Sixers Around the Web - Feb. 20

Steve v on Feb 20 at 8:47

If we dont make a trade for an energy guy/ shot blocker before the deadline think we will bring a guy up from the dleague for a look? Thorn and Stefanskk drafted Sean Williams he has been a great rebounder and especially shot blocker and could fill the athletic shotblocker we need down the stretch. Another guy to look at is Raymond Sikes he played at Clemson a couple years ago and is only 24. He's another long armed, athletic shot blocker that is at least worth a 10 day contract. I'm very surprised the Sixers haven't looked at the d league for talent there is alot of it down there especially for a raw athletic shotblocker.

I think the fact that when Battie is injured they decide Songaila is a better option than looking at a d-league or 10 day guy indicates that this roster isn't going to change much.

deepsixersuede reply to GoSixers on Feb 20 at 13:42

I agree with what you just said; but next year money restraints may have a lot of teams looking for bench players there. An interesting guy, who could be a nice role player next to Thad off the bench could be Ewing's kid. I was shocked to see during the D league all star game how big he looks now, he is listed at 6'9" and 238 lbs. and seems willing to defend.

Watching Sullinger and J.Johnson now and I can't figure how Johnson isn't a 1st rounder. His game reminds me of McAdoo, not at his level but that style.

Tom Moore on Feb 20 at 9:36

Story: Will Iguodala stay or go by Thursday's deadline?

Tom Moore on Feb 20 at 9:54

Column: Thorn is willing to stand pat:

Tom Moore on Feb 20 at 10:19

Grading the Sixers at the all-star break:

The snow Video was pulled by Comcast

"But best wing defender? Sorry, that's Tony Allen. Sky-high foul rate, so he can't do it for as long, but when he's on the court he's flat-out ridiculous. "

lol, i love hollinger.

While Prokhorov was trying to convince Anthony to become the Nets' transcendent star, another Russian was holding up a deal between the Knicks and Nuggets. According to a team source, the Nuggets want rookie center Timofey Mozgov included in the trade but the Knicks have been reluctant to do so. New York Daily News

I can understand gallo being a hold up - but this Russian dud(e)?

The Sacramento Kings are seriously considering the possibility of applying to the NBA by the league's March 1 deadline for relocation to Anaheim for next season, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking. ESPN.com

About damn time

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Feb 20 at 17:11

Jrue and Turner are opposites, in that Jrue was the HS POY who struggled in college and was drafted based on potential (sort of like Thad.) While ET was a nobody befoer collge, hung around 3 years and was drafted based on college production.

But they all are talented and seem professional and driven to succeed.

Tom, quick question:

I don't want to pry in peoples personal lives, but in general rterms do all of the young players hang out, or are some more loners (or have their own outside group?)

I know that Jrue/ET/Meeks are tight. What about Lou/Thad/Speights/Hawes/Brackins? All eight are close in age- even Iguodala is not that much older.

tk76 reply to tk76 on Feb 20 at 17:17

I'm not saying teammates have to be close off the court. But it does inform some judgments about which players will continue as part of the nucleus of this team going forward. I think it makes it more likely that Meeks sticks around since he has chemistry on and off the floor with key guys like Jrue and ET. And if Speights or Hawes are not as close to the other guys, it makes it that much more likely they will be gone (which they might be anyway for basketball reasons.)

Do you think any of this informs the front offices's thinking, or is it solely a basketball thing. Because I know Snyder wanted to move towards higher character guys and a more team oriented group.

mgfields reply to tk76 on Feb 20 at 17:46

I follow the players on twitter. Brackins and Spieghts have tweeted about playing video games together. Turner has tweeted/joked with Lou, Spieghts, and Hawes.

Seems to me they get along pretty well.

dwhite reply to tk76 on Feb 20 at 18:15

Whatever his practice habits are (and they must be really, really bad), there's no doubt Speights gets along and fits in with his teammates. I mean for a dude who's getting DNP's every other game, his cheerleading has never once wavered. I think it was the last game, the camera shot to Speights and Hawes joking and laughing with each other - and that's his direct competition for playing time :)

dwhite reply to dwhite on Feb 20 at 18:18

And Hawes is a republican, no less !

johnrosz on Feb 20 at 19:17

How can they possibly bring Snow back after he fell asleep at work? On the air no less?

It's gone viral to the point where it's sort of embarrassing to Comcast (as evident by them pulling it from youtube)

Wasn't right for Zumoff to call him out on the air, but I mean...nodding off on tv?

Pretty sure I was nodding at that point of the game too. Doubt they fire him, though. That's really not the worst thing he's done this season, there are times when I wish he was asleep.

No all-star game tread Brian?

Joe reply to Joe on Feb 20 at 20:19

No all-star game thread either?

I guess I should've put one up. I'm not really watching. Feel free to use this one.