Game 7 Thread: PHI @ NYK

The Greek on Nov 7 at 7:29

Brian,

Do you really think that Sammy is a championship player? of course not. Do we miss his rebounding and defense, of course we do. But the bottom line is that he is a loser that was on a roster filled with losers.

Joe reply to The Greek on Nov 7 at 11:33

Well, I know I disagree greatly.

deepsixersuede on Nov 7 at 9:24

Can J.Meeks get some time today? It will be odd not seeing Iggy but what player steps up? Evan Turner gets his career high and Doug, please don't put Thad on Gallanari.

I am really psyched about this game. With Iggy out I really hope Turner can get 35 minutes. Of course it can go wrong and he may turn in a bad performance, but I'm sure he will turn out a really good player for us, and sooner rather than later, and I can't wait to see it.

It's a good chance with Iggy out for him to realise we need more from him, hopefully that will spark him to assert himself.

You heard it here first - ET gets a triple double today.

Alvin reply to CM on Nov 7 at 11:47

That would be some story and I'd love for it to happen, but I rather he gets 30/6/4 tonight (or any night) than 15/10/10 if you know what I mean, cause that's more of what we need.

We can only dream.

Wins are wins, it doesn't matter how they get em, if Turner gots a trip double it's probably good for the sixers general outcome.

Alvin reply to CM on Nov 7 at 12:35

It's looking good so far, CM!

Toney Douglas is real good for the Knicks off the bench, interesting to see how the sixers deal with him.

Alvin reply to GoSixers on Nov 7 at 11:48

Douglas-Lou. Fuck my life sucks.

Does Amare go for 50? 60?

The Sixers have started out well in a lot of their games this year. Obviously Cleveland wasn't one of them, but they look back on track in the 1st here.

Just started watching, but like Jrue's offensive shooting so far, glad he's looking to score.

Is Evan Turner playing point?

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:25

Uh-oh.....Hawes with the glide-in throw down!

more production from Hawes in this first quarter than a couple of the first few games. Sheesh he's even rebounding???

I think this shows that Iguodala was holding back Hawes in a lot of ways...

Court_visioN reply to Joe on Nov 7 at 12:35

i think the fact that the Sixers are shooting 71% in the first quarter is a sign that Andre Iguodala is holding this team back. Without Dre this team is an Eastern Conference contender.

/sarcasm.

Can Jrue get a call please lol.

Court_visioN on Nov 7 at 12:30

Hawes is +2... UNREAL!

He isn't playing terrible either. Wow.

I really liked what I saw when Nocioni pulled down that board. The Sixers could get out and run a little but Jrue was being covered by Felton and he pointed to Turner and Noc threw threw it to ET who started the break. They are starting to become comfortable.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:33

Come on Lou, you had the lane there. Don't start jacking 'em up.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:35

EB sizzling!

This is gonna be the 7th game so I'm gonna say this is gonna be the kind of play it is reasonable to expect from him the rest of the way, which would be great.

Jason reply to Alvin on Nov 7 at 12:39

Let's wait and see what happens when his jumper stops stroking like this. He's shooting 80% higher than his career average from the field so i still think it's too early, he needs to maintain this for 15-20 games before we can write him in for 58% fg shooter.

I hate Lou's nonchalance at the end of quarters. It's always a fadeaway three.

Good quarters, especially from EB and ET.

Douglas is gonna show us how bad Lou is for the team game.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:38

Kapono in, so Meeks still in his suit, huh?

Brian's twitter said he's in uniform.

Yikes. Lou, Turner, Kapono, Thad and Hawes.

1 good defender and he's only a rook.

Court_visioN on Nov 7 at 12:40

knicks announcers remain atrocious.

Mike Breen? I think he's good on ABC.

Court_visioN reply to Rich on Nov 7 at 12:42

i guess i'm referring more to the color commentary than anything else.

hey guys,

my league pass is blacked out because I'm in NYC and i have no cable. Does anyone have a link to the game?

CSTH

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:42

Ugh, Hawes back in to start the 2nd. Speights in doghouse?

In other news, Hawes still sucks.

Haha Hawes has reverted to his usual rubbish self. Well it was (sorta) good while it lasted.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:44

Come on, stop this fouling jump shooters.

