Game 57 Thread: PHI vs. WAS

Thorn has spoken:

'I think we'll do something but it won't be major.'
tk76 reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 17:45

Well Meeks turned out OK.

how exciting

My bet is Jrue, Thad, Speights, Kapono, Songaila for CP3. That's not major.

The deal will fall apart when the Hornets demand Hawes and the Sixers refuse to part with him.

Probably.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 18:20

Who wouldn't rather live in Philly than New Orleans?

A lot of people

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 19:25

You don't say.

mopey reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 17:51

As long as "something" is taller than 6'9", I'd be happy

Buying out Jason Kapono is 'something'

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 18:15

Bring back Sam!

He's supposedly in play

So I brought this up yesterday- and it seems even more interesting now that yet another team in the division has a big name star.

I see a ton of parallels between this current Sixers team and the Bulls from 2004/5 (Baby Bulls) under Skiles' 1st year. They had a similar dramatic turn-around after a terrible start. They built around a ton of youth but no "superstars." 1st year coach who demanded execution.

I'll copy the details below. Tell me what you think. Do we have a similar future ahead (or lack there of? :)

tk76 reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 17:54

The 2004/5 Bulls:
They started 3-14 and went on to win 47 games (44-20 before losing their last game.)

The previous year they finished out 5-17 in their last 22 games. Over 82 games that Bulls team had an analogous 82 game stretch of:

9-31(22%) and then surged to 29-13(69%). So even better than the Sixers (8-34(19%) followed by 24-16 (60%.)

----------------------------
Some more parallels. The turnaround started in Skiles 1st year. Like Collins he started out abysmally (3-14) and then the team took off. Like Collins, Skiles carries the reputation of getting a ton initially out of a team and then risking team burn out.

Like the Sixers, that Bulls team lacked star power, and had no player with 17 ppg scoring. It also had Nocioni :)

The ages of the leading scorers mirrored the Sixers:
22, 24, 21, 25, 19(Deng), 25 and 22. Actually younger than the Sixers.

Of note that Bulls team disappointed the next year (41-41) before peaking with 49 wins the next year (after another slow 3-9 start.) They lost in the 2nd round. And Brooks was fired the next season after yet another terrible start (2-10.)

So some interesting parallels between that Bulls squad and this year's Sixers.

Then they bottomed out, got luck in the Lottery and got D.Rose...

Tray reply to tk76 on Feb 23 at 19:28

Um... we have Iguodala, who's a lot better than any single Baby Bull. Ergo, we're unlikely to bottom out. I think the better comparison is to the Sixers of two or three years ago, a mediocre team that played a contender tough in the first round but never built on that "success" at all. Back then we were hopeful about Thad and Speights; now it's JTI.

Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 18:14

Video: Rod Thorn on the Sixers at the trade deadline, as well as the Knicks and Nets getting stars:

Maybe this?

"According to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD, the 76ers have interest in 7-0, 250 pound Suns castoff Earl Barron. A four year NBA vet, Barron (3 ppg. & 3.3 rpg. in 2010-11) played in 12 games for the Suns this season, but has not seen action in a NBA game since December 20th. The Knicks are also said to be interested."

Saw it on philadunkia

Earl Barron is in 'heavy' play - his name has been mentioned for over a week connected to the KNicks once the Anthony trade went down. He'd be a 10 day contract addition :)

tk76 reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 18:36

Can't get much more minor than a pro-rated minimum deal to Earl Baron. I feel I already wasted too much time and effort even typing that sentence on the matter.

I'd rather sign a D-Leage Player.

Nets wanted Deron - he's exciting!

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 19:29

"In a shocker, Raymond Felton, who was traded to the Nuggets in the Anthony deal, is actually the 11th most exciting player in the league."

Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 18:36

Kapono or Songaila would be most likely to go.

tk76 reply to Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 18:45

Kapono + Dong for Sam :)

Yay buyouts

I hate comcast

The bobcats seem to be tanking it out - looking for expiring contracts and giving back value - the sixers have some expiring contracts and some mediocre young talent they can even add into it

So if Wallace was only worth Andre Miller in return- what does that say about Iguodala's value?

Wallace has one of the better contracts in the league given his production. But I get the sense that anyone being paid over 8M who is not a direct gate draw is seen as worthless in the current environment.

To me it says the bobcats are looking to shed money, not get value, and that the sixers could get tyson chandler cheap

Iverson was worth only Miller in return... o_O

Crawford for Hinrich next?

