Game 39 Thread: PHI vs. MIL

There's no reason the sixers should lose this game

So when they do I won't be surprised

I read this on Brew Hoop today and then checked it out and it' true: The Sixers Turnover Rate (percentage of possessions ending in a TO) is the best in the league. Last year, they were 21st.

Pretty crazy, considering their PG is 20.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 17:46

Especially when all of us are critical of his turnovers to different levels.

It probably has more to do w/ the low turnover rates of the secondary ballhandlers (Lou and AI9 both turn the ball over at very low rates). Jrue's TOR is 8th-worst among PGs who play 25+ minutes/game, which isn't really something to be ashamed of, considering the company he's in and raw numbers. He's maybe a percentage point below average for starters, then everyone else is pretty low (outside of turner, who doesn't handle the ball much at all).

As a rookie I sometimes thought of Keyon Dooling as Jrue's "floor."

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 14 at 17:46

While an optimist could call Salmon's the "floor" for Turner.

Say Turner is the first off the bench for the Sixers, who does Dooling guard?

Meaning Turner is in for Meeks.

So

PG: Jrue
SG: Turner
SF: Iguodala
PF: Brand
C: Hawes/Speights

vs.

PG: Salmons
SG: Dooling
SF: Ilyasova
PF: Mbah A Moute
C: Bogut

If you get that personnel on the floor, Dooling will have to guard either Jrue or Turner. Both of those guys have size on Dooling, and they should be able to take advantage of it.

CB reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 18:57

Isn't that something we talk about almost every game, and almost every game they don't go into the post or exploit matchups? This is something that always strikes me about D'Antoni-led teams. Yes, they shoot lots of 3s, and they are very good at the secondary break, but they also exploit the crap out of mismatches.

Jrue vs Earl Boykins is happening at some point in this game. Can't wait.

My guess is that Collins immediately goes to Lou when Boykins comes in. I can't explain it, for the life of me, but that's what he's done against Boston when Nate Robinson came in.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 18:35

Ugh. What is with Philly coaches being terrible in game managers. Reid/Charlie now Doug.

Could Doug just not know how to handle guards in game? Secretly tanking? Jrue is the most talented Point guard he's ever coached, so maybe he's still learning.

Tom Moore on Jan 14 at 18:30

Video: Collins pregame on bunched-up Eastern Conference race, Iguodala getting two more practices in before playing:

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 18:38

can't wait for Nocioni to get decent burn in the first half, play like complete shit on both ends and then not come back. Then after the game hear Doug go "oh hey listen, well Noc just didn't have it tonight. He tried to gut it out but he just couldn't play"

Alright, I've got the Sixers feed on League Pass. Zumoff is pumped up. Eric Snow finally made it out of Atlanta, so no Jim Lynam. I'm excited.

And Hawes loses the tip. No surprise there.

Eh, I'm fine w/ a dooling contested three.

Hmmn, they have Jrue on Dooling, Jodie on Salmons. And Dooling is running the point.

Pretty sure Jrue was fouled on that drive, but he wasn't decisive. Might be why he didn't get the call.

Energy level doesn't look great early. Milwaukee is helpless on the offensive end, luckily.

Does this team have even an average long range shooter? Ilyasova's known as one I guess. The Sixers really should pack it in.

I wish Iguodala would've spent all that down time working on his foul shot.

Now that was a sissy hook.

Sissy hook/runner. Sweet.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 19:18

Ditto on Dre at the stripe.

Shitty foul by Brand. Don't let him get the shot off.

Yet again, the offensive boards are a killer early on.

Wade has to be getting more endorsement money than LeBron, right? I mean, Wade's in every other commercial. I wonder if "The Decision" wound up costing LeBron some money because he's so hated now.

It did - like rape cost Kobe money - in the short term - if the heat win (and lsomeone tells lebron to stfu) he'll get the endorsements back

Well, Hawes has already played more minutes than he did last game. Guess Doug is happy w/ his effort so far.

Iguodala with his first hoop in a while.

ughhh...leaguepass is f*cked up. only game i can watch is pistons-raptors. might as well shoot myself.

Turner first off the bench.

ET's the first of the bench, nice.

Jrue and EB have that play down. Just keep running it.

Not sure why they aren't fouling Bogut on the blocks.

Nice move by ET.

that's a shot that I am confident ET could get off in the final minute.

Much better to have Lou pump fake three times and take a fadeaway 20-footer.

