Game 34 Thread: PHI @ NOH

Just got a text that Spencer Hawes will miss tonight's game with a mid-back strain. Marreese Speights to start.

Old School Sixer Fan reply to Tom Moore on Jan 3 at 19:31

That could be a nice opportunity for Speights. I'd love to see him put up 15/10 with decent defense and a couple of assists. I know. I'm dreaming about the assists.

Wow, that's a shocker. DNPCD to starting with no steps in the middle. I hope he takes advantage, otherwise we're going to be seeing a ton of small ball.

Jason reply to Tom Moore on Jan 3 at 19:33

:O this could be a good thing for the sixers long term.

I find it amazing that Meeks and now Speights went from lengthy periods of DNPCD directly to starting lineup.

Looking forward to seeing what all the rest have done for Mo's game.

should read "rest has done"

Anyone know of an online feed for those of us without League Pass or local access?

Old School Sixer Fan reply to Vaughn on Jan 3 at 19:54

The game is on CSN isn't it?

Which is local access

he's looking for pirate feeds - adthe.net

Hmmn. NBA TV HD tonight. Not bad.

yo Brian - what channel on league pass? i don't see it listed--

If you have time warner, it's on nbatv. HD is 488, I think SD is 175, somewhere around there.

Sigh, if only my boss hadn't decided to call in from Costa Rica 5 minutes before five and now I have to wait to talk to her.

The only HD Games i get are NBA/TNT/ESPN - i don't get any league pass HD

thx man--

No problemo.

I think how unconcerned I am about Hawes' injury shows how good of a coach Collins is. Really doesn't seem to matter, but that could also be because Hawes blows.

Honestly, I'm shocked when Hawes doesn't completely blow. Just like I'll be shocked if Speights has a decent game. So no difference to me. I guess they won't be as ball friendly tonight.

The hilarious thing is that it doesn't hurt the team's depth one iota. Speights wasn't going to play at all, now Hawes won't play at all. Everything else stays the same (Unless Collins decides to go small for extended time).

Stackhouse really looks comfortable on camera, doesn't he?

So two legit NBA starters (PHI) vs. three legit NBA starters (NOH). This feels like the Eagles/Cowboys game.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:14

Was thinking that If the sixers had Iggy playing and Dalembert still these teams would be very similarly built.

And we're off...

Speights loses the tip.

I'm dying at watching Hawes get injured. It was so goofy looking. I hope the guy is alright, but it's hard not to laugh at that.

They showed it? How did it happen?

Speights on fire!

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:16

Oh man I can't even describe it. I don't know if it was how he got injured, but he went up for a layup at like 2 miles an hour during shootaround. He jumped like an inch off the floor and just grabbed his back.

Nice shot, Ariza.

We'll give that shot to Ariza all night.

Speights again.

Jrue seems to be taking more long twos during his hot stretch.

Yeah, he had to take that one, though. Shot clock was pretty done. (not the one he made)

PLEASE don't pick up your second foul, Jrue.

Brand was pissed at Jodie for not rotating there. Why the hell wouldn't you help off Ariza.

The Mullet Shake!

Shit, there's his second. Fuck me.

God Jrue that was so dumb.

Was that one of the plays where Paul just moved his arms into Jrue? F me.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:24

Yeah, he was leaning on him and his hands were in the cookie jar. Just plain dumb.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 20:19

Jrue's stroke when in rhythm is pretty. More importantly, he seems to be beaming with confidence.

Lou and Jodie in the back court. Don't like this one bit.

Lou for three, though.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:21

Lou guarding chris paul, Jodie guarding Marco, nocioni guarding ariza, 3 mismatches lol.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 20:19

His first foul was senseless too.

7 early ones for Nocioni by my count.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:22

I like the quickness in Nocioni's decision making.

Regardless of how they play here, Jrue just put me in a really bad mood. How many times is he gonna do this? He was asking to pick up his second crowding Paul like that.

I hear ya.

Ariza got rejected by the backboard on that dunk, and bricked a corner three.

For the sake of chris Paul, it's a damn shame that the hornets only turned Darren Collinson into Trevor Ariza.

Heh. Nocioni is demolishing Ariza.

ET and Willie Green in the game.

Keep shooting, Willie!

Damn, Brand is having some tough luck early on. That was a really nice seal on that last play.

