Game 54 Thread: PHI @ MIN

Changed your end game prediction from the Q&A to the Game thread? Just being nice to Minnesota earlier?

Really looking forward to a not let down game.

yes Kevin Love is a beast, but the wolves aren't good, 9-16 at home.

Last nights win was a great win, but you have to come out strong against the weak teams even on a back to back or last night just becomes one of those games where mediocre teams sometimes beat teams they shouldn't and then lose to teams they shouldn't.

I added a couple things to the top of this post and the site. Definitely check out the highlight reel (video above) and the other half of the Q&A with TWolves Blog.

speeke reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 15:30

liked the Q & A. I actually think Rubio could be a better than average defender in the league after a year or two playing over here. He's got long arms and is pretty active even if his foot speed isn't top notch.

I think Rubio is actually going to be a very good defender. I don't know why people are so low on him. He is unique and it'll be difficult to compare him with anybody but i guess Rondo is as close as it's gonna get.

According to ESPN Rumors page, Beasley won't play tonight

Wolves starting small forward Michael Beasley has sprained his left ankle several times this season. Beasley has finally decided that it's best to miss some games and let the ankle heal, instead of rushing back to the lineup.

"I'm going to rest it until it's not sore no more," Beasley the Star Tribune. "It's one of those things, I don't want it to shorten my career. It's my feet. That's one thing you really can't mess with. It's not that serious, but I do need to rest it. I never really gave it a break. I need to take some time to strengthen it and let it heal."

Beasley has missed two games so far and could miss another two or three before he returns.

Eddy's will get a look at one of the 20 guys he wanted over Evan Turner.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 14:31

That's too bad, Beasley can be fun to watch. Now I can focus on writing my paper, I guess. Though Rose-Paul could be a pretty distracting game.

Sixers Shut Down Spurs
From Elias: The 76ers held the Spurs to .333 shooting from the field in their win on Friday night. That marked the fourth time that the Sixers have held their opponents to a field-goal percentage below 34 percent this season, the most such games for any team in the league (November 3rd vs. Indiana, November 19th vs. Milwaukee and December 12th vs. New Orleans).

If only they were consistent in their defensive effort...

Tray reply to Xsago on Feb 12 at 15:19

Of course the other three are bad offensive teams.

Joe reply to Tray on Feb 12 at 15:31

Is New Orleans bad? I'd have pegged them for averageish.

Tray reply to Joe on Feb 12 at 16:09

Well, bottom ten.

New Orleans 17th
Indiana 24th
Milwaukee 30th
San Antonio was 2nd before the Sixers game. Now they are 4th.

Tray reply to Xsago on Feb 12 at 16:27

You must be looking at points per game; NO's 20th in offensive rating. I think they were worse a while back.

I am looking at offensive rating.

Tray reply to Xsago on Feb 12 at 18:07

Well right here says that they're #20.

Anonymous reply to Tray on Feb 12 at 18:16

And here it says they're 21st

Different web sites are updated with different periodicities and there are two ways to determine possessions/pace which can lead to slightly different outcomes

17, 20, 21

None of them are good

Tray reply to Anonymous on Feb 12 at 18:25

So basically, our four phenomenal defensive showings this season have been against three bad offensive teams (two of which are really, really bad) and one really good one.

Carmelo Anthony is better than the rest of us - just ask him

Melo ''I take my hat off to myself for dealing with all this stuff that’s going on and still be able to go out and play at the high level.'' Twitter

Chris Tomasson: More Carmelo Anthony today on performing despite trade rumors: "I don't think an average person can walk in my shoes. I don't think that''

Shawn reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 17:56

hahahahahahahhhahahahahahaha

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 18:08

His last three games he's efficiently scored 50, 29, and 42 points. It is kind of impressive.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 18:11

Also, Melo did a fast for three weeks and had this to say about it:

Anthony also claims to have had an awakening during his fast.

"It was mental,'' Anthony said. "It was spiritual. It was emotional, man. And during that whole time it was a lot of prayer with myself. And just taking some time out and just getting some clarity on things with myself for my career, with my life, and it really helped me. I started seeing things a lot more clearer from every aspect of my life.''

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 18:53

Ready for a big follow-up win tonight! Sure don't want a repeat of our last trip to Minnesota. Think last year was the MLK day game and an excruciating loss in painful fashion. Can't remember all the particulars but think we had a nice lead and ended up relinquishing it in maybe overtime or something.

