sixers’ reserves have done it since 1986-87.

Hawes is a garbage-time beast. Two fouls, ugly 20-foot jumper early in the shot clock.

Rodney Buford reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 22:13

I was okay with the fouls - he was still defending the rim, despite being up big. No issue there.

He stinks, pure and simple

Well, at least they got their first win in style. Pacers should be embarrassed of themselves after this one.

No question about the player of the game.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 21:16

It's a shame as much as Doug has been through the last two months with this bunch and he couldn't even enjoy his first win.

johnrosz on Nov 3 at 21:17

Meredith Marakovits has to be about 6 5 or 6 6 standing next to EB right now. Maybe she can come in and take Hawes minutes

Seriously put Turner in high pick and roll situations, and he'd go for serious stat lines, but no chance Collins lets him dominate the ball like that in this offense.

johnrosz reply to CB on Nov 3 at 21:20

he's got ridiculous handles. that behind the back stuff he pulls looks so effortless for him

Rodney Buford reply to johnrosz on Nov 3 at 21:56

It was pretty cool to be up 25+ and have Jrue let ET do all the handling the last couple minutes. He may be inconsistent but ET has some f'n swagger - he certainly does not play afraid.

I'll have a recap later tonight, or early in the morning. The game capsule is done. Feels kinds nice to have one in the W column.

Tom Moore on Nov 3 at 21:56

Collins: "I got about three hours' sleep watching Carter Martin's 3-pointer (that sent Tuesday's loss to overtime) 100 times. I had another one of those bouts. When I got up at halftime, I had a dizzy feeling and asked Mike (Curry) to grab my arm."

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 22:19

Why the hell did our GM give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to just wear a suit?

Meeks or brackins? or both?

eddies' heady's reply to Jason on Nov 3 at 22:29

Meeks. We didn't give up a pick for Brackins too did we?

I think there's an option to switch picks in the draft wasn't there?

Not to mention they gave up willie green and jason smith

Smith just scored 6 straight points and pulled down three straight rebounds. 12 (5-8 shooting) and 7. Willie is not playing so well.

Chris Paul makes everyone look good.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Nov 3 at 22:43

Paul didn't give Smith the 9 rebounds, and actually it was Bayless with the assist on all his scores, but yeah, he makes a lot of people look good. Except for Willie.

I'm going to be laughing my ass off when the Hornets extend one or both of those guys. Almost as much as I'm going to be crying when the Sixers extend Hawes and Thad.

Can the hornets afford to extend either of them?:)

They'll probably think they're getting a great deal. Something like 3 years, $12M for Willie and 3 years/$10M for Smith.

Maybe willie will blow out his leg/knee again and this GM will be smarty than Billy King

Tray reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 22:59

Rockets announcers fighting over each other to praise Jason Smith. This just happened:

Ex-Player: And over the summer they built a whole team around Chris Paul and David West! Jason Smith! Willie Green, Jerryd Bayless - these guys can start for many teams!

Play-By-Play Guy: Jason Smith...

Ex-Player: He was the first guy I mentioned!

Tray reply to Tray on Nov 3 at 23:01

It just gets better:

Play-By-Play Guy: And when you've got young guys like Jason Smith, 14 points tonight -

Ex-Player: Who's proven to me tonight, that he's a PLAYER!

Play-By-Play Guy: 14 points, that's his season high!

Ex-Player: Scored 6 straight points when the Rockets were threatening!

Play-By-Play Guy: And when you've got a weapon like that, anything is possible.

Tray reply to Tray on Nov 3 at 23:03

And finally:

Ex-Player: These guys are going YOUNG, with Jason Smith, Willie Green [??!], Belinelli, Jared Davis [who doesn't exist] - these are some capable backups!

johnrosz reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 23:37

hey thats not fair to Thad to mention him in the same breath as Hawes.

I was teasing :)

The Rockets haven't looked real good this year. At least no defensively. Adelman finally has the team he wants, like in Sacto :)

Jack Straw on Nov 3 at 22:59

Brand at Hibbert's lunch. I don't expect him to continue to put forth 18 and 9.5 going forward, but I'm encouraged by his play through 5 contests. Hard work pays off.