Man, wasn't this supposed to be a quiet deadline? It feels like it might be one of the busiest ever...

Unless of course you're the sixers :)

Anyone having problems w/ league pass?

I think many are discounting the Deron unhappy element of this trade. He was a problem child in Utah and if he is such in NJ, I don't see what they gained, all the while losing three lottery picks.

I think people are selectively accepting certain comments as true to fit their view of it.

If we are believing all reports - Deron was unhappy because of how Utah traded him without telling him. He found out about the damn trade watching sports center. The douches on ESPN knew he was traded befoore he was - that's a bush league move by the Jazz - they gave him no warning.

According to reports THAT's what he's unhappy about - he was treated like livestock by the Jazz and sold for pennies on the dollar - for magic beans - without an even by your leave

Everything I've read say that's why he's unhappy mostly - not because he's going to jersey but because the jazz punked him (utah fails again)

Tray reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 19:30

So Deron was unhappy in Utah because he was traded by Utah. Come on, that makes no sense. Why did Utah deal him if he wasn't ALREADY UNHAPPY before they traded him? They knew he wasn't going to extend.

I wish i didn't have to spell it out - you think you'd get it.

Aside from your rather asinine insult of New Orleans - I don't reply to your foolishness any more - Brian seems interested in entertaining your foolishness but I'm done

Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 19:14

An NBA source said the Sixers would look closer at Barron "depending on what happens between now and the deadline."

Well, my league pass is fucked. I'm not going to be able to watch. Anyone have a link?

Sixers red hot...

Taking very bad shots though.

Sixers looking great. Elton tearing up. Jrue on fire. Spencer doing a nice job getting under the basket, forced McGee into the goaltend.

um...not looking so "great" on d.

Nice pass Turner

Turner looking very good early. The D is absent though...

I'd love to see Iggy's percentage on stand-still open corner threes. Those have become good shots.

lou just made wall look like the flash. my god they need to help on him.

ok so far lou is as you guys like to say "bad lou" tonight. id sit him for most of 2nd quarter.

FUCK YOU LOU

Brian, you're not missing much...horrible effort on D.

Terrible quarter. Starters' defense was awful, second unit slowed down the scoring a little.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 19:34

The guys need to wake up and realize it's not break anymore.

speights getting minutes!!

Showcasing?

Flat after the all star break huh?

Man Lou is awful tonight so far.

Lou is awful many nights

What do you all think, best performance that never won the dunk contest? I think so.

Iggy 2006.

MW reply to smh1980 on Feb 23 at 19:40

They did this list on the pre game shows on saturday night. Iggy came in 2nd I believe. And i can't even remember who won.

The midget who plays for the celtics since he got like 50 tries at his BS dunk

Americans with Disabilities Act

Last dunk contest I will ever watch until the injustice is repaired

smh1980 reply to GoSixers on Feb 23 at 19:48

He won 2 because he can jump for a midget. I thought that was the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. McGee probably has a case for his performance this past weekend but if he went up against Iggy in 2006 he would have been destroyed, same to Blake Griffin but he is the NBA's chosen one so he probably would still win.

I don't often yell at my tv (when the raptors drafted araujo i let out a yelp of joy for instance) but that contest just pissed me off - it was so unjust - sure nate can jump - but iguodalas dunk was BETTER and it didn't take him an inordinate amount of chances.

Blake would be more impressive if he jumped over the high portion of the car

Court_visioN on Feb 23 at 19:41

So they aren't calling fouls tonight?

Yea Jrue!

not supposed to be a reply obviously

anyone else have league pass on time warner out there? these fuckers aren't very helpful. wondering if it's a problem w/ the feed they're getting and other people are having the same issue.

i can't even activate my broadband companion to watch it online.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 23 at 19:50

Fine on my end.

Snow is the worst... I'd prefer a person who knew nothing about basketball but could form a normal sentence

Normal sentence huh? So frazier is out

And judging from the Houston game, Drexler is out.

Sweet look form Dre and Jrue puts in an absurd floater..

Way to go, Jrue.

What a BS foul.. 3 minutes of Lou to end it

Hawes put-back then block... might be a first

F me. OK, I'm going to have to watch it on demand on broadband later tonight, or the replay on league pass at 10:30, if they have the problem fixed by then. In the mean time, I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I've been swearing at people on the phone all night. Fuck time warner. Enjoy the game, I'll be back late w/ a recap, assuming I actually get to see it and don't see the score beforehand, which will unleash another string of profanity.

