On the Right Side, Again

Tom Moore on Jan 17 at 20:47

Williams is averaging 36 points per 48 minutes in the last six games.

and how many rebounds and how many assists

I'm tired of seeing lines from lou where the assists/rebounds total is less than 4

Lou Williams - top 20 usage rate - WOO HOO

Tom Moore on Jan 17 at 20:47

Hawes on what he told Turner with 7 minutes left in fourth quarter Friday: "It’s something you’ve got to get used to, especially for a guy like him who’s so creative and so talented. Being able to take a good shot and turn it into a great shot is something you learn as a young player. If you get the shot and you’re ready, shoot it."

First time I ever saw a 6 point play.

Impressive, huh?

Spencer flaws on Jan 17 at 22:10

cousins with an inefficient 20 and 8 against the hawks.

That's two bad games for Jrue in a row. Iguodala wasn't holding anyone back either, he scored his points with about as little time with the ball in his hands as possible.

Pretty much all of his shots looked forced to me today. Like, "well, I can get one up so I better. Might not get another chance."

Overall, he's off the ball way too much for my liking.

Hey - Doug Collins is a great coach - he knows what he's doing

I had mixed feelings about this game, but I wasn't as down on the team and the coach as most of you seemed to be. This was an unlikely win, as the Sixers survived dry spells in both the 4th quarter and OT to pull it out. They were lucky Charlotte was limited, with only two of their players playing well, but the Sixers themselves had only two players playing well by the end.

Some thoughts about the game:
* Collins had a poor substitution sequence in the 4th, but I thought his subs in the 3rd saved the game. Last year, it would have been a 20-point deficit by the end of the quarter. Bringing Lou and Speights in for Meeks and Hawes paid immediate dividend (of course, it's on Collins for continuing to start the latter two).
* I like that Collins has rested Iguodala for brief periods in the middle of quarters, because it gives Iguodala a chance to slow down and process the game. It hurt the team in the 4th, though, because Charlotte scored 5 points in the blink of an eye when Iguodala sat. Iguodala, by the way, is now 6th in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio, a remarkable number for someone who isn't a point guard.
* For the Iguodala critics who say he never comes through in the clutch, mark down the two plays in this game: drive and two important foul shots in the 4th, jumper in OT.
* I was left wondering if Meeks was trying to break the record for most lay-ups without hitting the rim.
* I also wondered whether Turner's sequence vs. Diaw set the record for worst-looking-play-while-having-consecutive-shots-blocked, but then Dominic McGuire broke that record vs. Brand just a few minutes later.
* Some of Hawes' plays were just indescribably bad. The one where he found himself under the rim and threw it into a sea of Bobcats left me speechless, mouth agape.
* The Sixers are worst in the league in "free throw defense" -- teams hit over 79% against them. It's easy to see why when people like Kwame Brown (56% this year) go 5-5. It's kind of like how no one ever misses field goals vs. the Eagles.
* Regarding the Lou/Jrue sub pattern, I wouldn't read into it too much beyond this game. Lou was playing extremely well, Augustin was shooting poorly all game (so Lou's defense wasn't hurting the team), and the team needed a bigger off guard to prevent Jackson from posting up (Turner). Jrue was hot and cold with his defense throughout the game, but I thought he played excellent defense for the stretch in the 3rd when the team caught up.
* Turner made one great move in the lane to free himself up for a 10-footer, but it was too bad he missed the shot. I liked his defense for the most part (and he did it without fouling), and his rebounding was important. His contribution to the game was Iguodala-like, and I've always thought it's not a bad thing to have more players like Iguodala.
* I liked Speights' play (much more than Hawes' for sure), but it was disturbing that he couldn't finish that one time he got the ball close to the basket. I wonder if his knee still isn't 100%, because he would have dunked that in his rookie season.
* Thad was off all game, and I thought he rushed some of his shots. It reminded me of how he played last year. Hopefully he'll get back to the smooth play we've seen most of the year.

I'll be interested to see if the long hoped-for personnel changes come about soon. I'd love to see an Iguodala-Brand-Speights-Holiday-Turner starting lineup vs. Orlando.

Jason reply to Statman on Jan 17 at 22:58

If this is the play where Hawes attempted to back down Gerald Wallace, where wallace showed how incredibly weak Hawes really is, and ended up behind the back board with 2 seconds on shot clock left resulting in him throwing it out to the 3 point line, then I too noticed how bad this was. Hawes looked very weak out there, got pushed around like a ragdoll.

"Sixers survived dry spells in both the 4th quarter and OT to pull it out"

Can we stop calling it dry spells, and correctly call it horribly ran offense? Happens in every game, come fourth quarter our team shuts down.

Hawes on what he told Turner Friday: "It’s something you’ve got to get used to, especially for a guy like him who’s so creative and so talented. Being able to take a good shot and turn it into a great shot is something you learn as a young player. If you get the shot and you’re ready, shoot it."

One thing that is most depressing about the sixers is their consistency (or lack thereof)

It is clear from watching this LaL/OKC game, that Phil has no interest in regular season games. He's had luke walton defending durant. He doesn't call a time out as he watches his team give up a 15 point lead.

Also, I think Luke Walton is the only player i can honestly say that Hawes is better than.

Jason reply to Jason on Jan 18 at 1:20

Final thoughts from this game. Bulls are much better than the thunder. OKC is still far from being a contender.

I know the Walton on Durant mismatch won't happen when barnse comes back, but I think the Lakers really miss Jordan Farmar, Russell Westbrook vs Steve blake (as well as fisher) is a major mismatch. Blake simply cannot handle Westbrook physically and if OKC are to ever beat the lakers in a playoff series i think it would come off the back of Westbrook and not Durant.

Just wanted to mention that, while I was made fun of earlier in the season for saying that the Clippers were an exemplar of rebuilding, they're now 7-3 in their last 10, beat the Heat and Lakers, and got 47 and 14 from Griffin tonight. My new favorite rookie, Ed Davis, had 11 and 12 with 2 blocks on 5-8 shooting. And Monroe had 16 and 9 tonight against Dallas - on the month, he's averaging 12 and 9, very efficiently.

Well, when you make bold statements like, "every rookie except the one the Sixers got is my total favorite" you're probably going to be able to point some crap out every night, no?

Did you happen to see how the Kings game ended?

The Clippers have been under .500 in 17 of the past 18 years. They've had 9 coaches over that span. They've had 13 top 10 picks, 7 of them top 5. They've had 4 top 3 picks. It's about time they lucked into a "can't miss #1 prospect".

They get no props from me for drafting Blake Griffin. He was the result of nearly 2 decades of ineptitude, a decision so obvious even they couldn't screw it up.

I don't care what Greg Monroe did over an 8 game stretch on a team play .366 ball. It doesn't change my long term evaluation of him. Nor do I care what Ed Davis did over a 2 game stretch, on a team that has lost 11 of its last 14.

Anybody changing their opinion substantially, good or bad, is making a mistake. Anybody trying to prove they were right or wrong less than half a season into a rookie season is wasting their time.

Rich reply to Tray on Jan 18 at 3:38

As well as they've been playing, aren't you the one who discredited five or six game win streaks when the Sixers had them? They really are the same thing as winning 7 out of 10.

Rich reply to Tray on Jan 18 at 3:38

While eating my breakfast this morning, the last play and the overtime was on replay on league pass this morning.

I must say, if I didn't know they won the game, you wouldn't get the feeling they were going to. Jacksons clean look at the end of regulation and the awful rebounding and offensive sets in overtime. The Bobcats just weren't hitting much.

Turner was doing his best on Diaw from what I saw but just couldn't handle him for some reason