We Meet Again

Tyrus Thomas was not available monday - he's available today - if Silas is a good coach - he'll get heavy minutes against the sixers 'bigs' - and score

Can he really do more damage than Kwame and Diaw did on Monday?

He can do more damage than Kwame did - yes - much more athletic a big man - and diaw can probably do the same - those freakish arms - can anyone on the sixers stop him?

I'll be shocked if he does better than 15/16 or a triple double. I'm not saying he's better than Kwame or Diaw, just that those guys did a ton of damage in the last game. I doubt their front court could really do more tonight.

ON the offensive end he could get 20 easy if Silas played him, but while he plays him more - silas seems to be following the brown playbook and limiting him - i have no idea why

He doesn't shoot the 3.

Well on an off-topic note, some Eric Gordon factoids:

here is a list of players who have posted seasons with a TS% above 58, a usage rate above 25% and an assist percentage above 20 in the past three years.

* Manu Ginobili (all three years)
* LeBron James (twice)
* Chris Paul (once)
* Deron Williams (once)
* Eric Gordon (this year)

That's it. Kevin Durant, arguably the best "pure scorer" in basketball, hasn't ever pulled it off. Kobe Bryant only did it once, and that was back in 2006/07. Dwyane Wade, arguably the best or second-best scoring guard of this era (along with Kobe), also hasn't ever done it...

Still not convinced? Here's another stat for you. This season, Gordon has been incredibly consistent with his scoring output. He's played in 39 games this season, and has scored at least 20 points in 82 percent of those games this season... [goes on to say that barely any non-Kobe/LeBron players are that consistent].

What exactly are you trying to convince people of that ERic Gordon has done in half a season compared to what other people did in a full season?

Yep, he's unstoppable against everyone but the Sixers.

who are you arguing with, by the way?

johnrosz on Jan 20 at 15:08

since we're talking about the Clippers on here again...

I think Sportscenter moving to LA is the best thing that ever happened to LAC...They've been getting a ton of coverage, I know Blake Griffin is the next big "it" player, but I doubt it'd be at the magnitude it's at right now if SC was still solely in Connecticut

It would be at this magnitude very much so - Griffin is the newest 'human highlight reel'

The clippers are playing better which helps too - for instance - i think the lakers/clippers game should have been on ABC on Sunday - they need to stop being afraid of the NFL playoffs - especially since it's the LA market and they're team less :)

There were some real positives last night- particularly Jrue and Iguodala offensively in the 4th quarter. Also last night was the first game I can think of where Jrue, Turner and Iguodala all had strong offensive games (albeit not all 3 on the floor together at the same time.)

So hopefully something to build on.

On the negative ledger- I hope that Battie's crafty showing last night does not lead to Speights return to mop up duty.

I think Batties return, period, sends Speights back to mop up duty - Battie was recovering from an issue right?

Just thinking about Thorn's limited options...

What type of team could they become if the kept Brand and Iguodala but traded away the remainder of the roster (Jrue, Turner, Lou, Thad, Kapono, etc) for vets with contracts of 3 years or less. Bringing back players like Rip, Camby, Nene or Kaman in exchange for youth.

Think of it as a poor man's Celtics strategy. And then in 3 years you flip you old expirings for youth and picks.

Overall, probably a stupid idea... but I'm curious how good of a team they could build quickly. Especially with Brand finally playing well this year.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 17:03

For reference, they have:
13.5M in expirings
7M is RFA and team option(Thad and Hawes and Meeks)
10M in rookie scale players (Jrue, Speights, Brackins, Turner)
12.5M in multi-year vets (Lou and Noce)
-----------------------------------------------------
So about 43M to move to spend on vets to win now alongside Brand and Iguodala.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 17:08

Jameer
Reddick
Iguodala
Brand
Camby
-------
That adds only about 21M. That leaves another 22M to fill out a strong roster.

Maybe add in Kaman and Hinrich for about 20M

So that would be a cap neutral move. How much success could Collins get from that roster fro a 2-3 year run before starting from scratch? I actually like that team (Although I'd keep Jrue over jameer if possible.)

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 17:15

So let me see if I can make the deals. I'll keep Jrue and leave out Jameer:

JJ Reddick for Young and Songalia
Kaman for Turner and Kapono
Hinrich for Brackins, Speights, Meeks and Lou
Camby + Oberto for Battie, Hawes, Nocioni and an unrestricted #1 this year

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 17:18

So that leaves:

Jrue
Hinrich
Iguodala
Brand
Kaman

Bench rotation:
Camby (to keep him healthy)
JJ Reddick
Oberto

They would have to come up with some minimum filler.

Put down the crack pipe boss

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 17:24

I'll spare you the Imma Boss" retort.

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 17:28

And aside from maybe Turner- would you even miss any of those other guys?

I more want to get a sense for what type of vet team could be built around Brand and Iguodala (and keeping Jrue.) Not so much the individual deals I proposed- that was more to get a sense of whether the assets are there to get it done.

I'd miss Speights a little cause I still kind of hold out hope that he'll get his shiz together - but very little hope.

But you know me - if they keep jrue and turner and blow it all up - i'd be in favor of it :)

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 18:40

You down with O.P.P.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 18:42

By the way- not trying to be offensive (just realized what I wrote really is "Naughty by Nature.") Just quoting a sad bit of pop culture.

Don't front dude - I loved me some Naughty By Nature

I had roommates my freshman year in college that would either play 'minimum wage' by they might be giants, or straight out of compton, very loud every morning

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 18:47

Yeah, I rememeber playing some hilarious NWA too loud.

Was just listening to an interview of Dan Charnas, author of "The Big Payback, the History of Hip Hop" yesterday on Sound Opinions. You should check out the pod cast. Really interesting stuff going way back and up to the present: http://www.soundopinions.org/

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 18:52

Talks alot about Russel Simmons (and his brother Run), Rubin and comparing into to what happened with the West Cost. Mostly about the business and how the business side of things over the years. And how initially Disco labels messed up Rap and then the Major labels screwed things up in the 90's.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 17:23

Again, I'm not saying the Sixers should make these moves. Just trying to see what the team could do if they moved their youth and exprings for vest that are on the market.

Assuming decent health and maybe even decent cheap filler in those trades- is that a team that can get into the second round under Collins in the next 2 years?

All of those guys come of the books in 2-3 years. So you would be left with Jrue in his prime, a ton of expirngs and a clean slate. maybe you could use that to make a run for Howard + another 2-3 high profile role player?

I think for sure at least one of those deals (Magic) wouldn't get done - Redick is valuable to them - not a spare part - and they are all about winning now and their key misisng piece is back up center

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 17:29

OK, forget Reddick and go after Rip Hamilton.

Redick is also a BYC so a straight up deal for him is impossible (I tried :)

You know my thinking - of course i'd try to keep jrue at leat - but that's where my thinking about taking on rip came from

But it's all contingent on comcast accepting luxury tax payments isn't it?

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Jan 20 at 17:40

I think if it made a 2nd round playoff team they would consider it. It would make their brand much more viable and be only a short term investment to get the fans back.

Do you really think they could bring in better pieces than what they already have? I seriousl doubt it.

tk76 reply to KellyDad on Jan 20 at 18:00

Actually yes. I think 30 year old vets can execute better than guys like Young, Lou etc. Also, you can always get good value when trading away young guys on rookie deals + expirings for vets on bad teams with mult contract years.

I don't think you can assemble a contender. But I do think the right blend of vets could get an overachieving squad that approaches 50 wins. Something like a better version of what LB pulled off with the Bobcats last year. Maybe good enough the get you into the second round if you can draw a 4-5 match-up.

While the current youth dominated roster will tend toward losing more than they should because of youthful inconsistency and mistakes.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Jan 20 at 18:01

So a team that on any given night might be run off the floor by the current athletic Sixers. But who are built to grind out a 7 game playoff series.

Of course you could - you bring in better talent with bad contracts

Rip Hamilton for Kapono and Nocioni - Rip Hamilton is more talent than Kapono and NOcioni combined - he just has a bad contract

Kaman is unwanted in clipper land - if you trade him for shorter deals - you can get him too

THey aren't untalented - they just don't have great deals and or are unwanted on their teams - if comcast committed to paying the luxury tax to assmeble the 'best talent they could' until iguodalas contract expired - they could get it - they might not be good enough to win a title but they'd be good enough to get the 5 seed in the east probably and at least be competetive in the first round

Holiday
Hamilton
Iguodala
Brand
Kaman

That's a better starting five talent wise than what the sixers have right now - just crappy ass contracts