Someone needs to put Wall on the ground.

Will someone tell Lou (and Turner on that last possession) to give Wall a little space for God's sake. Let's see him shoot jumpers.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:05

Sort of a better quarter but only relative to the abysmal first. Got to the line frequently in the 2nd but defense, particularly transition D, has to shore up majorly.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:26

Hawes with the major hops w/ the putback slam! lol

Serious hangtime.

Hawes with the putback SLAMMMMMMM!!!

Wall has flopped twice in the last minute. BS calls.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:28

Sweet bounce pass thru traffic by Jrue to Meeks for the layup on a delayed break. Hard pushing of the ball early here, more of that.

Andray Blatche's jersey has his name spelt as "Baltche"

TS reply to T McL on Feb 23 at 20:32

That's hilarious.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:31

Hawes w/ the block, EB with the block.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:34

Jrue with the 3! Good legs under that jumper.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:37

Hawes down the floor first? He had to be cherry-picking, no? Good look ahead from Dre though.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:37

Hawes w/ the strip of Wall. Spencer, you're the man. He wants another player of the game nod.

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:39

Aaannnd....Hawes w/ the airball! haha

Beautiful play

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:40

Shit, what a play call on the EB to Thad for the oop. Really nice play there.

Eb to Thad oop!

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:44

Put the hammer down here to end this quarter and get it up around 20 heading into the 4th. Much better defense and overall energy in this half

Rumors heard on the way home

The Wallace to Portland deal falling apart - Jordan cold feet the rumor - unsurprising

Hinrich going to Atlanta?

Eric Snow with the pathetic attempt to make a joke about Blatches jersey.

The trade has been completed. Hinrich and Armstrong for Bibby, Evans, Crawford and a first-round pick. Players have been informed of deal.

Strong job NOT taking advantage of the injured wizards player lou

He was so pissed when Thornton took the foul....really wanted to showcase his patented pump-fake travel again.

I'm quite glad they came out in the second half and put it t othe wizards.

Now - if the real excited sixers fan was wearing a jersey of someone on the current roster - i'd like him more

Turner beasting for that layup

I love when he remembers that he is 6'7

eddies' heady's on Feb 23 at 20:55

Evan deciding to show up in garbage time. Too bad it isn't Phoenix.

Plus-16 right now, 9 points on 50 % shooting and 6 boards, solid defense.

He's not garbage.

ET!

Damn it Mo - you have such a stroke - ifonly you'd play a LITTLE bit of defense (and remember you have a low post game) you'd be so damn good it's a shame

Oh man... then he draws the charge...now airball.. this is too much.

Should be seeing Nocioni soon to add some much needed toughness to this garbage time unit.

Speights 3!

Remember when the Mullet started?

Amare has 11 points on 8 shots in the third

Carmelo has 16 points - on 16 shots

Stoudemire has zero rebounds

From a purely fantasy point of view - COME ON

Collins: "I gotta be a dick sometimes"

Has willie green been starting in New Orleans long?

Alex Kennedy: The New Jersey Nets will likely buyout Dan Gadzuric, source tells HOOPSWORLD. He's another cheap option for teams that need frontcourt help,

Knicks will get him.

I'd rather sign a D-Leaguer instead.

Come on - the sixers aren't going to sign anyone :)

Stefanski's final move signing Tony Battie cost the sixers signing a D-Leaguer. Got to love Stefanski.

I'm not really sure not signing battie and saving that million for a d-leaguer would have made much of a difference.

I'm glad to see ESPN did an interview with Chris Paul regarding the Carmelo deal...YOU'RE NEXT CHRIS

Tom Moore on Feb 23 at 22:38

Video: Brand after Sixers moved to 28-29 by beating Wizards:

Jalen Rose is funny

Carmelo Anthony is a volume scorer

Rudy Fernandez is my favorite NBA player I hardly ever watch play

Agent Andy Miller says if Fernandez is put in the Charlotte deal he will ask for a buyout and Rudy will go back to Spain.

I'm guessing the ESPN highlight will be:

John Wall, John Wall, John Wall, McGee dunk contest... and the Sxiers win by 27.

Wow, the Kings beat the Magic. Surely, thanks to Cousins' foul trouble. He was atrocious. 2/7 from the floor, 4 turnovers, 5 fouls in 25 minutes.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 24 at 1:38

Something like 7 boards and 5 assists sprinkled in there too.

5 assists to 4 turnovers is a good ratio?