Offensive? WTF? No way was he set.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 19:26

Looked like he was to me, close one though.

What do you think Turner was saying to Hawes there? my guess:

Why are you so useless?

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 19:27

...'teach me how to fadeaway on every shot attempt'...

Missed the early part of the game - didn't know they had already gotten into it before the thing in the 4th...

Man that Durant commercial freaks me out. I wish they'd stop showing it. It's like "To catch a predator" or something.

Let's see what the team does to Lou. Jrue had the offense running pretty smooth, especially considering it was the Bucks D.

Don't like the hook for Jrue.

Brand offered zero help on that CDR drive. That's why Turner had to foul him.

He just picked up his second, too.

Yep, Lou in match up with Boykins.

Jason reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 19:31

Sigh, this is a mismatch in favor of the bucks.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 19:29

Jrue has been playing the whole first quarter lately. We don't have a b2b do we? He pulled sort of early, to me.

Nope, next game is Monday.

Blown bunny, Lou. then no one stops the ball leading to a wide-open three.

There's Lou's patented blown layup, followed by a Nocioni dribble drive.

Maggette ate his lunch on that dribble drive. Do you have any idea how rare that is?

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 19:34

Haha, good point.

It's the Lou show. He better keep scoring.

Zumoff says "He's got a lot of stuff" for anyone who attempts a post move.

A good end to a quarter, for once.

Iguodala's three to end the quarter pushes the lead to 5 after one.

PHI 28, MIL 23

Terrible, terrible offense. Lou hits a three against the shot clock to bail them out of the mess he created over-dribbling.

Better that time. Still too much Lou dribbling for no purpose, though.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 19:38

Great look by Reese.

Much better that time. Lou did something with the dribble and Speights w/ a pretty find of AI9 for the dunk.

That really is a good look for Speights, flash to the foul line for a catch and shoot.

Good pass to Dre for the dunk as well. That's not gonna happen every day.

Speights is playing really well as of late. About time.

Iguodala looks noticeably better physically tonight.

Very good. That's a couple possessions in a row where Lou didn't just dribble for no reason, easy hoops as a result.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 19:44

Yep, if you're gonna dribble at least be going somewhere and not just standing there doing it.

bebopdeluxe on Jan 14 at 19:44

Meridith's a big girl, but she has a high-quality rack.

oh snap...rebooted my cable box and not only do i get the home broadcast, but we killin em. THINGS IS GOOD

Laugher?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 19:45

uh, Thad going to his right in getting a bucket.

Hey, someone finally fouled Bogut.

Brian I expect a "How Sick Is Thad?" post soon...

bebopdeluxe on Jan 14 at 19:47

Jrue
ET
Iggy
EB
Speights

What is the percentage likelihood that these five guys will EVER be on the floor in the guts of the game this season?

0%, roughly.

Look at Speights!

Though I guess he's always hustled for points.

Jrue in for Lou.

Collins: Good job Lou, take a seat.

I agree.

Jrue w/ a couple shaky possessions upon his return. Wonder if Collins goes right back to Lou.

Heh, give Speights the assist.

Hated that possession. Too much dribbling by AI9.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 19:51

Nice save by Speights. But the airball from Dre?

Brand for Speights. I wouldn't have minded Speights playing a few more minutes. I'm sure Brand's knees feel the same way.

Too much dribbling for Jrue. He looks pissed to me. Probably about sitting so long.

Ironically, Lou and Speights have run the best offense this half.

The rest of the team has had a lot of good shotmaking, including that Jrue shot.

Jrue and EB were clicking early. Then Jrue went to the bench.

Ugh. Turner coughed it up twice in that possession w/ bad and/or lazy passes.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 19:58

I wouldn't mind Brand catching that pass. He's calling for the ball, and maybe it was a little low, but he whiffed on it as if he wasn't ready for it.

Yeah, maybe he should've handled it, but it was a bad pass. Short hopped him.

The Bucks can't be happy that Jennings is doing the dunk contest like a week or two after coming back from foot surgery.

I typed that before snow/zumoff had their on air debate. Yes, I'm ashamed of myself for thinking along the same lines.

Fuck, Turner. These passes are terrible.

Another poor pass by Turner. His passing is a bit off a lot, that's concerning.

And that's the shot we get out of the timeout? Come on, doug.

That's like 4 turnovers almost in a row, and that bad jumper from Lou. How about letting your PG run a fucking play or two, huh?