Andre is going to have a big game tonight, I'm feeling. (yeah, that's become the norm but mean I don't think he will struggle with his shot and scoring tonight)

Looking forward to it! Let's go Sixers!!

This is one of those games where I'd take any kind of win, hopefully they exploit good matchups, especially Jrue's. Iggy should be able to do some damage. Love is not quick on defense so Elton should get his share too.

I agree there's not much that can be done on Love, just let him have his usual and force the other players to beat you.

I think it's difficult to grind out a game like this after such a good win. The mind's probably still in celebratory mood but the Sixers gotta win this game to make yesterday's win all the more special.

I really want to see us win the 2nd quarter this game. We've been horrible lately in the 2nd after the starters come out strong in the 1st. Let's hope Thad has a big game tonight. I don't think they have anyone that can handle him.

my league pass feed is all fracked hope it clears up soon

Alright, just made it home in time. Really looking forward to this one.

i thought darko started?

He's hurt, I believe.

humpty reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 20:12

think he's injured

This is a game where I'd like to see Iguodala freelancing a bit on the defensive end. There's no real wing scoring threat for him to lockdown, he can gamble and make plays, get the team out in transition.

Here comes the tip...

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:11

lets. go.

Hawes wins the tip.

The montenegran center goes right at Hawes for an easy hoop in the post.

Hawes off to stupendous suckage

Wes Johnson building a house.

Please drive to the basket, these are not good or tough defenders

Well that was a stupid foul Jrue

Marc says the Wolves can score because they're 8th in scoring - actually, they're 21st in offensive rating and 1st in pace. How many years do you think it will be before advanced stats make it to basketball TV coverage the way OPS and a few other things have made it to TV coverage of baseball?

Hmmn. I'll say three.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 20:19

And I mean, without Beasley they have to be one of the three or four worst offenses you could put out there. Their hot start notwithstanding.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:15

Hawes! lol...

Foot on the line, Hawes.

Andre Jrue

See what meeks is doing

COPY IT

Ugh, don't need the flashy crap against this team. Just put the biscuit in the basket.

Take a time out doug - they need a head slap

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:18

Though 7 feet, Hawes is reluctant to roll on the pick, choosing to spot-up. heh

frustrating

Anyone else see the Thad Young trade rumor? I just saw a second-hand thing w/out a link to the original.

Yeah, that's what I saw, but he doesn't link to the Fox rumor.

I'm not seeing it in there, but I may just be dense.

Bottom of article - there's 3 bullet points of 'random facts'

the the 'heat or threepeat' link

The Thaddeus snippet is the 2nd of the 3 facts

Gotcha.

Could be lots of first round picks available - and lots of teams like cash - just buy one or two

This is a nightmare

Lou for Meeks.

That's Lou's best role, IMO. Catch-and-shoot off the ball.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:20

Let's go Lou.

Looks like we have weary legs just a lil.

garbage into gold

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:22

And Love intentionally throws it up to then go get it past Spencer. hah

Love makes Hawes look pathetically slow. Think about that for a second.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 20:27

I've always thought Love was slow. Hawes, ugh, even worse.

Extended play for Songaila, love it.

I guess Speights isn't good enough to match up with Kosta Koufos.

Look at how easy that pick and roll thing works

That p&r is there all day.

Turner looking confident early. Just wish those 21-footers were dropping from 23 instead.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 20:31

He brings a lot of rebounding to the second unit, which helps when your "bigs" are Songaila and Young.

I was hopeful Songaila could at least do the fundamental things, like make his free throws.

Damn lou - you suck

Thad and Lou both went soft on their last shots when going hard would've resulted in a foul. They clearly aren't the aggressors early. Collins needs to light a fire under them.

You really to need let the strike or s tags work :)

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 20:33

Young is a mystery really. Sometimes he finishes with such authority on a dunk, yet other times he goes to the basket like a mouse meekly (no pun intended) trying to steal a slice of cheese.

Not really a mystery to me - he's much more athlete than basketball player...and easily distracted on the way to the basket

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:32

Andre needs to come back in. For anyone.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:34

Jrue with the runout. Nice!!

OHHHHHHHHH. Jrue with the reverse slam off the steal!

ALways liked ridenour - maybe the wolves like lou :)

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 20:36

They would like Lou, he's like a mini-Beasley, or like a better version of Flynn. Call Kahn and see what he'll give for him.

Ridenour is a better back up point guard :)

Alvin reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 20:38

Hell yeah, let's do this. Ridnour is much better from 3 too.

