Game 20 Thread: PHI vs. CHA

Dear Larry Brown

Why do you hate me

Yours Truly

Tyrus Thomas

deepsixersuede reply to GoSixers on Dec 4 at 17:40

He has found a new favorite; have you seen the minutes Dominic Mc Guire is getting?

How sustainable is Thomas's play? I saw a piece on this on the CBS NBA blog (good blog, by the way) saying how he was scoring so much more efficiently this year and he should play more. But when I look at his shot location stats, I notice that he's shooting 70% at the rim this season, which is extremely high and up 15% from last year, making half of his 16-23 foot jump shots, which would be great for Kobe Bryant and is kind of ridiculous for Tyrus Thomas, and he's up to 34.5% in the nebulous

Tray reply to Tray on Dec 4 at 18:41

(continued) less than 10 foot range, which sounds awful but is way, way up from 20% last year. He is getting to the line a little more, but otherwise nothing has actually changed about where the shots are coming from.

Tom Moore on Dec 4 at 18:49

Video: Doug Collins on Phil Jasner's passing:

deepsixersuede on Dec 4 at 19:15

Anybody who wants to see if Gortat can handle a good center should be switching to N.B.A. T.V. during breaks in the sixers game. Bogut is playing and Howard is still out sick.

OK, it is Meeks in the starting lineup, I believe.

It looks like league pass is giving me a choice between home/away feeds, but the home feed isn't live yet. We'll see.

Tray reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 19:44

Zumoff just makes the games extraordinarily painful for me to watch. All he does is read facts from the media guide in his personality-less way and talk about metaphorical windows, doors, and seesaws. Other announcers have trademark calls; Marc just has trademark cliches.

So this lineup is going to be tough to contend with defensively. Do you let Meeks try to guard Stephen Jackson, or do you put Jrue on him and let Meeks deal with Augustin? I'd probably go with the former, Jackson has a huge size advantage on both guys, but I think Jrue has a better shot against him.

Alright, here we go.

Hawes wins another tip!

..and Iguodala misses another long two. Ugh.

Stephen Jackson immediately into the post on Meeks.

Jrue takes Augustin right to the hoop for an easy finish on the other end.

EB in the post w/ Diaw on him. That's easy money.

Hawes is so friggin' slow.

Looks like Brown is going right after Meeks on Jackson, hasn't hurt them yet, but Meeks just had to foul to keep him out of the paint. Keep an eye on it.

Wow, how did Meeks get that open?

Jodie!!!!1

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 19:49

Good pull-up Meeks for 3

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 19:50

I'm feeling a double digit win for some reason.

That would be nice. Might be even better to see them hold on for a close win, though. Just so we know it's possible.

Well, good start. Have a feeling I just shouldn't watch until the fourth quarter, though.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 19:53

Jo-3!

Wow, Meeks on fire. Three triples, 11 points already and they're running nice plays to free him.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 19:55

Jo-3! AGAIN

Heh, 4 threes now. 14 points for Jodie.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Great site. Can someone explain to me why Meeks doesn't play more/hasn't played in the past? I assume his defense is a big issue? Is he height an issue on the defensive end?

He's undersized to be a two, doesn't handle well enough to be a point, and I think he kind of had to force his way onto the floor. Sometimes when you aren't a prototypical guy, you have to prove it w/ production before you get a shot.

He's undersized to be a two, doesn't handle well enough to be a point,

Wait, I thought we were talking about Jodie Meeks not louis williams

Well, Meeks at least tries on the defensive end, he can shoot and he seems comfortable with his role.

Alvin reply to GoSixers on Dec 4 at 20:24

Haha nice one dude.

Brand did a really nice job of letting that double settle, then dribbling to get the angle to pass to Jodie across the court for the three.

Meeks also playing good D

Jrue with the hustle o-board and kicks out to Jodie for another one!

AND AI9 finds him in transition for his sixth!!!!!!!!!1

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 19:59

Yes. Jrue had a bead on that o-board the whole time. And kicked out for Jo-3!

Jo-3! again!

HOLY SHIT!

Awe. 6/7 from three for Jodie.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:02

Good attack there by Meeks although he lost it for the turnover. They're going to play him for the 3 now so switch it up on 'em.

Meeks with his 2nd foul.

That's Jodie's second foul. Guess they need to sit him.

Does anyone think the Bobcats would be willing to trade for Evan Turner? Larry Brown has always liked Big point guards...

I'm sure they'd love to trade for him. They don't have anything to give us and there's no reason to trade him, though.

Tray reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 20:11

Actually, I don't know what Turner's trade value is like right now. It has to be significantly lower than Favors's. No way Turner could ever be the centerpiece of a Melo deal.

Demonstrative first quarter. Sixers lead 32-16. Jodie has 20 points, but 2 fouls.

Nice work on that follow, Thad.

Nice rebound, Speights.

What am I'm saying. Brown already has Evan Turner in Shaun Livingston. They're both unathlethic 6-7 tweener guards who can't shoot...

Nocioni getting exposed on the defensive end. Philly feed just died for me on league pass.

Thank you for the help. It does seem like having him and Jrue at the 1/2 would be small, but he doesn't seem to play obviously poor defense.

By the way, I know you guys do a great job with advanced stats and watch more games than I do, but Turner looks scared out there to me (I have no agenda here).

Man, Nocioni is getting TORCHED on the defensive end. No matter who he's guarding. Turner w/ a careless TO. Need a timeout here.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:14

Turner's struggling. He's not putting forth the proper energy. Really no one is out there right now. Lead to 13, here we go again. Put a halt to their run.

I'd put the starters back in right now, honestly. Maybe leave Thad back out there. Send a message to this entire unit.

He looked kind of energetic on those drives.

Wow, sick move in the post by Iguodala. Thought he actually made the shot, but I guess not. To the line for a pair.

Nice job, EB. Uses the old-man pump to get Kwame into the air. Hits it + 1.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:19

Good continuation EB. After the bump. And one...

Hope that dumb foul by Jrue doesn't come back to haunt him in the second half.

Shit, three on Meeks.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:24

You can hear a pin drop in there tonight. come on

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:26

Good up-court pass by Jrue. A semi-laser on a rope. Nice

Jrue saw exactly how that break was going to play out as soon as he got the ball. Great patience to let it develop then hit Thad with the pass.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 20:30

Agree. He was patient. Because I was sitting here saying go go, but he held it and let everyone fill their lanes and zip, there it went.

How does Andres not have double digit technicals this year?

Not feeling too good about this game right about now.

Brown is starting to trap the ball out on the perimeter, need guys to come out and give Jrue an easy pass out of the double, then treat it like a 4 on 3.

Needed that three badly from Jrue.

That was good defense. Circus shot for Jackson.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:34

Oh my goodness!!!

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:36

What's Evan doing? we get it back for 2 phew

Iguodala really aggressively going to the hoop. Nice to see.

Jason reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 20:39

I wonder if he was put near the rim on offense that we would see more of that aggressiveness.

OK, at least it's still double digits at the half.

Sixers 56, Bobcats 45 heading into the break.

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 20:39

I was thinking the same thing, at least double-digit at the half.

Knowing LB and these Sixers though, I am kinda worried there will be another huge collapse.

Collins seems to have developed Thad into a useful role player, somehow or another.

Thad is playing like I expected him to play in his second season. I'm not sure what that means in terms of the player he will eventually become, or what kind of extension he deserves (if any), but at least the steps he took backward over the past two years seem to have been regained.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:39

That behind-the-back pass by Dre was nice. And the finish by Thad. whoa

Could have been a lot better first half. They left some possessions out there. But the finish is always the unknown with these guys. Guess I'll get on and ride again...

Wtf is this dude scared to score take that shit to the hole Turner fuck

Brian do u have the sixers feed from league pass or the cats

Both, actually. Not a full slate tonight. The Sixers feed crapped out at one point, though.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:43

Lou and Evan with only 5 min each? Hmmm interesting. And we're up by how much?.. 11?.... Doug sees something apparently. See if it holds up down the stretch, particularly with Lou.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:45

They just replayed every one of Jodie's three's. He has nice elevation on his jumpshot. Pretty good looking stroke from the kid.

And he's not really that undersized for a 2 - 6'4 and bulky, kind of like McKie. He shoots with his legs.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:51

Jrue needs to look to score a little more in this half. We have to have points from him. Create, but still look for his shot too.

Fasten your belts...

OK, big third quarter, let's push this thing up past 15.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:53

Dre with a not so high arcing three!

Good communication on that defensive possession. I could hear Jrue calling out where EB's man was when EB went to double.

Wow, 22-0 on the break in the Sixers favor.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:58

Jrue needed to stay with DJ there. He left him.

Uh-oh. Here we go.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 20:59

Why didn't Dre keep attacking the rim there when he had the angle. Instead he planed it off and ended up juking for a 20 footer. What's up with that?

Saw that, I have no idea.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:02

Wish I was 6'7....

Jodie with the 1-4 clear out, all the way to the cup +1!!!!!!!

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:00

Good form Jrue. For 3.

Jrue 4 3!

That is not a bad shot. Love the dribble back from long two to a three.

Sissy 14-footer.

Guess you can't go under the screens on Augustin. Make the adjustment, please.

i love the fact that Meeks is starting. He gives great energy and does stretch the floor. He is more of a positive out there than Nocioni or Kapono.

Didn't take Lou long to throw a shot up. He made it though.

This is getting sloppy. Sixers in the penalty now, hope we don't see a parade to the line for CHA.

Man, did you see how hard Wallace was taking away Thad's left on that catch? Great to see Thad go right by him with his right and draw the contact.

Thad had two tough games, good to see him getting to the line.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:13

I'm teetering with this game. They've done it too me too many times before. Not tonight, please.

Come on, Lou.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:15

All that excess motion from Lou. He's clueless sometimes.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:15

Good pass from Jodie to Hawes for the J.

Hawes might get double-digit boards tonight.

Wallace is just looking to get to the line now, smart.

JODIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jodie boom headshot

Could we play Turner a little today? Just 7 minutes so far.

Pretty sure Collins isn't going to fuck around with this lead, not after what happened last night. Still, Turner should get back in at some point, you'd think.

Tray reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:23

Kind of sad if we can't trust the second pick in the draft to come in with an 18-point lead going into the fourth quarter.

If it was Cousins, I'd have him a suit for the fourth. You see his line last night?

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:17

Andre with some funky high dribbling motion to Jodie for 3!

DRE WITH THE PADUNK

Blake Griffin-esque

Are we seeing in this game Hawes' season high in minutes/rebounds?

Wow, tech on Wallace too.

Big, big play.

iguodala is a poised veteran that can control the game. lovin it.

If this stays in double-digits I just hope they play Turner more in the fourth.

Meeks is unconscious.

Ugh, right when i was about to say, "That is how you finish a quarter!" Iguodala fouls them w/ 0.2 left on the clock in the back court.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:22

Good, good quarter there. Keep playing Jodie more minutes. And Spencer too. And Thad. Beat them by 7 this quarter.

That was not a shooting motion on that foul by Dre. Bull.... freebies there

OK, Sixers extend their lead in the third. Up 18 with 12 precious minutes left to play. Please don't be passive on the offensive end. I don't want to see any milking of the clock. Be aggressive until this one is truly decided.

Sixers 85, Bobcats 67

18 points.

Surely not, right guys?

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:26

Come on NOc WTF you doing

Filed under "something to be concerned about," Sixers starters have only gone to the line 7 times.

Put Nocioni on the bench for that technical, please. Can't fucking have that shit from a scrub.

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:28

Yes, please. He should be benched for that.

Brand is a beast sometimes.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:27

Get Lou's ass out of there. Put Jrue in please.

ask and...

Jrue for Lou. Thanks DC.

Nice D, Thad. He was on a string there, got back and cut off the baseline.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:29

Dammit Jrue.

Down to 15 and looking stagnant on O.

Danger signs. Taking (and missing) jumpers, one sloppy turnover, one T.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:31

EB busts his ass every night. He doesn't coast anymore like last year. Nice block.

Meeks shooting the T.

Atta boy, EB.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:32

EB with the silky turn-around.

NICE PASS (clap, clap) NICE PASS (clap, clap)

Well done Brand.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:34

Do the fans understand they can cheer loudly when we are up 20 points? It's OK you know. They can cheer, the guys could use it.

Adios. Thad just smoked Tyrus Thomas.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:35

Thad with the blow-by. whew

Sixers young legs paying dividends here in the fourth. Jrue blows by his man like he's standing still.

Diaw throws an old man move back at EB.

Brand w/ the emphatic double-double on that o-board.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:37

Jodie rims out on a 3, EB with the conversion on 2nd chance points. Just. finish. up 22 now

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:38

EB communicates his ass off too. Love that.

Get Turner in for the rest of this game, please.

It's over, and you don't want the kid to only play 5 minutes.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:44

Just asking.....but why do you feel DC should do that? B/c of confidence?....... His fragile-mind bothers me, but lessons are learned is the way I look at it.

Curious what your though process is behind that. Cause I disagree and think he needs to wait around the 3 min mark and if its still this much lead then put him in.

Yeah, confidence. You don't want to alienate the kid. I mean, he played pretty well last night, then only one run for five minutes? I say get him in there, especially since the game is over and Brown has cleared his bench.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:45

In other words, I'd reward the guys that got me here with their good play.

So you'd give him a 3 minute reward instead of a 6 minute reward, or whatever the time was in the game when you posted.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Dec 4 at 21:48

How can he get a reward when he's not one of the guys that got them there with his play?

Well if you acknowledge that there's good reason to let him play three garbage time minutes, why not six? Surely he won't feel his bad play earlier in the game is being condoned by getting six garbage time minutes.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Dec 4 at 21:58

I'll leave it at this. Yeah, player handling is crucial, but they've coddled the kid enough. It's bout time for him to grow a pair. And I mean that in the positive.

I see where you're coming from. I just don't see garbage time minutes as much of a gift or a reward. Keeping him on the bench is sort of sending the opposite message, plus, you had your main guys playing heavy minutes the previous night as well. Whatever, I'm fine w/ him bringing Turner in when he did. I just didn't want to see him rot on the bench the rest of the game. That was my point.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 22:15

I see your point too. And that was sort of what I meant initially - why put him in at 6 or 3 min left. That's no punishment, or reward, to me either. It's just the way it is. He needs to accept that and get friggin' better. It's not a slap or a pat on the butt, it is what it is.

Yeah, I don't really see garbage time minutes as coddling. And I don't really see anything they've done with Turner as coddling. Coddling would be not exposing him, only playing him against small defenders. Not just throwing him to the wolves, as they've done up to a couple games ago.

At that point of the game, I'd see keeping him on the bench as more of a punishment than putting him as a reward, and I don't think he deserves that. Nor do I think it's going to help matters.

Brand has killed this game off in the fourth (I think).

Come on, give Turner some burn.

Wow. Sick, sick pass from Jrue to Thad for the flush.

Heh. Jrue with an 'in your effin' eye' three.

Was Jodie limping there?

Speights loves to pass.

I realised Lou was coming back in the game and went "Ugh." I realise I dislike him more than I ever disliked Willie.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:52

Less Speights, less Lou, less Evan tonight. More Jodie, more Jrue, more Thad, more Spencer. There you have it Doug. Roll with it.

More Spencer, that's the ticket.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Dec 4 at 22:11

It was the distribution of the minutes relating to the rotations he should use. Sure it will fluctuate, but he's doing some positive things out there now. He's not killing them when on the floor as some others are.

Solid, solid win.

Sixers 109, Bobcats 91

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 21:58

Enjoyed it.

this may be nit-picking but the starters did play a lot of minutes. can't argue with the result though, a solid win in a game I thought would probably have been lost.

eddies' heady's on Dec 4 at 21:54

Double-digit predicted. Double-digit delivered. Cause it's all about the delivery.

TK76 should love this one. Battie didn't play at all and Collins yanked Nocioni 15 seconds into the fourth :)

tk76 reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 22:26

So much with playing the vets for the win...

EB was enough of a vet for everyone.

You know, if we can develop Jodie Meeks into a legitimate rotational player, that's great - but the priority has to be Turner's development, not winning games, or Meeks. If he really has the potential that all the scouts thought he has, developing him is infinitely more valuable than an eighth seed, 35 wins, getting Meeks time, whatever. And we need to play him with Holiday, as they're supposedly our future backcourt and they need to learn to play together, regardless of whether that's difficult at first. Wins like this are kind of meaningless inasmuch as the players who won the game either won't be around in a year or two or aren't major components of our future.

So you're completely closing the book on Meeks being a part of the team in a couple years? The kid is 22. Jrue was out there for 40+ minutes tonight and played a big part in the win and there's no guarantee Iguodala won't be here.

I think Turner should've seen more minutes, and going forward he's going to have to, but I'm not sure what, exactly, was being accomplished by force-feeding him minutes when he was just fading into the background. I don't have a problem with putting the breaks on at this point and getting him more comfortable/confident.

I felt the same way you did at the beginning of the season, but after watching him struggle like that, I think it was time to take a different approach. I just hope he doesn't get buried on the bench like he did tonight too often.

Tray reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 22:30

Meeks isn't going to be a major component of our future. I think he can be a decent guard coming off the bench. I don't think he can be a starter because he gives you nothing but shooting.

He gives you decent defense, as well. Long-term, if he's starting in the back court, something went drastically wrong, though.

mgfields reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 22:48

I think the reality going forward (barring injury or other major change)is that most of Turners development is going to be in practice, not the games.

Meeks, Lou, Andre, and Jrue are going to get the majority of the backcourt minutes. They've earned them.

Yeah, I don't think that's the best idea for the team. Iguodala's minutes should be at the three and Nocioni should slowly work his way out of the rotation, imo.

bebopdeluxe on Dec 4 at 22:20

For those who were concerned about Collins and his team's "pace of play" on offense...27 fast-break points, which was game-planned for. Collins in the post-game saying that he felt they HAD to get it into an up-and-down game with CHA because they had some really physical wings.

This team could easily be close to .500 - despite playing a bunch of tough games on the road already. If Hawes can actually give you 20-25 minutes a game like tonight and Meeks can do this consistently...

Can this be a good team?

Defense was pretty solid as well - including in the post. Brand is playing a quality PF on both ends of the floor. Iguodala learning to (as Doc Rivers would say) "trust the pass" with his teammates, which makes a big difference in terms of ball movement.

As Collins said last night, this team is playing a LOT better.

Collins needs to tell Turner to be more selfish when he is out there - like Meeks.

Pace of the game was actually really slow. 85 possessions, give or take. Defend to run is alive and well, though. That's what the 27 fast break points should tell you.

Really liked how Iguodala attacked on offense. Particularly in the 1st half. I don't even mind the 3pt attempt- when it is wide open and in rhythm.

Interesting how the teams 2 best wins (tonight and NYK) were the night after heartbreaking losses. I guess that says something about character, or youth or something. Also, Charlotte was such a smoke and mirrors team last year- unless we are under-rating the impact that Felton had.

Tray reply to tk76 on Dec 4 at 23:38

Well Felton is playing quite well in New York. And Wallace isn't nearly as good this year.

eddies' heady's on Dec 5 at 0:12

Evanordinary!

Meeks rocks. But some will tell you he doesn't play D, he only plays it like Thad - shitty. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Differences are a thing of beaut....