Along with the Brand show, solid all around effort on both ends:

Holiday - 11 pts, 4 rebs, 5 assists, 4 stls
Iguodala - 11 pts, 9 rebs, 4 assists, 4 blks, Granger 2-11 FG's
Young - 16 points, 5 rebs, 7-14 FG's
Turner - 12 points, 6 rebs, 3 assists, 5-8 FG's
Speights - 11 rebounds in 14 minutes
Williams - 11 points, 4 assists, 4-8 FG's

Also worth noting, Turner is looking better off the ball showing a pretty steady mid-range stroke in catch-and-shoot situations. He just looks like a basketball player. Great handle, tough defender, natural rebounder, sees the floor, and is starting to find his stroke. I don't know how long Doug will be able to keep him out of the starting rotation.

Rich reply to Jack Straw on Nov 3 at 23:34

It's so dumb that he doesn't start because: 1. Wins/losses shouldn't be the focus and 2. He probably gives you the best chance to win this year anyway.

Anyway watching Sacto/Lakers? Sammy's playing good defense on Gasol, must be nice to have. Cousins and Gasol both had their way offensively with each other. The Kings have a pretty deep frontcourt.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Nov 3 at 23:40

Is Whiteside suiting up for them?

Rich reply to johnrosz on Nov 3 at 23:43

Haven't seen him in yet. They rotate: Cousins, Landry, Thompson, and Sammy. The first two start and then the next two are on the 2nd Unit. I root for Jason Thompson because he seems like a good guy and i a local kid, but he shoots a lot of jumpers.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Nov 3 at 23:51

yeah, he was recruited as a guard wasn't he? Then had some tremendous growth spurt at Rider. Same thing happened to Noah I believe.

Rich reply to johnrosz on Nov 4 at 0:06

Yup, my friend was a freshman on Rider's team when Thompson was a senior. I think he came into HS at 6 foot and shot up to 6'11. Something like that.

Our first win, NOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Statman on Nov 3 at 23:47

Just finished watching the game on DVR. If Brand had looked this way last year or the year before, the city would be pretty excited, I think. My favorite stat of the game: Granger scored twice all game while being guarded by Iguodala (once on a transition 3, once when he got fouled for two free throws) and got three of his shots blocked. 7 points on 2-14 shooting from someone who came in averaging 27 PPG on 51% 2P and 45% 3P. Iguodala showed why he played and Granger sat in the World Championships. Overall, the Pacers' Big Four of Granger/Dunleavy/Hibbert/Collison went an almost unfathomable 12-53.

johnrosz reply to Statman on Nov 3 at 23:55

statman,have you noticed anything different about Thad? I can't seem to get anyone to agree with me. He looks like he tries to fight defensively in the post more often/deny the entry pass, etc...Also looks like he's made a better effort to take higher percentage shots and play within the offense.

I have noticed that he is more active on defense, yes. He's always been a good help defender, and his steals and blocks are up this year (both per minute totals would be career highs). Now if he could only not leave his man wide open for 3's (did it twice again tonight) ...

Offensively he's played well too, but I don't think he's back to the level of late 08-09, when he was stringing together 20-point games every night. One reason is that his jumper has been inconsistent, though he did hit a couple tonight.

johnrosz reply to Statman on Nov 4 at 0:28

That's something that should be correctable with a quality coaching staff (you'd think).

I'm just thrilled that for the most part that Thad's done a good job of turning down the more difficult shot and used his ability to get to the rim on 1 or 2 dribbles to his advantage.

Like DC said, he's only going to take the mistakes out of his players games, hopefully it's starting to show with Thad

Rich reply to johnrosz on Nov 4 at 0:56

Offensively he's been deadly efficient scoring the basketball. He cuts out the threes, and focuses on the mid-range game and in. That makes him good. He's also taking his time, I don't think I've seen the Thad shuffle once yet.

Rich reply to Statman on Nov 4 at 0:50

Don't you think that his help defense is "good" because he is leaving his man open for threes? He has to learn how to balance that. Jrue overhelps too sometimes.

Thad needs a guy like Sammy to help mask his deficiencies at the 4. When he plays with EB, other teams start scoring at will attacking the rim. Now some of that is because Lou comes in with him usually, but it's noticeable. Not really his fault either.

johnrosz reply to Rich on Nov 4 at 0:55

I think a lot of it is knowing the personnel. He over helps a lot on guys that have no business being doubled.

I think Thad gets hung out to dry a lot on penetration because Lou is a turnstyle, and like you said, they usually come in together.

I think if they want to play Thad at the 4 they need Jrue out there with him to stop penetration.

Rich reply to johnrosz on Nov 4 at 1:00

If they play Thad at the 4: Two of JTI NEED to be in the game, and Brand or Battie should be the center. Thad doesn't need superb help offensively (he can score by himself), he just needs to match up with guys who defend.