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 12 at 20:41

If we had Ridnour, I think you'd soon be complaining that Collins was using him way too much. Lou isn't really a point guard; Ridnour is and I think Collins would find a lot of comfort in having a veteran point around. Too much comfort.

That would definitely be my concern. We'd start seeing Ridnour for the entire fourth.

Would you rather see Lou or Ridenour the entire fourth?

Ridenour knows his role

Nice time to foul, Songaila.

How do we go on lockdown on the Spurs one night and let the T-wolves score at will the next night?

Because that's what mediocre teams do, they often play to the level of their competition up and down

PHI 28, MIN 32 after one.

Terrible first quarter, but well within reach. Need to wake up in the second.

Court_visioN on Feb 12 at 20:37

why would you go for a 2-for-1 with 26 seconds left in the quarter?

of course, then songaila fouls to give them free points

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:38

Not a bad quarter considering only down a few and the long late flight, time change etc. But need a little more pep in their step to start the 2nd here, the Wolves aren't going to keep shooting this well and neither are we. Andre needs to take control

They're slow getting back on D. Tired legs, I guess.

Lou is hurt - perfect chance to sit him the rest of the game

This rebounding problem is on its way to being chronic

Lou might get to the line 20 times tonight.

Lou great defense followed up with craptastic 3 attempt

Look at Lou rejecting the guy Eddy's wanted over Jrue last season. Or one of the dozens of guys Eddy's wanted over Jrue, I should say.

I hate Lou so much

Way to shoot in rhythm Lou.

Spurs must be pissed from last night b/c they are destroying the Wizards right now.

Could also be that the wizards are awful :)

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:47

Doug Collins is the man, the guys say they're having fun, that's half the battle. Good sign.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:50

Good look from ET. Jrue, finish.

Turner has been great. On the glass, passing the ball, hitting his shots.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 20:53

More minutes tonight at least, he deserves it.

First lead of the night, let's go.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:52

Jrue with the pat the dribble pull up J. His stroke is nice looking at times, it really looked it on most of the ones he took last night.

Yes the badgers took out TWO #1 Ohio State teams in the past 6 months...go badgers

Wes Johnson, still building a house.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:54

Let's go. Stretch this lead.

Pretty drive and dish by Jrue to EB.

The timberwolves seem to commit a lot more fouls than the spurs and knicks don't they?

K-Love did not seems happy about going to the bench

Sorry - digitl jumping got it backwards - wasn't love who was pulled

Collins is really conservative with foul problems. Typically, you don't have to come out of the game with 2 fouls in the second quarter.

But when you got a guy like lou on the bench to come in - it's alright and makes sense

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 20:58

Keep getting stops. Let's go. RUn here. Lob from Lou!

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:00

The guys look to have their second winds now. heh

I like the fact that it looks like they're using two guys to box out Love on every play.

Minutes for Nocioni. So glad he and Songaila are finally in the rotation.

Showcasing them for the deadline, that's all ;)

Johnny Flynn is worse Lou with dribbling the air out of the ball.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:05

Is he putting the roof on yet?

So is griffin playing in the rookie game or are they just not replacing him?

Still haven't heard. Nocioni is so bad.

New Jersey just took the lead over New York in the 4th. Nice.

Is Amare hurt? Yep, guess so. Just saw him in a suit. NYK by 4 now, with under 3:00 to go. NJ is just terrible.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 21:14

Yea Amar'e out. If NJ could find a win here somehow that would help us.

They just gave mozgov a 3 point play - knicks up 6 2:20 to play

Yeah, I'm watching. Hope the Nets can come back but I'm doubtful.

Fields corner three to end it. Great D by the Nets.

Iguodala got lost between two options there and stuck in the no mans land

He was also fouled.

Saw him asking for one - but with all the digitcal jumping couldn't see it - and Andre is always asking for a foul :)

PHI 54, MIN 50 at the half.

Terrible end to the quarter after they put their foot down and claimed an 11-point lead.

Nocioni is awful. And by that I mean awfully tough.

Did the Wolves cutting into the lead coincide with the arrival of Nocioni on the court?

Kudos to donh though

Terrible last 2 minutes of the half. Should have brought a ten-point lead to half-time.

Yup. Terrible.

I hope Collins remembers the JTI/Thad/Brand lineup got them the lead and goes back to it in the 2nd half.

I hope collins remembers nocioni sucks

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:21

Be interesting to see if we don't have the legs to run here in this 2nd half, how we will operate in the halfcourt, meaning if we don't win it with our defense and need to continue to score to keep up.

