Game 51 Thread: PHI @ ATL

The line on this game just jumped downward across all books. This must mean that someone on the hawks isn't playing (Horford??)

Court_visioN on Feb 8 at 17:42

per kate fagan, al horford isn't playing.

That's big, although Pachulia will probably have Hawes in tears within the first five minutes.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 17:50

That's awesome. Did he actually get KG to punch him in that series? I can't remember.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 18:02

I think so. I actually think the funniest part of the video is the, um, strange gesturing of the sideline reporter at 0:06-0:11. I guess she was excited about the Hawks' destiny.

yeah that was pretty nice - i tweeted @ kate fagan and she responded immediately.

Collins might start ahead of ZaZa. Can Speights finally get some damn minutes this game??? Come on Doug!!

That's huge if Horford isn't playing.

I heard this one on TBJ or Simmons podcast last week, really hard question to me: Horford or Noah?

dwhite reply to Rich on Feb 8 at 18:28

I'd take Horford because he seems to have more natural offensive talent, and he's not as weird to look at as Noah :) But Noah was having himself a year before he got hurt and he's got more size, that's a tough call. The fact that Horford essentially plays out of position as a C also speaks of how good he is.

Rich reply to dwhite on Feb 8 at 18:33

I would agree with that, but with all of Noah's intangibles it's pretty tough.

deepsixersuede reply to Rich on Feb 8 at 18:42

I thought we got the best Florida big? Is he even the best offensively of the 3?

Sadly Speights is behind Horford on that end as well, by a pretty good margin.

I'm hoping we see some good play from Jrue tonight. The team is so much more fun to watch when he's playing well, isn't it? Just one good play from Jrue is worth more than a million Lou Williams pump fakes.

deepsixersuede reply to dwhite on Feb 8 at 18:45

I expect a lot of Brand/ Thad tonight with Horford out, 30 minutes at least.

I actually think Collins wants to get Jrue's head screwed on straight, and this matchup is a pretty good opportunity, especially when Bibby is covering him. Just avoid Josh Smith on your drives, if you can.

Any1 else not have it live yet on NBA BB?

Tray reply to Jason on Feb 8 at 19:10

Yeah, me neither.

Alright, couple minutes to the tip. Been looking forward to this all day, hopefully it won't be a letdown.

Aaaaaand.....(Zaza is starting)....Hawes loses the tip.

We're off.

Great D by AI9 on the first play, forces Johnson into a turnover.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:13

Hope Lou is in control of himself tonight, and not trying to show off for the "homies". Think last time down there he was gunning or something, well at least more than usual.

Gotta play it up for the documentary.

Yeah, I hate it when these young thuggish basketball players try to show off for their "homies." AKA, friends, family and neighbors.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:14

Damn Jrue, what a block. He got the eff up that time.

Jrue stuffs zaza, hilarious.

Good defense so far, couple turnovers, three long twos by Josh Smith and that Jrue rejection.

Forgot the Bibby three, though. Jrue lost him, but he missed it.

Pure jumper by Jrue. Hopefully a good sign.

Joe Johnson can't back Iguodala down. no one tell Atlanta that, though.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:22

Come on Dre! Trying to show off and blows the break away jam. ugh

That's honestly the first time I've ever seen Iguodala miss one of those. Four-point swing.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:23

4 point swing and he dinged his hand.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:24

Anothe steal by Dre and a beauty of a behind the back dribble for a finger-roll.

Sick D.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:26

WHew, what a bounce pass by Dre to Thad for the lay in.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:26

Good job Jrue, being aggressive, going hard to the rim for the second time and converting.

Wow, the Hawks just look dead. Push this lead as much as possible before they wake up.

Oh baby, what a start!

Decent start for Brand, huh? 4/4 11 points.

Brand is unconscious. Feed the beast!

Come on, Thad. That's three right in your hands you've dropped already.

that has to be the third ball thad has let slide through his hands

Yup.

clearly you are the quicker typer... you win again

Brand was not going to allow that dunk. Good to see.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:34

Picking them up full court? Nice. And a turnover

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:35

Wow, what a quarter. Like to see three more of that. Good energy and effort from everyone.

Wow, should've been 20 if not for that lucky bounce.

PHI 33, ATL 15 after one.

Second best quarter of basketball they've played this season?