Give the ball back to Lou, Thad. He's just standing there.

Shocking shot to end the quarter for the Sixers, huh?

Pitiful end to the half. Absolutely pitiful.

PHI 55, MIL 49 after two.

I love letting Jrue stand in the corner while Lou dribbles the air out of the basketball. Love it.

It's fun, right?

Meeks never got back in the game after leaving w/ 4:44 left in the first. Pretty odd for him, actually. 0/3 from the floor, maybe Doug using the "if he's not hot, why play him?" philosophy.

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 20:09

DC's infatuation with Lou these last several days has really caused a decline in the level of overall team play. His leash is so absurdly long, I can't stand it.

There's a great high school game on ESPN right now: Michael Gilchrist, who looks like the #1 pick in 2 years against Doc Rivers' son, who is going to be a terrific NBA shooting guard.

I would love to see either of them in a Sixers uniform down the road.

Jason reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 20:15

Watching, What number is each? (what team is each on as well lol)

Rich reply to Jason on Jan 14 at 20:20

Gilchrist is on St. Pats- He's just a versatile 6'7 athlete. He's gonna be a great defender. Rivers' scoring ability of the dribble is fantastic.

think Rivers is a little overrated as an NBA prospect. I'm going to watchin Gilchrist twice in the next three weeks in person.

I wouldn't mind Jodie getting a quick hook.

Bad start to the third, on both ends. They need to wake up. Three for AI9.

Jrue just picked up his third, and it was that play I was talking about earlier today, where he's rushing to get back to his guy on the P&R. Ugh.

Huge board for Jrue to start that break. Three on the other end for Jodie.

Man's board by Jrue, push by Dre, 3 for Jodie.

Nice.

Too fucking easy for Bogut.

Jrue with another TOV. Not liking this start.

Shit, Jrue. Get your head out of your ass.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:29

Why Jrue? Why runt your hip into him? Why? 30 ft from basket?

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:30

Close em up w/ a 3!

Three for Jrue. Need him on the floor playing smarter than this. He's begging for his fourth foul right now.

2 good defensive possessions in a row.

Iguodala should've taken that himself. Meeks cannot finish.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:32

That break the ball should've never touched the floor, Dre gave the pass to Jodie a li'l too late.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:33

B/c Jrue gave a crisp ass outlet pass to Dre.

Jrue goes over that dribble handoff, 40 feet from the hoop? Why?

No idea.

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 20:34

here comes the Team Lou effect. Bucks will be down a bucket in no time

Too easy for Bogut. Through the double, too.

This lineup with 3 small guards blows. Jrue is guarding Maggette.

Great way to get Jrue his fourth foul, too.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:36

Can't we just blow these guys out w/ what happened the last two games? Please.

He better get Turner some run in this half. Teach, don't bench him.

Please get Jrue in the post w/ Boykins on him. Pretty, please?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:38

Good take Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:39

Jrue w/ another nice outlet pass. Lou misses the trey.

What? That foul wasn't on Jrue. Hawes fucking mugged him.

I still hate Lou, but he does make that left corner jumper 85 percent of the time.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:40

And his fourth, ugh. He was gonna sit eventually anyway.

Was he even in on that play? he was guarding the ball on the opposite side of the floor.

i would love to know who is voting on these AT&T polls.

Why no Speights in this situation? He played well in the first half.

He subbed Nocioni in the game for Jrue instead of Turner. I'm turning on Collins by the minute.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:43

Strong end here now. Get it to around 15.

Brand still hasn't missed.

Brand is on fire.

Another terrible end to a quarter. At least we got a Lou 30-footer at the buzzer.

PHI 77, MIL 72

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:47

No Marc, that three was not healthy by Jrue.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:47

*Lou

How do you play Nocioni over Turner? That's just fucking stupid.

Nocioni 3/12 since injuring his finger. He's not effective on offense. He'd be better in street clothes.

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 20:49

Doug is coaching like a real asshole this week

I'd like to see Jrue for 12 minutes here, and some actual offense being run. Pretty sure neither of those things is going to happen, though.

BTW, the defense has been atrocious to this point.

I've got MIL at something like 72 points on 65 possessions. Make that 74 on 66.

wait, so...wait...is that lou starting the fourth at the 1?

Charlie H on Jan 14 at 20:51

do you think they're showcasing Lou? why is he dominating the ball even when Jrue's in the game?

How did that shot go in?

"He sprouted wings."