2 on Nocioni. He's going to have to go big, I think. Thad at the three. Unless he leaves Noc in or brings Jrue back.

OK, how about stretching this lead before the end of the quarter, huh?

KEEP SHOOTING WILLIE!!!!!!!!!

Ugh. Willie hits the three :(

Shitty close to the quarter. Well, except for that buzzer-beater three by Turner.

PHI 26, NOH 23

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:37

I expected ET to hit that 3. Wasn't even excited when he hit it, thought it was standard.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 20:37

Sort of a blah 1st quarter. Guess cause Jrue went out so quick.

That Turner shot was basically a carbon copy of the one he hit against Michigan in the Big 10 Tournament last year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Who is this idiot analyst on the Hornets broadcast?

One thing Turner needs to stop is having his hand up when he wants the ball. Lou hit him in the corner for that three, but he wasn't ready to shoot it because his hand was up. That can be all the difference, especially when you just rim out. I believe it's called being "shot ready" in coachspeak.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Jan 3 at 20:44

He does that more than anyone in recent memory.

Alright, let's get Jrue back in there.

Thank you.

Nice drive, Willie.

Wow, Jrue in the post with Thornton on him isn't really a size mismatch.

These new NBA commercials are kind of creepy. The ones w/ film of the players when they were in high school.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 20:49

Thought the same thing.

Jrue rushed that three. Ugly.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 20:48

Damn Jrue. what a brick.

Speights is sucking wind.

I'm holding my breath every time Jrue is guarding Paul. I'd rather Paul get an open look than Jrue pick up his third.

Wow, Jrue's all over the offensive glass.

wow

That Jrue floater? He was fouled on that, too.

T McL reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 21:00

Was great how quickly he fooled Paul there.. He's really trying to take it to the best PG in the game, which unfortunately also screwed things up... love the mentality though.

Nice job by DC taking him out

bebopdeluxe on Jan 3 at 20:54

Pure SICKNESS by Jrue.

Two on CP3, huh? how about posting him up? Ugh. He's guarding Lou.

Ugh, ET is long w/ everything. Good move to get that shot off, and I liked how he pulled up short of the shot blocker. The touch just isn't there tonight.

anyone else notice ET is just an inch or two long on every shot tonight? he is back rimming a ton. he needs to put a bit more arc on his shots.

that was coming a mile away

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:03

Right now, Turner has about as much touch as Thad. He's getting good looks, just no touch on the shots.

F me. Another shitty finish to a quarter. I know Collins wanted to protect Jrue from picking up his third, but they really needed him on the floor for this stretch.

Horrendous finish.

Argh.

PHI 40, NOH 43 at the half.

Sixers led 40-31 with 3:05 left in the second quarter.

ET should get every one of Meeks minutes once Iguodala comes back.

Tray reply to Jason on Jan 3 at 21:11

I don't really believe that Meeks is an NBA player. The D-League's full of guys about as good or a little better than he is.

Terrible end to both quarters but I still have a pretty good feeling about this one. Doubt the offensive rebounding keeps happening though

Why has Turner taken 4 more shots than any other Sixer? It's like we've gone from not trusting him at all to entrusting him with our offense.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:08

We seem checked out already, ready to get this trip over with, thinking about sleeping in their own beds tonight. That quarter we just put up looked about like the whole half the Hornets put up at our place.

Alright, here we go. Terrible shot by Meeks to start it.

What sucks is that even when Holiday finds the wide open player, I expect them to miss unless they're Elton BRand

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:24

We need to attack and at least get to the line. too many jumpers

timeout.

Brand looks awfully generic tonight.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

He's full of painfully bad puns/jokes. Couldn't resist the names Brand and Holiday as opportunities to afflict us with his wit.

Speights finally ends the Hornets run at fucking 17-0.

Hopefully that Noc three wakes them up.

Three on CP3, right?

When did lou williams become 6'2?

Speights showing some life.

Ugh. Nocioni should never have taken that three. I hope Collins is spitting fire in that huddle.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:31

Come on, bad shots, so many jumpers. Even after o-boards. Can't get to the line like that.

Turner + Jrue = 5/20. Ugh.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:35

Stop it w/ the jumpers, please!

Come on. The Hornets are not good, just put something together on the offensive end and this game is a win.