Hawks just lost at the buzer cause Stephen Jackson is clutch

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:27

Way to get the defense back on their heels.

Nikola Pekovic leading the game in bemusement

Strong start to the third. Defense looks much better. Hawes with his first goaltend of the year, I believe.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:31

Yes, and one from Dre. ha

7/7 from the line for AI9. I'd love to see him get that FT% back up near 80%.

Wow. I was just looking up games won by teams who didn't hit a single three. Check out this game from 1990. The Suns scored 173 points without hitting a single three.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 21:45

I can't imagine a team in any game scoring 173 points, let alone without a three. That's insane. I don't see it ever happening again.

TS reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 21:48

That had to be the Paul Westhead coached Denver team right? They played that go style that resulted in crazy point totals.

Man, great feed by Jrue. EB blew the bunny.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 21:38

I couldn't believe the pass made it through there.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:41

Dre 3!

AI9 for three.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:42

Damn, that outlet pass from Meeks was Andre Miller like

Come on, make it like 15 by the end of the third.

Way to go, Thad.

Iguodala's got the yips tonight. 3 TOs. Collins yanks him :)

Turner three!

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:44

It's hard to argue with anything Doug is doing right now. He's the man, I'm sorry. They're just coming together like they did that year with DiLeo.

ET 3!

Spurs 101, Wiz 62. In the third quarter.

Wow, I think Pops changed his starting lineup for the first time all season. George Hill started, Manu off the bench.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:46

Just close this win out, please.

This win can be the real confidence booster. Because mentally they see they can fight fatigue, which will be crucial come playoff time.

Nice D, Hawes.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:49

Jo-3!

Big three for Meeks. They were on the verge of blowing this lead with this crap lineup out there.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:50

Whoa, what a look by Turner to Hawes.

Wow, sick pass by Turner, and Hawes finished it.

You've got to be shitting me. Lou for three.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 21:51

That mess was from 32 wasn't it?

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:50

What? YES

On the replay, I can't tell what he was doing. There was no way that was a foul, and Ridnour didn't have his hand in no-man's land. Stupid play, but I guess I'll take it.

BEST WORST PLAY OF THE GAME

PHI 85, MIN 74 after three.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:53

Don't let them even sniff getting back in this thing right here, come out and set the tone that you're not letting up any only up 11.

Starters built the lead w/ defense. Bench maintained with O. I can live w/ it. I'd like to see JTI for a stretch here in the fourth.

Just make a small run at the start of the fourth, then we can spend the rest of the game trying to figure out who should be POTG. :)

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:55

Lou's had some really nice dimes tonight, with another one there.

I think Brand grabbed Love's junk.

Thad just moves too fast

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:57

Great overplay on defense. ugh, charge on Thad.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:58

Meeks rarely failing to get to the line. He runs the court really well. Most times favorably.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 21:59

Good pass from Lou, Thad's not ready.

Disagree on that one. Pass didn't get there clean.

Pass was way too hard

Ugly break run by Lou there. Jrue's coming back in, bring Iguodala back in too for Lou/Meeks. Let JTI run for a while.

POTG is really up in the air. I'm actually leaning toward Turner right now. 5/7/4/1/1/0(tov).

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:04

Don't disrespect Andre like that.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:03

If the roof was on, he just hung the drapes.

Wes Johnson is working on the addition to that house now.

Iguodala making a late push for POTG. hit both of these freebies and he takes the lead.

There we go, Doug. Jrue for Lou. JTI getting a little more burn. Love it.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:06

Thad abusing. Bring it home.

Thad catching fire. Ball game, folks.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:09

Man, what a great effort and execution and coaching for the likely win tonight. We're a force to be reckoned with, whatever degree. I like what I'm seeing and hearing, especially from the players.

You shouldn't expect much less against Kevin Love and a bunch of bad bench players.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Feb 12 at 22:24

You're speaking more game-specific while I'm speaking more overall team-specific. The progression, the quotes tonight from Jrue about his coach, just the whole vibe around what's happening in this particular year, it's good to enjoy it. Each year, the journey is just as fun as probably coming short of the desired destination.

That's like saying it's fun to take a drive to Allentown. Whole point of a journey is going some place. Admittedly, fun roadside stops improve a journey too, but I guess I just don't see effort as the metaphorical equivalent of a fun roadside stop. You can see effort anywhere, like on a construction site; I watch basketball to see basketball.

Well, I mean you have to admit it's more enjoyable to watch basketball when teams are giving effort than just running through the motions out there, trying to pump up their own stats. Though you are a Monta Ellis fan, so maybe that's not a safe assumption.