Charlie H on Jan 14 at 20:53

I can't believe they're gonna lose to this team of 2nd stringers. at home.

Alvin reply to Charlie H on Jan 14 at 20:55

It's not hard to believe who this team loses to. They did lose to the Wizards twice, and in some style too.

Of course if it's gonna be close down the stretch, you can trust all the plays being called for Lou, and yet another close loss. It's a secret tanking mission.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:54

wtf... they get a gooden 3 which is good and then grab an o baord and convert.

Good block Speights. Win this game please. Is it too much to ask?

I hate to say this, but Speights looks noticeably better than Brand on defense.

Lou shooting, again.

hahahha MoSpeezy lookin all tuff blockin Earl Boykins

Good to see Speights trying to rub it in on Boykins. I wasn't sure if Speights was really tough, but that seals it for me.

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 20:55

What a selfish basketball player. My god I hate Lou

Our best chance is if Doug decides he needs to get Lou a breather before he comes in and "takes over" for the final three minutes. Maybe Jrue can give them enough of a lead when Lou goes out.

Defensive rebounding. Maybe important in basketball?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:57

Shit a 3 off an o board. come on score please.

Thad.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:58

rrggghhh....a Boykins o board...come on and gooden makes.

Dre w a nice one.

thk you Iguodala

Well, Iguodala should be able to score every time down the floor as long as Maggette is on him.

Charlie H on Jan 14 at 20:58

another offensive rebound by Boykins? Jesus Christ.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 20:59

Spencer getting some hard earned minutes. Get em Spence..

Wow, Hawes and Turner getting into it, huh? You guys see that?

I saw it. I logged in (just go home) just to ask about it - so I wasn't imagining things?

I also saw Hawes kind of testy a bit later too with someone else.

WTF was that about?

Hawes wanted him to shoot it. That much was clear. Not sure what the larger issue is w/ sissy hook, though.

They were mouthing at each other - he threw a fore arm a bit into his chest - and then collins took him out - probably cause collins liked seeing hawes have ' heart'

Wait why is Hawes checking in? And for Thad?

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 21:00

why'd iggy just give ET the forearm shove

johnrosz reply to johnrosz on Jan 14 at 21:01

or was it Hawes

Hawes yelled at him to shoot it. Turner basically said fuck you. Then I saw someone shove Turner, but couldn't tell who it was.

Looked like hawes (pigment wise) to me

I couldn't see who shoved him, he and Hawes were yelling at each other.

johnrosz reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 21:02

looked like ET was telling him to relax. someone came in with the elbow. thought it was Iggy

If one hates Iguodala one will blame him for everything.

The arm was white

I just went back and watched it, the arm wasn't white, and it was definitely Iguodala.

Hawes made the shooting motion and yelled at him, Turner said something, then Iguodala shoved him with the forearm.

It looked more to me like Iguodala's forearm was more of a "call down, young fella" type gesture, and not malicious. I'm not sure what Hawes was saying, outside of the obvious take the shot, nor what Turner said in response. I'm not a good enough lip reader for that, although it obviously looked like Turner took exception to the criticism.

Aaaaaaaannnnnnd..... Lou in for Turner.

Alvin reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:05

Well at least we know we don't need anyone to yell at Lou to "shoot it"

And Turner got the hook for not taking that corner three. Lou Time!!!

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 21:01

Lou would have pump faked it. I'm disgusted.

Alvin reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 21:03

Just having Lou on the floor disgusts me, even if he's scoring well like today. I just don't like that guy as a basketball player. Period.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:01

Hawes w/ the charge. lol

7 minutes for the #2 overall pick tonight, folks.

Charlie H reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:04

makes no sense

He was really bad in that one stretch in the first half. I have no problem benching him for that, but he should've gotten back into the game much earlier in the second half.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:03

Was Jrue not really liking what Hawes had to say right there in that meeting w/ Doug? Looked like he didn't want to acknowledge him. He looked pissed.

Hope he's pissed enough to win this game for us.

Shit, missed it. Do we have a mutiny brewing?

Like I said hawes seems testy tonight - maybe he's upset because he realizes he chose the wrong political party?

Or maybe he's PMS?

Come on, hit the freebies.

Is Brand gonna contest Gooden a little better of these days?

Snow is absolutely right about Jrue going East/West on Boykins. Go right at him and bully him.

The Bucks look like they are gonna get to 100, it's never good when the Bucks score 100 on you. Especially without Jennings.