They do it more than anyone in the league.

Haha Lou and Hawes trying to find ways to lose this game in the 2nd quarter.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:45

EB back in, no sign of Speights. Probably a good thing.

Today we might see Bad Lou. Problem is he still has to play.

anyone have a link out there?

Jason reply to CSTH on Nov 7 at 12:48

Sorry, I can't find a streaming feed that's working right now.

csth reply to Jason on Nov 7 at 12:53

thx for looking jason.

can i ask, how do you even search for it?

csth

Jason reply to csth on Nov 7 at 12:58

I use these links to look.

note: the Sixers games that are currentely listed are both Veetle streams which requires you to install their software to get the streams I believe.

Jason reply to csth on Nov 7 at 13:00

Hey i tried posting the links I use but

"Your comment has been received and held for approval by the blog owner."

So guess it's not allowed to post those links.

Joe reply to Jason on Nov 7 at 13:03

It is the number of links. You are limited to somewhere from 1 to 3 I think.

Jason reply to Joe on Nov 7 at 13:08

I'll just post my main one which is ChannelSurfing.net Just a fyi, the current sixers stream they have is a veetle stream which requires you to install their software.

Jason reply to Jason on Nov 7 at 13:33

Wow Meeks getting non Garbage time!

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:50

Even though they haven't converted the last couple of times, they are killing us with this high pick and roll. DC needs to trap it like he did in the 1st or 2nd game of the year, I think

This half has had a lot of good basketball from the Sixers. Defense has to improve, but they are without Iguodala playing an offense-first team. This is what I like to see though, everyone (even Hawes in the 1st) contributing a little.

Jrue's looking comfortable as hell out there.

Get ET back in there, come on.

Rich reply to Alvin on Nov 7 at 12:54

He's checking in.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 12:55

Brian's laughing at the fall for the patented Lou pump fake. Ha

I wonder what Bob Salmi would say about Lou's pump fakes. He used to salivate over Andre Miller's.

Lunchpailing. I imagine he'd say lunchpailing.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 13:06

No movement on offense, everyone just standing around, waiting for a one-on-one.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 13:08

Jodie!

Little Alligator checking in.

Tough guy Nocioni taking a little bit of a cheap shot there.

Joe reply to Joe on Nov 7 at 13:11

I take that back.

The slow motion shot there was awesome though. You can see Nocioni not staying in the play and then scrambling at the end to try to get back in.

This Sixers team is really just atrocious.

Everyone pretty much is playing well for what you could possibly expect and they are losing, except Lou who has struggled a bit.

The team is just a turnstyle on defense.

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 13:26

Pretty crappy 1st half for both teams. Bad teams = bad play.

The knicks are better than the sixers

Well, at least Collins takes his timeouts after four or five point runs and not after ten or twelve point runs like He Who Shall Not Be Named from last year...

Wow, Turner has been horrendous this quarter

Alvin reply to James on Nov 7 at 13:52

He has. Well he was great in the first. He started to suck once he was put on the floor with Lou/Thad/Kapono/Hawes at the same time.

WEell when playing with four useless scrubs who can't defend and one who is a major ball hog, how good can anyone look?

Speights does 2 things... take shots and takes charges.

I love aggressive Jrue.

haha. Lou's pump fake is looking as good as any.

Nice shot, Jrue.

JRUE!!! big three to actually build on a lead with 3:28 left...

(man are these game threads empty without Brian here though)

Big shot by Jrue. Sad how this lineup is as good as we have at the moment. But I'd just be thrilled if we can get the W here.

Hahahaha Doug Collins is just a little pumped about this win...how long did it take to get win #2 last season?

eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 14:36

Landry Fields - 2nd round draft pick
Evan Turner - 2nd overall pick

....couldn't tell the difference

Good win without our supposed best player.

bebopdeluxe reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 14:38

Hmmm...guess I missed that steal-and-coast-to-coast in the guts of the game by Fields. Missed those clutch rebounds late in the game by Fields as well.

I'll go back and find those on the DVR...