Let's stick with the driving metaphor. W/out effort, you're driving a Prius and taking the interstate from LA to San Francisco. With effort, you're driving a convertible on the pacific coast highway from LA to San Fran. Same destination, but one drive is much more enjoyable.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Feb 12 at 22:54

Does basketball not comprise itself of effort?

Your comprehension is off apparently.

I'd like to see Turner get 3 more points. 8 guys in double figures has a nice ring to it.

Johnson just put the gazebo in the back yard.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:13

That wasn't Johnson.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:12

And Anthony Tolliver wants to makeover Johnson's house.

This is really tough. Thad, maybe? 9/13 for 18 points, +26 in 25 minutes.

Turtle Bay on Feb 12 at 22:17

Give the POTG to Thad. 18 points on 9/13 that really put the game away. +26 while on the floor so far.

Alvin reply to Turtle Bay on Feb 12 at 22:20

Gotta agree, he made the baskets in the fourth to put them away. 9/13 from the bench is ridiculous. He was showing Wes Johnson and Wayne Ellington's how to score.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:18

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just downright proud and giddy right now with what we're seeing from the team. They are really coming together with Andre accepting the mantle finally. EB has long been beasting. Jrue is growing slowly but surely. Meeks has his moments. Thad shows signs of rounding into form as an integral piece. Lou does his thing, polarizingly. Doug is getting the possible utmost out of this group than one could expect. Maestro-like.

No mention of Turner?

CB reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:26

Why would he be mentioned? He's a bust, remember?

Tray reply to CB on Feb 12 at 22:30

He's certainly no Jodie Meeks. Given Yahoo's report yesterday that Williams's unhappiness with Sloan partly stemmed from Sloan starting Milt Palacio and Keith McLeod over him in his rookie season, wouldn't it be funny if five years from now when Meeks is playing in China and Turner becomes a star, Turner pushes Collins out to get him back for starting Meeks all these games?

Heh. Hilarious.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:41

Then he can leak to the media that Collins wasn't watching enough game tape, and Rick Bucher can do a video montage of Collins through the years that will scientifically prove that the fire in Collins's eyes decreased drastically from his Bulls coaching days to now. Seriously, Bucher said that yesterday. He was like, "you can see it in those old clips, Sloan used to have so much more passion!"

MichaelT reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:28

He'll mention Songaila before he mentions Turner

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 12 at 22:47

"we're seeing from the team" - isn't he part of it?

PHI 107, MIN 87 Final.

Nocioni grabbed a rebound in traffic to secure the 20-point win. Thad is your POTG, I'll have my wrap later tonight.

Glad we got a win, a 20-point win no less. Indeed it was as it should have been expected, but after supporting the Sixers for so long we have had too many letdowns in such games in recent years. Great back-to-back wins for the team, great feeling for the rest of the weekend.

Absolutely. 3-1 on 4 games in 5 days, with games @ ATL, vs ORL and vs SAS in there? That's an awesome, awesome week.

eddies' heady's on Feb 12 at 22:35

Hell yeah great feeling. These games have went the other way far too often for our liking. Great win. I say they sweep their next two before the break.

I'd say you are being greedy, I'd take one. Great that it's not crazy to think that though. Anyone else remember that game in Minny last year? A President's Day EFJ disaster!

Now that Mo is back for Cleveland I think Minny is the worst team in the league. Love, Ridnour, and maybe Johnson/Brewer are the only guys that should be in a NBA rotation.

Still, it was great to see us handle our business after that rough start. REALLY great to see the Thad Young we've been used to seeing all year come out to play tonight. He was huge. Jrue looked very confident again, probably should have had more than 2 dimes if guys converted his passes. Turner is really starting to figure out how to be a playmaker in this league. So fun to watch.

The 0 for the road wizards would like your consideration as worst team in the league

Hmmm that is a close one...

The Wiz at least have some guys that can shoot the ball.

Tray reply to DonH on Feb 12 at 23:10

Beasley belongs in an NBA rotation, he just wasn't available tonight. Maybe Darko does too, actually, and he was hurt as well.

I should have said worst team in the league right now. Darko has been pretty solid this year.

Tray reply to DonH on Feb 13 at 0:39

Well Beasley's only out for a few games, so this is a pretty temporary situation.

bebopdeluxe on Feb 13 at 1:01

I love watching J/T/I out there with Thad and EB...shame that they get hammered so badly on the boards.