Just put Jrue in the post one fucking time. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Last 3 minutes - Jrue on the floor - not bringing up the ball - consigned to stand in the corner

Yep. Nothing we haven't seen before.

If Lou hits tough shots or gets someone to bite on his pump fakes, we might win. If not, we won't be able to score.

Hell I saw Andre and Turner bringing the ball up ?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:09

Spencer? Ah fuck it I'll take it. Just win this MFer, not these scrubs, please....

It looks like they are just running offense so far in relative crunch time, in spite of Lou's presence. That Hawes shot was in the flow.

Shit, even Brand missed. Looks like another one of those days.

Jrue should be attacking him mercilessly. Just drive literally right the fuck at him, he'll bounce right off him.

They're going to Salmons in the post. Fifth on Jrue.

If I'm Jrue, I'd definitely be pissed about being overlooked in favour of Lou. It doesn't make sense. I mean, Jrue's the one carrying/running the offense most of the game. If it's close it's because he's been keeping us in it. Why take the duties off him then and give it to that selfish prick Lou?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:13

Spence w/ the rotation and contest? Yeah I laughed too...

Ugh, come the fuck on.

No one on this fucking team can rebound

Any chance they get a hoop in the final minute?

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:14

Spencer with the putrid attempt at the board, THey get a second chance, shot clock violation. Come on, guys. Beat these cats man....

Lou had a hand in that as well. His guy got it.

Dear Doug Collins

with every play with under 5 minutes to go that lou brings up the ball - i hate you more

Great, Lou made a step back three where nobody else touched it. That's sustainable.

Charlie H reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:17

heh. does he ever pass?

There you go. Dribble for 20 seconds and hit a tough shot. Yay Lou!

See

LOU IS CLUTCH

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:15

Lou for 3! I can smile but it seems to hard to usually stand up....

Check out what it said in ESPN's box score - Andres Nocioni blocks Andre Iguodala's 11-foot jumper - I literally LOL-ed.

"a man's rebound"

Zumoff is priceless.

Well, at least he got Lou out for defense. First offense/defense sub I've seen him make this year. Timeout to get Lou back in.

He puts Turner in for Lou and Salmons can't exploit them. What a novel idea!

I don't like the "let's play allen iverson" final minutes of Lou and DC. But nice 3.

Charlie H reply to Xavier on Jan 14 at 21:19

Lou models his game after AI. I don't understand Doug - he understands the importance of ball movement and moving without the ball, yet he gives the reins to Lou!

Court_visioN on Jan 14 at 21:17

good sub by collins. turner for D.

16 seconds on the shot clock. Lou dribbling for 14 then taking a jumper? Leaving 10 seconds for MIL to hit the game-winner. That's my prediction.

Charlie H reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 21:20

ugh. sounds about right....

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Jan 14 at 21:22

any more brilliant predictions?

He put Meeks in for Thad? Can you imagine this unit trying to defend their big unit?

I have a feeling Jrue didn't want to pass it to Lou there :)

Hey Lou

That's why you suck

wow.

Great fucking work, Lou. Excellent.

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:20

So it went from Jrue throwing it in to Dre throwing it in, both times the look was for Lou and he does some stupid shit and we throw up a prayer...

Nice play, coach.

The Bucks should have played offense against that unit, they would have had two easy post matchups on Jodie and Jrue.

At least Collins has that one timeout left to advance the ball and get Lou a desperation shot at the win after MIL takes the lead on this possession.

If MIL leaves any time on the clock, that is.

OMG! What the F was that play?!! lol

76ers begging to lose. just begging.

Court_visioN on Jan 14 at 21:21

WOWWWOWOWOWOWOWWW. talk about a horrible possession

That Iguodala guy blows.

Doug Collins is a good coach who thinks Lou Williams is his closer

And who seals the win - the guy everyone hates

lets give andre iguodala 17,442 win shares

Terrible coaching by Skiles. The one guy you don't go at is Iguodala.

Who else thought that Boykins three was good?

Me. As soon as I saw him touch the ball I figured it was good.

Since he had a good look i assumed it was going in or that the rebound would end up in boguts hand (folks seemed to forget to grab it)

Rich reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 21:27

It was just hanging there on the floor for a minute, not a lot of urgency for a 1 point game and then Turner picked it up.

Rich reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:28

Nevermind, Brand pulled it in.

MAN'S BOARD

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 21:32

I'm surprised Boykins didn't get another O board and a put back slam.