Extended time for Thad at the five here. AI9 playing the four.

Another lost ball by Thad.

Great D. Thad on the blocks especially. Turner closed in the corner. More of that, please.

I almost feel bad for the Hawks

almost

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:41

Love this hard pushing by Dre after grabbing the board, just wish they would have employed that vs the Knicks Sunday and more on Friday too.

Iguodala is a man possessed. He's pushing the ball harder than I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:42

Ugh, that looked like Lou beat him to the spot for the charge. Don't agree with that call.

Make your free throws please.

bebopdeluxe on Feb 8 at 19:43

I hate when I miss the first third of the game and see them kicking ass. Usually - for me - means that it's only downhill from here.

Fuck that call. Good D, Lou. That was awful.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:43

Sure doesn't look like that tendinitis in the achilles is bothering Iguodala anymore. He's relentless on both ends.

Fucking stupid shot, Lou.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 19:47

Yep, no one to rebound, he should have kept attacking deeper.

So is Joe Johnson worth about $45M more than Iguodala?

dude - 20 points per game

Clinic for Iguodala, minus the missed dunk :)

Absolute clinic.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:48

Doug is so on point with this making Iguodala more of a 'point forward'. It's kind of his best role.

Agreed. He's like amazing at it. And especially timely since Jrue has been fairly mediocre for a few weeks now.

eddies' heady's reply to stoned81 on Feb 8 at 19:53

But...but...it's hindering Jrue's development ;)

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:49

Early offense, works everytime with this group of guys Doug. More, more, more.

Holy shit.

Ah, Joe Johnson scored :(

btw, Iguodala is playing point-power-forward whenever he's running plays right now. That's kind of rare, I guess Odom does it in LA.

The Hawks have zero offensive boards, 8 boards total.

Anyone else feel like we should be up more?

I know everyone on this board hates Lou but me, but my god he has a great mid range fade away.

His mid-range jumper is very good, wish he'd spend more time coming off screens for the catch and shoot.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:54

Jrue on fire w/ another jumper.

Dominique: "Oh my, oh my...".....lol

Philly in NYC on Feb 8 at 19:57

anyone have a link for watching online?

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 19:58

If Coach would have left Andre in these last 3 minutes he may have had a triple double by halftime.

I'd really, really like this to be a complete laugher so they can sit Iguodala and Brand for most of the fourth and rest them up for tomorrow night.

Collins is a complete stud w/ a day to prepare for a team, btw.

Um, They sucked sunday - they had a day to prepare

eddies' heady's reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 20:02

I'd say the refs sucked and EB can't guard Amare, not Doug.

I'm not counting sunday.

Oh I forgot we were allowed to do that

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:00

We're playing the hell out of the passing lanes.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:01

Damn Lou is in the zone. ha

Do you think they'll stop ringing those cow bells once they're down 30?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:03

Better than those horns in MIL last year.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:03

The fans must like the echo they produce with how empty that place is.

Wow. Just a first-class ass kicking so far.

PHI 65, ATL 33 Awesome, awesome half.

ok so theoretically if we score 20 points in the 2nd half, we should win. what a half. WHAT...a half.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:05

Yes, Thad w/ the o-boars off a Lou miss from 3 to close it out. Up 32? 32? Please no 2nd half shenanigans ala Memphis game.

I really really really hate the Louis end-of-quarter isolation. Thank you Thad for being aware of the 95% chance the ball was not going into the hoop.

eddies' heady's reply to stoned81 on Feb 8 at 20:11

Ha, I don't know about that 95% tonight though, up until that point he was 6 for 7, I think.

Haha I'm just talking about the end-of-quarter iso heaves. I think the first-quarter make was the first one Lou made since December. I swear he's under 10% on end-of-quarter isolation heaves.

bebopdeluxe on Feb 8 at 20:05

Just...wow.

It's all downhill from here folks. We should just stop watching for rest of the year.

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:08

We scored the same amount in the 1st quarter as they scored in 1st half. What a coming out and jumping on em, huh?

65 points on 48 possessions.

I'm keeping track of who's initiating tonight, so far:

Lou: 11
Jrue: 9
Iguodala: 7
Turner: 3

40 points on 30 half-court plays in the first half as well.

Lou with 13, Jrue with 12, Brand with 12. Who do you think finishes the game as the leading scorer?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:18

Lou.