The Hornets are not good

Neither are the sixers

Tray reply to GoSixers on Jan 3 at 21:47

Yeah, aren't the Hornets actually better than us at every position? Paul > Holiday, Okafor > Speights, Marco > Meeks, Ariza > Nocioni, and West > Brand.

I have no idea, the sixers aren't good, the hornets aren't good - the sixers are more tired due to the long trip

Joe reply to Tray on Jan 3 at 21:51

I think Brand is better than West for argument's sake.

Plus I'd take the sixers bench over the hornets bench

We are going to lose I fear.

WILLIE!

Argh. Double off Paul, he buries the three.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:39

Speights is the jumper king. He'll let fly any and mostly every time.

Well, they ended the first three quarters terribly, let's see what they do here.

First two.

I'm really looking for something to get excited about, but this game has just been a flat line so far.

Christ, Meeks. You're useless, huh?

Joe reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 21:48

Hey, he has 1 rebound...

Minny up 5 on a Garnett-less Celtics.

Kevin Love has 23 rebounds.

Glen Davis has 1 rebound.

Talk about a difference between starting PFs.

Unbelievable. Can't grab a fucking rebound to get the last shot. First rebound meeks has gone after all year, and he knocks it away from Nocioni.

PHI 58, NOH 68 after three.

You have a chance to make 50+ million dollars if you leave college - why keeps you from going?

Nothing, it if was me. Why do you ask?

I was watching the Stanford game during the commercial between periods and I was just wondering what motivates Andrew Luck to go back to Stanford next year, unless you don't want to play football for a living?

What's his background? Maybe if he comes from money, he'd rather just be BMOC for another year.

His dad played in the NFL from 83-86 and is the AD at WV. I expect they were comfortable growing up in DC - but not 50 million dollars guaranteed easy to pass up.

The thing is, if your career goal is to be an NFL quarterback - why not - and if it isn't your career goal - that's a different kettle of fish

(I need something to think about during this train wreck and dick bavetta sucks)

Bad shot by Jrue. Nothing going to the hoop at all.

Turner should stop putting his hands up so much. Especially when he is 2/11 and has had no impact on the game outside of that.

People should get over Evan Turner putting his hand up already, it's irritating, we get it, the sixers ALL suck tonight

Four stops to start this quarter and they've only cut 2 points off the lead.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:53

Turner's borderline useless too. He just doesn't help you win games it seems.

I like that Kapono told ET to rotate.

You are so schizo it's not even funny.

eddies' heady's reply to CB on Jan 3 at 22:11

I love you man ..... and your cloak and dagger....

Ron reply to CB on Jan 3 at 22:12

Stop associating negative traits with mental illnesses. No need to use Schizophrenia as an adjective.

seeriously reply to Ron on Jan 3 at 22:18

Agree -- especially when my uncle is inflicted with it.

I know this is going to come off as me being a wise ass, but he's afflicted. No one inflicted schizophrenia on your uncle. It's an affliction

Jasons reply to GoSixers on Jan 3 at 22:34

lol really GS?

Hey, the English language isn't too difficult, but there's a rather large difference between afflicted and inflicted (and if you have a relative with a mental disorder you should probably know the difference)

Mental Illness is poorly understood and there's too much societal ignorance about it in this country to not get the basics down easily.

Jason reply to GoSixers on Jan 3 at 22:40

The way you worded it makes it sound like you are trying to be more of a smart ass than anything. If you were trying to make him aware that Mental Illnesses is an Affliction there is a much better way to do it than starting with "I know this is going to come off as me being a wise ass, but"

Jason reply to Jason on Jan 3 at 22:55

Should of used are instead of is. Also you can make an argument semantically that mental illnesses are in fact an infliction.

5 stops, 4 points shaved.

and now they're -1 on the quarter.

They're helpless, and hapless.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 21:55

Jrue, go to the rim and draw contact. You've got to put em on your back if we're leaving here w/ a W. Ugh, back to 11.

I would really like it if no one besides Thad, Brand, and Jrue shot/handled the ball right about now.

Kapono is NOT the answer! Please, Doug, don't do this to me.

This T is only their 10th FT of the game.

Someone woke Kapono up to miss the FT.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:03

The backcourt guys have been so bad there's a JK sighting. Great..