LOL

eddies' heady's reply to bebopdeluxe on Nov 7 at 19:11

Don't fast forward by the 5 turnovers.

johnrosz reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 7 at 14:57

you also said Jrue wouldn't be a player last year. Still feel that way?

14 and 10 boards. From a rookie shooting guard? At least hate on him when he doesn't do anything positive.

Jrue and ET don't seem to hate playing with each other, early on in their first season together.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 7 at 19:12

Observations between two players does not equal hate. It's an observation.

bebopdeluxe on Nov 7 at 14:36

10 rebounds by Turner. Nice.

They should be 4-3...but I still like what I am seeing from a LOT of these guys. Nice minutes from Battie - shame he can't play 30 minutes a game. EB continues to play good positional D. Nice spark from Meeks. Turner continues to impress on D and on the glass.

Nice win.

Doug deserves to be able to celebrate, especially a win on the road without your best player. Nice second half - fun ending with Jrue and ET making plays. 14-10-3 for Evan in this one.

Emjoyable game.

Good to see them close things out in this one.

Team has been much better than I would have expected thusfar. They should have 3-4 wins based on how they have been playing.

So how about packing Iguodala and Brand right now? Now that Brand actually has some value?

Um, how bout keeping Brand since I'd rather have a 20 & 8 guy than nothing?

Mike P reply to stoned81 on Nov 7 at 16:10

Ew, you should be banned forever from posting.

That makes sense, as surely a true Sixer fan would hate the Sixers' best player and want to ship him out of town for nothing.

Mike P reply to stoned81 on Nov 7 at 17:13

No, I want to keep Jrue. Duh.

Iggy and Brand can go. Live in the NOW MAN.

I missed 3rd quarter, can someone tell me what ET did wrong? His box score line looks very nice.

Watched the first half then had to meet people. Sucks I missed what sounded like a good one.

That was ugly, but it was a win.

A combination of a parade to the FT line based on perimeter fouls and the Knicks inability to hit 3's won this won. Can't remember a game where there were so many fouls on jump-shots and runners.

Another good game by Jrue. That makes 4 good ones in a row. 19/8/5 with only 2 TO's. Averaging about 17/8 and 2 TO's the last 4 games.

Jrue +22 in 42 minutes. The team -12 in his 6 minutes on the bench. And Hawes "only" -13 in 16 minutes... baby steps, right?

bebopdeluxe on Nov 7 at 14:47

4-for-5 from 3 for Jrue.

I think we already have our 3-point shooter on this team.

Jrue and ET aren't PG and SG - they are just our two guards. Both can run the offense. Both can score the ball. Both have great handles. Both can board and play solid D.

I think we're all set there.

tk76 reply to bebopdeluxe on Nov 7 at 15:03

Yeah, just add in a Wes Johnson, and you are set.

I used to think that would be Thad (high efficiency without dominating the ball) but I only see him as a bench player.

I like it. It's kind of a 70s backcourt - 2 guys with size and all-around skills. Sloan/Van Lier, Hudson/Maravich, Bibby/Collins.

Sloppy with the ball. Evan Turner, when patient and calm, seems like he is fully in control. When he gets rushed, tries to dribble through 2 or 3 players, inevitably turns it over. just needs to calm down, pass the ball earlier. it'll come to him.

Is Brands's play enough to get him moved? Here is a sample trade that breaks his big deal into more manageable parts (although the Sixers could end up over the tax this year.)

Brand (16M/17M/18M)

for

Diaw (9M/9M)
Diop(7M/7M/7M)
Najara (3M,2.5M)

The could add in Kapono(6M) for Carrol(4M,4M,3.5M) to balance the salaries and sweeten the pot.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Nov 7 at 15:35

Adding in the Kapono/Carroll piece,

Same 22M this year. Sixers trade away 57M in cumulative salary (over 3 years) and will be on the hook for 54M over the same 3 years.

CM reply to tk76 on Nov 7 at 15:50

I'd pass on either version of that trade with CHA.

No way. You're willing to give up Iguodala for nothing more than a couple smaller bad deals? There's nothing of any value coming back in that deal.

tk76 reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 21:19

Not Iguodala.... Brand.

The point is you can move the small pieces, so it gives you organizational flexibility. And I'm being realistic. This is probably one of the only types of deals where Brand is moved without sacrificing a #1 pick or Iguodala.

Brand only is better, but this still doesn't move the needle in any way but making the team appreciably worse in the short term. Saving $2m to have a series of smaller deals doesn't make an impact.

tk76 reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 22:28

The point is I want to talk about realistic deals for Brand. Meaning cash neutral type deals, because its not realistic IMO to think any team takes on Brand's salary or sends back value, regardless of Brands recent resurgence.

So do you want to keep him 3 years and just not make any other moves because you are up against the tax? Or do you want to speed up the process?

4 players making the money of 1 saves you money and fills out the back end of your roster (back-up center, shooter.) But more importantly, Diaw and Najara expire next season. Which means you can start making impact moves this summer (as soon as the lockout ends) instead of waiting an entire extra year for Brand to expire. That's 1 less year in handcuffs financially.

As is, next year they have Brand owed 17M and 18M. It will be hard to do anything until the trading deadline of 2013, which is 2.5 years away.

While with this trade the Sixers have:

-Najara: small expiring next year. Easy to unload or just let expire. His 2.6M next year is negligible.

-Diaw: 9M expiring next year. A decent, versatile player who has trade value next year as a large expiring with some talent.

-Carroll: A bad contract for a Kapono level player. But his deal expires the same year as Brand's would, and is less than 4M per, so again not a killer for a role player.

-Diop: 7M per year for the length of Brand's deal. This part stinks. But he at least fills a need as a defensive center off the bench. So instead of paying 3.5M for a physical back-up center, you are paying double that. While Brand is being pain 8-10M more than his market value.

Um, trade a 20 & 8 guy for 3 completely overpaid bums? No. Thank. You.

tk76 reply to stoned81 on Nov 7 at 21:21

So would you rather keep Brand around the next 3 years, or do you believe he has positive value in a trade?

deepsixersuede on Nov 7 at 15:41

Did Meeks earn a promotion when Iggy returns? Spieghts, for the 3rd straight game did some little things and passed the ball.

deepsixersuede on Nov 7 at 15:43

Rumor has it after Spencer's dunk he pointed at Brian and said "put THAT on your blog". :)

He might have heard me laughing.

bdownbear on Nov 7 at 16:17

Mccoy!!!!

bdownbear on Nov 7 at 16:18

Sorry wrong blog...

No problem, had to be said. Can't keep settling for three, though.

Anyone who ever complained on this blog that the 76ers messed up by drafting Jrue instead of Ty Lawson is no longer entitled to an opinion about pretty much anything.

Taking offers for Brand and Iguadala sounds like a great idea. But I'm only taking expiring deals or real frontcourt pieces like Kevin Love, plus some kind of draft pick(s).

Agreed on all counts.

Mike P reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 17:16

Lets hope by this time next year we are this happy after a 5 game ET performance stretch that we forget about cousins.

If we get ANY offers for Brand that have expirings in them, you take them immediately. He was untradable for two years. Lets showcase him and ship him out.

For Iggy, lets try to get a pick/good young player or two.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 17:23

Were you near the bench? Did you see Collin's reaction after the win?

I was directly opposite him, not too far up. Didn't see his reaction, though. I was buys trying to get this shot.

I assume he was super pumped. I could hear him screaming throughout the game.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 17:40

Nice!!!

Jason reply to Brian on Nov 7 at 18:21

MSG has some shitty jumbo trons.

They do a have a gatling gun t-shirt cannon, though.

Tray reply to Vaughn on Nov 7 at 20:38

Someone did that? (Complaining about Jrue/Ty, I mean.) I think I was the biggest Lawson fan here and even I always said Jrue had much more upside.

You seriously don't remember people bemoaning taking Jrue over Lawson? It was constant basically until I put up that I heart Lawson post last season.

tk76 reply to Vaughn on Nov 7 at 21:24

Again, do people really think Brand would bring back positive value in a trade, given he is owed 51M over the next 3 years. Even if he is a 18/8 guy, that is not worth 1/2 his salary.

Not saying this in any way to bash Brand. Just talking about the financial reality of his deal, and how it effects this team.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive in my absence, guys. Much appreciated.

My wrap is coming shortly, by the way.