Xavier reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:25

me. thought it was in.

CSN Postgame INterview, Lou instead of Iguodala - Douches

THANKS AI9!!!!!!! We won!!

eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:24

Phew, thank you. but what a fraud of a victory. damn, that was pure luck to bag that one.

There's some discontent somewhere amongst this roster. Where, I don't know.

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:30

I don't think Hawes is very well-liked. From what I read, he seems like a selfish prick. And Jrue must be pissed at the whole team, just on principle.

Let's not forget that he's a very vocal republican as well - that probably doesn't go over well with a lot of NBA players

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 21:40

Yeah. I always want to point that out, but I hold back. Don't want to offend people. But I think he throws it in people's faces. He's got to realize that the views he has are not favorable to blacks (or Asians, or Hispanics, or Europeans....)

I have no problem pointing things out that could cause issues. Things I've read about hawes and his interests strike me constantly as right wing red neck of the todd rundgren variety.

Course it could just that I hate Spencer Hawes as a basketball player and hope he suffers a season ending injury

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 15 at 9:59

I think you mean Ted Nugent. Is Todd a right-winger, too? (Isn't he from Phila?)

Absolutely, you are correct, my bad

Court_visioN on Jan 14 at 21:24

And Lou is the bud light player of the game. of course.

he's got the most points so. Geez. Who's voting for these stuff?

Great play by Iggy, quite a rollercoaster game

so....way to go Lou, DAMMIT LOU, and AI saves the game, just another day in the life of the 76ers!

Igudoala is your player of the game. I would've actually given it to Lou (not his fault he's in that role, and he played it well tonight), but the defensive play to win the game + a sick line across the board for AI9.

Odds that no one asks Doug Collins about the Turner Hawes thing?

Charlie H on Jan 14 at 21:26

what a fucking relief. another bad win. should have beaten these journeymen by 20.

questions: Is Brand hurt? Is Lou delusional? Does Collins owe Nocioni money?

Great play by andre, quite a rollercoaster game.... didn't comment in game thread, watching with other people.. was very weird how much trouble Jrue was having with Boykins, really feel they could have exposed that matchup better than Jrue trying to dribble around that quick-handed little athletic freak

johnrosz on Jan 14 at 21:29

only makes sense for that ball to somehow find its way out to the 3 point line for a wide open look after an incredible defensive play.

Totally expected that to go in.

Collins pulled Iguodala after the foul on Boykins and then was 'coaching' him on the bench. I didn't like that he never brought him back in either.

Sorry - meant Speights - my bad

Charlie H on Jan 14 at 21:35

podcast tonight?

The worst part of playing Lou down the stretch was the spot that put Jrue in, having to guard Salmons in the post with foul trouble.

Well at least Turner is a defensive specialist at the end of the game.

7 minutes for ET. Excuse my French, but that's bullshit. Nocioni- 15, Jodie- 15, Lou- 29.

Jason reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 21:39

It's like Doug Collins doesn't want ET to get into a groove. Tom posted something about how this could be his 3rd double digit game in a row, and he only gives ET 10 minutes. Also, if there was ever a game to go with Jrue/ET/AI, this was it.

Rich reply to Jason on Jan 14 at 21:48

His only two shots are a beautiful spinning turnaround jumper, and a nice drive where he draws two free throws. Yes, he turned the ball over twice, once clearly telegraphing a play set up for Lou. He got hooked for that, which is fine. But teach him and put him back in, don't pull him for good. He plays pretty good D too, but that doesn't matter.

Speights should have played way more than 9 minutes tonight. He played very well and defended, but that doesn't matter because he bit on a pump fake. Brand played 39 minutes and simply played poor D. He was the main culprit for Gooden's outburst. That gets away from the simple point though: His knees can't play 39 minutes!

Come on man - look at all those people who don't bite on Lou Williams pump fake, so obviously you shouldn't be falling for pump fakes from earl boykins :)

Charlie H reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 22:15

Why the talk about Brand's knees? Did I miss something?

Charlie H reply to Jason on Jan 14 at 21:49

How much worse would it be for ET to play 20 - 25 minutes and mess up a few times? Nocioni and Lou mess up just as much, if not more. And their defense is terrible. If I'm the coach, Turner is back in the starting lineup and playing half the 1st quarter and most of the 4th. (Why is Meeks still starting?)