That's my guess, too. He's going to have the ball and he wants to put on a show for his friends/family.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:24

My theory was he's set them up by making all his jumpers, so switch it up and drive to the hole now.

I really, really don't want to see a team that's content with themselves coming out in the second half. They need to continue to push, they need to continue to pressure. No letdown at all, especially right in the beginning of this quarter, don't give Atlanta life they don't deserve.

deepsixersuede on Feb 8 at 20:21

Has Meeks found a consistant level recently? No more ups and downs maybe.

Yeah it seems like he's fitting in better since the point forward switch

If I'm a Hawks fan.. I see spencer make that hook and instantly turn the tv off

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:23

Spencer, can you jump to block Marvin Williams' shot?

Gotta love Iguodala. It just doesn't matter with him... he can be the #1 option or the #5 option and the guy just produces. His season is incredible thusfar as a 15 PPG scorer.

Forgot to post this, but how the hell does he keep getting hired? No mentions of pickpockets though.

Tray reply to Rich on Feb 8 at 20:28

That was an incredible example of the illiterate, fraudulent insanity that is Stephen A. Smith. He's a New Yorker now?

that ball was touched by ATL, but don't pass the ball to Hawes, Jrue.

Nice shot, Hawes.

What happened to League Pass Broadband?

Is it down?

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:29

I think it was until a minute ago.

can you believe zaza pachulia is only 26? If he was available on the cheap I think he would make a great bench big

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:30

What? How the heck did Dre make that pass out to Jrue? Jrue for 3! THink it was late though after the buzzer?

Yeah, I think that's coming off the board.

4 fouls on Joe Johnson. He's been completely shut down by Iguodala. I mean, embarrassingly so.

nice jrue keep attacking

Put Joe Johnson on Iguodala's list, in a big way.

3/8 from the floor, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 turnovers, 4 fouls, and I know for a fact Iguodala blocked one of his shots, I think someone else blocked another. 6 points for Johnson, so far.

Yep, that three didn't count for Jrue. Damn.

Heh, EB. Candy from a baby.

Why did they switch to a zone? Just to mix it up? To try it out?

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:38

WOW! What an explosion to the rim by Andre w/ Smith on him! Whoa...

eddies' heady's on Feb 8 at 20:40

Boy, Thad sure can let loose a brick right often.

If Collins just wanted to see how the zone looked, I think he can scrap it.

Turner handling the ball more than we've seen in this run. Might come to an end with that turnover.

LeBron has 26 at the half, on 11-12 shooting.

Ugh, and they're losing to the friggin' Pacers.

How's Griffin doing with Dwight on him?

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 21:01

It's blacked out on League Pass, but Griffin has only 10 on 12 shots. Of course, maybe Howard's matched up with Jordan - but I doubt it.

It's on NBA TV if you have it

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:20

Yes, I figured that that was why it was blocked on League Pass. Unusually good game for Baron Davis, 25, 8 and 8 so far. And he's actually shooting the ball well.

And the clippers are down 11 (and have only 80 points) with 3:37 to play in the game :)

Scapegoat on Feb 8 at 20:47

I just hate it if they try to dunk it instead of just put it in with a layup. Why do this thad? That's two easy points going away.
Just bring it home now. please.

PHI 88, ATL 58

Should be extended garbage time in the fourth. Did Brackins dress for this one?

Btw, did anyone else hear EB yell at Turner? Turner grabbed a d-board on a missed free throw, Brand yelled "That's mine!". Not sure if he was kidding around.

CB reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 20:52

Turner was laughing, so I assume it's a joke.

Noc in before Speights.

Nocioni alert! The rumors of his demise were slightly exaggerated.

But Speights has obviously beaten up Collins dog AND grandchildren

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:03

He just doesn't like the Speights/Josh Powell match-up. That's a bad matchup for Mareese.

Protecting his psyche?

Seriously - Someone with access should ask Collins about Speights - i mean he's behind songaila?

Noc fouls the jump shooter. They've been missing that toughness, not to mention the veteranness.

SONGALIA! Before Speights.

Songaila!!! (before Speights as well).

Iguodala got screwed out of a triple double tonight.

Would you rather he have the triple double or sit the fourth?

I think Speights must have anally raped Collins himself

Sit the fourth, definitely. I wasn't saying Collins screwed him out of it, circumstance did, but I'd prefer it this way.