Jrue Holiday is not a pure point guard and that's why they forgot about Nocioni.

Kapono with stifling defense on Belinelli.

Merciful TV timeout.

Kapono with a steal and a three!

PhillyFanMatt reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 22:10

Come on! Be great to steal a win here. Fun to see Speights + Kapono helping out, wouldn't have predicted that

There's some fucking life. 7-0 run. We've got a ball game, folks.

When Jrue Holiday drives and THREE HORNETS slap him - it's probably a foul there mr bavetta you antiquated senile old douche

fucking and one!

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:08

Dammit, let's go. Cut it to 4. Lead 'em Jrue.

Well, lookie lookie. Kapono with a very good steal and the 3. Then Turner with the rebound and Jrue with a "I'm not even looking at anyone else" strong drive to the rim.

Ugh. West had nowhere to go. No need to foul him on that garbage.

Great find by Jrue. Come on. 3-point game.

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:13

COme on Jrue, stop settling. Go to the hole. O-board and EB reverse. down to 3

Some life here. Great D, Jrue.

That was awful Nocioni - that was just AWFUL

Loose ball foul. Noc to the line?

Sixers ball if not. Come on, Jrue go to the hole, please.

Joe reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 22:15

What happened there? What did Nocioni do to West?

Terrible shot by Kapono.

Boston Came back to win

GS gets off to another hot start against a florida team and loses

Come on, the Hornets look beaten on the bench. I think Ariza is crying. let's fucking do this.

how 'bout a tech for one of these complainers?

Sixers needed that call.

OK, let's get Kapono out of there now.

Man these guys love Willie Green

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:20

Hey Evan, at least you can get to the line tonight.

Alright, get to the line. Get Kapono out of there right this second. You need defense, first of all. Second, he can't hit anything.

The hornets aren't likely to call a play for willie green - especially since paul can do whatever he wants

Why no offense/defense switch?

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:22

Don't know if this game pissed me off more or the CHI one? Probably this one.

Hey Jason

If you don't have the shot - PASS - you can't dribble

Come the fuck on. You gotta be shitting me.

The only good thing to come from this game would be Jason Kapono wearing a suit for the next month after this pathetic showing.

Pitiful.

that was a tech on west if i have ever seen one, and what made us decide to give crunch-time shots to kapono, who basically hasn't played all year?

Joe reply to adamfelz on Jan 3 at 22:31

Yep. Really odd West didn't get T'd up. It was a physical finish there.

Doug Collins was getting damn close to an A from me for what he has done for this team. That decision right there bumps him back down into the Bs for me.

Tired Sixers team battled tonight.

Tired Sixers team battled tonight.

Yep, I thought they were going to quit when they were down 13 early in the fourth. Just looked dead, but they fought. Gotta give 'em that much. They couldn't shoot to save their lives, but they fought.

jkay reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 22:40

huh? what? did I miss something? huh??

eddies' heady's on Jan 3 at 22:28

What a sorry fucking game....................

lol ET and lou 3-26

when you realize one of Ets shots was a 30 foot prayer it's even worse.

now we can take advantage of Kapono┬┤s increased trade value...

Man, that Iguodala guy, really holding these guys back

sigh!
another game to prove the cynical Sixers fans right.

and oh yeah I forgot...trade Iguodala, he sucks.

I guess Brand is your player of the game, kind of by default.

I'm extremely pissed at Collins right now.

Joe reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 22:33

Playing Kapono is a real big sticking point for me. You just can't do it really. A minute in any game is just too much for the guy.

Short handed already and no ones shot falling he was grasping at straws. I don't think it cost them the game, they weren't going to win whether he played Kapono or not. Lou? Meeks? They kind of suck too

Joe reply to GoSixers on Jan 3 at 22:37

I don't mind him grasping, but once Kapono made the 3 I really think you need to get him out and put Meeks or something who has played this season back in. Kapono was horrendous after the 3 and was mind-bogglingly heavily involved in the offense.

jkay reply to Joe on Jan 3 at 22:36

i dont fault him for that. he had tried everything; Turner-Lou, Lou-Meeks, Noc-Turner, nothing was happening. shots were'nt falling tonight, which is actually far from the main problem.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 3 at 22:36

Pissed at Collins? Hell, he ought to be pissed at Lou, Evan, and Jrue. They couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and he did what you would call desperate, to me. I agree it was odd and fracked up but those other three were fracked up all damn night.

I thought Speights wasn't terrible just due to the fact that he was hitting his jump shots, I would have liked to see more Nocioni/EB/Speights and Thad/EB/Speights or maybe even a Jrue/Nocioni/Thad/SPeights/Brand line up a chance.

Just got finished watching the game. Boy, was that ugly! I still think this team is playing playoff worthy basketball, but I have no problem with people doubting them. Tonight's offensive performance was just unbelievably poor. A couple of thoughts:

Brand wasn't feeling it by any stretch of the imagination, but somewhere in the 3rd quarter, it became pretty obvious nobody else could really buy a bucket, except Jrue who wasn't great in his own right. EB actually impressed me getting his 10 foot jumpers off against Okafor, and they should have given him a touch there every possession.

Turner was dreadful shooting the ball tonight. Everything was a little long, not like they were prayers, he just couldn't make one. On the positive, he was very aggressive and looked comfortable getting his pull-up jumpers whenever he wanted. They just weren't dropping. I thought his defense was very good all night.

On the subject of Turner, he looks by far a better player than Meeks right now, even when ET was the primary contributor to the team's poor shooting. Meeks looks lost offensively (Can't hit a spot-up J to save his life), and his defense was really bad tonight. Willie beat him a few times in the 3rd quarter. I have said in the past that he does try hard on that end, but he really isn't that athletic and his instincts aren't great defensively. Not a great combo.

Bad Lou.

Speights did an admirable job tonight. I would have stuck with him at the end instead of Nocioni, but maybe he was winded because he hadn't played? I don't know.

Jrue's shot selection was bad tonight. He's gotta know if he's hitting his threes early and stay away if he isn't. A few of them were pretty quick pulls too. I said this in the thread, but I'm also tired of this two quick, lazy, not smart fouls bullshit from him. He's too valuable to be out of the game, and he does this once every four games from the PG position. Collins has to tell him that isn't acceptable. That being said, I thought he did an excellent job on Paul all night, and his floor game was pretty good.

The sub that I didn't get was Nocioni for Thad. Thad was bad offensively tonight (Too many jumpers), but Nocioni had no prayer to defend/block out West and I think he scored two critical hoops on late possessions.

The Kapono sub was a desperate move, but I don't think it really mattered. Nobody else was going to score. Kapono's shot sure looked flat (maybe he's been watching Turner).

On a non-Sixers note, how bad of a shooter is Ariza? What a horrendous offensive player.

One reason I doubt that Jrue can be "the guy" is that nights like this are a pretty common occurrence with him. This is his 13th game this season he's shot under than 40%; that's a little less than 2 out of every 5 games. In fact, in 8 games, a little under a quarter of the games he's played, he's shot less than 30%. By contrast, he's had just 7 10-assist games, and 6 20-point games (two of which he had 10 assists in, so 11 games total in which either occurred). So, it's more likely right now that in any given game Jrue will shoot in the 20s than that he'll have 10 assists, or that he'll score 20 points, and more likely that he'll shoot in the 30s or worse than do either. While the production will increase (at least, the scoring will), what is there to suggest that the efficiency will? Right now his usage is a lot lower than what it would become if he were to take on the role that some suggest he can.

The interesting thing, to me, is how you decide to compare apples to oranges in your "pick arbitrary numbers to prove something that's impossible to prove" charade. Tonight, you use field goal percentage to illustrate how bad he is, but you use points-per-game as the "good" barometer. Let's just flip this asinine logic on it's head for a second:

Jrue has shot 50% or better in 12 games so far this season and he's only been held under 10 points 7 times, so he's 63% more likely to be awesome than to suck. Conversely, he's had more than 5 assists 27 times, and only 6 times has he had over 5 turnovers. He's awesome at taking care of the ball. The kicker though, is that he's had 8 games with at least 5 boards, 5 assists and 10 points and he's never missed more than 3 free throws in a game, so as you can see, he's definitely going to be a star.

I like this post! As a recommendation about Costa Rica, check out this website, I took them for my vacation in Costa Rica and I am very satisfied Costa Rica Trips They are company that operate as whole saler for hotels. It is you dream vacation. They have hotels for cheap. Amazing post, I'll recommend some people here.