Game 21 Thread: PHI vs. CLE

Im still shocked because of the defeat in Atlanta, but we are some games like that (the first 40 minutes) away from building something here. We need this W badly, hope to see Nocioni make his first shot, so he stays in the floor for more minutes...
Greatings from Argentina
(I´m sorry if my english is hard to read)

One matchup to keep an eye on is Thad vs. Jamison with the second units. Jamison can get hot enough to carry them and even though they're similar players, I think Thad has had problems with him in the past.

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 18:35

docfunk.blogspot.com posted this really funny quote:

"Thaddeus Young explodes for four free-throws."

It made me laugh and sigh at the same time. Thad can be such an efficient scorer at times, and if he can somehow draw contact and get to the line he will be even better offensively.

I like how he's changed from chucking mid-range shots like last season to attacking the hoop, which has improved his game. Getting to the line will take him the next level.

Mike P reply to Alvin on Dec 7 at 18:59

Thad, Iggy, and Turner should be constantly attacking the rim. They shoot jumpers way way too much.

In other news, Jrue is on my fantasy team now. I hope he averages a triple double from here on out but the team keeps losing.

Too bad the top college guys look kinda crappy.

Tom Moore on Dec 7 at 18:38

Video: Doug Collins pregame on the Sixers' perimeter defense, coaching Byron Scott at Arizona State:

johnrosz on Dec 7 at 19:04

Have a feeling Jodie is ice cold tonight.

The points were nice - if he could contribute in maybe a rebound or assist that would be nice too :)

OK, here we go. I have the Sixers feed, thankfully. I hate that L-Train guy.

Hawes is back to losing taps in an ugly fashion.

Great start, Meeks w/ the turnover. Hawes w/ the loose ball foul. Not sure why Jodie is handling the ball like that.

Nice follow by AI9 on the Brand miss. How about a stop on the other end?

Jrue probably should've swung that one.

Wow, great pass from Jrue to EB on the break. This is looking better.

Jrue was set on that. I think they called it because he was at an odd angle. Just don't pick up another one, please.

johnrosz on Dec 7 at 19:20

Hickson is a nightmare matchup for EB

Just let him take 20-footers.

Jodie!!

They are scoring too easily.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:24

Nice give-and-go from Jrue to Jodie to Jrue for the layup.

Jodie!!

Then Jodie with a nice feed to Jrue.

then how does Mo Williams get to the hoop that easily?

Sick drive by AI9.

That's 2 on Mo Williams. Jrue to the line.

Yep, Jamison on Thad is hurting us.

How many 3s can Jodie hit tonight?

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:27

Way to draw the contact Thad and finish. And-one opp.

Nice work, Thad. Goes right into Boobie, draws the contact and converts on the break.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:31

Jodie in double figures already. Sweet.

I'm just glad to see a rebound and assists as opposed to last game where he got his 20 - and squadoosh else

Same for Jrue.

I really love how Jrue runs the break.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:32

See right there, Dre should have taken that all the way instead of trying to be so unselfish and pass it to Hawes, who had his back to the basket.

And if he hadn't passed it someone would say he's being too selfish

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:34

Really good close out to that quarter. Just no bench lulls here to start please.

35-26 after the first. The Cavs are just horrible, this is what you need to do to them. I'd like to see a little more on the defensive end for the Sixers, though.

God, this Cleveland team is so awful.

You can seriously make the case that the Sixers have between 3-6 players better than anyone on their roster.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:37

ET with the hot potato already.

wow evan.. that was what i would do if they threw me into an nba game

johnny reply to T McL on Dec 7 at 19:39

im watching the cleaveland broadcast: they cut to a close-up of Collins screaming "Evan- SHOOT THE BALL!"

Jason reply to johnny on Dec 7 at 19:49

collins was yelling at Jrue, the Cleveland stream is pretty bad, can't believe they found a way to bring up the Eagles fans booing santa story.

Extended minutes for Hawes.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:38

Wow, DC brings Hawes back out to start the quarter and kept Jrue in.

I wonder if brand had an injury issue.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 19:40

he played the whole quarter right?

No, he came out and Hawes went back in w/ maybe 3 minutes left.

Brand is back in now.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:41

Turner finally shoots but it's a bad shot, way too early in the clock.

4 players should get 20 tonight, easy, not saying it's a big deal or anything, but that would be nice

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:45

That's right, Thad, keep attacking.

Wow, Thad is torching Jamison, which I guess isn't that big of a shock.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:45

Thad on fire! 13 pts already.

Second unit is sucking ass here.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:46

Yep, 2nd unit defense is porous as heck.

swiss cheese

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:47

ET posting up Gibson. Go back to that.

That post is there as long as turner has this matchup.

I don't really enjoy the trading baskets.

I guess it's fine if they trade and keep the margin the same until the starters get back in. It's not really enjoyable to watch, though.

Keep Turner on Gibson whenever possible, seems to generally do a good job on the smaller shooters.

johnrosz on Dec 7 at 19:49

I think the back to the basket game for ET is his bread and butter right now. If you want the kid to feel comfortable, keep feeding it to him until they decide to do something about it

When he has Boobie on him, yeah. That won't be there if he has a legit SG on him, though. They should've gone to it more in that stretch, though they scored every time down the floor anyway, so you can't really complain on that end.

What an offensive game. Even the defense is offensive...

I've been watching on my comp so it's hard to comment, but, how good has Thad been? He is money on top of the foul line. O looks great, just a little more defensive intensity from the team.

Thad's been unreal. That iso play, man he's almost unguardable if he can go right there as well.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 19:56

imagine if he could force defenders to respect the mid range J?

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:50

Good ball denial by ET. Forces a 5 sec call.

Wow, five second call. Heh.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:53

Good, he took Lou out rather quick. Jrue back in.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:54

And good too he took out ET and put Jodie back in.

Perimeter defense should really let them extend the lead by the half.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:55

We on pace for 130 tonight?

More like 140.

Ugh, blown bunny by Jrue after a pretty move on the inside sort of splitting the double team.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 19:59

Ugh, EB blows the 4 footer after a good pass by Jrue.

I'd get Jrue in the post w/ Mo Williams on him here. Williams has two, plus he's a terrible defender with a size disadvantage.

Eric Snow seems to secretly hate Lebron or something

Is it really a secret? He's being pretty clear about it.

T McL reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:06

Hah, true. I guess I was just trying to ignore how candid he is, for his own sake. I guess they wanted snow to change for Bron, and things got argumentative behind the scenes.

All the more reason to root against him.

Joey Graham date raped thad on that break.

Thad Young for player of the game.

5 min argument about Lebron James. sigh
Who is pro Lebron, Zumoff or Snow?

Zumoff, I think.

Tray reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:09

What did they argue about?

Ugh, alright, Sixers up a dozen at the half, should be 20 at least w/ the offense they played. Giving up way too much on the defensive end.

Sixers 66, Cavs 54.

Rich reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:06

Yeah I totally agree.

johnrosz on Dec 7 at 20:06

sounded to be like Snow was ripping Danny Ferry.

Wanted them to implement a system similar to when AI was here, Lebron dominates the ball, with 4 defensive minded energy type guys.

T McL reply to johnrosz on Dec 7 at 20:08

May have been ripping Ferry, but I bet Lebron constantly asked for shooters (i.e. wanted to get rid of Snow and replace him with a shooting PG)... hence the heated argument

Tray reply to johnrosz on Dec 7 at 20:12

Because that worked for us. Besides, it's basically what they did do. They were always a defensive team whose offense squeaked by on one player's transcendent efforts.

johnrosz reply to Tray on Dec 7 at 20:15

I'd say it worked for the Sixers, they ran into a dynastic Laker team. In many other years they'd have won it all.

Tray reply to johnrosz on Dec 7 at 20:30

We should have been swept, and we would've been beaten by, say, any of the Spurs champion teams. We took 14 games to beat two mediocre teams and very easily could have been just another second-round flameout. Now, one difference is that LeBron is the best player in the league and Iverson was merely a brilliant, inefficient volume scorer, but even so, you just can't rely on one player. Anyway, LeBron played with tons of defenders who couldn't score much, like Varejao, Newble, and Snow himself. I think that model was tried in Cleveland and failed.

Hands-down leader for POTG is Thad at the half. 7-7 from the floor, 17 points, 5 boards, 2 steals in 14 minutes.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:08

always had a feeling a real coach could utilize him properly.

Jodie Meeks = Ray Allen

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:09

So-so half. Defense was way too spotty.

Dre looks good attacking, keep that up. Jrue is aggressive also. Thad is just bringing unmatched energy the last few games. Jodie is just the pit bull that he always is. EB hasn't really given us much so far, yet we're still winning which is a very good sign.

Collins seems to be sticking to the minute distribution from the CHA game Sat. night. Staying with his starters and Thad for the majority.

The crowd just seems to be numb to the spirited and better play from the guys, maybe b/c they've been lifeless for so long, but they don't even cheer hardly when we even make a basket or get a stop. To compare, CLE crowd goes nuts when they score, even this year w/o their star.

They don't cheer because we haven't contended for six years or so now and very possibly won't contend for another five. Spirit has nothing to do with it.

johnrosz reply to Tray on Dec 7 at 20:19

It's hard to buy in when it's painfully obvious that the owner doesn't give a shit, I think it tends to trickle down.

That interview has me laughling hysterically to myself

Nice work by Jrue on the o-board.

Then a missed dunk (looked like a foul), then the blown bunny. Finally he scores on a tough lefty scoop.

way to keep attacking jrue

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:23

Jo-3!

JODIE!

T McL reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:24

beautiful

ditto.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:24

Jo-3! off the kickout from Jrue penetration under the basket.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:25

Think you said the other day Jodie is a free agent, he sure is earning himself a nice payday if he keeps this up. Heaven forbid we let the kid get away.

Do you guys still think sending that 2nd round pick for Meeks was a terrible trade???

tk76 reply to Xsago on Dec 7 at 20:27

You got me there.

Wally Pipp? ;)

Brand is all over the offensive glass. How about a couple stops to just put this game away early?

God, I can't think of a worse place for Iguodala to land if he gets traded than Cleveland. Also can't think of any package they could put together that wouldn't make me throw up.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:30

Man Jodie books it going around those baseline screens. After throwing the ball in there.

Check out the photo I added to the post above. Ryan sent it to me, it was taken right before the tip.

Brand is toying with them, padding stats maybe with the thought most of the fourth is going to be garbage time.

I love it when our announcer admits he doesn't understand basketball.

Hawes has 10 boards in 19 minutes. In other news, pigs have taken flight.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:38

Hawes with a 3!

Double-double for Hawes.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:40

More Hawes, that's the ticket.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:42

All starters played the whole quarter except for Hawes. I like it Doug. Less Lou, less Turner, and no Speights. That's your rotation right there.

Michael T reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:48

Yeah let's give up on the #2 pick after 20 games. Do you even want him to succeed? You do know that it's not in our best interest for him to fail, don't you?

eddies' heady's reply to Michael T on Dec 7 at 20:49

I want the team to win, plain and simple. And he wasn't helping - at all.

Michael T reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:56

We're only 20 games in. You are seriously like Turner's own personal Ray Finkle.

eddies' heady's reply to Michael T on Dec 7 at 21:00

No, I'm like the 76ers biggest "team" fan. I'm not into this individual crap. I want guys that help the "team" concept and guys that give me production - and he was doing neither. You think it's merely coincidence the team has been on a roll since his minutes were reduced?

I don't hold a pom-pom with ET's initials on it. Mine just says Sixers.

Michael T reply to eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 21:11

I think most people would agree that you are quite happy that he is playing poorly. And that doesn't make you a fan of this team, because if our #2 pick doesn't pan out then it will set this franchise back a great deal. Anyone with half a brain would know that.

eddies' heady's reply to Michael T on Dec 7 at 21:25

OK, if you say so. Guess you're me then.

Piss-poor finish to that quarter. Lead should be 30 by now.

Sixers 89, Cavs 74.

Don't fucking let this slip into single digits, damnit.

So just like last game, Turner only has 7 minutes going into the fourth quarter. It really has been a demotion. In favor of a poor man's Korver.

My guess is that this is a tactic for Collins. He did the same thing with Thad earlier in the year. Completely trimmed his minutes, adjusted his role. Thad responded well, I guess we'll have to see what Turner does.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Dec 7 at 20:52

So you'd rather play Turner - a poor man's Royal Ivey w/o the 3 pt shooting?

I question whether you hold pom poms w/ Sixers on them. I think yours mostly say "Eddies' heady's." Relishing in Turner's struggles is all about you and has nothing to do w/ the team, or what's best for them now or in the future.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 21:23

I'm not relishing in his struggles - isn't it exactly what my expectations were about him? I mean, expectations before I ever knew we would have a chance to draft the kid? You can't relish in something you already had a notion/belief of. How can I take pleasure in something I'd already surmised?

I'm relishing in the fact that Doug and staff realize that draft position doesn't mean squat and production and fit does.

Why would I become attached to particular players especially if they aren't helping my fav team win? That's just stupid. If a guy doesn't appear, to me, to have the ability to help my team, then what would I want to keep him around for? They should be proactive and trade the guy.

Falsely pump him up around here to satisfy the masses in the community? I call 'em how I see 'em, liked or not, respected or not. The personal gripes/accusations are humorous as hell for a bunch of grown men, seriously.

You can question what you want, that's your right, but I'm giving you the truth, take it how you want it. Or just interpret, that's a common refrain.

Eddie's heady's, they're not saying you aren't a basketball genius. It's just that, in your place, most actual sixers fans would be a little upset to have been so right about turner.

eddies' heady's reply to Mike on Dec 7 at 23:50

Genius? No, not hardly. Basketball and Sixers aficionado? Yes.

They'll spin my thoughts/comments to either a) ridicule them, b)mock them, or c)twist it whatever way that suits their current soapbox, but hardly ever just respect them for being different. Not right, not wrong, just a different person with a different opinion.

Upset? That doesn't really do it justice. Try overwrought, incensed, infuriated, and furious. How can one label me not upset as much shit and grief that I give the guy with my comments here?

Therein lies the problem - the egos floating around here take it as the heady's beating his chest, when it's really just the heady's long-tenured, depressed, depths of fandom on display when it comes to this team with a platform to blog it away.

I comment about how ordinary the kid is and it's ridiculed and made little of and called antagonizing. I then say how it's a good thing that coach is limiting his minutes resulting in good play and wins from the team, and now I'm not upset or a true fan?

See, you can't win when most want to play the spin machine.

Damnit, lou 20-foot jumpers? That's the goal of our offense?

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:48

15 ft attempts in 1st half. 2 in 3rd quarter. Attack, attack, attack. Lou better not screw it up anymore here.

Thad, heh.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:50

And there's Lou jacking again. Bailed out by a foul this time.

Hawes is having the game of his career.

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 20:55

No shit. Double-double. He even blocked a shot.

Thad w/ a man's rebound.

Turner coming in, hopefully for Lou and not Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:53

Thad with the J. Good offense.

Turner at the three, huh?

eddies' heady's on Dec 7 at 20:56

Thad beasting on that board.

Could somebody give our #2 pick a touch?

Please don't go into a slowdown here. Keep pushing, keep the pressure on.

Should've dunked it, AI9.

Game. And I fucking hate Lou sometimes, even though he hit that three, I hate him.

T McL reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 21:06

Couldn't agree more...

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 21:06

Me too. I hate him. Such a 1-on-1 player. It's a team game damn it.

mgfields reply to Alvin on Dec 7 at 21:15

Lou is my least favorite Sixer.

This is a funky lineup. Thad at the five, Turner at the four.

This was a pretty dominant game from Hawes, but Thad's been unbelievable.

Who gets the player of the game?

Jesse reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 21:13

Have to give it to Thad

Alvin reply to Brian on Dec 7 at 21:15

It's damn awkward to not give Hawes one for a career night, but I feel Thad was unbelievable. He kept kicking the Cavs in the teeth by keeping the lead at double digits. It felt like he was making everything, well he was 11-12 from the field.

Thrashing complete. Sixers 117, Cleveland 97. Demonstrative.

Someone put a blindfold on Thad, give him the ball and ask him to shoot. I bet he'd make the shot.

Good win, although I don't see a high school team beating Cleveland tonight. They defended a little better in the second half.

Rich reply to Rich on Dec 7 at 21:15

I mean I don't see Cleveland beating a high school team.

Tom Moore on Dec 7 at 21:47

Sixers down Cavaliers for fifth straight home victory:

Fab Melo on ESPN right now. He's got an NBA body for sure.

Yes, Turner has been very ordinary, and kind of awful so far. But that's kind of why we have to play him, so he hopefully gets better. If you only give him 10 minutes a game and during those 10 minutes, play him with Lou Williams, ensuring he only touches the ball maybe three times during that stretch, he'll never improve. Otherwise, I guess you can give your minutes to Meeks and Lou and polish Meeks into the best damn 8th man he can be, and win 36 meaningless games, cheering the hearts of lovers of mediocre (but gutty!) basketball the world over, while Turner, who was the best college basketball player last year and might actually have the ability to one day lead this team, just rots. It's mindnumbingly obvious what the better choice for this team is, long-term. Now, if not playing Turner will somehow motivate Turner into being a better player, I'm all for it, but to me it looks like development, rather than motivation, is the issue.

Unrelatedly, this is probably the most unintentionally funny opening to an NBA beat writer's story I've read since Kate Fagan learned to write:

Vladimir Radmanovic surprised everyone when he asked to address his teammates after Monday's practice and then promptly initiated an expletive-filled rant imploring the group to continue to work hard.

johnrosz reply to Tray on Dec 8 at 1:57

he's a cerebral player that needs to use deception and change of pace to thrive. the sporadic minutes are causing him to rush whenever he is out on the floor. how is a guy who relies so much on feel expected to excel with 11-15 minutes?

Very unhappy with the way Doug has sort of buried him behind Lou. Hope one of the reporters has the balls to ask if winning 30 games is more important than trying to bring Turner along.

The minutes aren't that much of a concern to me. I'm not sure how much good it would do to have him play 30 minutes/game if he's sharing the floor with Lou for those minutes. Collins' failure, in my eyes, is that he has yet to find sets that play to Turner's strengths. When he does get some kind of iso, it's because the intended play has broken down. I still don't think I've seen him handling the ball in a pick-and-roll.

I don't care if he's only playing 5 minutes/game. If he's going to develop, he needs to be put in a position where he can play to his strengths. I don't see that happening on the floor right now. Maybe it's not a priority for Collins, maybe he's more worried about getting the guys who are contributing now into set roles, then he'll turn his focus to his biggest project. Who knows. I don't think it'll go on like this the entire season, I'm just wondering when something's going to change.

Tom Moore on Dec 8 at 0:26

Young is thriving inside 'electric fence'

Hello, amazing web-site you have right here, although I was going to let you know about what may probably be considered a web browser compatibility issue. I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit with Internet explorer, and the formatting is strange. It's a tad challenging to see some elements of your blog, and I am running my screen resolution at 1024 x 480. I'm sure you did not have in mind for your web page to appear so unusual, so could there be any way you'll be able to help me take care of this issue?