Do we really need to watch the Lou iso show for another 8 minutes? I mean, let Turner run some fucking plays. I've seen this show before.

Can't let the Hawks get back in it

I'm going to make the early POTG call. It's Iguodala. 11/7/8/1/1, plus making Joe Johnson look like Evan Turner looked in Summer League.

But lou has all those points

I'd like to see them win by 45 so Eddy's can say this doesn't count, but the Chicago loss does :)

CB reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 21:03

No Horford, win doesn't count already.

DUH!

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 21:12

I've never said that. Just said it was an outlier like the two Phoenix games Evan had.

Is that Speights?

Songaila literally turned his back on the shooter. That's awesome.

Anyone remember when Dei said he was going to be a great addition in the offseason?

You can't trust Dei - she's friggin employed by the sixers ownership :)

6 boards has to be a career high for Meeks, no?

Sigh, didn't get home until 6 left in the third, not as much fun

PS - I hate powerpoint

The only thing left is to make sure the game ends with a lead of 30 or more

Someone look it up before Tom does, when was the Sixers last road win of 30+ points? I can't remember one.

I think this is it.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 21:30

Wow, we took 6 threes and Iverson took all six.

If you got league pass - heat down by 11 at home to the pacers - under 2 in the 3rd

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:24

And the (for me) nostalgic ACC McRoberts-Hansbrough duo is 11-11 from the field.

PHI 117, ATL 83 Final.

And no, that's not a typo. Complete demolition of the #4 seed in the East, on the road, no less.

This should even out that Chicago loss a bit in the point differential column.

Hey the Sixers maybe are not that bad on the road huh?

Btw with this win i think the Sixers have outscored the opponents by a complete point per game.

This game means as much (and as little) to the sixers being good/bad on the road as losing by 45 at chicago

ESPN2 has 2 hours of NBA coverage (until 11 PM eastern) - I expect the sixers game to be soundly ignored

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:25

I think we'll get 2 minutes of coverage.

Sixers roll over the Hawks:

No idea who this guy is - but a twitter comment from Feb 2nd - it wouldn't surprise me

deepsixersuede reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:43

Turner had a very A.Miller like game tonight; who is the better p.g. when all is said and done, Turner or Wall?

I'll go with the one who's a point guard.

deepsixersuede reply to Tray on Feb 8 at 21:50

I am still not sure what Turner will be but he made some gorgeous passes tonight.

Iguodala has been making gorgeous passes his entire career, donesn't make him a point guard...it's just an added skill...I need Turner to be more confident in his shot

deepsixersuede reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 21:59

He just looks real comfortable in the middle of the floor whether he is passing or scoring; I can see our coach sitting up at night trying to figure how to make Jrue and Turner play to each others strengths; that could be part of the reason he is steering Jrue to the wing when Iggy's out there. See if Jrue can attack and turn the ball over less from there.

Rich reply to GoSixers on Feb 8 at 22:31

Zach Lowe, runs the Point Forward blog on SI. Really good writer.

I had a back-and-forth about Aldridge w/ him a couple weeks ago on Twitter. He's an LA fan, apparently, so I didn't agree with him :)

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 1:08

It's been a rough couple of weeks to be an Aldridge hater Brian. I'm usually with you on criticism of him, but he's been tremendous recently. Completely owned the Bulls last night.

I hope someone else saw Dwight Howard's post game interview tonight - he essentially guaranteed they would beat us tomorrow when the reporter brought up how well the Sixers have played against them. It was a big time insult. Doug Collins needs to show the footage to the boys.

I'd probably feel pretty confident if I saw Spencer Hawes was the next guy I was going to face. He's probably still pissed about his performance against us the last time, too.

MW reply to Brian on Feb 8 at 22:15

hopefully he knows hack-a-howard will be back in full effect. maybe a bit harder than usual if they see his quote.

Yup. I'm hoping he goes like 10/25 from the line and fouls out again. Maybe picks up a tech along the way, that'd be great. I'd love to see the Sixers get the hometown advantage from the refs, for once.

Iguodala and Turner both each just barely miss "pathetic" triple doubles. Giving them a leg up in the race for "p" POTG.

Tray reply to tk76 on Feb 9 at 0:09

LeBron barely missed a not so pathetic triple double. 41, 13, and 8.