I think Doug is worried about Evans psyche

Rich reply to Charlie H on Jan 14 at 21:56

I can't name one thing Nocioni does well on the basketball court. So naturally he plays twice as much our #2 pick who is starting to play well (and really was playing well tonight outside of some rookie mistakes: They are rookies Doug, they are going to screw up from time to time). He also does this while hurt.

I hated this win, gotta say. I'm sick of the way he's coaching.

Jason reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 22:00

I won't be upset if he bows out next year. Is coach continuity really necessary for Jrue/ET if said coach isn't putting them in situations to succeed?

Well they finally found a team that closed worse then they did. But I guess they've been on the other end of these ugly games, so you take it.

Turner and Jrue combining for only 7 shots. Jrue with the poor game I semi-expected. Not sure how much of it has to do with the team re-acclimating to new rotations with Iguodala back. But Collins is sort of clueless as to what to due with the guad minutes.

Sometime soon he will have to decide who gives up the minutes. because you can't play 6 guys between 9-24 minutes and expect to have any kind of rhythm. Noccioni, Young or Turner will have to DNP, and we all hope its Nocioni...

I hope it's Nocioni AND young

Speights, Turner, Young

There's your 8 man rotation :)

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 21:54

Young's got to play. He's being jerked around again like last year. He's never in for more than 4 minutes at a time, is he?

I have no idea how long Youngs run usually are - I'll look it up this weekend and get back to you.

To me Young is the forward version of Lou - all he does is score

He's part of the 8 man rotation i don't mind seeing.

Turner is your guard, Young is your forward, Speights is your big man.

Unless of course Collins wants to realize Hawes SUCKS and put his ass on the bench

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 22:00

Thanks. But Young's rebounding is improved this year, a little.... But yeah, there's not a lot of court awareness there.

I know why he's not starting Speights - he wants him to earn it, and I think he's starting to get it. But why doesn't Hawes have to earn it? It's not like he's Bill Russell on the defensive end.

Hawes to me is no better than Speights defensively - they both suck - but Speights is better offensively than Hawes - and doesn't fall over in a weak breeze

Collins rep with younger players wasn't good coming into this job - but I don't know if that's fact or fiction. Derek once did some very good research into Larry Brown and rookies but I haven't seen anyone do that for Collins to see if his anti youth rep is accurate

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 22:11

That's what I always hear. But Hawes is young. He's the same age as Speights, I think. '07 draft, freshman. Speights was a soph in the '08 draft.

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 22:02

Who starts at the 2, Meeks? Or Lou?

Meeks

Yes - I was lou out of the rotation and never ever to play again

Charlie H reply to GoSixers on Jan 14 at 22:08

That's harsh. But I understand. I do not get it. Doug is gonna lose Jrue if he's not careful - he's not stupid that kid.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Jan 14 at 21:53

The guard minutes and rotations are it to some degree, but there's seemed to be some "other" crap tonight, not seen usually. Can't say for sure that's stemming from Doug, but if it isn't it's not good either. Hope he squelches it and it never leaks out, cause i'm all for a tight lockerroom. That's none of the media and the fan's business.

Charlie H reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 14 at 21:54

right on

Thumbs up for the defense/offense subs though. Funny it's taken 39 games for our coach to decide that's a good idea. Well I won't hate on him too much, at least he didn't say something stupid like "our best players are our best defenders".

To me, they set up Turner for a three on that play. He knows that's not really his game right now, so he wanted to attack. He kind of forced it and went the wrong way. Good thought, poor execution, but a nice play by the guy who was guarding him to knock it away. Still not the end of the world, 6 seconds left on the clock.

His teammates wanted him to shoot it, that's a good thing. He was probably pissed they put in Nocioni, Meeks and Lou for him. I would have been too. Naturally he got the hook for it.

I'll leave with one positive- That last game was proven as just rust for Iguodala. He looked much better physically tonight.

tk76 reply to Rich on Jan 14 at 22:18

I really want to see Iguodala, Jrue and Turner all have a few goiod games together. And all get good minutes.

What are the chances we see that this year?

Depends

What are the chances that Dougs 'vertigo' forces him to retire?

Tom Moore on Jan 14 at 22:15

Video: Williams after hitting the winning 3-pointer to beat Bucks, give Sixers Saturday off:

Are there any comments regarding the player conflict during the game?

Tom Moore on Jan 14 at 22:37

Video: Brand after scoring 15 points against Bucks, marking first time this season Sixers have won by fewer than five: